Royal History of France and French Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone ever read "The hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette"? What's you opinion on it?

IloveCP said:
Has anyone ever read "The hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette"? What's you opinion on it?

If it's the book by carolly erickson I totally recommend it;) it's so well written and includes some stuff with count axel,its one of those books that you just can't put down and want to read more than once;)

It's a manga but it features King Louis XV at Versailles and Queen Marie and the duc d' Orleans and it's become an anime as well, has anyone heard of "le chevalier d'eon" ?

Now this should be an interesting read; I'll have to see if the library carries it.

Queen of Navarre, Jeanne d'Albret: 1528-1572 by Nancy Lyman Roelker is an excellent biography of the arch nemesis of Catherine de Médicis.

I have seen two videos on forums, of the weddings recently of two pretenders to the throne of France. One married in Portugal and the other in South America, and each have produced heirs now. What intrigued me most was the beautiful hymn sung in the background on each video. Was this the anthem of royalist France? Was it the anthem used before the Revolution? It's very impressive and I would like to identify it.

Has anyone ever read or can they recommend a biography on the life of Madame Élisabeth of France (sister of Louis XVI) ?

I have read several books on Princess Elizabeth, unfortunately all of them were in French.
If you can speak French or find translations, I would recommend the following:

- "Madame Elisabeth: la Princesse Martyre" ("Madame Elisabeth, the Martyr Princess") by Martial Debriffe
- "Une Sœur de Louis XVI, Madame Elisabeth" ("Madame Elisabeth, a Sister of Louis XVI") by Noelle Destremau
- "Madame Elisabeth, la Sœur Martyre de Louis XVI" ("Madame Elisabeth, the Martyr Sister of Louis XVI") by Monique de Huerta
- "Le Sacrifice du Soir, Vie et Mort de Madame Elisabeth, Sœur de Louis XVI" ("The Evening Sacrifice: The Life and Death of Madame Elisabeth, sister of Louis XVI") by Jean de Viguerie

Of those listed, my favourite are the first and especially the fourth ones (a really good read with plenty of pretty accurate and well-researched data), and the least favourite - the third one.

I've also come across this book on the Princess which you can read online: "La Vie de Madame Elisabeth, Sœur de Louis XVI" ("The Life of Madame Elisabeth, Sister of Louis XVI). I haven't read this one (although I now endeavour to) but unfortunately, it's in French as well.

http://archive.org/details/laviedemadameeli02beauuoft

Last edited:
Many thanks Artemisia,alas my French is quite basic but I do believe that Élisabeth of France is deserving of a new biography...hopefully in English!

This is certainly a book I'll be looking out for,its a pity that so much of the medieval quarters of Paris were pulled down having survived the horrors of the revolutions.Countless medieval churches,abbeys and chapels,many of which housed royal and noble tombs.

MARIE-THERESE, CHILD OF TERROR: The Fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter by Susan Nagel

Princess Marie-Therese is an interesting royal person to learn about.

I have this book and it was a worthy read and also very well researched .

Saint Louis, Louis IX of France: The Most Christian King by Frederick Perry

NAPOLEON: The End of Glory by Munro Price
Highlights the two years between Napoleon's retreat from Moscow and his 1814 abdication to the island of Elba

Back
Top Bottom