June 2008: "Princess Margaret" by Tim Heald

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure it didn't cross the King's mind that this would happen, with Townsend being so much older and also married. But it does seem unfortunate that nobody appeared to notice the way things were developing until they'd reached the point where the friendship had turned into love (or at least infatuation). I suppose hindsight is always helpful, but there was Elizabeth in love with Philip and no doubt the King and Queen focussed on that, especially since Philip was considered unsuitable in some areas of the Establishment, including some of the royal advisors - and according to Marion Crawford, Margaret always wanted what Elizabeth had ("wait for me, Lilibet!"). In some ways it almost seemed as though Margaret was saying, "You think Lilibet's found herself a controversial spouse? Well, how about this?"

I think the way this affair was handled after the King's death was downright cruel, especially considering how Margaret had been petted and indulged and allowed to get away with things when she was younger, giving her the idea she could probably get away with this too. I understand that her mother took a long time to get over her husband's death and her own diminished position after her daughter became Queen, but she could have roused herself to intervene a bit sooner and more firmly and not let Margaret spend those years carrying false hopes.

This week's discussion covers chapters 5 and 6, which discuss the 1970s and 1980s.

Chapter 5: The Seventies
  • The Snowdon marriage breaks down; the unpleasant atmosphere causes problems for the Princess's senior aides
  • Margaret is consistently unpopular in the press; she is accused of being extravagant and lazy, especially after taking high-profile holidays on Mustique
  • She has a highly public affair with Roddy Llewellyn, while also making friends with people who wouldn't normally be part of the royal circle
  • Royal duties continue, appearing to be much the same as in the previous decades of her life; here again, she starts being criticised for her attitude and her perceived lack of diligence
Chapter 6: The Eighties
  • Margaret attracts continuing negative publicity as she performs public duties
  • Never as healthy as her sister, she experiences some serious health problems as a lifetime of smoking and drinking catch up with her
  • She is sidelined more and more as the Queen's children take on royal duties, marry, and have children; in 1985 she ceased to be a Counsellor of State, being replaced by Prince Edward once he turned 21
  • Her close relationship with her children continues to be emphasised
  • After all the years in the limelight, she's becoming more irrelevant as a royal and isn't seen by the press or most of the public as being worth the money she receives
Some questions to consider

1. By this stage in her life, it seems as though she'd been wandering through her life with no clear purpose. Is this part of the collateral damage of being a younger royal sibling, or could it have been avoided?
2. Was there a way for her to maintain a higher royal profile without upstaging her niece and nephews?
3. The title of the book, "A Life Unravelled," is supposed to refer to the author's attempt to understand her life; however, the unravelling could also be applied to her own experience, especially at this stage. Was this unravelling inevitable, and did she get enough support from her family?
4. She received consistently bad press in the 1970s and 1980s, especially in comparison with the Queen and the Duchess of Kent. Was it deserved, or just the press playing the good guy/bad guy game?

Well, it looks as though everyone has given up on this book. Just when it was getting interesting, too. ;)

Is anyone still reading?

I haven´t given up on the book but it is out of my reach by over 400 km until August, I am relying on my memory of the book and "those days". I also think it was downright cruel the way Princess Margaret was treated. It wasn´t though she was ever going to be Queen. Her sister got what she wanted and Peter Townsend was considered the innocent party in the divorce. I believe that if Princess Margaret was bitter over the way she was treated later on in life I think she had every right to feel that way. She said once that when her father became King she became nothing.....
Such a pretty talented Princess, you would think life would smile on her.
She was faced with losing her royal privileges (and probably income) and going to live abroad, she chose what she knew, but very reluctantly. I heard rumours at the time that one of the people most against her marriage to Peter Townsend was Prince Philip, but if this was true or not I have no idea.
I have always been very interested in Princess Margaret and I am always willing to discuss her life. I would just like to have the book at the moment to discuss what it actually says instead of going from memory.

Re: Memory

I am discussing this from memory too, I'm afraid. I thought that Princess Margaret was the more honourable person in the affair with Townsend. I got the impression that she took the pact that she made with him that neither of them would marry very seriously, and she married Snowdon on the rebound. She was very upset when Townsend married.

Apparently the Royals didn't want another scandal like they had with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

I have been reading Phillip and Elizabeth by Giles Brandreth. He writes that the PM was very much against the match, even though he was divorced himself, and he was instrumental in the law which would strike the Princess off the Civil List if she married Townsend. I won't swear here, but a certain word starting with 'B' comes to mind!

Best,
Lisa

It seems e seem to be down to three discussing the book with only Elspeth with the book in front of her.
I find it amazing how a young girl with so much going for her ended up being pitied.
She had a reputation when she was young of being "wild" in those days they had no idea what wild was. She once danced the cancan and it became a huge scandal also her friendship with a young American girl (sorry can´t remember her name). This, of course, was before the Townsend affair.
At one time it seemed she couldn´t do even one thing right. I believe that it was her status as a younger sibling that caused her most grief also the realisation that her sister could do no wrong and almost without effort on her part the people revered and loved her. It would be very frustrating for anyone but Margaret was especially pretty, intelligent and gifted and of course she had been terribly spoilt. As the late King said about his daughters, the eldest was his pride and the youngest was his joy...
What a shock for her to find that the one thing she really wanted was denied her, or that she would have to pay a very high price to obtain it.
In the years she was growing up and as a young woman I never heard anything about her bad health, and as I can remember this part of the book do you think the author is exaggerating this so as to justify his theory at the end?

It seems we seem to be down to three discussing the book with only Elspeth with the book in front of her.

Yes, it's interesting because there seemed to be a lot of enthusiasm about this book when we were discussing possible choices. I hope this is just a case of people being busy with exams and vacations and so on, and not some sort of sign that the book club isn't working.

I find it amazing how a young girl with so much going for her ended up being pitied.
She had a reputation when she was young of being "wild" in those days they had no idea what wild was. She once danced the cancan and it became a huge scandal also her friendship with a young American girl (sorry can´t remember her name). This, of course, was before the Townsend affair.

I've been reading the Christopher Warwick biography along with the Tim Heald one, and I must say that in some respects I prefer it although they both have their strengths. It seems from both books as though Margaret was petted and indulged as a child, possibly especially so after her father became King as a way to compensate her for the increased importance of her sister, and so she was unprepared for some harsh realities when she got older. The fact that the Queen Mother was too wrapped up in her own grief at her husband's death and her own changed circumstances, as well as being the sort of person who preferred to ignore problems rather than confronting them (the well-known "ostriching" phenomenon), didn't help Margaret with the Townsend affair. Nor did the fact that her sister was having to come to grips with all her new responsibilities as well as a young family, and probably didn't have the spare time or energy to really devote to Margaret.

I remember reading - not in the context of Margaret, if I remember right - that certain senior members of the Household took advantage of the Queen's youth and inexperience to exert more control and influence than perhaps they had been accustomed to doing before. I wonder if they'd have been allowed to get away with this awful treatment of Margaret over the Townsend business if George VI had still been alive.

At one time it seemed she couldn´t do even one thing right. I believe that it was her status as a younger sibling that caused her most grief also the realisation that her sister could do no wrong and almost without effort on her part the people revered and loved her. It would be very frustrating for anyone but Margaret was especially pretty, intelligent and gifted and of course she had been terribly spoilt. As the late King said about his daughters, the eldest was his pride and the youngest was his joy...
What a shock for her to find that the one thing she really wanted was denied her, or that she would have to pay a very high price to obtain it.
In the years she was growing up and as a young woman I never heard anything about her bad health, and as I can remember this part of the book do you think the author is exaggerating this so as to justify his theory at the end?

