Royal and Other Magazines (PdeV, Majesty, Hello! etc)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well sadly for us I suspect that Sarkozy & co on the cover sells more copies in loose sales than a royal on the cover. So I suppose the new customers make up for the lost ones. I can imagine that subscribers are going to complain more & more they will balance it a bit more.

For now the only other option (in french) is the Belgian magazine ´Royals´ that appears in French, Dutch and German. Lots of pictures in this magazine but much less in-depth articles than PdV.

Royals Magazine from Belgium is awesome! It's a motherlode of info on the Royals, and NO CELEBRITIES AT ALL. There is a natural emphasis on the BeNeLux Royals-particularly Belgium- because the magazine is printed in Belgium, but that's fine because I adore the BRF.

Unfortunately it only comes out in French or Dutch so people who cannot read either language will not be able to enjoy it.

I subscribe to it in French, and I hardly miss Point de Vue anymore at all.

Last edited:
[Groan....] Just had a look at the january 15 PDV cover -- Cecilia Sarkozy this week.

[Groan....] Just had a look at the january 15 PDV cover -- Cecilia Sarkozy this week.

I wish I could write in French, I'd send a very irate letter! Why don't they just rename it "Sarkozy Weekly?!" I am certain that many others are starting to find this VERY annoying and if I were a subscriber I'd cancel.

But I suppose it could be worse...what if the French were as obsessed with Britney Spears and Lindsey Lohan as the Americans-UGGHH!!

As tiresome as this Sarkozy thing is becoming I'd rather read about them vs the horrible American alternative ANY day!!

As a non frenchman I am getting a bit tired by the present course of Point de Vue, is it really necessairy to put Nicolas Sarkozy, Cecilia and/or the kids on the cover each and every week? This week they were rather original, they had Andree Sarkozy on the cover, mother of the president... a bit weird for a magazine that traditionally focusses on royalty. And when I opened the magazine I got a page with Selma Hayek, Maxima and Ingrid Betancourt all next to each other. Gushing about Maxima´s clothes next to a picture of a broken Ingrid Betancourt.... sigh.

I agree with you Marengo. I'm very disappointed by Point de vue.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny that people are getting sick of the Sarkozys in Point de Vue. The December issue of American Vogue featured a lengthy article on their marriage. Last month, the American television news show "60 Minutes" featured an interview with Sarkozy, and I have seen coverage of them in several American newspapers. Point de Vue isn't the only media outlet that is giving coverage to these people. It seems they are everywhere (for better or worse).

Well, this weeks PdV, with Cecilia on the cover had a special letter from the editor on the first page. Apparently she gets a LOT of messages saying ´enough is enough´, ´no more Sarkozy!´ and more like that. The editor babbles on about how we want to know all about the royals, that the magazine was founded in 1945 etc. And than she says that since 1945 society has changed so the magazine has to change too, so basically she is saying that PdV will continue on this course. Dispite all the compints.

Consequently the PdV of this week hs only 3 articles about a royal. Sigh....

Well, this weeks PdV, with Cecilia on the cover had a special letter from the editor on the first page. Apparently she gets a LOT of messages saying ´enough is enough´, ´no more Sarkozy!´ and more like that. The editor babbles on about how we want to know all about the royals, that the magazine was founded in 1945 etc. And than she says that since 1945 society has changed so the magazine has to change too, so basically she is saying that PdV will continue on this course. Dispite all the compints.

Oh gosh.....:bang::bang::bang::bang: Say it isn't so!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: PdV, once the creme de la creme of royalty magazines, is no more.

I wonder if any French readers can enlighten us -- is Sarkozy the main story in all the French magazines these days, or this a special preoccupation Point de Vue has?

Here in the U.S., I've seen more stories about him than we usually do about foreign leaders, but he's not getting daily or weekly coverage anywhere -- it's about on a par with what Tony Blair got.

From what I've read in Point de Vue, they seem to be trying to cover this like the Kennedys (ugh), with constant stories about every little thing. (Nothing irritates me more than when the media refers to the Kennedys as "royalty." Not even close.)

I hope PDV comes to its senses.

Well, I am not french but judging from the french boulevard magazines I see in the stands of the trainstation and such Sarkozy is certainly making the headlines of all magazines, esp. now he is dating Carla Bruni. Still, PdV has more covers etc. about him, Cecilia, Carla, his mother, children etc etc etc. than the other magazines.

I suppose it says something when I'm glad I didn't choose to renew my subscription when it expired :ROFLMAO:

I found that, when I got the magazine, I didn't mind so much the first couple of weeks after the election when the Sarcozy's graced the cover… but after a while it just became redundant.

