Royal and Other Magazines (PdeV, Majesty, Hello! etc)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool!

Probably Swedish, in fact I am sure of it. Distributions... hmm may be limited for those in the US. I'll keep an eye out for more details regarding this new magazine.

Cool!

Thank you.

I would love to read developments as they occurr or, are found, GT's.

-- Abbie :flowers:

Royalty Magazines

I was wondering if someone could point me to a good magazine to subscribe to. In particular I like the Greek Royals and Grimaldis, but a general with them all would be better!

Well, Point de Vue found a variation on Nicholas, Cecilia, Carla and Andree Sarkozy for their cover.... this week they placed Sarkozy's sons on the cover. I have to give the editors credit that they keep publishing complaints from readers that beg for a Sarkozy stop and more royalty in the magazine. But the reply remains a very civil ' up yours' . And since the new course resulted in more sold issues I doubt it if they will ever stop the new focus. It will probably transform more and more to the French Hello!/OK! version and will have less and less royalty. I hope that the Belgian magazine ' Royals' will step up and fill in the gap that is left by PdV.

Point de Vue is the pits now. They have become almost arrogant in their insistence on focusing on the Sarko clan. I simply cannot believe that so many readers are that interested in this lot. I will not be renewing my subscription to PDV and I wish I could cancel it now. The editors seem to think that they have FINALLY been able to fill the glamour vacuum that was created by the death of the Princess of Wales, but Carla Bruni is no Diana. I am willing to bet that by this time next year nobody will care about her at all.

On the other hand, "Royals" is a delight. It has very readable stories and beautiful photos. An added plus is that even though there are stories on all the royals, the focus is the Belgian Royals which is great because they are my favorites!

I liked the old format too, I miss the cooking section too, I got some nice recipes from that.
I am heartily sick of Cecilia and if you read the letters from readers a lot of people have complained. She is no longer the wife of the President and of no interest to anyone but her family and new husband I should imagine.
I rather like the society pages with parties and other affairs, mainly to see what the well dressed Frenchwoman is wearing. They seem to have dropped the London society page too I found that interesting and I would like to see it come back.

Point de Vue is the pits now. They have become almost arrogant in their insistence on focusing on the Sarko clan. I simply cannot believe that so many readers are that interested in this lot. I will not be renewing my subscription to PDV and I wish I could cancel it now. The editors seem to think that they have FINALLY been able to fill the glamour vacuum that was created by the death of the Princess of Wales, but Carla Bruni is no Diana. I am willing to bet that by this time next year nobody will care about her at all.

I won't be renewing it either ;). I don't understand how this idea of a "new" Diana crossed their mind. Carla has nothing to do with her. I assume it's the only way to sell under Princess Di's name without repeating everything we already know about her.

On the other hand, "Royals" is a delight. It has very readable stories and beautiful photos. An added plus is that even though there are stories on all the royals, the focus is the Belgian Royals which is great because they are my favorites!

Yes, "Royals" is way much better than PDV. However, not every Royal reader can afford it, compared to PDV which is sold for only €2.20. Moreover, it's released every week, on the contrary of Royals, published on a monthly basis.

Wow! I totally agree on the PDV covers --- enough of Carla. I am so sick of seeing her in her purple outfit and all of the photos of the two of them cuddling --- get a room already!
There is a lot happening in the royal world, but you would never know it looking at Point de Vue!

Wow! I totally agree on the PDV covers --- enough of Carla. I am so sick of seeing her in her purple outfit and all of the photos of the two of them cuddling --- get a room already!
There is a lot happening in the royal world, but you would never know it looking at Point de Vue!

I figured the birth of Mathilde and Philippe's baby girl would warrant a cover on PDV. WRONG! They had Carla on again, with a dinky little article on the new Belgian princess! The old, classy PDV would have put Mathilde and Philippe and their gorgeous family on the cover!

I figured the birth of Mathilde and Philippe's baby girl would warrant a cover on PDV. WRONG! They had Carla on again, with a dinky little article on the new Belgian princess! The old, classy PDV would have put Mathilde and Philippe and their gorgeous family on the cover!
The last 4 posts made me smile since I have been so frustrated with them, I let my subscription lapse. However, I found myself circling the kiosks in Europe and the airports looking for the new issues since I miss them. .......Well guess what .....I have called and renewed the subscription again and seeing from the web site I did not miss much in the last month but.........I am still checking the mail each day waiting for the first issue to arrive.........LOL

Oh my - the latest issue of PDV has the daughter of Cecelia Szarko getting married --- who cares?!!!
There is so much royal news out there and PDV just keeps ignoring it!

The duller and more unimportant to us seems to sell the most. Now, people don't buy PDV to have news about Royals but to have sensational press which is overwhelming all the magazine business. They know how it works, "give them some scoops and stupid articles ; they will buy it anyway". But this week is way too much for me to bear. Honestly, 5 pages on the marriage of the daughter of a woman who's only known for being the ex-French president's wife isn't a matter I have patience for. I was also surprised to find a Madonna article next to one of Frederick and Mary of Danemark (which was, BTW, the only good read of the magazine). I believe they didn't have much inspiration this week (or shall I say this year :rolleyes:).

