"The Diana Chronicles" by Tina Brown (2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've learned to read everything but take it with a grain of salt;what passes for "reporting" these days is very untrustworthy.I just read a gossipy-type magazine's article and was astounded with all of the factual errors and misquotes(things taken out of context and given a new meaning).I hope a great deal of money made from the concert goes to Diana's charities but know that there definately are other expenses that have to be paid with some of the monies earned;that's a typical practice of many non-profit organizations.The best non-profits do pay a lion's share of earnings to the charities involved.
Will this information be made public?

The money is going to the Princess' Memorial Fund and to the various charities she supported. Her Memorial Fund and Charities help the less fortunate how is that a con? And you shouldn't count on the dailymail as an accurate source of information.
As I thought you knew, the memorial fund, of land drain fame, is a laughing stock. Many papers and TV channels carried the story of how the Princes are not giving the tickets or proceeds to Dianas old charities, just selling them the tickets at the same price as anyone else pays. As I understand it, If they make any profit after all expenses have been paid, that money will indeed go to the Diana fund who help such worthy causes as failed asylum seekers to pay lawyers like Cherie Blair.

If they are charging the charities full price for the tickets, it is a confidence trick and it doesn't alter the fact that the Brown book is a rehash, hence my comment.

Last edited:
The Memorial Fund used to have it's offices near the Marriot Hotel. On the next floor up was a TV studio I worked at for about 6 months. The Fund offices were almost always empty and laughingly, it had a plastic donation box on the welcome desk but no receptionist. This Memorial Fund is about as useful to society as Jeffrey Archer.

You mean the Marriott County Hall? That's where we stay when we visit London, and I seem to remember seeing something about Diana Memorial Fund on one of the doors just as you turn off Westminster Bridge Road. I've gone in and out of the hotel at all times of the day, and I don't recall ever seeing anyone going to or from that office or seeing anyone inside the lobby.

As far as the book is concerned, I suggest that anyone interested in reading it, but not sure if it'll be a waste of money and not happy with Tina Brown from reading the reviews, just wait a while and pick up a copy second hand at Amazon or eBay if you want a copy to keep. That way you won't be spending so much and Tina Brown won't be getting royalties from your purchase.

That's the one. Above the Di floor were Channel Five studios for "Terry and Gabby". The offices closed I believe, as did the TV studio when the show was axed. I don't know what's in the MCH now but I'd be interested to know where the Di Fund relocated to and if it ever gets any visitors. If you walk through the archway closest to Westminster Bridge, there's a set of double doors and a staircase leading downwards to reception. That was where people had to sign in and I never once saw "Memorial Fund" next to a person's name.

Just in case you want to visit and donate BeatrixFan! :ROFLMAO:

The County Hall
Westminster Bridge Road
London
SE1 7PB

The money is going to the Princess' Memorial Fund and to the various charities she supported. Her Memorial Fund and Charities help the less fortunate how is that a con? And you shouldn't count on the dailymail as an accurate source of information.

if the money is going to her charities then why are they being charged for tickets?

The implication is that had Camilla not been on the scene, Prince Charles and Diana might have had a chance.

i'm always surprised when i read something like this. for anyone to think that charles and diana had a chance, at any point, IMO is absurd. this marriage was a bad idea from the very beginning and to blame it's breakdown on camilla is crazy.

IMO, I don't think Camilla is the major cause of the failure of their marriage. Like I've said in another thread, the two person must do efforts to make a succesful union. I'm not saying they didn't try, on the contrary. Perhaps they even tried too hard, they fooled themselves by thinking that one day it will be alright.

i've just always felt that arranged marriages don't really work and i've always felt that this was arranged. for two people who have nothing in common to marry is a recipe for disaster.

Just in case you want to visit and donate BeatrixFan!

:lol: Oh no, I don't want to get stamped in the rush.

i've just always felt that arranged marriages don't really work and i've always felt that this was arranged. for two people who have nothing in common to marry is a recipe for disaster.

Quite right. I still think that at a time Charles and Diana had some 'affection' for each other, but maybe not love. I mean that we saw them held hands after polo match and even kiss without knowing that there were cameras around. They were not forced to do such acts so I believe they really like each other ... Saying that there was a total lack of feeling would be a lie.

Last edited:
Some of them work, most only work for a short time. Those that work, work well, those that don't have either the rub along and have 'other' friends arrangement, separation or divorce route to follow.

in some cultures where arranged marriages are the norm i think they have a better chance, i'll concede that, but i don't think that in charles' and diana's situation it ever would have worked...they were just too different. she may not have been worldly but she knew enough to know that she didn't want to share her husband and that it was unacceptable by today's standards. women in the highest echelons of society don't have to sit back and turn the other cheek when it comes to extramarital affairs because they don't have as much to lose. and i don't think that either was willing to learn enough about the other's hobbies/interests.

This arranged marriage may have been nothing more than the two grandmothers getting together and surmising how charming it would be for Charles and Diana to get together then dropping heavy hints to the couple to that same effect.

they were just too different. she may not have been worldly but she knew enough to know that she didn't want to share her husband and that it was unacceptable by today's standards. women in the highest echelons of society don't have to sit back and turn the other cheek when it comes to extramarital affairs because they don't have as much to lose. and i don't think that either was willing to learn enough about the other's hobbies/interests.
I doubt that either of them went into the marriage with a view to sharing, as you say times had changed and I think Charles was aware of it as Diana.