I've just returned from France after a nine day stay. As I usually do, (which drives my family nuts),the first thing I did was visit the wonderful newstands at the airport to catch up on the royal gossip in all the international magazines you find there. Well, everything was either about Sarkozy (and Carla) or Obama, TV starlets I have never heard of, one lonely cover in Hola on Princess Latizia. Nothing on the Grimaldis. Same story on my trip back, when the magazines' covers should have changed, but it was really more of the same. Is the interest in royalty disappearing in Europe ? What is going on ?

Paris-Match used to be an excellent source of information and cleverly written articles on royalty, especially on Caroline of Monaco. There seems to have been a rift between the magazine and the Grimaldis ever since Paris-Match revealed the story of Prince Albert's illegitimate children a month or so after his father's death, and was sued. And as "punishment"(?), Paris-Match didn't do any special coverage of Princess Caroline's fiftieth birthday last year. I think they also got tired of being sued by her lawyers. They have to publish the suit in the magazine, which I guess is a bit embarrassing as they don't view themselves as a tabloid say like "Voici", which seems to enjoy being sued every week and having to publish the suit on their cover, but also, and rightly so in my opinion, they once observed that they have always written highly positive articles about Princess Caroline and cannot understand her vindictive attitude. They pointed out that they have always had a genuine interest, attraction and attachment for the princess which started in her early teens, and it truly was reflected in the tone of the articles, the care and wit with which they were written. But since a few years ago, tired of being sued, the tone started changing until I guess they decided to call it quits on any coverage of her (at least in any depth).

To go back to Sarkozy, I think he is great chums with some of these magazine publishers, which may explain all the publicity.

I'll try to scan a magazine cover of "Jours de France" for Kalnel, but there are also quite a few in the thread on "Princess Caroline Cover Girl".

Yes :)

YES, quite reputable it is!

I have subscribed to it FOREVER.

The editor-in-Chief, Ingrid Seward, takes great care not to be salacious, although once in awhile one can throw in a tidbit or two ... and, she does!

I love that Charles married Camilla, finally. NOT to have done, would have been a complete sham, IMHO.

I buy it when it has coverage of The Monegasque Royals, especially Princess Stephanie de Monaco, and Caroline's "children".
I pick my way thru' it, French-English dictionary firmly in hand, LOL ;)

... for the photos, especially.

I like Vanidades, although it doesn't devote itself to Royalty as much as do other 'zines.

-- Abbie

The European Royal History Journal is far better than both combined.

For serious royal enthusiasts, Majesty is far better than Royalty. You can find Majesty through the website or get it via Amazon if your local bookshop doesn't carry it.

Majesty Magazine - The Quality Royal Magazine

Amazon.com: Majesty: Magazines

Yes, I quite agree.

Royalty magazine is a bit Tabloid-esque nowadays.

Majesty is the publication I would recommend, and it has become a bit more liberal in its coverage lately, too.
Meaning, it's not as unconditionally reverential towards Royalty as it used to be, back-in-the-days.

-- Abbie

Worldroots.com is just great ...

Worldroots.com is just AB-FAB, but there's only one prob-lem-o, and that is when I last checked Brigitte's Site, her page had not been updated in quite some time, meaning in a few years!

I will confess to not checking her Site all that often, so things might well have changed and become more current, in the meantime.

Royal Press and Portraits Sites, I have never heard of.
So, THANK YOU for The Heads-Up about that Site.

Point de Vue is a GREAT magazine and even if you don't read French all that well, the photos are a plus!

-- Abbie :flowers:

YES, quite reputable it is!

I have subscribed to it FOREVER.

The editor-in-Chief, Ingrid Seqard, takes great care not to be salacious, although once in awhile one can throw in a tidbit or two ... and, she does!

I love that Charles married Camilla, finally. NOT to have done, would have been a complete sham, IMHO.

I buy it when it has coverage of The Monegasque Royals, especially Princess Stephanie de Monaco, and Caroline's "children".
I pick my way thru' it, French-English dictionary firmly in hand, LOL ;)

... for the photos, especially.

I like Vanidades, although it doesn't devote itself to Royalty as much as do other 'zines.

-- Abbie
I goofed!

I typo'd INGRID SEWARD's name in my original post about having subscribed to MAJESTY magazine FOREVER.

I wrote, "Seqard".

I MEANT to write "Seward", with a "w" and NOT a "q".

SILLY me!

Sorry, if anyone's reading who knows Ms. Seward!

