Queen Victoria, Family and Descendants

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fireweaver

Courtier
"Victoria's Daughters" by Jerrold M Packard

I picked this book up at a used bookstore, and I must say, I'm so impressed with it. It does get a bit confusing, as a lot of people have similar names (a problem in a lot of royal families). It gave me a lot of insight on Queen Victoria that I did not have before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerrold M. Packard wrote it.
I was very pleased that they had a "who is who" in the front.
I've decided that royal family trees are worse then family trees on soap opera's though. I gave up trying to figure out all the ways everyone was related :)

I read it a few years ago and found it very instructive and enjoyable. I hadn't realised that Princess Louise was quite so individual!

Is that the book which has pictures of all the daughters in little frames on the front cover? I vaguely remember not being able to tell any of them apart even after reading the book!

Yes, I am currently reading this book. I agree it can be a bit confusing. The author wrote about all the daughters at the same time. So sometimes it was easy to confuse them. I wish that he would just write about one daughters life, then once finished with that one move on to the next. But I suppose he had to write about all at the same time to give the reader an idea of family dynamics. All I can say is I'm glad Queen Victoria was not my parent. She comes across as very demanding, and immature. A bit like throwing a temper tantrum as an adult.

Another good book which takes place in the same time peroid is "The Empress of Farewells: The story of Empress Charlotte of Mexico" by Prince Michael of Greece. The beginning of the book is slow, but it gets really good toward the second half of the book.

Queen Victoria and Descendants

I believe I heard the latest update of the Queen Victoria's Decendants is out.
For the most comprehensive and uptodate listing of birth, death, and marriage (Plus much more) of all the decendants of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

yes, it is ... and it must be noted that this is a companion edition only. This edition updates the 1997 volume.

and I should know ... I think I am the author :)

aack, I forgot to put that information in, I'm so sorry!

Let's try this again :)

The Queen Victoria's Decendants (companion) by Marlene A. Eilers (Koneig)
(I'm not sure if you're using your married name or not).

Actually, Queen Victoria's Descendants (with the The) by Marlene A. Eilers. I use both names Eilers-Koenig for just about all writing, apart from this book because I used Eilers only for both the 87 and 97 editions.

thanks for the plug :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm sucking at the book plug, but it's gotten good reviews (the orginal) on amazon, and from what I've seen of you on the different message boards, you obviously know you're stuff, so, even bigger bonus there. Information from an author who knows what she's talking about :)

thank you ... it's a very nice plug, actually

except you forgot the publisher (Rosvall royal books)

:)

I was just looking at this book on the 'net yesterday!!

I was going to order it when I get a chance so it's good to know it's as good as I hoped it would be! :)

I have been eyeballing this book at Borders for months. I have been wanting to read it and read it, so it looks like I will have to...

"Born to Rule" by Julia Gelardi [about Queen Victoria's granddaughters]

"Born to Rule" by Julia Gelardi [about Queen Victoria's granddaughters]

I've been looking at the book Born to Rule by Julia Girlardi (sp?). It seems to be about five of Queen Victoria's granddaughters. I think it looks interesting, judging from Amazon.com's summary.

Has anyone read it? Was it good? Informative? Or?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it at the book store and read the jacket and flipped through the book. I thought it looked really good.

I recently bought the book thinking that it would have info. on Queen Maud. Its a good book, well researched and provides for a fast paced read. The only disappointment was the lack of info. on Queen Maud (the very reason I bought it) and Queen Sophie of Greece. Since, these two didn't live as "exciting" and "spicy" life as Missy, Alix and Ena, they end up being shortchanged. I would really have liked some more exciting info. on Maud and Sophie, besides that the book was well worth the price paid for it.

I just it out of the library last week I agree not enought information on Qs Maud and Sofie but it's still a good book for people who are not familiar with the other queens & it's in english and like me I did't have to buy it to read. I didn't know Queen Ena had lost a still born baby Fernando, or had another late miscarriage despite King Alphonoso cheating on her.

Another good book is "Grandmamma of Europe" by Theo Aronson,it mentions Queen Victora trying to get Sofie to not buy dept store bulk furniture for Tatoi
but Sofie din't listen.
Wittykitty:eek:

I'm reading it right now. It's not the most informative book (e.g. they didn't really mention how Edward VII made Ena a HRH - she was born only a HSH - right before her marriage to Alfonso so it would not seem like an unequal marriage. Does a lot of comparing between the women, which sometimes gets repetitive cz the author talks about one point over and over again. But it's still a good overall read. Maybe not worth the hardcover price and wait for the paperback. Or do what I did, ask the library to get it. :D

I think " Born to rule" is a very interesting and well researched Book. It shows different views and compares the Life of these 5 Women from their english Backround and the way they coped with their new Countries. It shows the different Charackters very well and is one of my Favorites

chanel.....you should read it..it was an excellent portrayal of her daughters. I never realized the degree of hell Princess Victoria's (Vicky) son, the future Kaiser, put on her and her husband.

I think out of all of them, Princess Louise really broke with convention in so many ways. She was somewhat of an early feminist for her time just through her actions..

I got it on Amazon.co.uk's January sale - and I have to say... I was a bit disappointed. It really felt like Maud and Sophie were just included so that there'd be five portraits instead of three... It seemed like the author couldn't wait to get back to the more exciting Marie or tragic Alix.

It was rather entertainingly written, but at times I expected much more deeper story.

One thing that bugs me about this book is that the author quotes from other people so much. I enjoyed learning more about Queen Ena but still, I wish that she had not used so many of the same books that I have read!

When you read about these poor girls, you realize that their life was NOT a piece of cake. In fact, it was pretty awful, most of the time!

I have ordered Theo Aronson's book about the Danish King that was the Father-in-Law of Europe. I think that will give me a lot of information about the Scandinavian countries. However, Aronson is a fantastic author if you want to read more about the granddaughters, etc. I will say look for his books instead!

I too gave in an bought the book when I came across it in a bookstore while on holiday. It was certainly a fascinating study in contrasts in various arranged dynastic marriages among some very strong willed women. I wish there had been more on Queen Maud,but I also wish something had been written about the granddaughter who would have been a queen,Margaret of Connaught.

I liked this book but I have to agree that there was little info on Queen Maud of Norway. Her life was pretty simple compared to the rest especially having only one child. There were a lot of names to keep up with in the beginning but it was pretty good read overall. I think the answer would be to find books on specific royal houses instead of a compilation.

tenngirl said:
I have ordered Theo Aronson's book about the Danish King that was the Father-in-Law of Europe. I think that will give me a lot of information about the Scandinavian countries. However, Aronson is a fantastic author if you want to read more about the granddaughters, etc. I will say look for his books instead!

It's great you were able to get hold of Theo Aronson's book - did you order it second hand? I have looked for it before but with no luck. His book on Queen Victoria's descendants is also a good for extra biographical information on the royal women from Born to Rule. :)

I have "Born to Rule". It's pretty informative if you ask me. It goes into detail about Ena's wedding. Alix's courtship with Nicholas II as well as Maud's and Marie's. I don't know about Sophie though...I haven't read that far yet. There's two sets of photos in it. They're ones I haven't seen before.

Maud Charlotte Mary Victoria, b. 26 Nov. 1869. Daughter of Edward VII & Queen Alexandra. Married Prince Carl of Denmark, who became King Haakon VII of Norway, on 22 July 1896.

Issue:

1. Alexander Edward Christian Frederik, Prince of Denmark, became Prince Olav in 1905 upon his father's coronation as Norway's first king.

Sophia Doretha Ulrike Alice, b. 14 June 1870. Daughter of Emperor Friederich III of Prussia & Empress Victoria, nee Princess Royal of Britain. Married King Constantine I (Tino) of the Hellenes (then crown prince) on 27 Oct. 1889.