I'm not sure about that, because Marion Crawford hinted (and I think in at least one place actually said) that Margaret wasn't as robust as Elizabeth and was more high-strung altogether and more prone to fatigue. When that constitution is combined with her smoking and drinking - and it seems from one of the photos in the Heald book that she was already smoking by the age of 15:eek: - I can see where her health might have buckled under the strain.

Last edited:
I haven't been reading the book, but it sounds interesting.

I have one question that's never been explained. I have read that the Queen Mother's situation in the early years really preoccupied her daughter EII. Beyond the widow's depression and grief, what was the problem? Was the QM unwilling to relinquish the limelight? Was there some other problem?

I am discussing this from memory too, I'm afraid. I thought that Princess Margaret was the more honourable person in the affair with Townsend. I got the impression that she took the pact that she made with him that neither of them would marry very seriously, and she married Snowdon on the rebound. She was very upset when Townsend married.

Apparently the Royals didn't want another scandal like they had with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

Yes, and apparently they thought they could get away with the same underhanded and stunningly cruel behaviour. The thing is that the 1950s weren't the same as the 1930s - a lot of things had changed after the War - and also Peter Townsend wasn't as universally despised as Wallis Simpson. I think some of this stuff rebounded on them fairly badly, one way and another.

Mind you, I did read somewhere (I wish I could remember where I read some of these things!) that Peter Townsend was a young girl's fantasy of the perfect lover and wasn't really a viable real-life partner. That could well be hindsight, but I thought it was an interesting perspective.

I was surprised to read in the Heald book that Margaret was determined never to marry if she couldn't marry Townsend, and felt so betrayed when he finally married (so she married Tony Armstrong-Jones in the rebound, as you said). From all the descriptions of her as a girl and a young woman, she doesn't seem like the sort of person who would have happily remained single for ever, and it seems as though this would have been a declaration made in the heat of the moment that she'd have gone back on a couple of years later when it became clear that she couldn't marry him. The fact that she was apparently determined to see this "if I can't marry him I won't marry anyone" attitude through to middle age and maybe beyond was rather strange to me, and showed a side of her character that I hadn't expected. It seemed so self-destructive and unnecessary.

I have been reading Phillip and Elizabeth by Giles Brandreth. He writes that the PM was very much against the match, even though he was divorced himself, and he was instrumental in the law which would strike the Princess off the Civil List if she married Townsend. I won't swear here, but a certain word starting with 'B' comes to mind!

These bloody Prime Ministers and their infernal interference in the private lives of royals! I wonder if he had some strange idea that as long as Princess Margaret wasn't allowed to marry a divorced man, so that the royals symbolically did things that everyone else thought was the right thing to do but didn't want to do themselves, it made it OK for him to have been divorced. "Do as I say, don't do as I do."

I liked the Brandreth book; what do you think of it?

The thing which really struck me about the two chapters for this week's reading - the 1970s and 1980s - was the way her earlier experiences conspired to make her later life so unhappy and meaningless. It's easy to look back with hindsight, but the system where everything is invested in the eldest child is really very hard on younger siblings, especially when there's only one of them. It's a shame she wasn't encouraged to compensate for her position by getting a decent education and maybe channelling her abilities and skills into something worthwhile. She was probably of the generation (to say nothing of the social class) where a career was out of the question, but it's a shame that an equivalent to the Duke of Edinburgh Awards, but maybe in the performing arts or something, couldn't have been set up for her.

Society was going through a lot of changes in the late 1960s and the 1970s, and the Queen and her family seemed to deal with it by sticking firmly in the 1950s in their outlook and habits. Margaret, on the other hand, tried to move with the times and didn't seem to be properly equipped to do so after her very rigidly circumscribed upbringing. Then in the 1980s, as the Queen's children married and had children, as as Margaret was displaced as a Counsellor of State, she was written off as a has-been after not really ever having been anything. The royal duties she was doing - which read almost exactly the same as the ones she was doing back in the late 1940s and 1950s - don't seem to have given her a lot of scope either, especially once the Queen's children started taking over some of the duties and patronages and she was relegated to an even lower position in the pecking order.

I always find it terribly sad to read about this part of her life, because you really can see her life unravelling before your eyes. It's such a wicked waste of a lot of potential, and she seemed to shoulder the blame for all of it, when the seeds were sown very early on by other people as well as by her.

Last edited:
I haven't been reading the book, but it sounds interesting.

I have one question that's never been explained. I have read that the Queen Mother's situation in the early years really preoccupied her daughter EII. Beyond the widow's depression and grief, what was the problem? Was the QM unwilling to relinquish the limelight? Was there some other problem?

Depends who you believe, I think. It seems to be pretty well documented that the Queen Mother went through a very rough time when her husband died. Whether that was mostly because of the shock of being widowed relatively young or whether there was a significant element of not wanting to hand over the position at centre stage depends on whose point of view you accept.

Personally (as someone who's never been convinced by all this "the Queen Mother is perfect" stuff), I'm sceptical about whether she was as reluctant to become Queen back in 1936 as all that. I think it's pretty much beyond doubt that George VI was a very reluctant King, but I have my doubts about how far that extended to his wife, who seemed to be such an accomplished performer and such a strong character. So my personal opinion is that Mummie was suffering somewhat from her demotion along with her doubtless severe and genuine devastation at losing her husband (as well as her anger at the Windsors for, as she saw it, causing the loss).

That's what I was getting, reading between the lines. It must have been very difficult for her to cease being the heroine of the British/royal family, especially when she was only 51-years-old. As we know, this particular widow had a lot of life left to her.

Yes, strep throat, term paper and exams are wonderful things :whistling: My mother always knew when I was sick - I couldn't open a book... :ROFLMAO: which is telling in this case.

But I'm reading now. :flowers:

2. Would she have had more scope to fulfill her potential if she hadn't been such a senior royal? If so, would she have had the inner resources to do so?
It's an interesting question - because as I see it, part of the problem is that she was raised as a senior royal (and also quite spoilt, which is repeated ad nauseam.) but by various happenings (the new ruling on the titles of the royal family, p. 86, Prince Charles' birth, etc) she was also pushed further and further down - and the author seems to indicate that this was working against her personality, who needed attention.

4. Was her marriage to Tony Armstrong-Jones doomed from the start, as some people said, or were they just placed under intolerable pressure by the snobs in the Household?

It will be interesting to read the Armstrong-Jones biography, to see how he depicts it.

The household definitely seems to play a big part - perhaps too big a part. Also the story of how Margaret's household didn't want to adapt to having a man there - just breakfast for one, etc. is telling.

The Princess and the photographer, nowadays people wouldn´t be as doubtful about the success of the marriage as they were back then. The engagement was announced to general open mouthed shock as far as I can remember.
A little bit like the Jackie Kennedy - Onassis marriage when it was announced, general disbelief.

If I remember right from reports at the time, as well as what people have said since, many foreign royals boycotted the wedding because they believed that Margaret had married so far beneath herself. It's sort of interesting, in that many of the younger generation of those same families have married people from lower social strata than Tony Armstrong-Jones. How times change. ;)

If I remember right from reports at the time, as well as what people have said since, many foreign royals boycotted the wedding because they believed that Margaret had married so far beneath herself. It's sort of interesting, in that many of the younger generation of those same families have married people from lower social strata than Tony Armstrong-Jones. How times change. ;)
Her "uncle" Charles (Haakon VII of Norway) was, according to reports from Princess Astrid, fairly concerned that his granddaughters would emulate Margaret in terms of going out about town, and getting press for it. :rolleyes:

Of course, later Astrid would marry a divorced man, where Margaret didn't… so it's a bit tied as for the press. :whistling:

This week's discussion covers the last part of the book, Chapters 7 and 8 and the Epilogue, which deal with the 1990s and the 21st century.