-- Abbie

Last edited:
Well, it's a non-Sarkozy week over at Point de Vue! Alas, I have NO IDEA who the heck the guy on the cover is. (Yvon-Chrysotome Dolto? I guess I'll have to Google to find out who he is.)

Otherwise, they appear to have several royal articles this week.

Merci, beaucoup!

Hi there, Jo :)

I forgot about Hello. If you can read spanish or get it translated Hola is good too.

Well, even if you cannot read Spanish all that well, I have found that HOLA's also a fun look-see, because ... the pictures tell a story, always! Also, for those people learning Spanish or teaching themselves the language, HOLA's great because there are never huge chunks of text to try and comprehend.

Again, the photos are so illustrative in HOLA!.

I love HELLO!, also and buy it when the magazine covers William and Kate.

As I have posted here, under this Thread, I have subscribed to MAJESTY forever!
I always notice how lovely QE II is looking these days.
She seems to have gotten younger and younger looking o'er the years.

Boy, I wish I read Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, German though.

I read French fairly well, and can make out gists of Articles in Spanish.

I guess that's good enough for the time being, eh?

-- Abbie :flowers:

Actually, I made a mistake. The Paris-Match of 10 to 16 of January has Charlene on the cover : "Charlene, already a princess in Monaco". It is a very favorable article, but obviously they are not writing from direct, inner sources. They phrase some comments as if they were facts but when you read between the lines, it appears to be more like speculation.

I like Hello magazine for royal coverage and celeb news. It avoids the nastiness and speculation that the usual gossip rags (and far too many newspapers here in the UK) seem to favour.

Well, it's a non-Sarkozy week over at Point de Vue! Alas, I have NO IDEA who the heck the guy on the cover is. (Yvon-Chrysotome Dolto? I guess I'll have to Google to find out who he is.)

Otherwise, they appear to have several royal articles this week.

Merci, beaucoup!

That's Carlos. He was a very famous french singer and he died last week so I believe that's what make them took the decision.

Another news : French Magazine "Gala" made its cover on Cécilia Sarkozy comparing her to .... (hang on to your seat) ... Princess Diana :eek:! They don't follow their logic since at first she was Jackie O and now she's Lady Di. What next ? Mother Theresa ??

Last edited:
People are fed up with all the magazine featuring Carla Bruni. They have no choice and I wonder if it sells so many papers especially as they all repeat the same

Can someone PLEASE help me?!

I am looking for a link on the internet to Point de Vue that will lead me to back issues...I think it's called "accueil?" I mean issues going back to at least the very early 90's and perhaps earlier. I have tried several times and come up empty. Any and all help appreciated-thanks

Help!!

I am looking for a link on the internet to Point de Vue that will lead me to back issues...I think it's called "accueil?" I mean issues going back to at least the very early 90's and perhaps earlier. I have tried several times and come up empty. Any and all help appreciated-thanks

I will try both. I really appreciate your help!

There is a new Swedish magazine dedicated to royalty coming out soon entitled Queen. According to Roger, one of the owners/writers:

I am, together with Bonnier publications, starting a magazine in Sweden called QUEEN – in stores on May 15th. It is a serious magazine about the European royal families with current events, history and exclusive interviews – no gossip! QUEEN will also contain a lot of lifestyle pages – fashion, travels, food and wine – everything with a royal twist – 160 pages.

Read more about it [URL="http://members3.boardhost.com/scandinavia/msg/1206905368.html"]here[/URL]

Thanks, GT's!!!

There is a new Swedish magazine dedicated to royalty coming out soon entitled Queen. According to Roger, one of the owners/writers:

Read more about it here

Thanks!

Now, is this magazine in English, Swedish, or ... both please?

Will it be available to distributours here in our country, to order for their shops, newsstands, etc. to retail?

Thanks for any replies,

-- Abbie

Thanks!

Now, is this magazine in English, Swedish, or ... both please?

Will it be available to distributours here in our country, to order for their shops, newsstands, etc. to retail?

Thanks for any replies,

-- Abbie

Probably Swedish, in fact I am sure of it. Distributions... hmm may be limited for those in the US. I'll keep an eye out for more details regarding this new magazine.

Read more about it [URL="http://members3.boardhost.com/scandinavia/msg/1206905368.html"]here[/URL]

Looks interesting. I will have to get my Swedish co-workers to buy it for me, and bring it with them over, or maybe take a trip across the bridge myself to get a copy :whistling:

I hope that it can do what it promises. I've been wishing for a magazine that doesn't infer only positive, or only negative things about the royals based on a few facts. It would be good to have some more depth.

Back
Top Bottom