Morocco Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melania

Gentry
City
Dallas
Country
United States
I don't know if this book has been discussed here, but Stolen Lives by Malika Oufkir is a very insightful novel written by a woman who was adopted by Mohammed V and raised as a princess along side his youngest daughter Lalla Mina. This book offers very intriguing details on royal life in Morocco as well as how cruel a king may be in efforts to secure a kingdom. Malika's father was one of Mohammed V's top generals and her mother was a socialite who was a favorite of the king's 2 wives. When her father betrayed the king, he was killed, and his family, including Malika, were imprisoned in solitary cells for 10 years; they later escaped to tell their story. It is a good read whether you are into the MRF of not. It was chosen by Oprah's Book Club and is one of my favorite books. Has anyone read it?

Last edited:
I read that book. You have to know that Mohamed 5 never adopted any one. Malika oufkir was not raised at all as a princess along side another princess. It's not lalla mina, but lalla amina. And lalla amina, daughter of the late king mohamed 5 and sister of late king hassan 2, is much older than malika oufkir. So this can't be true. What is true is that malika oufkir was the daughter of one of hassan 2's generals, Oufkir, and he betrayed king hassan 2 for he participated in an operation to make a plane crash. In that plane was hassan 2. He was killed, probably by hassan 2 himself. His family was emprisoned, and they escaped. Not really to tell their story as you mentioned, but just to get their freedom, and because they were living in bad conditions. Malika oufkir's mother, fatima, also wrote a book about that. It is their story, they have the right to tell it. But don't believe everything that is written there. If you look in king mohamed 6 current tread, you'll find some news about a comission that recently worked on that subject (human rights in general). Oufkir's family were not the only ones to be emprisoned; it was the case for many opponents. Hassan 2 didn't always respect human rights.

I think you are wrong in part of your response. In the book, it talks about the king and many other royal families adopting, but in Malika's words, "it was rare for a child adopted by a sovereign to become, like me, almost the equal of a princess." And yes, according to the book, they were the same age (maybe a year or two age difference, but they were educated together and played together from a very early age) and Malika called the princess Lalla Mina. Hassan II probably did kill Oufkir, and I never said that they didn't escape for freedom. On Oufkir not being a general for Mohammed V, maybe not a top general, but he was a top general for Hassan II for sure. That part is correct. The book is still very interesting and hasn't been accused of being partly fabricated like James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces," another book from Oprah's book club. I think it is a valid book, and it still gives very interesting details into the lives of the MRF. Correct me if I am wrong. :D

I'd read both the book of Malika Oufkir "stolen lives" and the book of her mother Fatima oufkir "The king's gardens",they talk almsot about the same story.

Everybody knows and admits that during king HassanII's reign,called "les années du plomb" or "lead's years",there was lot of human rights violations,the family oufkir was one of the victims,(even though their father General oufkir deseved what happened to him as he was a betrayer....) ,that is why they try now to fix the previous mistakes by what's called comission of reconciliation created by initiative of KM6 and human rights organisation.

I also agree with Clymène about the adopting thing,Malika was never adopted by king MV,she was raised with the princesses in the palace,but she had always contact with her parents,as her mother worked in the palace...,and also for the simple reason that adopting is not allowed in Islam,I think raised is the correct word.

Last edited:
That was going to be my question, if it was a work of fiction/romance novel or a bio? Anyone can share if the book is an interesting read?

Monalisa said:
...,and also for the simple reason that adopting is not allowed in Islam,I think raised is the correct word.

Since when was adopting against Islam? I know many who have adopted and are devout muslims.

I also read the book. I tought that it was shocking!

I, also read the book and thought it was an excellent depiction of terror and misery. Their lives were incredibly unfortunate, that is a nice way of putting it. They struggled and overcame what many of us might not. Rulers who feel they are sacrosanct from any public scrutiny, do what they please. I have no doubt that this happened. I, too, think the word adopted is really "was raised together". Not that he couldn't adopt her, but that was not the intent.