Chapter 7: The Nineties
  • The author talks about his own meeting with the Princess and his impressions of her
  • Worsening health problems, leading to her cutting down on activities; concentration on things of genuine interest such as the ballet
  • Discussion of friends and acquaintances, as well as claims from people claiming to be her illegitimate child
  • Her strokes and the accident where she scalded her feet; rehabilitation and partial recovery
Chapter 8: The End
  • Short chapter because she died in 2002
  • Mostly focussed on her declining health and the support of her friends
  • Death, funeral, memorials; reaction in the press at the time and more recently
  • Sale of her belongings at Christie's
Epilogue
  • Summing up of the main point of her life
  • Short discussion about people's perception of her
Some questions to consider

1. The author quoted a friend of the Princess's who said that hers was a life unfulfilled. Do you agree with that perception?
2. Do you think the negative press after her death was a fair assessment of her life and worth?
3. What do you think was the reason for the multiple claims by people that they were her illegitimate children?
4. Her children seem to have more stable married lives than the Queen's children. Does this reflect on the two royal sisters at all?

I believe that most of Princess Margaret´s health problems were caused by her chain smoking. Even after a lung operation she continued smoking.
Then there were her constant migraine headaches. I know exactly how she felt as I suffered terribly from migraine. It can be incapacitating, for me it was about 5 hours of agony but I know that some people have days of it.
When I first went to a neurologist about it he told me there was nothing to be done....so I can imagine at that time she had the same answer. I am talking about some years ago....then of course that terrible accident when she scalded her feet which has never really been explained. After that her health seemed to deteriorate very quickly.
About all the claims about being her illegitimate child, I believe that many people were fascinated about her life and saw her a a romantic figure, the woman who gave up her one true love, especially adopted children or orphans who you can´t blame for having a fantasy "parent" and sometimes they let their imagination run away with them. Recently there has been a case of a man who wants to force the royal family to disclose to him Princess Margaret´s will because he believes she will have owned him as her son in it and probably left him a legacy.
I find this very sad.

I wondered whether this rash of self-proclaimed illegitimate children had to do with Princess Margaret's reputation for having affairs once her marriage had hit the rocks; this seemed to make her fair game in a way that other royals weren't. But I think your explanation about the romantic aspect of her life, as well as the way she gave up Peter Townsend after all those years with apparently nothing to show for it, is a really good explanation.

Considering what a turbulent home life she had with Tony, and their affairs after their split, it seems that they've managed to raise two well-adjusted children who have managed to create happy homes for their own children. According to one (rather bitchy) newspaper article I read a while back, Princess Margaret wasn't slow to point out how much better her children had turned out than her sister's children!

I hope the grandchildren who arrived in the late 1990s helped make her last few years happier. One symptom of strokes is that they can cause depression, and with her independent spirit she must have hated being so physically impaired. The photo in the book, showing her in her wheelchair on her mother's 101st birthday, is just tragic. But the photo on the last page taken by Prue Penn really is stunning.

Not long before Princess Margaret died she gave her beloved home on the island of Moustique to her son and he sold it. At the time it was said that that could be a reason for her depression. It seems the Linleys preferred a home in France. At the time there was a lot of criticism and it seemed a very unfeeling move to make. Perhaps at this time Princess Margaret was, let us say "confused", and that he didn´t think that the selling of the property would or could affect her. At the time I thought it was a terrible thing to do.

I'm sure it didn't help matters. It really does sound like an unfeeling thing to do, and I hope it was actually less unfeeling than it appears to outsiders. The Warwick biography said that Linley used to rent it out for a while before deciding to sell, and that the second time she had a stroke while she was there, she had to move to someone else's house while she was still not well because the tenants were about to arrive. That must have been hard for her.

It was bad enough that her things were sold at Christies in that very public and controversial auction, but at least that happened after her death. Selling her Mustique home during her lifetime does seem to have been very insensitive.

There was a quote from Margaret Rhodes in one of these chapters about how fortunate it was that Margaret wasn't the elder child: "The Almighty gets the right people to be born first. Thank heaven she wasn't the eldest. It would have been disastrous the other way round."

