The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2020, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Not sure I agree. Given the feverish press frenzy and allegations against him at the time, people would have needed to SEE and HEAR genuine...or the appearance of a genuine, mea culpa from the DoY.

A written interview would obviously had more control over content but from a pr standpoint it would not have accomplished what needed to be accomplished under the circumstances.

Written answers to questions vetted in advance would not have satisfied a cynical press and public.
However, it seems that a 'real interview' would never go well... even with the best preparation (I assume Andrew was prepped rather extensively this time as well and surely expected it to go well) his true colors would shine through... While the media might not have been satisfied, it would probably have died down at some point. A lot of people were surprised at the time of the interview because the fuzz had already died down quite a lot at that point.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:38 AM
Majesty

Would Andrew have welcomed or indeed accepted input and advice from his brother before undertaking this interview? It doesn't seem very likely to me. In his arrogance he might well have regarded any advice as interference, and indeed may have pointed to Charles's own disastrous interview with Jonathon Dimbleby which caused controversy in the 1990s.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:42 AM
Majesty

BINGO!! Given Andrew's...limitations..the thing to have done was to either keep silent and lay low OR submitted the written replies suggested by Somebody as a less satisfactory but acceptable alternative.

And Andrew does indeed take advice. Often.

From the wrong people.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-23-2020, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Would Andrew have welcomed or indeed accepted input and advice from his brother before undertaking this interview? It doesn't seem very likely to me. In his arrogance he might well have regarded any advice as interference, and indeed may have pointed to Charles's own disastrous interview with Jonathon Dimbleby which caused controversy in the 1990s.
I don't think his brother is a professional in this area either, so while good to talk something like this through with his mother (or if she requested so with her heir/his brother), I was thinking about a preparation by the lawyers and public relations professionals that Moonmaiden mentioned.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I don't think his brother is a professional in this area either, so while good to talk something like this through with his mother (or if she requested so with her heir/his brother), I was thinking about a preparation by the lawyers and public relations professionals that Moonmaiden mentioned.
Probably he did have sessions with PR people and lawyers, if only to make sure he did not say anything on TV that might cause legal problems. But if they advised him to try and sound sincerely sorry, they were talknig to the wrong guy... He wasn't going to listen. He isn't capable of taking that kind of advice.. because he simply does not feel sorry. He expressed sympathy with the victims only after the interview had gone so badly.. and even he realised that he had come across appallingly...
Old 05-23-2020, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
BINGO!! Given Andrew's...limitations..the thing to have done was to either keep silent and lay low OR submitted the written replies suggested by Somebody as a less satisfactory but acceptable alternative.

And Andrew does indeed take advice. Often.

From the wrong people.
I don't think he does... I think he always goes his own way, and only "takes advice" if it suits what he wants to do himself. As I recall, there is some story that he was advised to drop Epstein some time ago and he was going on about how it was a good thing to be loyal to your friends so he wasn't going to drop him... I find it hard to beleiv that many people he knew did NOT say to him "you're going to have to drop Epstein". Who would advise him to keep up the friendship?
Old 06-10-2020, 07:52 PM
Majesty

I've just purchased (at a cheap price) the new bio of Andrew by Nigel Cawthorne. Atrociously written IMO, so much so that I wonder whether he bashed it out on his laptop over a 24 hour period, including the time when he should have been sleeping!

Some of the indulgences shown to Andrew as a child by both his parents but not to the other siblings are detailed. He certainly does not appear to have been popular with his peers or superiors during his training for the RN nor afterwards as a junior officer. 'Full of himself' was the prevailing view.

A great deal of the book is taken up with Epstein and his victims, innumerable girls' testimony and statements. There are also descriptions of the highly unusual interior decoration in the Epstein residences which it would have been impossible for anyone who wasn't blind to miss. A 'masseuse' was available to passengers on Epstein planes.

There are also accounts of his travels with Ghislaine M over the years, and of the friendship between the Yorks and Epstein and his procurer of a girlfriend. Financial Corruption as well, Andrew saying to a friend 'You're talking my language!' when the pal suggested a way of covering things up. Nobody could read this and have any lingering respect for Andrew whatsoever!
Old 06-11-2020, 12:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think I'm going to get this book. Just because I can.
"All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life : he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle 1854
Old 06-11-2020, 05:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAtLast View Post
Charles and the Queen are spineless when it comes to handling their wayward second sons!
Charles would not like to much scrutiny on his main charity. He will be the last person to point out any of Andrew's missteps.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Charles would not like to much scrutiny on his main charity. He will be the last person to point out any of Andrew's missteps.
I dont know what you mean by Charles' main charity but I think that he is very aware of Andrew's faults and is probably the one who has pushed the queen to back bench him..
Old 06-11-2020, 07:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post

No member of the royal family is going to publicly discuss Andrew so your point is mute.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:30 PM
Royal Highness

This article, of a few days ago, says Nigel Cawthorne's new book is yet to be published in the UK. Some of the central claims are being disputed.

There has been a bit of publicity in the media of this "silent coup" by the two heirs to the throne against the trouble-some two spares, so many are probably already aware of this theme in the book.

But I'm a bit suprised if the actual book is not available there yet.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle...ectid=12343618
Old Yesterday, 03:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

You can’t buy it on amazon yet. Publication date is set as yesterday so I could see that being the reason.

The reviews are as expected though, littered with mistakes, no new information and nothing particular interesting in there to start with.
Old Yesterday, 04:41 AM
Heir Apparent

It soudns pretty ridiculous.. Of cousrse Andrew has to be sidelined.. but H left because he wanted to...