"Revenge" by Tom Bower (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But he hasn’t moved on from it. His job (self-confessedly to ‘diminish the Sussexes’ with his biography) continues as he is still appearing on various shows and interviews to promote his book and blast away at the couple. He’s commented on plenty to do with them since publication, always negatively but not when he’s been proved incorrect apparently, as on this occasion.

Last edited:
But he hasn’t moved on from it. His job (self-confessedly to ‘diminish the Sussexes’ with his biography) continues as he is still appearing on various shows and interviews to promote his book and blast away at the couple. He’s commented on plenty to do with them since publication, always negatively but not when he’s been proved incorrect apparently, as on this occasion.

He promotes his book to sell it. It’s a job. You don’t really think he gives them any real thought in his own life?

I don’t think Bower is that neutral and dispassionate about the Sussexes. He gave several interviews when he was actually writing the book in which he stated that he didn’t care about them until he saw the Oprah interview and decided they were out to discredit the monarchy any way they could. And I must say that few biographers write books with the stated aim of ‘diminishing’ their subjects.

Since then he has kept to that theme in interviews and in fact has heightened it recently to inferring that he believes that the Sussexes wish to destroy the monarchy and the Commonwealth. So yes, I do think that he cares in real life and in fact dislikes the couple intensely.

Last edited:
I don’t think Bower is that neutral and dispassionate about the Sussexes. He gave several interviews when he was actually writing the book in which he stated that he didn’t care about them until he saw the Oprah interview and decided they were out to discredit the monarchy any way they could. And I must say that few biographers write books with the stated aim of ‘diminishing’ their subjects.

Since then he has kept to that theme in interviews and in fact has heightened it recently to inferring that he believes that the Sussexes wish to destroy the monarchy and the Commonwealth. So yes, I do think that he cares in real life and in fact dislikes the couple intensely.

Have you read the book? Apart from the odd clanger he isn’t even that harsh on them and he has absolutely no personal investment in them. He even admires Meghan in parts. As if he cares about this podcast. He won’t listen to it unless he is doing an update.

If H and M have an issue then they should just sue him.

While I agree that’s true of all jobs, I do have a couple of thoughts w/r/t Harry and Meghan:

IIRC- while Harry naturally had rules to abide by in the army, didn’t he cut his career short because of a “rule” he didn’t like: the part about a desk job?

And Meghan- one thing about that career- the jobs change a lot. If you don’t like something- change is inevitably around the corner.
Actually, Harry found himself in a strange situation after he returned from Afghanistan. When he was removed from Afghanistan after the Aussie trash mag 'outed' him he was faced with a situation no other officer was, namely sitting out the rest of his unit's deployment behind a desk, resigning or re-branching.

Harry chose the hard road and re-branched to the Army Air Corp, a very fulfilling and successful move as it got him back where all 'his boys' were. However, after the deployment, he returned to a situation where he was far older than his fellow aircrew and the men he had originally trained and fought with were all much further up the rank scale than he was.

For all the stated resentment of rules and unsubstantiated accusations that he railed against them, the situation was far more complex than that. He was seconded to a staff job while they tried to figure out where to put him, and fair dues, they understood the innate delicacy of the situation because outside (the Army) forces had totally derailed any career ambition he may have had and the situation was just plain awkward for both Harry and his fellow officers. Resigning really was the only viable choice for someone with his nature.
As to Bower [...] he has proudly blown his trumpet on how he wants to destroy the Sussexes reputation, lives and livelihood and if that doesn't give a fair and sensible person pause, I don't know what would.

Bower has made no secret of his feelings about the Sussexes and even though his book has more holes than a sieve, people still believe every word written. To those who do I can only imagine that cancel culture has replaced the daily dose of Soap Operas and that they neither know nor care as to the veracity of what is dished up daily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that I'm eager to read Bowers' book and it's on reserve for me at the library.

I'm a bit annoyed by that because I was the one who recommended the library purchase it. Since they did (because of the recommendation) shouldn't I get it first?

Instead I'm on a long wait list!

There are chapters free to read on some library websites Mirabel.

Below is a link - hope it works where you are - so you can make a start while you wait.

https://hornsby.overdrive.com/media/9114429

Tap “Read a Sample”, wait for the white page to turn black and then you have access to the Preface, Chapter 1 Thomas, Chapter 2 School, Chapter 3 College, and a lot of Chapter 4 Suits.

(You may need to turn your tablet … if you’re using one … to portrait instead of landscape to get the whole of each page on screen.)

I was in a bookshop last Saturday in Double Bay … one of Sydney’s richer suburbs, though it’s come out of lockdown a bit shabbier than it was, (Diana stayed in a hotel there once on a solo trip, should have taken some photos), anyway there were only two copies left sitting on the shelf.

Not that the less classy suburbs are missing out.

Target and Big W shops have been stocking it as well as the major bookshop chains here. I think there will be new stock coming as it seems to have sold well.

I think it will be a book that is available on-going, especially the soft cover version.

Nice looking book with the black and gold, eye-catching, plus it’s been covered a lot here, breakfast tv etc.

Last edited:
Having finished it as well as The Palace Papers, I have to say Tina Brown seems fairer to Meghan and Harry overall (she at least mentions how Harry is really gifted spatially and athletically, whereas Bower doesn't and chooses to say flatly Harry would not have gotten into Sandhurst due to poor reasoning and exam skills, had he not been the Prince.). It's Brown's 'Meghan was incredibly poorly prepared for what she was getting into, mostly but not entirely by choice' vs Bower's 'Meghan was never interested in adjusting to the RF, only in fame and moreso in money'. Also the Vladimir is identified as the 'emerald Russian tiara' Meghan wanted, although not at the point in Revenge where the matter is initially discussed.