Given how the Almighty arranged for Eddy the Duke of Clarence and David the Duke of Windsor to be born first, I'm a bit dubious about this. But I do wonder how disastrous it would have been. It sounds as though the Queen would have really liked to just be a lady living in the country with lots of horses and dogs, as she said herself at one point; Margaret, with her more outgoing personality and quicker intelligence, might have done quite well as Queen if she'd had the extra education that Elizabeth had had. It's one of those "we'll never know" things, but I got the impression from various quotes that Margaret Rhodes didn't think all that much of Princess Margaret. I suppose the people who knew her as a spoiled and willful child always remembered that part of her even when she was grown up.

I agree that Princess Margaret's pact not to marry was probably done in the heat of the moment. It does show a side that is self-destructive, I suppose, but I can imagine doing that myself! (It probably says the same thing about me.)

It's hard to know if she would have been happier if she'd married Townsend. He had a happy second marriage, I think, so I'm not sure that he was 'not a viable life partner'?

As the youngest child who came after two extremely clever boys I can certainly understand that living in her sister's shadow must have been very difficult for the Princess. It would be pretty rotten to be deliberately deprived of certain classes that Princess Elizabeth attended.

I didn't care for the last part of the book much. I didn't feel that Heald really went into the reasons for the Princess's divorce or her relationship with her children, or even her many illnesses. What do the rest of you think?

I like the Brandreth book too, Elspeth, but I haven't finished it yet. However, I did get a bit angry with certain things that Brandreth said. I don't know if Marie Bonaparte could be called a 'nymphomaniac', for example. However, that's very OT.

I've written this post rather quickly, so it's a bit scattered.

Regards,
Lisa

I think that saying I´ll never marry again is just one of those things that a young woman would say in the throes of being thwarted and not getting what she wanted.
For some reason many people didn´t seem to like Princess Margaret, or at least we can read between the lines that they didn´t. I believe that she was very aware of her royal status and any crossing of the line was haughtily repressed and the perpetrator put right in the place that PM thought they belonged. She had given up Peter Townsend to keep her royal status and so she wasn´t going to let anyone forget it.
I disliked the last part of the Heald book intensely. In fact that is one of the reasons I haven´t got it with me. I just left it at our country house as I thought I wouldn´t want to read it that soon. I am a person who loves my books and when I enjoy one it is read over and over again. This one I kept for reference only and of course, now that we are discussing it, I am sorry.
Perhaps there was a good reason to sell the Mustique house, but Lord Linley was accused of being insensitive and he must have known that his mother didn´t have that long to live and he could have waited. I was very sorry to hear that his mother´s jewellery was sold as well but perhaps it was because of death duties. I didn´t get a very good impression of him from that and later problems he has had haven´t changed my mind. His sister seems to me a very different person. I noticed over the years that she was very often with her aunt, the Queen who seemed to be very fond of her.
I think that Princess Margaret would have made a very good Queen I think she would have revelled in it and done a very good job, in fact I think she was very like her mother. The Queen does a wonderful job but I could never say she revels in it.

I was surprised by the "never marry again" pact and how long she seemed to stick with it. She was around 30 when she married, which was several years after she'd been made aware that marrying Townsend wasn't going to happen. Tim Heald suggested that she pretty much married Tony as a reaction to Townsend's marriage, but Christopher Warwick makes her relationship with Tony seem a bit more normal.

The Heald book, more than the others I've read (although the Warwick book is the only one I've read recently), dwells on the less glamorous and more sleazy aspects of her life, which might be why the later part of it is so unsatisfying. I don't think there was nearly enough about her relationship with her children, since that did seem to be a large part of her life; instead, there seem to be a succession of anecdotes about the Princess and some of her activities and people's impression of her.

I think that in some ways the author's access to her papers hasn't always helped the book. It's interesting to read snippets about what goes into preparing for a royal visit somewhere in England, but they do keep recurring and we aren't learning anything new from them. On one hand, I think it makes the chapters repetitive and tedious, but on the other hand, I think that might be part of the point - to show that a lot of the Princess's life really was repetitive and tedious, and that 50 years after starting her royal duties with all this nit-picking preparation for each outing, it was still going on basically unchanged. Initially it was an interesting look behind the scenes of a royal visit, but as the book went on I was beginning to feel as though I was trapped in a nightmare after so many of these episodes. This book also gave some details about the Princess's senior staff which I hadn't read anywhere else and which I found quite interesting.

For some reason many people didn´t seem to like Princess Margaret, or at least we can read between the lines that they didn´t. I believe that she was very aware of her royal status and any crossing of the line was haughtily repressed and the perpetrator put right in the place that PM thought they belonged. She had given up Peter Townsend to keep her royal status and so she wasn´t going to let anyone forget it.

I don't know whether I agree entirely with that, Menarue. I got the impression that Townsend was the one who really didn't want to get married when he knew that the Princess would have to give up her royal status and money from the Civil List.

She was inconsistent about demanding to be treated like royalty, according to the book. Sometimes she even acted like 'one of the girls' apparently, and she hated the couple who kept curtsying and bowing to her in Australia.

Best,
Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
You are probably right Att.Grace, just the thought of taking on a spoilt royal princess and trying to keep her in the way she was accustomed without the royal money behind her must have scared the wits out of him.
I am not surprised that sometimes Princess Margaret dropped her royal haughtiness and wanted to be treated as one of the girls. When I was young I had a royal princess friend, we had a group of friends and there was nothing she liked more than to help in the kitchen, and if someone became too formal she would complain ----- then very soon after, it could have been even the day after, she would make it plain who was royal and put us in our little commoner places with what we called the Queen Victoria look, like all of us, royals too can have mood swings.

How wonderful! It would be so interesting to have a royal princess friend.

It must be very difficult to be royal. Princess Mary seems to be coping with it amazingly well, so far. As an Australian, I can imagine to some extent just how much her life has changed.

Best,
Lisa

It was probably particularly difficult for Princess Margaret, because unlike the rest of her immediate family, she seemed to want to move with the times, and the times were becoming distinctly more informal and less deferential. Not that that excuses inconsistent behaviour, but it can't have been an easy balance to strike.

It seems to me that for Princess Margaret, the whole "heir and spare" thing had more contrast than for either Prince Andrew or Prince Harry - she was the "spare," and once Princess Elizabeth had produced her own heir and spare, she pretty much became the "spare part"; not much thought was given to her future other than to assume she'd get married to some Duke or other. And when you think about her interests and her rejection of the dogs-and-horses country-life lifestyle, it's hard to see her settling down with any of these owners of vast country estates whose main interest in life was hunting and fishing and who seemed to loathe London and the 20th century.

Princess Margaret was definitely a town person, I can´t imagine her on a huge estate with hundreds of dogs running round her. She loved the city life but she also loved the Caribbean and the more relaxed atmosphere there. There is one photo of her in front of her beach house surrounded by her friends, mainly young men, looking very glamorous and seemingly holding court. It was much more relaxed there but I think that there was no doubt at any time that she was a royal princess and everyone had to remember it.
She was also interested in the arts. I really can´t remember ever hearing of her doing much horse-riding as an adult. In fact she was very different from her sister, I think she was very like her mother. Her mother was supposed to smoke, drink, never did any exercise or dieted - but she was obviously of more robust health than Princess Margaret considering her longevity. Something I can´t understand is how PM after her lung operation went back to smoking.
I suppose you can´t say she had a sad life, she did what she wanted most of the time, she was beautiful and talented, it is sad that she never reached her full potential. I would have like to see her presiding over a court in a European country but at that time I don´t think there were any heirs to thrones near to her age. Perhaps there were but I can´t think of any.

Back then they were all taught that way.
Remember these were minor royals and girls too.
They just did it that way,
It only changed with the queens children,
On the insistance of the Prince phillip.

Back
Top Bottom