12 years can be a huge age gap unless you do have things in common. With that gap, you usually have different tastes in music, films etc, different aged friends that you may have had for years and value. 12 extra years can give another perspective to all sorts of things because of life experiences and opinions. Add to that the difference in pastimes, Charles loved hunting, shooting, fishing, country pursuits, Scotland and the country in general. Diana preferred the town, nightclubs, premiers etc. She was frightened of horses, could barely ride and I can see that Charles would have been impatient with that.

Anyone who has been through the arranged marriage system, (old money marrying old, or someone clawing their way up the social ladder) and survived it, could probably tell you of all the compromises they had to make. If one or both of them won't compromise - divorce or misery is the only option.

This arranged marriage may have been nothing more than the two grandmothers getting together and surmising how charming it would be for Charles and Diana to get together then dropping heavy hints to the couple to that same effect.
Isn't that how most upper class marriages came about?

Isn't that how most upper class marriages came about?

Not only upper class! ;) My father's first girlfriend was the daughter of my grandmother's best friend and the two mothers never forgave them when they broke up.

And when you have Lady Fermoy as your maternal grand mother who took the side of her son-in-law, John Spencer, during the divorce of Diana's parents ... I don't know if I would have listen to her about who I'll have to marry.

The Diana Chronicles reviewed by Sarah Vine ( The Times)

The Diana Chronicles-Arts & Entertainment-Books-Biography-TimesOnline

´´ I should say at this point that in the great Camilla versus Diana debate, Brown is firmly in the Diana camp. The Duchess of Cornwall is seen as a throaty, feral temptress (“women who love horses usually love sex . . . Camilla Shand loved horses all right”), whose mature allure constantly undermined Diana’s girlish charms. The implication is that had Camilla not been on the scene, Prince Charles and Diana might have had a chance.´´´
_______

A reader's comment of this review:

I saw Tina Brown in conversation with Andrew Roberts at the ICA last week and she was deeply imporessive - focused, natural and yet a commanding presence in crisp white blouse, big glossy belt, black skirt and high heels. And yet I could not help wondering how far the cleverly calculating Diana that comes through the book is painted in the image of the author, and indeed whether any biography, however good, will ever give us the true person?

End of quote.

I was wondering the same when I read about Tina Brown. But if so, her
attitude towards Camilla is understandible: it must be hard to watch how a prized lady who many people liken you with is not the winner in a contest with an older lady... It goes back to the old question why people are attractive and are loved while others are much more beautiful... This is a topic Diana and her look-alikes must have feared, potentially because they don't understand that attraction.

'Overblown and overhyped'

Whatever its actual merits, Tina Brown's Diana Chronicles has been the most talked-about book of the season and Sarah Bradford's its most talked-about review - even though, until today, it had not been published. It remains unclear why the Spectator refused to print Bradford's piece, given that she is widely considered to be this country's foremost authority on Diana. But here it is, abridged and edited

'Overblown and overhyped' | News | Guardian Unlimited Books

Was there a Lady Tryon who was Prince Charles' confidante? Is there any reference to her in the book? Was she friends too with Diana? I read an extract from the book from the internet and it was a right analysis of the phenomenal effect Diana had globally. This is in agreement with serious articles written about her at the time of her death e.g. in TIME magazine. Ingrid Seward in a thought provoking article which I read because it was linked from CasiraghiTrio's site puts it aptly, "Prince Charles may have made a mistake in marrying Diana but thank God he made that mistake". She goes onto acknowledge Camilla's positive influence on the Prince of Wales' life now and that is it to be aplauded. But it should not detract from giving credit to Diana, where credit is due and the book 'Diana Chronicles' IMHO aims to do just that.

'Overblown and overhyped'

Whatever its actual merits, Tina Brown's Diana Chronicles has been the most talked-about book of the season and Sarah Bradford's its most talked-about review - even though, until today, it had not been published. It remains unclear why the Spectator refused to print Bradford's piece, given that she is widely considered to be this country's foremost authority on Diana. But here it is, abridged and edited

'Overblown and overhyped' | News | Guardian Unlimited Books

Thank you for the link, Skydragon. I had fun with this "review" as well:

The digested read: The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited

Was there a Lady Tryon who was Prince Charles' confidante? Is there any reference to her in the book?

If I remember correctly, "Kanga" - Lady Tryon - was "revealed" as Charles' "mistress" before there ever was talk about Camilla. I'm not sure if there was any truth in these accusations.

If I remember correctly, "Kanga" - Lady Tryon - was "revealed" as Charles' "mistress" before there ever was talk about Camilla. I'm not sure if there was any truth in these accusations.
Poor Charles all these lovers must have worn him out! :ROFLMAO:

Brilliant link, thanks Jo. :flowers:

Was there a Lady Tryon who was Prince Charles' confidante?
The Australian-born Dale Tryon was indeed a member of Charles' inner circle. We have a short thread on her, here.

The Diana Chronicles

Has anyone read "The Diana Chronicles" By Tina Brown? Because I started it...but since I'm new at this Diana research stuff, I'm not sure if even the half of it is true! It is said to be a memoir by one of her very bestfriends...but while I know Diana could be a down right spoiled individual. I just wondered if anyone besides myself thought that there was no way that Tina Brown could have come up with such a story line and written a book about someone she never even knew! What is everyone's take on this book? Because it honestly confuses me...because it seems like she is getting information from false sources because those who knew Diana wouldn't have told all the things that are in this book, especially those so close to her like this woman claims!

Maybe 20 pieces of silver was the price of betrayal of someone other than Christ?

Back
Top Bottom