I don't disbelieve Bower or the things in the book, though. I also noticed several sections of text in Revenge which would pop up again in entirety at a different later point, which was more than a bit befuddling. I hope all the cash pays for some better editing for the later editions.

I think the books work well as a tandem read.

(Also for those of you who get your library books electronically like me, my library's program has a "skip the line" function where available copies of heavily waitlisted books sometimes pop-up for 7 day short loans. You get to read the book and keep your place in the waiting line. I got both books that way; do recommend!)

Last edited:
Actually, Harry found himself in a strange situation after he returned from Afghanistan. When he was removed from Afghanistan after the Aussie trash mag 'outed' him he was faced with a situation no other officer was, namely sitting out the rest of his unit's deployment behind a desk, resigning or re-branching.

Harry chose the hard road and re-branched to the Army Air Corp, a very fulfilling and successful move as it got him back where all 'his boys' were. However, after the deployment, he returned to a situation where he was far older than his fellow aircrew and the men he had originally trained and fought with were all much further up the rank scale than he was.

For all the stated resentment of rules and unsubstantiated accusations that he railed against them, the situation was far more complex than that. He was seconded to a staff job while they tried to figure out where to put him, and fair dues, they understood the innate delicacy of the situation because outside (the Army) forces had totally derailed any career ambition he may have had and the situation was just plain awkward for both Harry and his fellow officers. Resigning really was the only viable choice for someone with his nature.
As to Bower, what a nasty little man he is. It beggars belief that anyone would take his word on anything to do with Harry and by extension, Meghan. He has proudly blown his trumpet on how he wants to destroy the Sussexes reputation, lives and livelihood and if that doesn't give a fair and sensible person pause, I don't know what would.

Bower has made no secret of his feelings about the Sussexes and even though his book has more holes than a sieve, people still believe every word written. To those who do I can only imagine that cancel culture has replaced the daily dose of Soap Operas and that they neither know nor care as to the veracity of what is dished up daily.
He doesn’t have to destroy the Sussexes. The Sussexes have pretty much made their own mess with a number things they did since they came to Montecito. You’re giving Bower a little too much credit.

I also think he has more to say but does not have the back up at the moment. There just might be an updated version.

Having finished it as well as The Palace Papers, I have to say Tina Brown seems fairer to Meghan and Harry overall (she at least mentions how Harry is really gifted spatially and athletically, whereas Bower doesn't and chooses to say flatly Harry would not have gotten into Sandhurst due to poor reasoning and exam skills, had he not been the Prince.). It's Brown's 'Meghan was incredibly poorly prepared for what she was getting into, mostly but not entirely by choice' vs Bower's 'Meghan was never interested in adjusting to the RF, only in fame and moreso in money'. Also the Vladimir is identified as the 'emerald Russian tiara' Meghan wanted, although not at the point where the matter is initially discussed.

I read both as well and also preferred The Palace Papers. Tina Brown has been writing about the royal family for so long, and as someone who worked in the British tabloid press during the Diana years and then moved into more upscale American publications, she is very well-placed to explain the differences between American celebrity press and British tabloid press and how unprepared Meghan was for the latter. I'd read that one again before Revenge, which had some interesting points but was a little bit repetitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally finished Bowers' book, and even though I'm a fast reader, it took forever. It was really tedious to go through, regardless of how you feel about H&M. And I agree with those who said it was a poorly edited book with a lot of little errors.

I have to say that I don't think he was unfair to H&M. It's more a book about Meghan than Harry, and he does say some admiring things about her. But, most of the incidents in the book just aren't very flattering.

I came away still wondering what her end-game is. If she's as calculating as Bowers paints her she's aiming for something, but it's not clear what.

This thread has been cleaned up. Several posts have been moved or deleted.

This thread is now re-opened.

Last edited:
My introduction to MM was her engagement announcement, November 27, 2017. (I was not impressed with her then, thinking her quite manipulative.)

So, when Bower’s book became available to me, I opened it immediately to the “Engagement” chapter to see his take on it and there read:

At 10am, wearing a £56,000 Ralph & Russo dress,…Meghan entered Kensington Palace’s Sunken Garden.

No! she wore a simple white coat at that announcement, not the pricey evening dress she donned for a Windsor photo shoot. My thought was if the author can’t get such a simple fact right, what else in the book lacks accuracy?

So I will continue to read, but with huge amounts of skepticism.

It was speculated in the media that it cost that amount but the cost wasn’t known, and I remember that Royal Reporter Richard Palmer stated that he was told that Meghan had bought the dress with her own money anyway.

It was speculated in the media that it cost that amount but the cost wasn’t known, and I remember that Royal Reporter Richard Palmer stated that he was told that Meghan had bought the dress with her own money anyway.

I do remember the furore over the cost of the dress, and whether it had been borrowed. I seem to remember KP confirming that the dress had been bought, and that it was not borrowed.

I do remember the furore over the cost of the dress, and whether it had been borrowed. I seem to remember KP confirming that the dress had been bought, and that it was not borrowed.
The reports were that Kensington Palace stated the dress was "privately purchased".

ETA:
Meghan wore a semi-sheer Ralph & Russo gown with gold feather detailing and a silk organza skirt, hand appliquéd with silk tulle ruffles from the Autumn/Winter 2016/2017 Collection. The Mail reports the couture gown was £56,000. Kensington Palace confirmed the piece was "privately purchased". Reporter Jack Rosyton said "I'm told Meghan didn't have to pay the full £56K".

source: https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/2017/12/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom