"The Diana Chronicles" by Tina Brown (2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Emily said:
(partial quote
Despite my resistance, I had to face the facts.

Emily, thank you so much for sharing your story. Many people could benefit from keeping an open mind such as you did. I think it's important to accept new realities as they come to light. It's difficult to see our heroes tarnished, and to find that the ideas that we held were not rooted in truth.

I would tend to doubt Tina's version because she is a fashion/celebrity-type icon that is good at self-promotion. I think she would err on the side of giving the public a tittilating comment regardless of whether it was true or not or more importantly, regardless of whether it was reported in the right context or not.

I seriously doubt she cares whether she hurts Charles or Diana with the book. For that reason, she can be more reliable than most but I don't trust her willingness to spill out the juicy detail and paint it in the most sensational light.

I'm more inclined to believe, or at least to rely somewhat on the new book.
Tina is not in either Diana or Charles camp, so she is impartial there. And she has obviously done her best to question all sources and research all the information she could find.

of course, I'm not going to take every word as a fact. After all Tina, like most (if not all) authors aims to sell books - the more sensational the story, the better.

Ithink it's rather unfortunate that the Goldsmith allegation came up. It's not going to make a difference in regard to the succession to the throne, and it's just another weight around the Spencers' necks. (In particular, I mean Lady Jane and Lady Sarah.)

This book doesen't only paint Diana in a bad light but Charles and Camilla as well.
I wonder if it would make to the bestseller's list? I hope not.

sirhon11234 said:
This book doesen't only paint Diana in a bad light but Charles and Camilla as well.
I wonder if it would make to the bestseller's list? I hope not.

I don't think the books paints Prince Charles in a bad light - on the contrary, it seems to be rather sympathetic towards him, sort of painting him as a victim of the two women.

It's certainly very harsh with Diana and Camilla though.

As I've said, I'm going to read the book before making up my mind - I'm certainly intrigued by the fact Tina is so well-connected and has used so many sources, and unlike many books credible sources.

Excerpt from 'The Diana Chronicles'

August 31, 1997. paris. The car that sped into the Pont D'Alma Tunnel at twenty-three minutes past midnight was carrying the most famous woman in the world. The icon of blondness whose long legs were crossed in the back seat of the black Mercedes was at the end of a chaotic night out and her mood was sour.

Excerpt from 'The Diana Chronicles' - USATODAY.com

I am most suprised that Trevor Rees-Jones talked to Tina Brown. Why, I wonder?

ysbel said:
I am most suprised that Trevor Rees-Jones talked to Tina Brown. Why, I wonder?

I think she got that quote from the Operation Paget report. The same as with the Repossi-ring-stuff.

Ah interesting, thanks Jo.

Avalon said:
As I've said, I'm going to read the book before making up my mind - I'm certainly intrigued by the fact Tina is so well-connected and has used so many sources, and unlike many books credible sources.

For me the interesting thing after reading the excerpt is that it's a very journalistic approach on the topic. Brown starts with things that are (more or less) proven, interprets them and the motives behind these actions according to plausibility and then names sources who stand to what they say to bolster up her claims.

Of course we will never know if it's the truth she came up with as human behaviour and motivation is sometimes very irrational, so plausibilities alone don't help to figure out what really was going on.

But there are some advantages why Brown's evaluation of the plausibilities might be right at score point. She has an excellent reputation as a reporter and she did the job of editor-in-chief long enough to know exactly how to evaluate claims and stories. She herself is part of the same circle Diana moved in. Thus she was not only aware of the gossip but is able to interpret it from a secure basis of firsthand knowledge about this way of life.

And I liked the way she evaluated the whole "ring"-story from such a refreshing point of common sense. She simply asked: would Muhammed al-Fayed allow for such a (rather cheap and pret-a-porter) ring as engagement ring for Dodi and Diana? I agree with her, this is very unrealistic.

Seems to be an interesting read. I have long ceased to believe that the whole truth will ever be available for me. So what? If I get a believable interpretation of Diana's life that answers the questions in a way I can say okay to, it's alright with me.

Jo of Palatine said:
And I liked the way she evaluated the whole "ring"-story from such a refreshing point of common sense. She simply asked: would Muhammed al-Fayed allow for such a (rather cheap and pret-a-porter) ring as engagement ring for Dodi and Diana? I agree with her, this is very unrealistic...

That was indeed one of the parts proved me this book is worth a read. I never thought of it but if Dodi and Diana were indeed to get engaged, Muhammed Al-Fayed would surely make an exclusive ring with a precious, rare and eye-catching stone.

Last edited:
Avalon said:
That was indeed one of the parts proved me this book is worth a read. I never thought of it but if Dodi and Diana were indeed to get engaged, Muhammed Al-Fayed would surely make an exclusive ring with a precious, rare and eye-catching stone.

You said: "I never thought of it!" :flowers: - and that's my point. You need to be an insider to think along these lines. Ms. Brown does - so I will read her book... ;)

Can't wait!

sassie said:
Hold onto your hats, because there is a new one coming out in June by Tina Brown that is described thusly:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The Diana Chronicles, an exposé of the negative
feelings that people such as the Queen Mother, Fergie, Frances Shand-
Kydd, Raine Spencer, Ruth, Lady Fermoy and Princess Michael of Kent
had towards the late Diana. The book also allegedly makes the
claim that Earl Spencer was not Diana's real father.
[/FONT]

Great. An 'expose of negative feelings'. Who would even want to waste the time reading that?

Well, I have the book on reserve at my Public Library so that when it comes in, I will be notified. I want to read it first then decided if I will buy it and make it a part of my permanent collection.

Tina Brown always does interesting (Ahem ahem ...) work and research, to say the least.

-- Abbie :flowers:

the most part of the preview which I used to disagree was that Prince Charles was not the love of Camilla's life, and it was Andrew Parker Bowles. Then after comparing other ways of love, I have to agree with Ms. Brown's opinion and she is a very sharp person. Now I am very looking forward to see how Ms Brown to put all these upper class women together and give us a big protrait of the dramatic physological changes of British upper class women in the last century.

Tina Brown's 'Diana' — A Royal Feast

Ten years after the brutal death of Diana, Princess of Wales, what are we to make of her? Was she, as most of the British public prefer to believe, a saintly creature betrayed and humiliated by the chilly indifference of Prince Charles and his dowdy mistress Camilla? Or was she a far from frail flibbertigibbet whose doe-eyed fragility disguised the mind of a modern Machiavelli? Or was she, perhaps, both?

Tina Brown's 'Diana' — A Royal Feast - June 8, 2007 - The New York Sun

Tina does Di

Tina Brown and Princess Diana. The Belle of Buzz and the People's Princess. A pair of it-Brit-girls who rocked their worlds, and changed ours. Tina Does Di! Now there's a marquee to make a publisher swoon

Tina does Di - USATODAY.com

Diana's delusion: secretly married and living by the pool

PRINCESS DIANA considered converting to Islam during her relationship with the Pakistani heart surgeon Hasnat Khan, according to a new book

Diana's delusion: secretly married and living by the pool - World - smh.com.au

Last edited:
For those in the U.S. 20/20 on ABC is going to do a segment on "new revelations" on Diana tonight. What those are going to be I don't know. I was just reading USA Today and it claimed one of Tina Brown's big revelations is that Diana spent a night with Charles on the royal train prior to the wedding. For all of us, I'm sure it's not big news that that was a rumor (or that it could have been Camilla on the train).

Funny how Tina has waited ten years to tell (or should that be sell?) her story.

Maybe Tina's revelations are like a 401k account... put it aside for later and hope the monetary value has skyrocketed?

I don't think Tina has wrote a typical money-seeking, sensations-full book, she's done a huge research work, she's well-connected and she managed to get interviews from people, who previously refused to speak to public (friends, employees, distant relatives).

While I may not agree with some claims in the book (based on reviews), I do think it's definitely worth a read.

iowabelle said:
For those in the U.S. 20/20 on ABC is going to do a segment on "new revelations" on Diana tonight. What those are going to be I don't know. I was just reading USA Today and it claimed one of Tina Brown's big revelations is that Diana spent a night with Charles on the royal train prior to the wedding. For all of us, I'm sure it's not big news that that was a rumor (or that it could have been Camilla on the train).

You mean, Diana wasn't really a virgin when she got married? I'm stunned. :ROFLMAO:

I don't know, Tina Brown totally dumbed down the New Yorker magazine when she took it over. Her reputation in New York has been of pure fluff.

So I don't know how much gravitas a biography written by Tina Brown would be.

From what I've read its not so much an expose but an analysis of the celebrity of Diana and in the realm of celebritydom, Tina certainly knows her stuff.

They're showing a documentary on the Diana Chronicles here in the U.S. on ABC.

sirhon11234 said:
They're showing a documentary on the Diana Chronicles here in the U.S. on ABC.

I just watched it this evening. They interviewed Tina Brown along with some other "friends", and revealed nothing new or different from what we have read or know already. As I watched a smiling Tina Brown being interviewed by a rather jolly man...it was almost as if the two had forgotten or disregarded the fact that they were discussing a woman who had died in very tragic circumstances. They were actually have a good time airing bits and pieces of Diana's character and personality. It was rather sad, really. I was wondering just how many millions the book will bring to it's author...and did she really need the money that badly.

Camilla never wanted to marry Charles

"The tall, soft-cheeked English rose I first met at the American embassy in 1981, when she was a new bride, had become as phosphorescent as a cartoon," observed Tina Brown. "Striding on three-inch heels across the high-ceilinged grill room of the Four Seasons, she towered like Barbarella.

Camilla never wanted to marry Charles | the Daily Mail

I have posted the first 'preview' from the Mail (who have purchased the rights to serialise) in the Royal Library thread. :flowers:

"Brown, who in 1985 attacked the Prince of Wales' neglect of his young wife as the reason for their crumbling marriage just four years into their supposedly 'fairy-tale' life, has this time turned the tables on Diana, and portrays her as a "spiteful, manipulative" woman..." makes you wonder who is actually the manipulative one here. wonder what changed her mind????

i'll remain open minded until i read it. i just find it interesting that she appeared to be diana's friend and now she's changed her mind. curious?

I'm disapointed by all this. I thought that this 10 years after Diana would be 'celebrated' in a positive way, by showing the good moments. In stead, some people see the occasion to get her down. Not fair for her neither for her sons. IMO releasing a book like that is being totally coward. Why not telling her face to face what the felt about her ?!

Duchess said:
"Brown, who in 1985 attacked the Prince of Wales' neglect of his young wife as the reason for their crumbling marriage just four years into their supposedly 'fairy-tale' life, has this time turned the tables on Diana, and portrays her as a "spiteful, manipulative" woman..." makes you wonder who is actually the manipulative one here. wonder what changed her mind????

i'll remain open minded until i read it. i just find it interesting that she appeared to be diana's friend and now she's changed her mind. curious?

A lot of information has been written on this topic after 1985. Tina Brown has enough information drawn from different books, newspaper and interviews from others. I have not read her book but from what the book review says. I agree with her judgment. We may check her notes if she has any.

love_cc said:
A lot of information has been written on this topic after 1985. Tina Brown has enough information drawn from different books, newspaper and interviews from others. I have not read her book but from what the book review says. I agree with her judgment. We may check her notes if she has any.

not trying to start an argument here, believe me, but are you saying that the basis of the change in her opinion of diana is from reading different books and newspaper and interviews from others as opposed to when she was "friends" with the princess? :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom