Royal Belgian Books

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fifiona

Commoner
Hello All-

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books either in French or English on:

Queen Paola
Queen Fabiola
Princess Astrid
Princess Mathilde

Also, I would like to know if Astrid and Mathilde get along? Ihave not seen any photos of them together. The same for Mathilde and Paola and Fabiola. Do they all get along?

Originally posted by fifiona@Jun 24th, 2004 - 11:03 pm
Also, I would like to know if Astrid and Mathilde get along? Ihave not seen any photos of them together. The same for Mathilde and Paola and Fabiola. Do they all get along?
A family feud?

i would love to see a list of books that are written about the Belgian royal family
specilly about queen astrid

"All for Love" - Dan Jacobson

I've just finished this book and I can highly recommend it.

It's the story of the love between princess Louise of Belgium and Géza Mattachich.

Princess Louise was king Leopold II's eldest daughter, married to prince Philipp von Saksen Coburg. It was an arranged marriage and a very unhappy one, starting with a very traumatic wedding night for the 14 year old Louise...

Years later she meets a Croation uhlan in a park in Vienna. They start a relationship that will make them social outcasts, get him in prison and her in an asylum.

Louise was the 'scandal princess' of her time. She dominated the society news with her adventures. Both her and Mattachich wrote memoirs but very subjective ones, altering the truth in their own favor.

This book is a combination of fiction and truth, but credible at all times. It's narrated in a unique way, like the author is talking directly to you. (It could also be easily adapted into a film!) It neither looks down on the protagonists, nor portrays them as heroes. It's also a book full of wit and humor!

"She was a princess, daughter of perhaps the most hated king in Europe. He was just a lowly hussar. Their love affair in turn-of-the-century Vienna was to scandalize a continent.
The story of Princess Louise of Belgium and Geza Mattachich, stepson of a minor Croatian count, began with no more than an exchanged glance in a park. Yet the princess and her soldier, divided by wealth and status, pursued their devotion to one another through scandal, ruin, madness and imprisonment.
Dan Jacobson's brilliant imagining of this forgotten episode of the Hapsburg court brings to life one of the century's great love stories"

Mario Danneels wrote in 1999 the Book "Paola van <<la dolce vita>> tot koningin" (Paola from <<la dolce vita>> to Queen) published by van Halewyck, Belgium. It wasn´t for sale anymore on an internet bookshop, I found a copy in Dutch somewhere in a Belgium bookshop. Getting to know the Belgians a very tiny little bit trough the years I think ther must be copys in French also. I dont think that you can get them at the internet bookshops either. I Think you have to search for them in a Belgium bookshop on a holiday perhaps. (Very recomendabel by the way, a holyday to Belgium).

As far as I know that's the only book on her, but it's not a very good one. It's made up of "it's said that" and "some sources say", not often reliable information. The style in which it is written isn't fantastic either.

It should be available in French and Dutch, but if I were you, I'd wait a little longer until a decent biography is published.

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
As far as I know that's the only book on her, but it's not a very good one. It's made up of "it's said that" and "some sources say", not often reliable information. The style in which it is written isn't fantastic either.

It should be available in French and Dutch, but if I were you, I'd wait a little longer until a decent biography is published.

Are there any sighns that a decent (authorised) biography of Queen Paola is comming up in the near future? I sure would like to read that.

As far as I can sort out of what I read an hear there is little chance on such a book.

Untill then we have to do the best we can with this book (not the very best agreed) and all the parts about Queen Paola in other "Royal Family of Belgium books" etc., and read them with very, very much common sense. And from what I can make out of all those things I like her:) A real woman with good and bad qualities, and gladly no saint. :)

PS: I wasn't the best in foreing languages at school, and it is a long time ago I studied them, so I hope that it comes clear that my message is well ment. I am always glad to see a message from Cathérine Bergeyck. I find it a little odd though to comunicate in English with a person who maybe knows my native language well. But no complains, it good to practice the brain.:)

No-one from the Belgian royal family has ever authorized a biography to be written so I don't think it will happen in the near future either.

I don't think Paola is a very intresting subject for serious writers. She doesn't have the intellectual capacities of queen Elisabeth, the aura of queen Astrid, the strong character of queen Fabiola... her glamorous period in the 60's and 70's was of course quite spectacular and the things surrounding her marriage problems are first class gossip material, but I think she's basicly a devoted wife, mother and grandmother rather than an intresting queen.

