Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 07:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
quote"Just because it says nasty things about people you dislike does not mean that these nasty things are true. Most of you have been doing that which is why the threads have remained open. Please continue to do so."

Marengo , I am sorry but it doesn't mean they are lies either.

I do not know what is true, lies or a blend, I have really enjoyed the forum the last few days, it has been interesting points of view and all done in a pleasant manner, I even changed my view on something. Lets keep it that way.

I've also enjoyed these books - what I've seen of them - and these book threads Hallo girl.

I don't think we're yet at the definitive final understanding of this whole "Megxit" situation.

Indeed, it is still un-folding and may take many years, and some deep hindsight, before we are able to have a really true picture of everything that has happened.

My personal views keep swinging a bit.

I have a better appreciation of the Duchess' good qualities after reading the first couple of chapters of Lady Colin Campbell's book. Qualities that have served Meghan well, and easily explain the loyalty of her friends and her successes.

She and the Duke were certainly very well recieved when here in Australia.

One day I would like to see a good psychological study of the players in this drama, how things happened and why they happened.

Much, much more to come I think. And although I can't see the couple ever returning to the UK, I also don't think they are just going to wither on the vine of their new US life.

I'm actually expecting to be still quite suprised by what unfolds.

And yes, I did see your post about being LCC's agent. (I felt like it at times!)

Old 07-03-2020, 08:19 AM
Majesty

Would it be viable for people who "believe" a source that is suspect to be required to prefix any personal response with those wonderful old prefixes:
IMO: In my opinion, or even,
IMHO: In my humble opinion.

There have been countless quarrels that are becoming acrimonious when people discuss something, whether from articles, books or other posts where people take umbrage because it offends them when all the poster wanted to do was say how they did not believe said article.

IMO and IMHO immediately let's you know a person is stating their own personal opinion whereas demanding verification of said post is usually knee jerk biting or cutting sarcasm which inevitably leads to bickering an a big padlock.

When I joined this Forum one of the most important reasons was it's near perfect rules as demonstrated by tough but clear-cut moderation and the ease with which I could separate fact from opinion. There is no shame in stating an unpopular point of view when it is clear that it is only your point of view and others could agree, disagree or debate the issue with you instead of endless circular discussions which leave you wondering.

This is a very Social Media type of tactic that seems to bring out the worst in our anonymity allowing us to all take cheap shots. Such cheap shots should remain the province of the Fashion threads with Men's Fashion (an oxymoron if ever there was one. Examples would be the late Prince Henrik' stunning sartorial style, Haarkon's passion for ugly shoes (and the less said about the even uglier galoshes the better), King Philippe's newest passion for mismatched pastel everything.

It made this a warmer, more informed, wittier, fun place to visit for a minute or two and end up staying for hours.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Humans are discerning beasts with a lust for information. This is why there are billions upon billions of books that have been written since man learned to put symbols on a surface to convey meaning. Humans also don't necessarily think alike or see things from the same perspective than others. Humans also have different objectives for putting their thoughts down on paper for all to read. Some tell us how to do things, some teach us what has gone before, some spin tales for pure entertainment and take us to a wonderful world of fantasy and adventure and some pen books just to put food on the table or become a household name. Whatever the reason, we humans have huge resources to find out every thing we've ever wanted to know and then some.

A good researcher explores all angles and all information and takes what, to him/her, what is valuable and discards the rest. What is valuable to one is garbage to another. The fact remains that one doesn't recognize value or garbage by discarding it without reading what is presented.

This is the way of things with all books being published on the subject of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex these days. Inquiring minds want to know things. How it all went down,? Who did what? Why did things go the way they did? There is so much out there that has been printed on this couple and along with that, so many different perspectives from different angles. The beauty is being able to read them all and form opinions of our own from the information we've read.

Now, I've stated that LCC's books have not impressed me in the past and that I'll not buy her book. That's my own opinion and conclusion I've come to. Doesn't make it true for everyone. Well... maybe I would buy the book just to read it if it was available dirt cheap (I build my library on dirt cheap). For some, these recent books like "Royals at War" is everything and anything that has been printed in what some see as less than credible sources since Harry met Meghan. Its all there in one place to make a decision on. One person I think I've read every available book on regardless of the author is Diana, Princess of Wales. Kept me busy for a long time and off the streets and out of trouble. So we read books, form opinions on them and express them in an open forum. We think therefore we post.

Finally, I'm going to throw in a little plug here for all you that want a dirt cheap way to build your library on just about anything you want to know. Mine is abebooks.com. Now this place is a warehouse for books that need a home. Used books from thrift shops. Old library books out of circulation If and when "Royals at War" were to be available there for $3.49 USD with free shipping, I'd buy it. That's less than some coffees at Starbucks.

Keep reading and keep sharing what you think.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

When you think about it, other royal children were presented to the world on the ordinary steps of a hospital, in the street basically, but Archie was introduced inside Windsor castle with all the trappings that surrounded that.
The casual family photograph with the Queen ,Philip and Doria, A photographer just happened to be there.

I am going to stop thinking about all this.
The reason the photographer was there was that it was planned to present Archie to a few press people along the Long Walk. That was announced the day before but then on the day itself it was raining - so they all went inside. There is nothing sinister in that development.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The reason the photographer was there was that it was planned to present Archie to a few press people along the Long Walk. That was announced the day before but then on the day itself it was raining - so they all went inside. There is nothing sinister in that development.

I think I was just being over dramatic.

I treat the royal books, like I do a dramatised version. i.e. The Crown or the Tudors

I am interested on the views of others with regards books, it sometimes draws me to look at something in a different way that I had not considered before, or even read a book I had never considered.
At the end of the day unless the subject of the book writes a foreword to say everything in it is what they have provided , it doesn't matter who the author is we can never be sure what is true and what is conjecture, or picked up from social media websites.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Sounds like the most interesting of all the current available books Leopoldine.

Some good insights into their wedding celebrations from the bit I've seen.

And lucky old Meghan to get those diamond earrings from The Queen to mark their joint engagements in Chester. How generous.

Hope you enjoy the book, would love some insights if you choose to share after reading it.

I sped through it and finished it this morning.

First impression, it was rushed. Typos and grammar mistakes. Also, little tiny details are wrong. For instance, when Andrew and Beatrice went to the now famous Pizza Express in Woking, the book indicates it was for her birthday. I had not read that anywhere. Her parties tended to be more elaborate anyway.

The book presents a very detailed personal portrait and assessment of Meghan. It's hard for me to ascertain how truthful it is.

The language the writer employs seems sort of crude and careless at times. I've used language like that now and again here on the board and got myself deleted.

Other than those comments, I don't want to reveal spoiler types of details until anyone here who wants to read it has done so.

If you are wondering if you should get the book, think of it this way: It's a snapshot of Harry & Meghan at a very transitional time for them as well as some background about what made them get to this point. This is the kind of thing that should be put in a time capsule to be opened in the year 2100.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The Pizza Express outing for Andrew and Beatrice was for *a* birthday party. Not her birthday.

Looks like I'll be skipping this book.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
I sped through it and finished it this morning.

First impression, it was rushed. Typos and grammar mistakes. Also, little tiny details are wrong. For instance, when Andrew and Beatrice went to the now famous Pizza Express in Woking, the book indicates it was for her birthday. I had not read that anywhere. Her parties tended to be more elaborate anyway.

The book presents a very detailed personal portrait and assessment of Meghan. It's hard for me to ascertain how truthful it is.

The language the writer employs seems sort of crude and careless at times. I've used language like that now and again here on the board and got myself deleted.

Other than those comments, I don't want to reveal spoiler types of details until anyone here who wants to read it has done so.

If you are wondering if you should get the book, think of it this way: It's a snapshot of Harry & Meghan at a very transitional time for them as well as some background about what made them get to this point. This is the kind of thing that should be put in a time capsule to be opened in the year 2100.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about this book Leopoldine, thank you.

I have been reading many sources myself over the last couple of weeks, and my understanding of "Megxit" has benefitted.

I thought we would have to wait - and look back in hindsight - to have an understanding of why things went the way they did.

But, at least for me, a lot of gaps have been filled, and grey areas have been explained.

There is definitely less mystery as to why the six and seventh in line to the British throne are living in America.

Could anyone have foreseen this a short while ago - it's pretty amazing. No wonder there have been books coming out.

Thank you again for giving your views on the book Leopoldine. Interesting that this author also covered an analysis of character and filled in the background of this whole situation. That is what people are looking for I think. We all "know" what happened, but want to understand why it happened.

Thanks again, appreciated.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:37 AM
Courtier

I have not read this book or any of them so I am not coming from the view of a reader but can we really know the truth, we only know versions that have been released by interested parties on both sides. I would suggest we could maybe look back at different situations and with hindsight see something we missed before, or view in a different way.
Obviously just my point of view.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes thank you for the review Leopoldine, and for not revealing any spoilers.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I have not read this book or any of them so I am not coming from the view of a reader but can we really know the truth, we only know versions that have been released by interested parties on both sides. I would suggest we could maybe look back at different situations and with hindsight see something we missed before, or view in a different way.
Obviously just my point of view.

