Miscellaneous and Trans-National Books

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynn

Gentry
City
Largo
Country
United States
I recently bought the book "Royal Babylon" by Karl Shaw. It contains historical anecdotes and stories about various royal families in Europe. Has anyone read this, and would you say that it is based on facts? Thanks in advance! :flower:

From Cradle to Crown

Hi, everyone! Has anyone here bought From Cradle to Crown: British Nannies and Governesses at the World's Royal Courts? It was published a couple of months ago, and it's by Charlotte Zeepvat, who's an excellent author of royal books. If anyone has read it, what do you think? I'd like to hear your comments and opinions, as I am considering buying it. :) :) It's for sale on amazon.co.uk if you want to check out the description.

KatieLouise,
Have you bought this book yet? If so, what do you think of it? I really want to buy it, I love Charlotte's books. They are so interesting and well written.

Tenngirl

I've just finished reading it. It took me over two days - not because I'm a slow reader - but because there are so many facts, and names to remember, that sometimes I felt like my brain was being overloaded with information.

It's an interesting book, don't get me wrong - but at times, I was rather wishing that she would have one chapter for each royal house instead of all that jumping around, in order to be able to tell the stories without distractions. But on the other hand, having themed chapters (Nurses and WWI, for example) also worked to a certain degree.

I love Charlotte Zeepvat's books. I have "The Camera and the Tsar" and "Queen Victoria's Family." The only real problem I have with her writing is that she calls the Russian Grand Dukes and Duchesses 'Grand Prince/ss' It really bugged me when I read "Romanov Autumn" but I'm looking forward to reading her new book. I've got it requested on interlibrary loan.

Writing about royals

Do royals cooperate with authors who are trying to write about them? Or is this information garnered from other sources? I'm wondering if royals give consent to any "authorized" biographies.

It very much depends. I've started writing a Royal tome and I'm finding that it's extremely hard to get people to co-operate.

Princess Diana helped her friend Andrew Norton to write her biography, but i think it rarely happens.

Queen Sofia helped Pilar Urbano to write a biography, as also King Juan Carlos, King Constantine, Princess Irene, Princess Tatiana. :)

BeatrixFan said:
It very much depends. I've started writing a Royal tome and I'm finding that it's extremely hard to get people to co-operate.

What's a royal tome? Did you write the PR person for the palace directly? Did you try to contact the family? I have been toying with the idea of writing a fictional story based on historical people. Then, I thought it might be fun to write about a royal instead. But I was jst throwing the idea around.

The biography about King Harald that came out this year was with his cooperation - he, his family, and his friends were interviewed for it. It is the same with the biography of Mette-Marit that is due next year.

My guess is that if you've already published something favourable, either about the royals or about something else, it is going to be easier to get cooperation, than if you're coming from "nowhere".

What's a royal tome? Did you write the PR person for the palace directly? Did you try to contact the family?
Tome = Book. I'm writing a book with the working title of "Wallis R" which is basically a counterfactual based on what would have happened had Wallis Simpson become Queen Consort, had a son and then become regent as he grew up. Very far fetched but fun to write. I tried to get interviews from several of Wallis's friends and wrote to Princess Michael of Kent who's office said that she was far too busy. Which I expected. It's a touchy subject I suppose.

Sounds interesting. I want to write something like "Girl With a Pearl Earring" something with real people and a made up story.

Polish Royalty Books

Recently in polish library apparead fantastic book written by Jerzy Besala and dedicated to royal marriages of polish kings. The title in polish is" Malzenstwa krolewskie"=" Royal matrimony".
The first book is dedicated to our firs kings Piasts, the second one regards Jagiellons.
The book is full of interesting details, mostly unknown or little known.
I highly recommend it , unfortunately until now there's only polish version

Five Gold Rings

Five Gold Rings :onering: :onering: :onering: :onering: :onering: is a book about the weddings of the five monarchs from Queen Victoria to Princess Elizabeth and is being issued to coincide with the anniversary of the Queen's wedding in 1947. It's a fairly small book and doesn't go into exhaustive detail, but it's full of the most gorgeous photos of dresses and jewels as well as other memorabilia. Just got my copy from Amazon.co.uk and am having a good wallow.

Thanks Elspeth. I just looked it up on Amazon.com and not available in the States until late July. But since its fairly inexpensive and liked by you, I'll pre-order a copy.:flowers:

Does anyone know whether the book is avaliable [in English] in Australia by Cartarina Hurtig?
Strömland Agency
Danish Royal Watchers

Princess is no profession. It is a title.
There are plenty of Princes and Princesses (and Counts and Countesses, and Barons and Baronesses) having their own businesses, working in a company, whatever.

Indeed not a very reliable sounding book with such a ridiculous title.

Indeed not a very reliable sounding book with such a ridiculous title.
According to the blurb, the book is about "the ten most famous princesses of the new generation" and along with Letizia, Maxima, Mette Marit etc the list includes a 'Charlotte'. Surely not Miss Charlotte Casiraghi? Has she achieved something we haven't been told about?

According to the blurb, the book is about "the ten most famous princesses of the new generation" and along with Letizia, Maxima, Mette Marit etc the list includes a 'Charlotte'.
Well i guess itll be intresting but, the question is how reliable is this book?!:neutral:

Surely not Miss Charlotte Casiraghi? Has she achieved something we haven't been told about?
breaking the record of a princess's daughter attending fashion shows & wearing couture at such a young age i guess, nothing other than that rings a bell:lol:but i really do like following up on her:)

One could argue that none of the princesses are famous for their achievement, but rather by virtue of being born into royalty or marrying into it. This is specifically true of Charlotte, whose grandmother is the embodiment of this “fairytale”. I agree. The title of this book is peculiar.

I think that perhaps what the title might mean is these women are princesses, and have turned that into their career.

You will love it!

Thanks Elspeth. I just looked it up on Amazon.com and not available in the States until late July. But since its fairly inexpensive and liked by you, I'll pre-order a copy.:flowers:

I found a listing for the book on the Windsor Castle website and was upset I couldn't order it from the US online. I picked up a copy while I was at Windsor Castle in June and have not regretted it! The exhibit was lovely and I just wish I could have gone to the display at Buckingham Palace as well with QEII's dress (wasn't on display yet). My luggage was just about all books on the way home, threw out the toiletries to make more space. I should have just taken another empty suitcase to begin with for more take-home goodies.:lol:

Just order it from the royal collection website. You won't find it on the US shop, but it is on the UK and the rest of the world shop. I have ordered from the UK site many many times (i.e. Christmas and birthday gifts). It might take just a little longer for shipping across the pond (plus additional postage), but I have never had a problem.. Which reminds me, time to start shopping for Christmas. :flowers:

You can order it from the US Amazon now too.

I picked this book up in the gift shop at Buckingham Palace, it is really worth the £9.95 A* Publication

Crown & Country.

I started to watch this program on the History channel on Foxtel. Very interesting program, lots of things I didn't know about the country of great britain.:)

Crown & Country

I've heard about this. I would really like to see a clip or two to see examples of what it represents. I get very basic cable, so I never see anything new--I have to hear it by word of mouth on these forums or other royal websites. Thanks for the remind!:D

Back
Top Bottom