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
I don't think Paola is a very intresting subject for serious writers. She doesn't have the intellectual capacities of queen Elisabeth, the aura of queen Astrid, the strong character of queen Fabiola... her glamorous period in the 60's and 70's was of course quite spectacular and the things surrounding her marriage problems are first class gossip material, but I think she's basicly a devoted wife, mother and grandmother rather than an intresting queen.
Why not? Everyone can be more or less interesting subject for writers.

Last edited:
Cathérine Bergeyck said:

I agree. She's probably a nice woman but her meaning for Belgium is very small, compared to her husband's or previous queens.

Hannelore said:
I agree. She's probably a nice woman but her meaning for Belgium is very small, compared to her husband's or previous queens.

Influence of people that function in the background of people with a important function is not always recognised, can later on found to be very significant.
The fact that I got rather intrigued by Queen Paola a few years ago made me more intrested in other Belgium Queens as Queen Elisabeth and Astrid and the history of Belgium in general. Something Queen Fabiola never evoke on me.
As a foreigner I always will be an outstander, peeping in the kitchen of de neigbours of course.
Who knows what the (decent) historians wil find in the future, I will follow it from a distance as long as I can and stay interested.
What the meaning of Queen Paola is, will be for Belgium? Well time will tell.
And to Fifiona let me conclude this with good luck with your search on Queen Paola, for me an intriguing queen, end of story.

Well for one she hardly understands the language spoken by a majority of the Belgians so there certainly won't be a major influence!

There is a wonderfulle photo book about filip and Mathilde and the childern. The phtographer is Oliver Polet and he followded the private live of the prince, princess and their childern. The book is published in 2004.

There is a wonderfulle photo book about filip and Mathilde and the childern. The phtographer is Oliver Polet and he followded the private live of the prince, princess and their childern. The book is published in 2004.

Yes, I know, but I can't find the book.
I really want that book.

Given the reluctance for the Belgian royals (or the people behind them?) to give interviews - can we expect a biography of Paola on the occasion of her 70th birthday?

Given the reluctance for the Belgian royals (or the people behind them?) to give interviews - can we expect a biography of Paola on the occasion of her 70th birthday?

Wasn't there a TV docu where queen Paola and some of her friends travelled to Italy together? IIRC Paola talked a lot about herself in this film.

Paolo's 70th birthday (Thursday 6th September) will be widely reported in the Belgian media this week, especially since Belgium is right now going through a political crisis of identity (as always?) as her husband - Albert II - plays an important rôle in the creation of a new, coalition, government whose main aim must be to stop the country breaking apart into its Flemish and Walloon constituencies. Maybe we'll learn more about her if the media have the courage to examine whether/how much political influence she has, or seeks, at these "interesting times".

Photobook "Paola Queen of the Belgians"

On the ocassion of her 70th birthday there seems to be a new book about Queen Paola. It is a Photobook with foto's from her youth till now. With commends of a journalist.

[credit to the posters of The Benelux Royals Message Board]

Showbizzsite.be: Detailbericht

really? why do you say so? it's an innocent question :flowers:, i just thought paola was very admired and respect queen in belgium. why is paola different from other belgian queen, from a belgian point of view? Thanks in advance :)

In Belgium she has respect! Nowadays she comes less in the media than when she was princess! the King and princess Mathilde are more poulair, she doens't like to be in the spotlights and prefers to work at the background where she does a lot of work especially for "Child focus"

I have seen the book in the bookshop and I find it fantastic, with beautifull pictures!

Title: "Paola Reine Des Belges"
Author: Christian Laporte

Title: "PAOLA. van la dolce vita tot koningin"
Author: Mario Danneels

Title: "Paola Reine Des Belges"
Author: Christian Laporte

http://oas2000.proxis.be/gate/jabba....98&si=98066926

Title: "PAOLA. van la dolce vita tot koningin"

http://www.kapaza.be/Boeken/Biografi...rio_Danne.html

Title: Het trauma van de troon

http://www.hoogstraten.nl/theshop/pr...roducts_id=223

Título: “Albert II”
Autor: Christian Laporte
Editeur: Grenz-Echo Verlag
1 janvier 2003
ISBN-10: 9054331860
ISBN-13: 978-9054331865

PAOLA, KONINGIN DER BELGEN
by Christine Massuy
Publisher: VAN HALEWYCK
Date: 11/09/2007
ISBN : 9056178296
EAN : 9789056178291
Nederlands

Azur.be: oneindig aanbod aan de beste prijzen!