Yes, no doubt Hallo girl there is probably more insight still to come as things come to light.

I just feel a lot of pennies have dropped for me, and I'm no longer mystified by what went down.

I've read a lot from these recent books now, and some very insightful articles from other sources too.

For example, the repercussions of losing the Queen's personal secretary a few years back and how that has played out for both the Duke of York and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex situations. (I don't know if that is covered in any of these books, but it has certainly been an own-goal for some individuals.)

Very insightful comment - I'm paraphrasing - that I read: While the Royal Family and Courtiers thought everyone was playing Canasta, the Duchess - and before her, the Princess of Wales actually - were playing Poker.

I think they've woken up and realise now.

Nothing is finished yet, who knows where it will all end ... I won't be suprised by anything now though.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:58 AM
Majesty

Every single book that has come out about the British royals in the past month has been anti Meghan (and Harry) and mostly trawled from social media and tabloid stories. And I count the book Royals at War among them. I don't see how anyone can get a clear understanding of the couple and why they left the Royal Family without the reading of some countering of that.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't see how anyone can get a clear understanding of the couple and why they left the Royal Family without the reading of some countering of that.
I guess for that there is always Omid Scoobie.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:09 AM
Majesty

Yes, one correspondent, as distinct from a whole army of journalists who are employed by the tabloids and enjoy writing critically about the couple.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Yes, one correspondent, as distinct from a whole army of journalists who are employed by the tabloids and enjoy writing critically about th couple.
It might be argued that a lot of the "negative" articles have a degree of truth.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:36 AM
Majesty

And it can be argued also that a lot don't.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Every single book that has come out about the British royals in the past month has been anti Meghan (and Harry) and mostly trawled from social media and tabloid stories. And I count the book Royals at War among them. I don't see how anyone can get a clear understanding of the couple and why they left the Royal Family without the reading of some countering of that.
This says something important about how H&M are viewed. The writers of the books feel that a majority of the people are anti-Meghan and that point of view will sell their books.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:24 PM
Serene Highness

The two pro Meghan and Harry books are on their way :)
Old 07-28-2020, 10:39 PM
Courtier

In "Royals at War", they include the story about Meghan insisting to wear an emerald tiara from HM's collection on her wedding day. She was told that she could not because provenance for the piece was uncertain, and it was possibly Russian.

Some tabloid stories point to the Vladimir as the tiara in question, but that can't be right.

I have been thinking about this on and off for months. What tiara could this be?

I have finally come up with a candidate.

I started off with the assumption that it was a Queen Mary acquisition. A Russian provenance makes sense, as fleeing Russian royals and aristos took jewels with them to fund new lives outside Russia.

That led me straight to this, the Yusupov Emerald Bandeau by Chaumet:

(eighth photo down)

https://maries-jewels-royals.blogspo...al-jewels.html

I can't find any documentation that Felix and Irina Yusupov took this piece with them when leaving Russia, but they did take a lot of jewels with them. I also can't identify it in that famous photo of the Bolsheviks sorting through the Yusupov jewelry left behind. It's not hard to suppose Queen Mary purchasing this very sleek and elegant tiara, or Meghan being drawn to its minimalist lines.

Not a bad backstory at all, but might be too interesting for a BRF wedding.

If it was left behind, the Bolsheviks might have sold it to another party who then sold it to Queen Mary. That is not a great provenance, and a story like that could be disruptive for a fairy-tale wedding. Marjorie Merriweather Post, the American heiress, bought all sorts of baubles from the Bolsheviks, but the for the BRF, that kind of thing is a bit too mercenary.

OK, so that is my little theory, The Yusupov Emerald Bandeau is the mystery emerald tiara in HM's vault.

Moderators, if I have posted this in an inappropriate thread, please move it and sorry for the extra work!
Old 07-29-2020, 01:03 AM
Courtier

Having just read "Royals at War", it would be foolish to underestimate Meghan's miscalculation of the Monarchy. If the book is right.

Why a person like her -- environmentally-oriented, pronounced political leanings, all woke about gender/race/vegan paint/ etc. would marry a member of the BRF is odd. Love is one thing, but the BRF is no place for building "issues" platforms. The monarchy is about continuance; the world may be moving fast, but some things remain as British cultural identity.

Closed Thread