Oh my - the latest issue of PDV has the daughter of Cecelia Szarko getting married --- who cares?!!!
There is so much royal news out there and PDV just keeps ignoring it!

You cannot be serious...is she on the cover?? Am I to believe that there is NO Royal news that can be covered by PdV?? And are people actually reading this crap enough to justify what PdV is doing?

I am starting to hope that PdV goes out of business. I am just that angry with them!

The duller and more unimportant to us seems to sell the most. Now, people don't buy PDV to have news about Royals but to have sensational press which is overwhelming all the magazine business. They know how it works, "give them some scoops and stupid articles ; they will buy it anyway". But this week is way too much for me to bear. Honestly, 5 pages on the marriage of the daughter of a woman who's only known for being the ex-French president's wife isn't a matter I have patience for. I was also surprised to find a Madonna article next to one of Frederick and Mary of Danemark (which was, BTW, the only good read of the magazine). I believe they didn't have much inspiration this week (or shall I say this year :rolleyes:).

It's happening to all the quality magazines...they are obsessed with celebs and Hollywood. There are no words for how dull and uninteresting I find most of these people. And if PdV starts featuring Madonna of all godforsaken people I will start lining my cat's litter box with it. I will NOT read another issue!

It's really sad. I'm glad I don't have a subscription anymore. These days, I just check the table of contents online and buy the e-version if I want to read it.

But, just for fun, let's play editor. What would you put in next week's edition if you could control PdV?

My choice (week of May 19 2008) would be:

Main features:
-- Peter Phillips' wedding (lots of pictures please)
-- William not being at Peter's wedding
-- Wedding anniversaries (Spain, Denmark, Norway)
Short features:
-- Carl-Philip's birthday
-- Philip of Greece's graduation from Georgetown
-- Beatrice of York's job
Other news:
-- Zara Phillips making the Olympic team
etc.

Anyone else?

To be fair I don´t think they can publish the photos of the wedding as the bride (they say it was the bride) sold the rights to the photos to Hello magazine and has caused quite a few ruffled feathers.
I saw some photos and the bride and the bridesmaids looked very beautiful, I love the green eau de nil bridesmaids´dresses but an amusing touch was their beautifully tanned skin with very clear marks of bathing suits on their shoulders as they wore strapless dresses.
Camilla with a hat very like the one she wore at her own wedding and looking very nice I must add and the most ridiculous butterfly hat on Princess Beatrice.

Queen magazine

Dear Norwegianne,

Have you read Queen yet? If you have what is your opinion of it? Is it like BB- Royals magazine but, has a focus on the SRF rather than the DRF?

Does it mention whether it is available to purchase outside of Sweden?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Thank you,
Emeralds and Opals

Looks interesting. I will have to get my Swedish co-workers to buy it for me, and bring it with them over, or maybe take a trip across the bridge myself to get a copy :whistling:

I hope that it can do what it promises. I've been wishing for a magazine that doesn't infer only positive, or only negative things about the royals based on a few facts. It would be good to have some more depth.

This is probably a silly question but Point de Vue is in French, isn't it? How easy would it be to understand for someone who speaks hardly any French?

Regards,
Lisa

I used to subscribe to Majesty, but quit awhile ago, because it was getting too expensive for me, as a Brazilian. Point de Vue, I´ve read since childhood (I´ve always loved royalty). It used to be exclusively about royal families, but lately, it´s got too much other things for my taste.I still buy it once in awhile, when there is an interesting article.
The best for me is Hola.

This is probably a silly question but Point de Vue is in French, isn't it? How easy would it be to understand for someone who speaks hardly any French?

Regards,
Lisa

Att.Grace I learnt French at school and thought I knew nothing. I started buying Point de Vue and I was amazed to find how much I had absorbed without noticing. I read it every week and have for years and years and it has helped my French vocabulary no end. I suggest you buy a few copies and persevere and I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.
I know that my French teacher would be absolutely flabbergasted (especially if she saw me doing the crossword) :lol:

Regards,
Lisa

Mmm, understanding written French is different than spoken French. And, "Point de Vue" is a magazine that is picture-oriented and also doesn't get too heavily weighed down with text. You can learn French and Spanish just by buying the magasines in those languages and then reading them, dictionary in hand. I used to buy "Jours de France" when it was sold here in the US, so picture packed was that one. I'll buy Hola! and the French magazine Royalty (or, maybe it's called "Royals"?) too. Photos help with the comprehension, no question. ;)

-- Abbie

Dear Norwegianne,

Have you read Queen yet? If you have what is your opinion of it? Is it like BB- Royals magazine but, has a focus on the SWF rather than the DRF?

