How many Royal books do you own?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the thorough biography "ELIZABETH THE QUEEN" by Sally Bedell Smith :)

I still have lots of royal books to sell. My house is full.

I've lost count on how many I have. I saw a meme the other day that describes me perfectly. "I told my husband all my books fit into a box. He told me I have to quit calling our home a box." :D

I do collection. I have a lot of books and magazines about royalty.

Last edited:
Too many Royal books and magazines to count..in both French and English...a few ordered online, collectors editions from as far back as 1960.

For example i ordered the Paris Match and Point de Vue original Dec 1960 editions that covered the wedding of Baudouin and Fabiola!:flowers:

I have about 27. I will have 2 more by July 16. I had more before Hurricane Sandy.

I also get books, memoirs and diaries and bios of "big beast" British politicians and other prominent British personages.

I love to concurrently read two autobiographies about the same milieu. For instance, the autobiographies of Katharine Graham and Ben Bradlee. You get the big picture. If you're not American, KG and BB both were at the Washington Post during Watergate.

I just ordered Alan Duncan's diary book. A former MP who served 27 years and was in government. He has other personal qualities that make his book a humdinger. It overlaps timeline-wise with a few of the BRF books recently discussed here.

Last edited:
I have 70ish books, but I stopped buying about ten years ago, started borrowing from the library instead. I didn't want to get to the point where my books owned me instead of me owning them :)

I have about 110 books on royalty, both on Kindle and in print, collected over many years. Mainly they are books on the BRF, from medieval England to the 19th century, and right down to today’s royals.

However there are also books on European royalty, especially in the 19th century, which is my sphere of interest, with quite a few books on the Romanovs. I did have piles of magazines about royals such as ‘Majesty’, but there was too much clutter so sadly they had to go.

As a book lover, like others here I have had to restrain myself from buying any more (I love British and US biographies and Golden Age detective fiction as well) as all my bookcases are full, but continue on Kindle.

Last edited:
I have about 110 books on royalty, both on Kindle and in print, collected over many years. Mainly they are books on the BRF, from medieval England to the 19th century, and right down to today’s royals.

However there are also books on European royalty, especially in the 19th century, which is my sphere of interest, with quite a few books on the Romanovs. I did have piles of magazines about royals such as ‘Majesty’, but there was too much clutter so sadly they had to go.

As a book lover, like others here I have had to restrain myself from buying any more (I love British and US biographies and Golden Age detective fiction as well) as all my bookcases are full, but continue on Kindle.

Regarding that Golden Age, did you catch Quentin Letts in The Times last Friday? He spiced up his Sketch column with some classic Raymond Chandler. It seemed to have gone unnoticed, but he penned a superb article with so many high points that one would go dizzy choosing the most amusing bit.

No I didn’t but I can imagine some sizzling prose! Raymond Chandler wrote some very complex stories and novels but I have to confess I’m more into British authors of GAD than the more hard-boiled stuff.

I own probably between 150-200 books on Royalty. Lots of British but other dynasties as well. My particular interest are the Plantagenets and the Wars of the Roses era and I have both fiction and non-fiction from that era. Eventually I will have to get rid of them but for now, the collection keeps growing.

I too had every issue of Majesty magazine at one point but had to purge those but I still have some old edition keepsakes from George VI and George V eras.

How many?? Never enough!

Most on the Dutch and the Romanovs,some Austrian,some French and some British,but all in all several hundred,does that count?

I have thousands of books, few about royalty, but one thing I do have and know not why or how, is a beautiful untouched set of Duke and Duchess of Windsor paper dolls!

I will happily send them, free of charge, to anyone who would like to have them, as long as they’re mailed to a US address.

I found an old book I got as gift years ago and had forgotten about it

The King's letters by Robert Steel Vol II (1904)

It catalogues letters from the reigns of Henry VII and Henry VIII.

How many Royal books do you own?

A lot, plus this one I got for my kindle after listening to in in YouTube:

The Ancient City: A Study of the Religion, Laws, and Institutions of Greece and Rome (Illustrated)

5121l3ovTZL.jpg

The book is extremely detailed on every single aspect of life in ancient Greece and Rome that was known in the 19th century. A must for anyone that likes to read or learn about this period of time. And you can also listen to it for free at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPCGA67J8M2JVoH7M4ayFTRDuLteRhL0p

or

The Ancient City 00 | Series Introductio

Last edited:
I have biographies on the following Royals :

England
The Queen Mother
Princess Margaret
Prince Philip
Princess Alice
Lord Mountbatten
Queen Victoria
Charles I
Henrietta-Marie of France
Henry VIII
Catherine Parr
Catherine of Aragon
Mary I
Elizabeth I
Elizabeth of York
Elizabeth Woodville
Margaret of Anjou
Richard the Lionheart
Berengaria of Navarre
Henry II
Eleanor of Aquitaine
Isabelle of France (the She Wolf)

Scotland
Mary Queen of Scots
Marie de Guise
James V

France

Louis XVI
Marie Antoinette
Louis XIV
Anne of Austria
Henri IV
Jeanne d'Albret
Catherine de Médicis
Louise de Savoie
François I
Blanche de Castile

Spain
Juan Carlos I
Philip II
Isabella I

Hapsburg
Charles V
Mary of Hungary
Margaret of Austria

Romanovs
Tsar Nicholas II
Grand Duchess Xenia
Grand Duchess Elizabeth
Catherine the Great

1 The Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt by Thames & Hudson.
2 House of Thurn Und Taxis by Princess Mariae Gloria Thurn und Taxis and Todd Eberle,
3 Ira, The Life of a Princess by HSH Princess Ira von Furstenberg & Nicholas Foulkes,
4 Triumph and Tragedy, The Rise and Fall of Rome's Immortal Emperors by Alexander Canduci.
5 Magnificence and Grandeur of the Royal Houses of Europe by Grimaldi Forum.
6 Les Maisons Royales et Souveraines D'Europe by Christian Cannuyer.
They are not cheap but will increase in value, most of all it is worth having it.

When I moved house nearly three years ago, I decided to let go of my Majesty magazines which I had collected from the start, and most were in binders. The sad thing was, despite advertising them in a couple of places, no one wanted them and in the end I gave them to the one charity shop that would take them. I imagine they were eventually recycled .
I used to own a lot of British Royal Family books and souvenir guides. I have gradually dwindled these down. The one collection I enjoy owning is biographies/ magazines etc. on the Monaco Royals- particularly Grace. I think I have accumulated about 70 books and magazines over the years ( maybe more). I regularly dip into them. I an fortunate to be able to go to Monaco once a year which has enabled me to seek out titles that aren’t always generally available. Most are in English or are sufficiently littered with photos that I can enjoy them. It’s a bit of a passion of mine. I liked the comment further up this thread about stopping buying books to prevent them from owning you - sadly, I think that’s what has happened to me !

My royal books,
*The secret royal love letters
*Letters of Queen Victoria
*The abdication of Edward VIII
*The heart has it's reasons
*Kensington Palace I the days of Queen Mary
*The life of King George the fifth
*Personal life of Queen Victoria
*A kings story ( The memories of HRH Duke of Windsor
*Wallis and Edward letters 1931 - 1937
*Min Ari (book about Ari Behn, written by his mum)

Sad that the Rosvall books are so expensive. I have only one...

When I moved house nearly three years ago, I decided to let go of my Majesty magazines which I had collected from the start, and most were in binders. The sad thing was, despite advertising them in a couple of places, no one wanted them and in the end I gave them to the one charity shop that would take them. I imagine they were eventually recycled .
I used to own a lot of British Royal Family books and souvenir guides. I have gradually dwindled these down. The one collection I enjoy owning is biographies/ magazines etc. on the Monaco Royals- particularly Grace. I think I have accumulated about 70 books and magazines over the years ( maybe more). I regularly dip into them. I an fortunate to be able to go to Monaco once a year which has enabled me to seek out titles that aren’t always generally available. Most are in English or are sufficiently littered with photos that I can enjoy them. It’s a bit of a passion of mine. I liked the comment further up this thread about stopping buying books to prevent them from owning you - sadly, I think that’s what has happened to me !
I have mine stored in several plastic containers under the stairs ,I haven't bough Majesty since March 2020 as it stopped arriving across the Irish Sea during Covid times!

Talking about books, I have been searching for Crownprince Frederik's book, under the beam ( under bjælken), preferably in English, but can't find it. Maybe someone in here know where I get hold of on copy. Thanks!

Half a dozen on William III and Mary II (I live near where William landed in the UK).

Quite a few about the English Civil War.

A couple of books about the 17th century Spanish Monarchs.

Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert Massie, a coffee table book of photographs of the Romanovs and a biography of Peter The Great by Robert Massie (the latter I haven't had a chance to read yet)

And a few others dotted around, plus quite a bit of historical fiction.

Back
Top Bottom