Romanovs and Russian History

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The File on the Tsar - one of the most comprehensive books on what happened july 16 1918. Summers and Mangold spent years researching this and finding things all over the place. What is great about this work is that they provide all the evidence. No Bias. And allow You the reader to make up your own mind.
Peter Kurth researched and wrote Anastasia. He actually met her, and interviewed many royals himself. This work makes Massie look like an amateur. When reading any historical bio you must remember that history is someone elses bias. In Anastasia's case authors are either for or against her claim.
The best site for the Imperial family is Alexander Palace Time machine also check out Alexander Palace forum discussions. Now the members here seem to be librarians with access to diaries and journals of the family members. Lots of very rare photos are posted here.
Alexander Palace is very comprehensive. They even have the secret police reports on Rasputin. The autopsy results from the victims of Alypayevsk.
Lost Splendour a book written by Prince Felix Yussopov is an excellent read. And incredibly funny in many places. He was such a naughty boy. This is online at Alexander Palace.
I've been reading about the Imperial family since 1982. And one thing I have learnt is that NOTHING is black and white when it comes to what happened to this family. So many grey areas to consider.

Have you guys heard of this funny book? it's entitled:
" Bin ich die Urenkelin des letzten zaren Nikolaus II. Romanov by Annatala Natalia Geiger-Jordtveit

Its basically a memoir of the supposed great-granddaughter of czar nicholas II, through grand duchess olga nikolaievna, wh supposedly was this lady's mother?grandmother? and we all know that this lady is definitely and Impostor because as research shows Olga was among the bones found with her family in ekaterninburg. I wish I could understand and read german in order to read this absurd book. has anyone read it and if so what ws your take on it?

I read one, but I can't remember the name of it. It was absolutely horrid. It was written by this girl who said she started out life as a boy, but that her parents really knew she was she instead of a he. It's written in English, French,German and Spanish. Her story was basically that her father was a child of Anastasia, and how her 'grandmother' loved going to Burger King and McDonald's. Also,a member of the KGB was after Anastasia and even came to America looking for her. I think the author's name is Diane or something like that. I didn't even read that much. I tossed it the trash. It was a waste of $40 something dollars, but it was so awful a library didn't even deserve to have it.

Exploitation.

Yes, i`ve read a good number of books on the Romanovs and they easily fall into the three categories of good, bad, and indifferent. I recall being really excited when i read FILE ON THE TSAR for the first time, conversely, i found Kurith`s book ANASTASIA fairly laughable. These books, and their successors, continue to thrive because we still do not know DEFINATIVELY what happened to the family, during their imprisonment and this lack of facts, together with our own natural sense of mystery, creates an ideal opportunity for authors to exploit the Romanov`s fate.

Alexey 1904 said:
I read one, but I can't remember the name of it. It was absolutely horrid. It was written by this girl who said she started out life as a boy...
This book's plot is just absurd and in believable

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just how some people perceive other people's knowledge. They figure to make a story up about a historical figure and the uncertainty surrounding their life and death and know some unsuspecting individual who doesn't know the whole story will buy the story. Another thing this 'author' kept writing was that Anastasia was the last'Tsarina of Russia.' I guess she figured to make a quick buck at peoples' expense.

Maybe to James VI, the 'Anastasia' book was laughable. Not every author can be like Robert K. Massie, you know. Hopefully, it's not like the disaster I read.

Not every author can be like Robert K. Massie, you know.
And I am thankful for that, though well-researched and well-regarded in his subjects, Russo finds Massie to be a bore. (See the book "Dreadnought")

"Dear Ellen" Photo album by Arturo Beeche (2012)

"Dear Ellen"
(Royal Europe Through the Photo Albums of Grand Duchess Helen Vladimirovna of Russia)
Arturo Beeche

• Hardcover
  • Publisher: Eurohistory; 1ST edition (2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 098546030X
  • ISBN-13: 978-0985460303

Description

144 glossy pages; the book contains 350+ rare images from the private collections of Grand Duchess Helen Vladimirovna and several of her descendants. a two-page family tree features most of the galaxy of royalty included in the pages of the books.
Dedication by HRH Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia and a Remembrance by HRH Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia.

v cover
reproduced for promotional purposes

Attachments

• Dear Ellen.jpg
    Dear Ellen.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 273
Coincidently my copy arrived today (ordered at van Hoogstraten). I can recommend it to everybody, a lot of photos I have never seen before.

Thx for posting. :: flowers :: the first two I haven't heard of but the lost crown looks to be a good one and one I want to read and hope to purchase soon while the kitchen boy by Robert Alexander I have and I liked it, it is narrated from the point view of a kitchen boy working for the royal family, after reading the kitchen boy I went on to purchase the Romanov bride and rasputin's daughter Also by Robert Alexander.

"Road to Ekaterinburg
Nicholas and Alexandra's Daughters 1913-1918"
by ECS Banks

ISBN: 2370004740379
ISBN-10: 2370004740
Format: ePUB
Language: English
Published: 8th January 2013

Amazon blurb

A new biography of the Russian Imperial Family...

