Greek Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jo

Aristocracy
City
Somewhere
Country
United States
Anyone know of any books on the greek royal family that are in english and not out of print?

Books on Greek Royal Family

Jo said:
Anyone know of any books on the greek royal family that are in english and not out of print?

Yes there is one by John Van Der Kiste called "The Kings of the Heleens" which was a good read. It is not that indepth but it covers all the Kings and is easy to read, and I would recomend it as an introduction to the Greek Royal Family to wet your apitite. "Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece" by Hugh Vickers is also still in print. Both are available from Amazon etal.

Dont be put off by books being out of print. I recomend using http://abebooks.co.uk - second hand book shops around the world list the books they have on there so it is an excelent resource for any second hand books you may want. have found the biographies of King Paul and Queen Frederica on there, both reasonably priced. The "as new" condition books are naturaly more expensive but i found several copies for sale of both books at low prices and both still in good condition. The webpage details the book and i have always found their condition description acurate when i received the books. The webpage customer support is also very helpfull if you do hit any problems.

I have also purchased other books from the site, Including one written by Air Vice Marshall Arthur Gould-Lee (i think that was his name, i dont have it to hand to check) who was in Greece during the second world war and gives a very interesting account of the families lives during this time. Prince Christopher's autobiography is also a good read if you can find it.

Okay thanks you guys! :)

You could also look out for "The Royal House of Greece" by Prince Michael of Greece and Alan Palmer (Weidenfeld & Nicolson 1990). This was produced by Prince Michael for King Constantine's 50th birthday. Lots of family pics, but not enough tiaras.

Queen Friederike of Greece wrote the book: Erfahrungen, ISBN 3 8052 0201 6.
In English its name is A Measure of Understanding.

Not very interesting, but readable.

I just read Hugh Vickers' book about Princess Alice, and must say that I really recommend it. It was a fascinating read about a royal I didn't know very much about beforehand, and the author tells the story well, in my opinion.

What about the current royal family?

norwegianne said:
I just read Hugh Vickers' book about Princess Alice, and must say that I really recommend it. It was a fascinating read about a royal I didn't know very much about beforehand, and the author tells the story well, in my opinion.
I'm currently reading this one and I'm very much enjoying it; it's clearly well-researched and well-written. I don't think I've seen a bad review of it! :)

Books on Greek Royals

Someone asked me if there are any biographies of any of the Greek royals, and I told that person I'd ask around, so, any that any of y'all know of? I know Queen Sofia would have some, and Princess Marina has at least one. Any other royals?

Thanks

By biography, do you mean a book or articles on their lives?

Here are some:

John van der Kiste: Kings of the Hellenes: The Greek Kings 1863-1974. (1994).
Hugo Vickers: Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece. (2003, paperback).
Kunst- und Kulturkreis rastede: Amalia 1818-1875, Herzogin von Oldenburg, Königin von Griechenland. (2004, in German).
Königin Friederike: Erfahrungen. (1976, in German, there might be editions in other languages).

There is a Danish book called "Anne-Marie, Dronning Uden Rige" (Anne-Marie, queen without a realm), which was written by Sara Blædel and published in 2000.

Thanks, y'all. I passed those books on to that person.

Here are some other ones:
A Measure of Understanding by Queen Frederica of the Hellenes
A Romanov Diary by Princess Marie of Greece, Grand Duchess George of Russia
Constantine I by Demetra Vaka
Elleniki Dinasteia by Prince Michael of Greece
For a King's Love by Princess Alexandra of Greece, Queen of Yugoslavia
Frederica, Queen of the Hellenes: Mission of a Modern Queen by Lilian Papanicolaou
Helen, Queen Mother of Roumania, Princess of Greece and Denmark: An Authorized Biography by Arthur Stanley Gould Lee
King George of Greece by Walter Christmas
Marie Bonaparte: A Life by Celia Bertin
Memoires Insolites by Prince Michael of Greece
Memoirs by Prince Christopher of Greece
My Fifty Years
by Prince Nicholas of Greece (new edition ed. by Arturo Beéche)
No Ordinary Crown by Stelio Hourmouzios
Otho I, King of Greece by Leonard Bower & Bolitho Gordon
Princess Marina: Her Life and Times by Stella King
The Royal House of Greece by Arthur Stanley Gould Lee
The Royal House of Greece by Prince Michael of Greece & Alan Palmer

Benjamin,
You mention the book about Queen Frederica, is it good?

I have heard that she was a challenge to deal with and I wondered if it was true. Since I live in the States, I doubt that I will ever see the book or one about her! Does John Van Der Kiste cover her in any great detail in his book?

Thanks for your help.
Tenngirl

Tenngirl,
I have Frederica's autobiography...it was okay, as far as I remember. Her religious beliefs were rather far-fetched (and make for boring reading :lol:), but on the whole I liked her book. She discusses her family, time in Greece and in exile, etc.

I haven't read the one by Papanicolaou.

Van der Kiste very briefly mentions her in his book on the Kings of the Hellenes.

I live in the States too, it is very easy to get Frederica's book. You can use www.addall.com/used.

kelly9480 said:
Someone asked me if there are any biographies of any of the Greek royals, and I told that person I'd ask around, so, any that any of y'all know of? I know Queen Sofia would have some, and Princess Marina has at least one. Any other royals?

Thanks
Please feel free to browse the official web site of the Greek Royal Family > http://www.greekroyalfamily.org/

I live in the States too, it is very easy to get Frederica's book. You can use www.addall.com/used.[/quote]

Thanks Benjamin! I will have to check out the link!

Tenngirl

Princess Irene is the sister of Queen Sofía of Spain and King Constantine of Greece.

http://www.evacelada.com/images/irene-portada.jpg

Title: Irene de Grecia, la princesa Rebelde
Author: Eva Celada
Editor: PLAZA & JANÉS / Spain
ISBN: 978-84-01-30545-0
Price: 19,5 €
Facts about the author:
http://www.evacelada.com/

The Royal Greek dynasty
Author: Greece, Prince Michael of

van Hoogstraten Online Shop

http://62.15.226.148/fot/2006/12/04/3913935.jpg

Título: “No Ordinary Crown”
Autor: Stelio Hourmouzios
Es una biografía sobre el Rey Paul (Pavlos), padre de la Reina Sofía.
Publisher: Weidenfeld & N
24 Feb 1972

"La familia de la reina Sofía"
Author: Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano
Publisher: La Esfera, Spain

This book is about the greek royal family of the past.

"Memorias"
Author: reina Federica de Grecia
Publisher: La Esfera, Spain
This book is the official biography of Queen Frederika (“Federica” in spanish) of Greece. She wrote it.

Kings of the Hellenes: The Greek Kings 1863-1974
by JOHN VAN DER KISTE
Publisher: Sutton Publishing;
New Ed edition (June 25, 1994)
English

ISBN: 978-0750921473

I recommend this book:

“The Last Kaiser: The Life of Wilhelm II”
by Giles MacDonogh
Amazon.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you if "The Hellenic Dynasty" and "The Royal House of Greece" (both written by Prince Michael of Greece) are the same books?

And do you know if there is any biography about Queen Anne Marie?

Regards and thanks!!

Princess Marina + Princess Olga

Does anybody know of a book or article which covers the time these two sisters spent in Paris before marrying the Duke of Kent and Prince Paul of Yugoslavia? Many thanks.

Another book:
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/nr01/2010/12/la-famille-royale-grecque-au-cours-de-lhistoire/

http://www.fereniki.com/book.php?bookid=89
sinopsis :
Richly documented work of photographs of the royal family of Greece. The many files come from the particular collection of Mr. Anastasiou Kadda. The photographs recall the various important moments of the life of the greek royal family, the photographs taken at the time of family events and also makes it possible to re-examine the beautiful diadems and jewels of the Greek family.
editorial fereniki of Greece

Apparently it may be translated into English. That awful snob Taki (friend of the king) wrote about it in the 'Spectator':

The memories remain. The only good thing about austerity is that no old buildings have been knocked down. Things have just got grubbier. During the concerts I sat with the Greek royal family, including King Constantine’s sister, Queen Sofia of Spain. The King has written his memoirs, or how things really were, finally telling his side of the story. Excerpts from the book tripled the circulation of the newspapers that carried them. The book is being translated into English and here is my proposal: King Constantine has agreed that I find him an English and American publisher. No one has a more interesting story to tell. King at 24 and married to the most beautiful princess in Europe, a coup-maker against the colonels on 13 December 1967, exiled after its failure, yet denied by opportunistic and lying politician his role as the first man to stand up to the military. And what a life he’s had despite that major setback. As a young crown prince he stayed with Eisenhower and de Gaulle, saw the Kennedys and LBJ up close, and knew every mover and shaker of his day, as they say. In the Rome Olympics in 1960 he won an Olympic gold medal in sailing.

Posted less than 20% of the article due to copyright regulations. Read the entire article here.

Back
Top Bottom