Proxis: Books, Music, DVDs, Games, Software and Supplies

Last edited by a moderator:
"PAOLA, KONINGIN DER BELGEN"

by Christine Massuy
Publisher: VAN HALEWYCK
11/09/2007
ISBN : 9056178296

This book is an album of Queen Paola of Belgium.
Azur.be
Proxis

"Paola Reine Des Belges"
Author: Christine Massuy

"Paola. van la dolce vita tot koningin"

"Het trauma van de troon"

“Albert II”
Autor: Christian Laporte
Editeur: Grenz-Echo Verlag
ISBN: 978-9054331865

This book is about the King Albert of Belgium.

“Elisabeth de Belgique”
by Georges Henri Dumont
Publisher: Fayard
French
ISBN: 978-2213018249

“Astrid, mon amie”
by Anna Sparre
Editeur: Luc Pire
Collection: Voix royales
Français
ISBN: 978-2874155161

I read an excellent book about the Belgian Kings
"LA SPECTACULAIRE HISTOIRE DES BELGES"
Patrick Roegiers
Editions Perrin
in French (d'nt know if it's going to be translated in Dutch)
ISBN: 978-5568024511

For the members who like "gossip" :whistling:
A lot about Prince Laurent

"Un procès princier - la famille royale, le palais et leur conseiller"
Noël Vaessen
SEAN publishing
French and Dutch
ISBN : 9789089070029

Thank you Zinzen!!

“Fabiola, la reine blanche”
by Philippe Séguy (Auteur), Antoine Michelland (Auteur)
Editeur : Centurion
2 juin 1995
Français
ISBN: 978-2227304079
This book is about Queen Fabiola of Belgium.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EH77YPVDL._SS500_.jpg

“Fabiola, la reina blanca”
by Philippe Seguy, Antoine Michelland
Editorial Espasa, Spain
This book is the spanish version of “Fabiola, la reine blanche”

DVD about Queen Paola of Belgium:
“DE STEM VAN DE KONINGIN van België”
http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/bc/b1/6b79_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Books on the Royal Family of Belgium?

Hello,

Are there any books out on the Royal Family of Belgium that might be recommended?

I have been perusing the threads on this family and find them of great interest.

Best,

NAP

I have about five, but all of them are in French. It's a shame because I agree with you, they are a fascinating read! I can read French fairly well but I do wish I could get something good in English.

The only one I know of( inEnglish) is "A Throne In Brussels" by Paul Belien but I warn you that it is written from the perspective of very anti-Belgium, pro-separatist writer. Mr Belien has NO use for the dynasty at all, and everyone comes off very badly, with the possible exception of Baudouin and even he takes some hits for his handling of the Congo crisis, and for his near fanatical(in Mr Belien's view) Catholicism.

Belien is brutal with the other members of the family, namely Leopold II, Leopold III, and Albert and Paola.

Can you give me titles?

If you could present the titles of those books, I would appreciate it. My spoken French would cause me to be murdered, but I can usually get through written French with a healthy assist from a good translation dictionary for the first few hours until I "lever up."

I'll check into the "A Throne in Brussels." I appreciate the heads-up on the axe being ground!

If you could present the titles of those books, I would appreciate it. My spoken French would cause me to be murdered, but I can usually get through written French with a healthy assist from a good translation dictionary for the first few hours until I "lever up."

I'll check into the "A Throne in Brussels." I appreciate the heads-up on the axe being ground!

No problem...I'll get all five of them and post them on Monday for you!
Also, DO check out the thread on pg #3 of this topic entitled "Royal Belgian Books"...it's where I got most of the info on how to find books on the BRF...I particularly recommend "Queen Fabiola-La Reine Blanche" (The White Queen) very moving, it turned me into a lifelong fan of Her Majesty...she and her late husband King Baudouin had the most beautiful love story and inspiring marriage I have ever read about.

Last edited:
New books:

Princesse Lilian
Editions Luc Pire - Histoire
Evrard Raskin
Navigation détaillée — CATALOGUE (toutes maisons d'édition)

Baudouin
Editions Luc Pire - Histoire
Henri Deleersnijder

Paola
Editions Luc Pire - Voix Royales
Christine Masuy

Fabiola
Editions Luc Pire - Royauté
Mélanie Cornez

Philippe, prince héritier
Editions Luc Pire - Actualité
Recherche d'ouvrages — ouvrage dont le code article est "5847"

Albert II - Album photo
Editions Luc Pire - Royauté
Recherche d'ouvrages — ouvrage dont le code article est "5794"

Back
Top Bottom