Royal Belgian Books

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello! Do you know where can I find "Fabiola, epuse et reine"?

Regards and thanks very much!

Hi all,
I have put some books about Belgian royalty up for sale on ebay. I will put up more later. It are books that aren't available in libraries anymore. I thought I would share this with you, since there probably are some fans on the look-out for nice editions related to their royal hobby.

The first book is "Laurent. Prins op overschot". It's a book in Dutch on prince Laurent. A biography from 2003, with over 40 pictures. It describes his difficult youth, his rebellious teens, the affairs he had before meeting Claire, his depression en lots of anecdotes. It gives a good insight in how he became the person he is. Written by the editor of VTM program "Royalty".

--> Search for "Royalty: Laurent" on ebay

The second book is "Philippe, Mathilde et Elisabeth", written in French by royal reporter Anne Quevrin, in 2001. It informs about Philippe and Mathilde's family backgrounds, about their engagement, wedding, early professional years, and Mathilde's first pregnancy. Especially nice if you want to learn more about the d'Udekem d'Acoz family and the upbringing of crownprinces/princesses in Belgium. It contains many photos, some very rare ones of Mathilde's pre-engagement days.

--> Search for "Anne Quevrin" on ebay

Last book on Fabiola

Fabiola, une jeune fille de 80 ans, is the last book on Queen Fabiola. This is the title in French, published by ed. Jourdan. The original is in Dutch: authors are Brigitte Balfoort and Joris De Voogt.

It is a nice book, it has some very nice pictures and paintings of unknown pieces but the most interesting thing are not the pictures but the stories. So if you can not read dutch it might be better to get the French version.

Albert II Of Belgium biography

The sixth king of the Belgians, Albert II (born 1934), succeeded to the throne upon the death of his brother, Baudoin, July 31, 1993. He was formally sworn in August 9, 1993.
Belgium found itself unexpectedly with a new king when King Baudoin died on July 31, 1993. Baudoin had no children, and nine days later his younger brother, Albert, took the oath as king of the Belgians (the constitutional title of the Belgian monarch). Albert, born in Brussels on June 6, 1934, to King Leopold III and Queen Astrid, was only three years younger than Baudoin. He did not step aside in favor of his son, Philippe, as had been anticipated; at 33 years of age Philippe was rumored to be still unready for the responsibilities of the monarch.
The throne of Belgium was no longer itself in peril, as it had been under Leopold III because of his disputed role in the surrender of Belgium to the Germans in World War II. After Leopold's abdication in 1950, Baudoin had brought stability but not harmony to a country gripped by a struggle between Dutch-speaking Flanders and French-speaking Wallonia. At the time of his death Belgium had begun a far-reaching federalization that made the maintenance of Belgian unity as a country questionable. The wave of mourning over Baudoin's passing brought Flemings and Walloons together in support of the monarchy, and there was no support for an anarchist deputy who shouted in favor of a European republic before Albert took his oath. It was thought by some that the rush to full separation into independent states, anticipated for early in the next century, would be halted by the new king's influence and the resurgent commitment to the dynasty.

Read more about Albert II's life here :

Complete and updated biography for Albert II of Belgium

Queen Fabiola books

Hello,

Are the any books in English by or about Queen Fabiola? Are there any photo books or perhaps books in other languages about her?

Belgian Royal Family - Royal Matters - Frederic Deborsu

Royal Matters by Frederic Deborsu is controversial book about the Belgian Royal family.

The palace made an official statement that the book is full of untrue stories and that they are insulted by it.
The book claims that Philippe and Mathilde's marriage was arranged and that all of their children were IVF babies.
If it is true that Mathilde and Philippe were not in love, she should be awarded with an Oscar :whistling:
Albert supposedly gave an interview to the author's brother, Christophe Deborsu, which is not allowed by the constitution.

Some articles:
flandersnews.be: King Albert feels deeply insulted by Deborsu's book
http://translate.google.be/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.demorgen.be%2Fdm%2Fnl%2F984%2Fcultuur-media%2Farticle%2Fdetail%2F1520585%2F2012%2F10%2F20%2FAlbert-II-geeft-onwettig-interview-in-omstreden-boek.dhtml
http://translate.google.be/translat...artikel/detail.aspx?artikelid=DMF20121022_082

Last edited:
Royal Matters by Frederic Deborsu is controversial book about the Belgian Royal family.
flandersnews.be: King Albert feels deeply insulted by Deborsu's book
The palace made an official statement that the book is full of untrue stories and that they are insulted by it.
The book claims that Philippe and Mathilde's marriage was arranged and that all of their children were IVF babies.
If it is true that Mathilde and Philippe were not in love, she should be awarded with an Oscar :whistling:

Both would deserve Academy Awards as they're they both show so much love through their eyes. It is wonderful to see. I don't buy it at all. Besides, I think every royal couple gets the "there marriage was arranged" rumor when they get married. I have no problem with arranged marriages whether or not it there's any truth to the book. Again, there are too many stolen glances for me to believe they're not in love.

Last edited:
I guess this is the right place to mention a new topic which upsets most Belgians today (I am one of them) A new book on the royal family written by journalist from the radio and television is about to be published. It is already mentioned in the press as creating a new controversy, written as journalistic biographies the book criticizes most people of the royal family, and particularly Prince Philippe, Pr Laurent is rather saved on this occasion. The main accusations are about a homosexual period of his life and statement that their wedding was "forced". Just another sad story about them and new attempt a destabilization. As usual the book appears at the end of the year when people buy most books, just some good business for the journalist. It should come out in the coming days, I will definitely not buy it!!

A agree with you Anne , Shame on Frederic Deborsu. It is not also about Prince Philippe but also about Their Majesties The King and the Queen .

I have read some articles about it. It seems utterly rediculous. He claims that prince Filip is a eunuch!!!!! According to Deborsu the prince wanted a sex change in the 90-ties but the king put an end to it. It was impossible to attach the testicles... etc etc. Quite idiotic! The prince was forced to marry Mathilde and the children were conceived through IVF. He gets testosteron injections so he can grow a beard.

Another story is that king ALbert asked Fabiola about advice ifhe or Filip should succeed when Baudouin died. Fabiola said that according to Baudouin Filip was not ready yet as he didn't have a family.

Is this man known as a serious journalist?

The most ridiculous bunch of lies ever.
The man who wrote the book is actually a journalist? I mean, a serious, respected one? :ohmy:

Prince Philippe commented on the book today.

"The day that Mathilde said 'yes' to my question to marry, was the happiest day of my life," said the prince. "Since that day (of the proposal) our marriage has given us four children, we surround them with love, love that they give back to us in abundance."

Prins Filip: "De dag dat Mathilde 'ja' zei, was de beste van mijn leven"

Last edited:
The authour is so audacious because he knows that the Belgian royal family will avoid to extensively comment on the book, demand proof of claims made in the book and sue him for defamation. As I have said previously, there is nothing wrong with arranged marriages. The rest of claims (i.e., IVF babies or injections) is utter rubbish.

Last edited:
What a load of rubbish :eek:

I mean this is like out of a science fiction pulp novel, what's next? saying that Philippe couldn't reproduce in the usual way with Mathilde because of his reptilian blood?

Honestly, WTH?

Prince Philippe commented on the book today.

"The day that Mathilde said 'yes' to my question to marry, was the happiest day of my life," said the prince. "Since that day (of the proposal) our marriage has given us four children, we surround them with love, love that they give back to us in abundance."

Prins Filip: "De dag dat Mathilde 'ja' zei, was de beste van mijn leven"

I think it's sad that P.Phillipe had to reply to this huge amount of rubbish that has been thrown on the Belgian Royal Family.
Many families have or had problems, but many many family solve them privately, without showing to people. In Italy we say that "dirty clothes have to be washed inside the house". And they probably do as the majority of people...but journalists need scandals...
they're envy of their happiness and the beautiful family Philippe and Mathilde built up. You can actually see the affection and the chemistry between the two, it's not a camouflage.
I sincerely hope this won't affect the love and respect Belgian people should have for their royal family...

The book is controversial and everything that is said about a Royal family that is controversial and not by the rules will always upset everyone and will always be denied....just because it a non correct behaviour...it could be true but willl always be denied...

I'd like to know what people in Belgium think of the book, not just monarchists but regular people who don't care either way or even independentists.

Do they really believe what is written here?

It happens to a lot of men who are unmarried after age 35, people start to suggest they must be gay. Even if they date up a storm with a revolving door of women people say they are in the closet and the women are beards. It is a no win situation and always best to just ignore and go on living your life.

Count Thomas Marchant d'Ansembourg is taking legal action against the author. The count is married to Valerie de Guerre, a sister of Countess Diane de Nassau (wife of Jean of Luxembourg).

:previous:

I haven't read the book (and don't intend to), but what does the Count have to do with it?
Is he suing on behalf of the family, or because there were malicious rumours about him personally?

I think those against him personally. And I can only agree.

The more they are speaking about how better the book is sold. it needs already a re-impression after one week !

Artemisia said:
:previous:

I haven't read the book (and don't intend to), but what does the Count have to do with it?

I was wondering the same thing. Apparently, the book makes the claim that the Count and the Prince were lovers.

Back
Top Bottom