Prince Andrew:The End of the Monarchy and Epstein

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it known who the author of the book is and when it will be published?

Last edited:
I shall be buying this biography. It's being described as 'a devastating psychological portrait' of Andrew. I remember rather unflattering stories about him as a boy, the adored third child of the Queen and Prince Philip, and it's always seemed to me that many of the characteristics prominent in the adult man were there from the beginning.

More than interesting.

May not be the only book to eventually come out about this whole situation too rominet09.

With so many media reports during the last year or so, covering the immediate revelations, I'd not thought that this will be a rich vein to mine.

There may be many writers looking at this episode in the Royal Family's life as time goes on, and more research is able to be done. More deep research I mean, as well as any further revelations and legal developements.

I shall be buying this biography. It's being described as 'a devastating psychological portrait' of Andrew. I remember rather unflattering stories about him as a boy, the adored third child of the Queen and Prince Philip, and it's always seemed to me that many of the characteristics prominent in the adult man were there from the beginning.

His nanny, Mabel Anderson, nicknamed him "Prince Grumpling" Curryong.

The first of many nicknames throughout his life, only one of which seems to have been affectionate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Sun Lion, I can remember his birth and the huge excitement surrounding it in the Press. However, from all I've read he doesn't appear to have made himself popular with Palace staff even when he was small, a rather bumptious child apparently. So yes, I will be interested to read this soon to be released biography.

Yes Sun Lion, I can remember his birth and the huge excitement surrounding it in the Press. However, from all I've read he doesn't appear to have made himself popular with Palace staff even when he was small, a rather bumptious child apparently. So yes, I will be interested to read this soon to be released biography.

And things just going more and more downhill Curryong.

Having to reimburse that foundation the money that went to his assistant, a legal case brought against he and the Duchess of York for the unpaid property debt.

Things spiralling out of the control of the Palace.

What they may have been able to manage/massage for public consumption in the past and no longer seem able to do.

I remember him in his teenage pin up idol days. All the girls thought he was to die for-I was one of them. I don't think I have ever found a British Royal prince as handsome as Andrew in his teens and 20's. I thought Sarah Ferguson was the luckiest girl in the world when news of the engagement broke.

I had only heard rumours that he was spoiled and a kind of horn dog. I had no idea about the really unpleasant stuff.:sad:

I remember him in his teenage pin up idol days. All the girls thought he was to die for-I was one of them. I don't think I have ever found a British Royal prince as handsome as Andrew in his teens and 20's. I thought Sarah Ferguson was the luckiest girl in the world when news of the engagement broke.

I had only heard rumours that he was spoiled and a kind of horn dog. I had no idea about the really unpleasant stuff.:sad:

Not my generation Moonmaiden, but I do remember the "glory days" of both the Duke and the Duchess.

People were so impressed with the Duchess taking up flying lessons - remember the coverage that got, the clips shaped like planes in her hair.

They were stars, she and the Duke. Yes, thought to be so lucky, to have so much going for them.

So much more opportunity and goodwill than most other people will ever have the chance of in life.

And this long, long downfall and the spotlight being so scorching, there is no place to hide.

The lady in the chalet dispute has now spoken out, this book, possible future documentaries ... what lays ahead?

I, most likely, will buy this book too but not until it comes at a cheaper price through abebooks.com. I get many books from the UK through there.

I remember well Andrew being called "Randy Andy" and as Andrew grew older, he surpassed Charles in being the "dream" prince heartthrob women drooled over. I was weird and stuck with Charles.

I also remember reading stories back then of Andrew's sense of entitlement. One blip was him and his girl friend arriving somewhere and going to enter the building (I think it was Koo Stark but don't quote me on that) and he said to her "I go first. I'm the prince". I thought "How rude!"

It seriously has been interesting times following the downfalls of both Andrew and Sarah through the years and how, remarkably, the trials and tribulations and jams they got themselves into never seemed to phase them at all. They even seemed to go through their own divorce with happy smiles as if they didn't have a care in the world.

