"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Spare ever be considered a "great" book like Gatsby? Will it sell 25 million copies over the next 100 years? I don't think so. Time will tell.

I'm not sure I understand that comparison :lol: I don't think either Harry or Moehringer ever set out to write the new The Great Gatsby.

As a matter of fact, that is exactly what Moehringer writes: With Spare "what [Harry] felt now, for the first time in his life, was heard". They set out to tell his story, not to become an all-time classic ?

I found the book to be well worth reading for one main reason. It was the story of Harry, how he saw his childhood, his youth, and young adult all the way to veteran. How he saw his world. It is not an exact science but the recollections of a child, youth, young adult and now Harry the adult.

As expected, it raised a lot of ire and most of what he was accused of writing prior to the book's release actually did not appear in the book at all. Did anyone admit they got something wrong? Of course they didn't. But I found it staggering that Harry should have personally felt used and abused by the family that he admits he still loves.

How can someone be in such pain in your close little world, and nobody even notice. Rightly or wrongly, Harry is still under the impression that he was even there for spare parts (horrifyingly gross as that sounds, people have had another child for exactly that reason). But it speaks to how he values himself and I believe Charles is probably more hurt by his inability to get through to Harry that he had and still has, value and he is loved.

Charles probably didn't like him very much when the book was published. Let's face it, the gossips and royal reporters were all initially pontificating that Harry would never write a book, was not intelligent enough, didn't have it in him to pull it off. IMHO Charles has passed the initial outrage caused by all the "in the royal know" tripe, read the book and wondered how they had all missed that Harry had a serious problem. Worse, that lack of self-esteem made him ripe for the picking. That is the only way I can understand him reaching out to him for the Coronation and his sadness that he he didn't stay a few days or bring his kids. (I am noting his birthday toast to Archie "wherever you are".

Last edited:
Still...we only have Harry's side of the story... that he felt he didn't get the response he wanted from his family is obvious, but i wonder if there was any response that they could have given that would have satisfied Harry.
And i also think that sometimes when people get isolated from their family, like Harry has chosen to be, you are alone with your own memories and memories are subjective and can change without you knowing it.

Who hasn't experienced that they met up with a childhood friend or long not seen relative, got to talk about an event you both attended and each's memory of it turns out to be different in several keypoints.

Harry sees only his side, is happy that he got to say it without any comments from people who were there, and i think is happy with the book and the interviews he gave afterwards. That he's hurting others with it (not just his family) is something he doesn't consider and/or doesn't care about (otherwise he had enough opportunity to set things straight in the later interviews).

I hope at some point in his life, Harry will open his mind to accept that there may be things that didn't actually happen the way he remembered, or they'll all 'agree to disagree' and move on from there.

He did eventually backtrack on the accusations of racism (unfortunately after Meghan and him already got an award for exposing it), so i wouldn't be surprised that in a couple of years he'll change his story on other things as well.

As always when i post about H&M i hope they are now ready to finally be less negative and in attack mode, and more moving forward to that 'compassion' they so prominently acclaim or Archewell :flowers:

I found the book to be well worth reading for one main reason. It was the story of Harry, how he saw his childhood, his youth, and young adult all the way to veteran. How he saw his world. It is not an exact science but the recollections of a child, youth, young adult and now Harry the adult.

As expected, it raised a lot of ire and most of what he was accused of writing prior to the book's release actually did not appear in the book at all. Did anyone admit they got something wrong? Of course they didn't. But I found it staggering that Harry should have personally felt used and abused by the family that he admits he still loves.

How can someone be in such pain in your close little world, and nobody even notice. Rightly or wrongly, Harry is still under the impression that he was even there for spare parts (horrifyingly gross as that sounds, people have had another child for exactly that reason). But it speaks to how he values himself and I believe Charles is probably more hurt by his inability to get through to Harry that he had and still has, value and he is loved.

Charles probably didn't like him very much when the book was published. Let's face it, the gossips and royal reporters were all initially pontificating that Harry would never write a book, was not intelligent enough, didn't have it in him to pull it off. IMHO Charles has passed the initial outrage caused by all the "in the royal know" tripe, read the book and wondered how they had all missed that Harry had a serious problem. Worse, that lack of self-esteem made him ripe for the picking. That is the only way I can understand him reaching out to him for the Coronation and his sadness that he he didn't stay a few days or bring his kids. (I am noting his birthday toast to Archie "wherever you are".
I don’t believe Charles read the book so I don’t know where you got that idea. There was an audio version of the book and that made the content of the book even more appalling because it was his voice. A person is entitled to think whatever they want to about situations doesn’t mean they are correct in thinking about how they went or putting them out as “The Truth”, e.g him thinking he is a spare for spare parts for William which is nonsense, did Charles ever say that to him? The book isn’t of any real substance.

Last edited:

I don’t believe Charles read the book so I don’t know where you got that idea. There was an audio version of the book and that made the content of the book even more appalling because it was his voice. A person is entitled to think whatever they want to about situations doesn’t mean they are correct in thinking about how they went or putting them out as “The Truth”, e.g him thinking he is a spare for spare parts for William which is nonsense, did Charles ever say that to him? The book isn’t of any real substance.

Not restricting this comment just to Spare or Harry, but the notion of "his truth", "my truth" and "the truth" could well be the defining debate of the time, IMO!

Not restricting this comment just to Spare or Harry, but the notion of "his truth", "my truth" and "the truth" could well be the defining debate of the time, IMO!
It’s an annoying and very childish way of trying to escape from admitting to your own possible faults. I dislike hearing “my truth”. You are either telling the truth or a lie. Simple

I could not agree more!
I don't mind "my truth", to be honest. But I dislike assuming the posture of a moral judge demanding apologies left and forth because "my truth". Other people have "their truths" as well and "my truth" is basically agreeing with "recollections may vary". Then, one has no business being judgmental, lofty and painting themselves as this so much better person.

I wish the writer has answered to the critique in a more substantive way. He just mentioned some headlines and pre-book gossip were incorrect.

And it seems he was somewhat critiquing Harry for not understanding his process at the beginning of the article. Perhaps he was merely illustrating the troubles of a ghostwriter however. But it seems he is doing somewhat same to Harry as Harry did the Royal family, by deciding not to be silent and tell his truth reveal Harry in some of the more personal moments. It seems he does have affection for Harry by the end of the article however.

"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

It’s an annoying and very childish way of trying to escape from admitting to your own possible faults. I dislike hearing “my truth”. You are either telling the truth or a lie. Simple

Agreed. Just stick to: my recollection of events, the version I want to sell to the public, whatever. There is no “my truth.” Something either is or is not true.

“My truth” seems to be a way of evading responsibility for what you say, while giving what you say more gravity and merit than it deserves.

I loath the term. The second I hear it- it is an automatic turn off- and I will evaluate the person and what they say more closely.

Last edited:
"My truth" is a nonsense term. It's "my version of events".

And on that note it is time to close this thread.

Everything that could have been saoid has been said. You can contact me if there any news about this book that may warrent the re-opening of this thread.

You are welcome to discuss the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in their thread in the Sussex forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom