German & Austrian Royalty and Nobility

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only thought about todays crownprincesses from abroad....
But maybe you are right, and he is talking about Queen Sofia or, another possiblity, Queen Paola. Everyone knows that her marriage to Albert was in trouble many years ago, and she was kind of a crownprincess, too.

IMO, the whole book is rubbish, BILD is the kind of rag which won't publish something from a respectable book :bang:

Rubbish? Oh no, it is a brilliant parody, a very funny read. Had to laugh so and so often. This guy certainly knows how to wrap and sell his information. View it as good comedy and you'll have plenty of fun :D

For those who understand German, BILD/ Alexander Schönburg made a small quiz, look here. In the picture he looks a lot like his nephew Albrecht TuT btw.

Coats of Arms and Titles of the aristocracy of Germanic middle Europe

I don't know If this Is the right place to put this.

I am looking for books or websites on Coats of Arms and Titles of the aristocracy of Germanic middle Europe, mainly for the 19th century onward.
Any help Is appreciated.

I may be wrong but I believe the story is just a re-tell of an old legend about Queen Sofia (then Princess Sofia). It was speculated that when her children were still very young (Felipe was, if I remember correctly, about 4 or 5), she wanted to walk out of the marriage with Juan Carlos. So she presumably took the children to return to Greece but was stopped by the security guards in the airport, who made it clear that while she was free to go wherever she wanted, her children would not go with her.

I will try to find the book I've read this in, although I'm under the impression it was repeated in more then one place.

Not that I ever believed this rumour myself, I just wanted to clarify the mistery of the airport princess.

Sorry, but I find this story simply stupid.

When Felipe was 4 or 5 years old (1972/1973) the Greek Royal Family was in the exile.

Regards!

quote Pumpkin ..... Elisabeth. Kaiserin wider Willen by Brigitte Hamann" if you speak German. It's about 600 pages,.... end quote

600 pages about Eliz of Austria... sounds
wonderful to me.... wish there was an English
translation !

Perhaps she wanted to go to London then:flowers:

Sorry, but I find this story simply stupid.

When Felipe was 4 or 5 years old (1972/1973) the Greek Royal Family was in the exile.

Regards!

Do you know any book about the Imperial Palaces of Austria?

Regards!

Books - Revolution, Monarchist Movements

Can anyone recommend books (English preferred, but I will try to struggle through some German) on the Revolution in the various German states, the lives of the royals after the revolution, and post-revolution monarchist movements in Germany and Austria? Thank you.

For Espejor, I recommend you the following book:

Title: The Palaces of Prague
by Zdenek Hojda (Author), Lubomir Porizka (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Palaces-Prague-Zdenek-Hojda/dp/1860640052/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255053711&sr=8-15

"The Coburg Conspiracy: Royal Plots and Manoeuvres" by Richard Sotnik 2010

The Coburg Conspiracy: Royal Plots and Manoeuvres by Richard Sotnick tells the story about the forebears of England's royal family -- the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family. The cast of characters revealed in the book were like those characters in a modern Soap. It tells about the Coburg's Duchess Luise, Prince Albert's mother who was exiled for life and forebidden to see her children again; cold unfaithful husbands, as well as scheming stepmothers and even a James Hewitt of that time. Duchess Luise can be likened to Princess Diana of her age.

The book was written with great research into a legacy of dysfunction and treachery that may still persist today. It's a history and detective story-in-one.

This is the first time I've heard about this book and the author. Is it really based on facts from the author's research?

The book will be released on 24 May 2010.

"The Coburg Conspiracy: Victoria and Albert - Royal Plots and Manoeuvres"

-> homepage
-> book cover

Last edited:
This is the first time I've heard about this book and the author. Is it really based on facts from the author's research?

At one time, Richard Sotnick spoke at Hatchards. The author taught himself German in order to study firsthand some of the family documents that were mostly written in original German. The book is a good read especially for the detective in us. It's like trying to piece together clues. So, it's a great book especially for those not yet very familiar with the Coburg family.

At one time, Richard Sotnick spoke at Hatchards. The author taught himself German in order to study firsthand some of the family documents that were mostly written in original German. The book is a good read especially for the detective in us. It's like trying to piece together clues. So, it's a great book especially for those not yet very familiar with the Coburg family.

That's great! I checked the hyperlink from your signature and saw that I can download the first chapter of the book. I've just downloaded it and get back to you when I finish reading it. Based on the first few paragraphs, I think it's an easy read. ;)

The book will be released on 24 May 2010.

"The Coburg Conspiracy: Victoria and Albert - Royal Plots and Manoeuvres"

-> homepage
-> book cover

Thanks for the links Warren:)

That's great! I checked the hyperlink from your signature and saw that I can download the first chapter of the book. I've just downloaded it and get back to you when I finish reading it. Based on the first few paragraphs, I think it's an easy read. ;)QUOTE]

You're welcome callista. So how's the first chapter?

It's an easy read. I find it very helpful especially for the non-historian and those not very familiar with how the Coburgs rose to power in the 19th century. Thanks for sharing the author's blogsite. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome callista. It really is an easy to read book given the difficulty of tracing royal genealogy.

Did anyone know this book?

Title: The Red Prince: The Secret Lives of A Habsburg Archduke
Author: Timothy Snyder
Publication: 2008

It's about Archduke Wilhelm von Habsburg (1896-1948) son of Charles Stephen of Austria and Maria Theresia of Austria-Tuscany.

Is it worth to buy or no?

Recommend a good book

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could give me some good advice? I'm looking for a book that would cover 18th and 19th century German nobility - particually just the ruling families. Something that gives me a bit of background on each one (pictures would be a bonus - though I know of course that photography wasn't much used before 1850 - but there were paintings)

I know that Burkes Peerage might be useful - but it's frightfully expensive. I have sourced some of the "Who's who's" from the 1870's which give some insight - but those really only cover the ruler of the territory and give very little on his family.

Any pointers appreciated - thanks :)

"Hessian Tapestry" by David Duff

I remember seeing a book by this title in my local library a few years ago. Now I have more time to read it , the book has been removed from the shelves.
It was, I remember about Princess Louise of Hess Damstart, a Granddaughter ? of Queen Victoria.
Can anyone with more knowledge of European Royalty provide me with any information about this Princess ?
I do not want to use Wiki as I do not always find the information provided reliable.
Many thanks :flowers:

There wasn't any Luise von Hessen und Rhine that was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria...

Although,every one of her Hessen granddaughters had name Louise(Luise) as one of their names...

Back
Top Bottom