I vividly remember a story in PEOPLE Magazine in the early 1980's. There was a kinky new nightclub/restaurant in London called "School Dinners" that catered to toffs and aristocrats .The menu featured the kind of meals they would have been forced to eat at their posh public schools...Eton, Harrow etc. Buxom and scantily clad young waitresses walked around with paddles to administer "discipline" to any toff who didnt clean his plate..."Misbehave and you'll feel the pain" was motto of the establishment.:lol:

Very British and very risque indeed. And Prince Andrew was said to be an enthusiastic and regular customer until the publicity became too much for the Palace.This was after he came back from the Falklands and just before Koo Stark.

I remember thinking it was hilarious, but in retrospect it gives some insight into a type of mentality that Andrew never really grew out of.

Last edited:
Code:
I, most likely, will buy this book too but not until it comes at a cheaper price through abebooks.com. I get many books from the UK through there.

I remember well Andrew being called "Randy Andy" and as Andrew grew older, he surpassed Charles in being the "dream" prince heartthrob women drooled over. I was weird and stuck with Charles.

I also remember reading stories back then of Andrew's sense of entitlement. One blip was him and his girl friend arriving somewhere and going to enter the building (I think it was Koo Stark but don't quote me on that) and he said to her "I go first. I'm the prince". I thought "How rude!"

It seriously has been interesting times following the downfalls of both Andrew and Sarah through the years and how, remarkably, the trials and tribulations and jams they got themselves into never seemed to phase them at all. They even seemed to go through their own divorce with happy smiles as if they didn't have a care in the world.

I agree Osipi - there didn't seem to have been a publicly noticeable "lightbulb" moment and a redrawing of a new way forward in life at any point.

I hope the book is as described - a psychological portrait. It will be enlightening if we can actually understand why things turned out as they did, rather than just a book listing what happened.

As Curryong posted above - and from the anecdotes in the article - it sounds like more a case of "nature" than "nuture. (Though too much indulgence of "nature" is not good for anyone.)

I do remember Diana saying the Duke was misunderstood - an insecure character, struggling within the family.

And I remember the anecdote in the article above as his father giving the Duke a good clout about the head with that remark about the "common people".

I hope it's a worthwhile, insightful book and not just a quick write up, so we can have an understanding of why, why, why?

Last edited:
I vividly remember a story in PEOPLE Magazine in the early 1980's. There was a kinky new nightclub/restaurant in London called "School Dinners" that catered to toffs and aristocrats .The menu featured the meals they would have been forced to eat at their posh public schools...Eton, Harrow etc. Buxom and scantily clad young waitresses walked around with paddles to administer "discipline" to any toff who didnt clean his plate..."Misbehave and you'll feel the pain" was motto of the establishment.:lol:

Very British and very risque indeed.

And Prince Andrew was said to be an enthusiastic and regular customer until the publicity became too much for the Palace.This was after he came back from the Falklands and just before Koo Stark.

I remember thinking it was hilarious, but in retrospect it gives some insight into a type of mentality that Andrew never really grew out of.

Sounds right up the Duke's alley Moonmaiden.

Remember he and his future wife throwing food at each other when they first met - while dining amongst other people. (I think it was at Ascot.)

That was a "shock" story at the time, as some of us common people wouldn't even eat in the street then, let alone throw food about.

(I mean when they first met as adults and began their relationship with each other. There are photos of them together as children, of course.)

Last edited:

There are old videos of him switching on the Christmas lights in London, that sort of thing, after his return from the Falklands. He was greeted like a rock star - huge crowds, girls yelling and screaming.

I also remember everyone rushing to buy "Fergie bows" for their hair!

For some inexplicable reason the Sussexes were brought up in this thread. That post got deleted as did the reply to that post.

Posters interested in discussing the duke and duchess of Sussex can do so in their sub-forum. More references to this couple - with the intent to abuse this thread for an entrenched discussion for fans & haters - will lead to an immidiate suspension.

Last edited:
that's always the excuse isn't it when someone in the family misbehaves "oh they're just misunderstood".

A very weird title for a book... it seems to aim scandal just for the sake of it...

I won’t be reading this book, but I’m sure it will be fascinating. Andrew was spoiled and indulged - it’s no wonder he turned out to be a spoiled and entitled adult.

The title is ridiculous, I have to say; the author is probably a Republican who hates the monarchy if he thinks Andrew has ruined the monarchy.