Does it mention whether it is available to purchase outside of Sweden?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Thank you,
Emeralds and Opals
Yes, I read it on the plane last week (saved it for a special occasion :wub:). My opinion is that it is more of a royal magazine than Billedbladet is; BB is a weekly magazine, which mainly focuses on the royals (Danish and others), but also have bits and pieces of Danish celebrities, as well as a bit of the hollywood celebs. It is a bit thinner and not printed in HQ magazine paper if that makes sense. Queen is fairly thick, and think glossy magazine such as Cosmopolitan, and definitely covering only royals (at least the edition I was reading). Their main focus is indeed the Swedish royals, but they also scoped out and it was a rather satisfying read. There were some errors here and there, but as I've just sent off an e-mail to BB earlier today about some minor stuff they'd got wrong about Norwegian royals, and Hello is well-known for their mistakes… I'm not going to quibble about the extremely minor mistakes.

Where some women's magazine will have things on "you need this for your home" and so on, the features that didn't deal with the royals all had a royal angle to it, from the chocolates formed as crowns to the holiday stay in a castle. :ROFLMAO:

I think the one thing that is a shame is that it is in Swedish; I have no problem understanding the language, but to my mind it sort of reads a bit like how PdV was before the Sarkozy brigade took over, with the information and also coverage of more minor royals outside the area - but with more text than Royals, and it would be lovely had it been available in English. (Too little information, outside the messageboards/blogs where things get translated, is available on the Scandinavian monarchies in English, be it books or magazines... :rolleyes:)

I've obtained a copy of it outside Sweden; in Norway, but as it is in Swedish, I doubt it will be available for sale much outside the Scandinavian countries. According to the webpage, it is possible to subscribe outside Sweden, but the postage then becomes added to the cost. Queen, ny tidning, kungligheter, kungafamiljen, Victoria, Madeleine, Carl Philip, Silvia, Carl Gustaf - Queen

I'll probably not buy it on a regular basis, at the moment, but if it is still around when I get myself settled and out of student life, it is a definite contender to learning new things about the royals and getting the deeper information. (Only… when they covered Marie and Joachim's wedding, it would have been nice if the fashion critics they'd brought in would say something other than "I like this" all the time)...

A bit messy review, perhaps, as it is getting to the stream of consciousness time for me. I hope it helped. :flowers:

Review of Queen magazine

Hiya Norwegianne,

Thank you so much for that insightfull review. Sounds like a fascinating read. Great idea to read on the plane to pass the time. Hope you had a great flight.

Cheers,
Emeralds and Opals

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya Norwegianne,

Thank you so much for that insightfull review. Sounds like a fascinating read. Great idea to read on the plane to pass the time. Hope you had a great flight.

Cheers,
Emeralds and Opals

Thanks, Norwegianne for this review too!

Queen sounds really good. I only wish American 'zines covered Royals like others do, but then again we don't have a Royal Family here, so there ya go ... It's cool that you understand Swedish, too.

Do many Norwegians speak or understand Swedish? How about Finnish, of languages from other neighbouring countries?

Sorry for all the ?'s --

-- Abbie :)

I do not buy any of the royal maganizes but if I do want to know some information on royals I go to hellomaganize.com to get it and plus I like to take the quizzes on the royals at the website sorry to say I don't know if you can take the quizzes in the book.

Someone asked about Queen in the Swedish forum. I've written about it on Sofia's Royal Sweden a few times, and have recently posted a translation of an interview with Countesses Bettina and Diana Bernadotte af Wisborg from the latest issue of the magazine there as well. And more translations of other articles will come.

I think you need to understand at least basic Swedish for it to pay off buying it or subscribing. Everything is in Swedish and since not everything is on royals per see, but on lifestyle things with royal angles, it's perhaps beside the point if you live outside Scandinavia and don't have an attachment to our country.

If anyone has any specific questions on Queen, I'd be more than willing to try to answer/help.

I just checked Queen's Website and it really seems to be a nice magazine. I get most of the Swedish as well, and so I am seriously considering subscribing (or let's say make that as a Christmas wish). We have an online bookstore in Germany that sells it, but it's 9,90 Euro (about 99 SEK, I guess) per issue. How expensive is it in Sweden?

I just checked Queen's Website and it really seems to be a nice magazine. I get most of the Swedish as well, and so I am seriously considering subscribing (or let's say make that as a Christmas wish). We have an online bookstore in Germany that sells it, but it's 9,90 Euro (about 99 SEK, I guess) per issue. How expensive is it in Sweden?
49,50 SEK per issue, that's around €5 - so that online bookstore is indeed overpricing it.

Well, maybe that's because of the shipping and so on. But still...

Yes, I read Queen on the plane last week
I'll probably not buy it on a regular basis, at the moment, but...it is a definite contender to learning new things about the royals and getting the deeper information.
I have a question. Does the magazine publish an English edition?
Looks good, though: Colourful, pic-packed and lush. Just that I don't speak Swedish ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question. Does the magazine publish an English edition?

Looks good, though: Colourful, pic-packed and lush. Just that I don't speak Swedish ...
No, there's just a Swedish edition as it's a Swedish magazine.

Back
Top Bottom