In 1913 the world was unaware that it was in the brink of a cataclysmic war, while in Russia Tsar Nicholas II was about to see his dynasty crumble and his family torn apart. Set in the years 1913–18, 'Road to Ekaterinburg' recounts the real story of Nicholas and Alexandra and their daughters - the Grand Duchesses Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia. Through peacetime, war, revolution and their eventual murders, this biography of the Russian Royal Family shows the true characters of the Romanov daughters, detailing their bravery and individual charm as human beings thrown into a situation where they had no power to fight against their own destiny. 'Road to Ekaterinburg' is the ultimate fight against tragedy and for freedom of expression.

This is a story that has long needed to be told – simply the most comprehensive and accurate account of the tragic lives of the last crowned Tsar of Russia’s four daughters: the Grand Duchesses Olga, Tatiana, Marie and Anastasia.

Romanov fans will discover:

What was it like to be a Grand Duchess? Was it exciting or boring?
The day-to-day details of the lives of the Grand Duchesses;
Where they went and what they did;
What did the Grand Duchesses wear? Their clothes and hairstyles. The styles they preferred;
The Grand Duchesses in love.Who were the young men involved? What did they look like?
Details of the Grand Duchesses wartime nursing experiences. How they managed and what they did;
The Grand Duchesses' hobbies, boyfriends and friends. The books they read, music they listened to, people they liked;
How the Grand Duchesses bore up to imprisonment. Did their past experiences help them deal with it?
Plus Ortipo’s puppies and Anastasia’s worms.

Personal Note from the Author

"Many years ago I read 'Nicholas and Alexandra' by Robert K Massey and wished there was a 'Nicholas and Alexandra's Daughters' book. I was so disappointed when I found there wasn't one - so I set about writing it myself! Over 30 years and many thousands of pages of notes later I was diagnosed with cancer, so decided to use my time productively by compiling everything into a book. My own illness meant I spent a lot of time surrounded by medical staff, and I learned a lot about Victorian and Edwardian medicine, and this really helped me to understand the various illnesses of the Tsarevich, the Tsarina and the four Grand Duchesses. I enjoyed writing my book and sharing my passion … I hope readers will share my own enjoyment of the book and its subject."

v cover image
reproduced for promotional purposes

Attachments

• Ekaterinburg.jpg
    Ekaterinburg.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 287
I just downloaded a sample to my Kindle, I have always been very interested in the Tsar Nicholas, Tsarina Alix, and the Grand Duchesses. I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the link!!

Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie

Has anyone had a chance to purchase Camera and the Tsars: The Romanov Family in Photographs by Charlotte Zeepvat?
What are the quality of the photographs?

The Romanovs: 1613-1918 by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Petr II: 1715-1730 by Dmitriev D./Polezhaev

New book on Franziska Schanzkowsky, the Anastasia pretender

"Almost Anastasia tells the story of Franziska Schanzkowsky, the former factory worker who convinced royals, courtiers, and forensic experts that she was actually the Grand Duchess Anastasia, daughter of Nicholas II and sole survivor of the 1918 massacre at Ekaterinburg. DNA analysis has established who she really was, but once that mystery was solved the real mystery began—how did she do it? Why did she do it? What would it be like to step into someone else's life and live it forever? A work of narrative nonfiction drawn from original documents (some never before translated into English) and interviews with the people who knew her, Almost Anastasia follows Franziska from the streets of Berlin to the castles of deposed royalty, from Jazz Age New York to Nazi Germany and beyond. It is a tale of mystique, madness, and one woman’s determination to fool the world."

http://www.amazon.com/Almost-Anasta...d=1444916625&sr=8-1&keywords=almost+anastasia

Interesting book. I hope you are on sale here in Portugal.

This woman and her husband were not dealing with a full deck. When their cats died, they would cremate them in the fireplace. The neighbors were not amused.:eek:

How would Franziska have been so informed on very personal details of the court of Tsarina Alexandra? Obviously not every minute detail would have been written in newspaper articles.

Franziska's knowledge of life at the Russian Court came out of books and magazines that probably revealed more information than people realised. In the 1920s she spent a lot of time with exiled monarchists whose memories she must have paid careful attention to. Some may have inadvertently fed her information, others deliberately. Her "memories" were not always spot on, but people wanted to believe and helped her fill in the gaps. She must have been quite shrewd in the early years of her claim. But what's really impressive is that despite her appalling behaviour and major psychological problems, her supporters always stuck by her. Franziska was not the Grand Duchess she claimed to be, but it doesn't really matter now. In the end she won. She will always be part of the history of the young lady whose identity she usurped. What I would love to know, however, is whether she came to believe it herself.

Did she come to believe that she really was Anastasia? I think she was delusional and after decades of throwing herself into the 'role' it did become real to her.

Back
Top Bottom