Books about Morocco royal family

El último rey: crepúsculo de una dinastía”
by Tuquoi, Jean-Pierre

Publisher: Galaxia Gutenberg / Círculo de Lectores
Barcelona, Spain
This book is great. Is about the life and personality of Morocco royal family.

“Notre ami le roi”
by Gilles Perrault
Publisher: Gallimard
French
ISBN: 978-2070719815

“Nuestro amigo el rey”
by Perrault, Gilles
Plaza & Janés, Spain
This book is the spanish version of “Notre ami le roi”.

“Morocco Under King Hassan”
by Stephen O. Hughes
Publisher: Ithaca; 1st edition
March 2006
English
ISBN: 978-0863723124

“Hassan II: la dimension d'un roi”
by El Alaoui Issa Babana
Editeur: Fabert
7 septembre 1999
Collection : Hommes d'État
Français
ISBN: 978-2876580787

“La Mémoire d'un roi”
by Hassan II (Auteur), Eric Laurent (Auteur)
Editeur: Omnibus
12 septembre 1999
Français
ISBN: 978-2259025966

“Hassan II, la memoria de un Rey”
by Eric Laurent.

Publisher: Ediciones B, Spain
This book is the spanish version of
“La Mémoire d'un roi”.

Hassan II : Images de la mémoire d'un roi
Editeur: ACR Edition
Collection : Image du Monde
ISBN: 978-9981878006

“Mohammed VI: un style de gouvernement”
by Issa Babana El Alaoui (Auteur), Michel de Gravi (Préface)
Editeur: Souffles
1 mai 2003
Collection: Hommes d'état
Français
ISBN: 978-2876580794

Does anyone knows titles of books about Prince Mulay Rachid (the brother of King Mohamed VI) and Princess Salma Bennani??

it's a new book about the current king of Morocco Mohamed VI, written by one of the most famous Moroccan journalist
a book without complisance about the king and also the MRF, that won't be distributed in Morocco
Mohammed VI, le grand malentendu, Ali Amar - Nouveautés Livre : tous les livres Ã* la Fnac
Mohammed VI : Le grand malentendu: Ali Amar: Amazon.fr: Livres

in this site some "extraits" about the book of ali amar "Mohammed VI, le grand malentendu" seems to be very intereing, it speaks about the king and also lalla salma and the members of the MRF, if anyone has more about this book I am very intersed, it won't be distributed in morocco, then i can't buy it
www.bakchich.info/Ali-Amar-Le-Journal-Hebdo-Mohammed,07531.html

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: so buy ALjareeda Aloula,they publish the book in part ;)

there is another book about M6 published this month too by spanish journalist Ferran Sales called "El príncipe que no quería ser rey",the prince who didn't want to be a king.
there is many many books wrote about M6 more than the ones wrote about his father H2.

Last edited by a moderator:
in this site some "extraits" about the book of ali amar "Mohammed VI, le grand malentendu" seems to be very intereing, it speaks about the king and also lalla salma and the members of the MRF, if anyone has more about this book I am very intersed, it won't be distributed in morocco, then i can't buy it
www.bakchich.info/Ali-Amar-Le-Journal-Hebdo-Mohammed,07531.html
did you try ebay?very pratical i use it serval time.i think (not sur)they have the book?
althought i don't see the content of this book is a problem all the moroccan pappers already published alot of parts of it,the most intersting more than the book itself is how controversial is the book and the poleminc he made in Morocco on net and the magazines...ext,and the reactions about this book(with or against)the most intersting and surprising of those reactions is the ones of the writer BF Moulay Hicham:cool:

a new book about mohammed VI appear for his 10th accession anniversary called"Le Maroc de Mohammed VI, la transition inachevée" 'Morocco of Mohammed VI incomplete transition'
Le Maroc de Mohammed VI

Back
Top Bottom