Issue:

1. George II, b. 1890. Became King of the Hellenes in 1922 (and again in 1935). Married Princess Elisabetta of Romania. Had Children?
2. Alexander I, b. 1893. Became King of the Hellenes in 1917. Married Aspasia Manos, had one child, Princess Aleksandra. Died from monkey bite in 1920.
3. Helen, b. 1896. Became Crown Princess of Romania when she married Crown Prince Carol, who later became King Carol II, had one child, Prince Mihai, became King Mihai I of Romania. Carol and Helen divorced 1928.
4. Paul I, b. 1901. Became King of the Hellenes in 1947. Married Frederike of Hannover. Had Children?
5. Irene, b. 1904. Married Aimone, Duke of Aosta.
6. Katherine, b. 1913. Married Richard Brandram. Still living.

Alix Victoria Helena Louise Beatrice, b. 6 June 1872. Daughter of Princess Alice of Great Britain and Ireland & Grand Duke Ludwig IV of Hesse-Darmstadt. Married Tsar Nicholas II of Russia on Nov. 24, 1894.

Issue:

1. Olga Nikolaievna, b. 15 Nov. 1895
2. Tatiana Nikolaievna, b. 11 June 1897
3. Maria Nikolaievna, b. 14 June 1899
4. Anastasia Nikolaievna, b. 18 June 1901
5. Aleksei Nikolaievich, b. 12 Aug. 1904

Marie Alexandra Victoria, b. 29 Oct. 1875. Daughter of Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh & Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna of Russia. Married Crown Prince Ferdinand ("Nando") of Romania on 10 Jan. 1892.

Issue:

1. Carol II, b. 1893. Became King of Romania in 1930. Married Joana Lambrino, annulled in 1919. Married again, Princess Helen of Greece, had one son, Mihai.
2. Elisabetta, b. 1894. Married King George II of the Hellenes.
3. Marie ("Mignon"), b. 1900. Married King Aleksandar I of Yugoslavia. Had Children.
4. Nicolae, b. 1903. Married Joana Doletti. And then Married Thereza de Mello.
5. Ileana, b. 1909. (Thought to be the daughter of Grand Duke Boris of Russia) Married Archduke Anton of Austria-Tuscany. Divorced 1954. Married 2nd time, Stephen Issarescu, divorced 1965. Became Mother Alexandra of the Monastarey of Transfiguration in PA.
6. Mircea, b. 1913. Died 1916.

Victoria Eugenie Julia Ena, b. 24 Oct. 1887. Daughter of Princess Beatrice of Great Britain and Ireland & Prince Henry of Battenburg. Married King Alfonso of Spain on 31 May 1906.

Issue:
1. Alfonso Pio Cristino Eduardo Francisco Guillermo Carlos Enrique Eugenio Fernando Antonio Venancio, Prince of Austrias, b. 1907. Married twice. Children?
2. Jaime Luitpold Isabelino Enrique Alejandro Alberto Alfonso Victor Acacio Pedro Pablo Maria, Duke of Segoia, b. 1908. Married Emanuela de Dampierre. Children?
3. Beatriz Isabel Federica Alfonsa Eugenia Cristina Maria Teresa Bienvenida Ladisláa, b. 1909. Married Alessandro Torlonia, Prince of Civitella-Cesi Children?
4. Maria Cristina Teresa Alejandra Guadalupe Maria de la Concepción Ildefonsa Vitoria Eugénia, b. 1911. Married Enrico Cinzano, Count Marone. Children?
5. Juan Carlos Teresa Silvestre Alfonso, Conde de Barcelona, b. 1913. Married Maria de las Mercedes of Bourbon and the two Sicilies. Children?
6. Gonzalo Manuel Maria Bernardo Narciso Alfonso Mauricio, b. 1914. Married? Children?

Back
Top Bottom