I read the DM article about the book.

I must confess that I didn't know much about Prince Andrew, apart from him serving in the Falklands War and being nicknamed "Randy Andy."

This side of him is quite an eye-opener for me!

What I find interesting and quite damaging for him, is the large number of named quotes.

I am however a little hesistant in putting too much credit on that book yet. Because if the article in DM in indicative for the book, it is not a portrait, nor an analysis of Andrew - it is more one long denigration of Andrew.

I'd like to learn about Andrew, also about his negative traits. But surely someone somewhere must have something good to say about him?
I want a 360 degree angle on Andrew. Does this book provide such a broad and in-depth picture of him?

I think the idea is that, unfortunately, scandal sells best. Books saying nice things about people never do as well. Prince Andrew was a naval hero, and he's done a reasonable job as an ambassador for British trade over the years. But, as many people - not just royals, but actors, pop stars, sports players and politicians have found - it's scandal that tends to stick. I'm not defending the bad things he's done, but any sort of biography should try to show a rounded picture of its subject.

Well Andrew has enough scandal to sell a whole bookshelf.

Its interesting to hear how popular Andrew once was as I'm too young to remember those days! It could certainly be a lesson for others how quickly and dramatically one can fall from grace.

I think the book sounds as if it is trying to see why Andrew has turned out like he has and that means looking at everything that has contributed to him being the man he is now, the good as well as the bad. But maybe sometimes there is just more bad than good to write about. A well rounded book needs a well rounded subject.

I'd like to learn about Andrew, also about his negative traits. But surely someone somewhere must have something good to say about him?

Good point!
I don't believe I've ever read any positive press about Andrew, even before the Epstein scandal.

I think his character might have been formed by what Charles once said of his brother: He's always wanted to be me.

Sarah is always very supportive of him....

Bear in mind the DM is just reporting on the book, without reading it in full we don't know what is says fully, it could be full of praise and the DM have just picked out the worst bits.

Bear in mind the DM is just reporting on the book, without reading it in full we don't know what is says fully, it could be full of praise and the DM have just picked out the worst bits.

I doubt it. Andrew's behaviour has been so bad In recent years, that I doubt if he's likely to get a lot of praise even from a sympathetic biographer. Even as a young man he was spoiled and arrogant, and I think that since his marriage, and the end of the marriage, his character has deteriorated, he's become not just arrogant but also greedy for money.. and seemingy completely indifferent to people whom he thinks of as "less" than himself.

Actually, the article for the Daily Mail was written by the author of the book, himself. If anyone knows what is in the book, he does. :D

Good point!
I don't believe I've ever read any positive press about Andrew, even before the Epstein scandal.

I think his character might have been formed by what Charles once said of his brother: He's always wanted to be me.

I’ll eventually read it. I remember too when he was born. Shenanigans always seem to be a part of a prince who, imo, thought he was untouchable.

Your last paragraph Mirabel says it all....

I am afraid that is a lesson more about the fickleness of society and today youth culture of celebrity - Andrew was lauded for his attractiveness and lad culture when he was younger and that sold papers. When the attraction waned as it does - his behavior was seen different. As a culture we do seem to make apologies for the behavior of young, rich and attractive people, we applaud and worship it, but nothing last forever.

The one positive thing I can say about him is that he seems a fiercely devoted father, and his daughters evidently return the feeling. That to me is crucial. There is a LOT to be said in favor of a person who raises their children well. Even though one must also factor in the extremely competent Scottish nannies the Yorks hired...

On a Today Show interview with Meredith Vieira, Andrew gave all the credit for how well his daughters turned out to their mother.

Which I found very generous and gracious of him.

So that is one very important and positive thing I feel I can say about Andrew.

ETA: I loved Claire's observation that people will forgive a lot when one is young and beautiful as Andrew was. But our culture has become-paradoxically-more lax about moral values and also more judgmental and unforgiving. Especially if you are no longer young and attractive.

Andrew's dashing war heroism is virtually forgotten, even by the people old enough to remember it.

And i also agree that both he and Sarah deteriorated sharply after the end of their marriage. They have drifted from one negative headline to another ever since.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom