Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, the book is rather poorly written, especially the first two chapters. It's as if they didn't have an editor. I'm happy for Omid Scobie that the book is a best seller, but it is selling purely because of the worldwide interest in the Sussexes and in the ongoing British royal family dramas. Omid is a decent writer, so maybe some of the chapters which read better had more input from him. It's hard to tell.

Probably, once the Sussexes stepped away from royal duties, the publishers got nervous about the authors taking their time writing the book. I heard that Carolyn Durand had approached Omid in 2018 sometime after the royal wedding. She knew that Omid has insider Sussex sources, while she has some insider palace sources and she's a bit more conservative. So together, they made a good combination to write a book about the newly minted Sussexes. Initially, it was expected to be a general biography documenting the Sussexes' love story and their life together as senior royals. Clearly, the focus changed as unexpected developments began to occur.

In the beginning, the authors apparently weren't trying to rush things since they'd been doing research and working on the book for nearly two years. That obviously all changed after the Sussexit departure from the royal firm in January. Most likely, the publishers put pressure on Durand and Omid to simply give them what they had. Seemingly the publishers were worried about marketing the book long term amidst the uncertainties of the Sussexes' situation, especially when the pandemic also hit. As a result, in my view, the opening chapters seem thrown together with no narrative through line. Passages begin with one thought and then go off on tangents with run-on sentences. I seriously was getting whiplash trying read those first chapters. The third and fourth chapters read a bit better because the narrative finally begins to focus on M&H's actual love story (their first dates and courtship, etc), providing readers with previously unrevealed intimate details.

Another problem I have with the book is the way the roll-out happened with media excerpts which diluted any possible enjoyment of reading the book itself. I didn't read any of the excerpts, but there was no way I could avoid hearing reported details, since I follow news about the Sussexes online.

In my opinion, the publishers should have been more patient and allowed the writers more time to do a better job. I didn't have any expectations that the book was going to be anything more than the usual popular biography. But it is unfortunately rather disjointed and poorly written overall. They should have focused more exclusively on the Meghan and Harry love story and on the trajectory of their lives and personalities. I could have done without the insistence on trying to make excuses for different individuals and entities surrounding the whole gossipy tabloid drama. We aren't getting the truth about much of that anyway. And attempting to tell different versions from different palace sources while framing excuses, just doesn't work for me. In the long run, who Harry and Meghan are as individuals and as a couple I feel is far more interesting, thought-provoking and substantive.

But yeah, these type of popular biographies are usually heavy on the salacious gossip details, which are of the moment, conflicting and unresolved, exhausting, and ultimately provide less insight into the larger themes of what matters in the lives of the famous individual or couple who are being written about. As a writer, if you feel the need to bend over backward telling different versions of this side and that side without being able to tell the actual truth, then I think it's best to focus on substantive details and weightier themes that if well-researched and well-crafted can be more engaging, revealing and entertaining.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the sales of the book are going?

Does anyone know, have Harry and/or Meghan been interviewed or even asked for comment about this book? I haven't followed this thread consistently so I apologize if this has already been covered here.

It would be interesting to know if either one of them have actually read this book.

A representative of the Sussexes released a statement after excerpts began to appear in the media. The statement essentially indicated that the Sussexes did not contribute to the book nor review any drafts or final product prior to publication. There had been earlier reports from Omid I believe that the Sussexes did not authorize the biography, but they did allow their close friends to speak with the authors. So the book is largely based on the authors' research and interviews, coupled with their knowledge and experience as British royal reporters over the years.

I doubt that M&H have sat down and read the book, since they are the subjects of the book and they lived through what actually happened and thus probably aren't interested in viewing third hand media constructions. Their friends and representatives possibly have perused the book and discussed it with them briefly. But I doubt it is much of a heavy focus for the Sussexes. Meghan and Harry are clearly moving forward with forging a productive and happy life together with Archie in their new home.

I believe M&H have respect for Durand's and Scobie's professionalism and surely trusted the authors' intended fair-minded approach to writing the book, no matter how the final product has been received and perceived by the public.

Does anyone know how the sales of the book are going?

I heard that the book topped the U.K. Amazon best seller list. And it also reached #1 in the U.S. But I don't know where the book currently stands on these lists. Since the book is known to contain intimate details provided to the authors by close friends of the Sussexes, it would be the nearest thing to having some specific accounts from the horses' mouths, I suppose. ;)

See my previous thoughts for what I think overall about the book. It will likely continue to sell fairly well for the publishers. And I'm happy for Omid Scobie having this success. If he ever writes another book, I hope he learned from his experiences writing this one, and that he will hopefully take more time to produce a better written product. I'm not referencing Durand a lot, because I don't know that much about her. Omid is the one doing the vast majority of promotion for the book.

The presentation of the book itself is quite good. I love the front and back cover photographs. And they came up with a pretty good title. The inside color photograph section is good and probably based on what they were able to get permission to use. I would have liked to see more unexpected photos that aren't readily available on the Internet. Every photo in the book, I've already seen before. (The authors have practically nothing to do with the printing and publishing, nor with the selection of photographs).

I heard that the book topped the U.K. Amazon best seller list. And it also reached #1 in the U.S. But I don't know where the book currently stands on these lists. Since the book is known to contain intimate details provided to the authors by close friends of the Sussexes, it would be the nearest thing to having some specific accounts from the horses' mouths, I suppose. ;)

See my previous thoughts for what I think overall about the book. It will likely continue to sell fairly well for the publishers. And I'm happy for Omid Scobie having this success. If he ever writes another book, I hope he learned from his experiences writing this one, and that he will hopefully take more time to produce a better written product. I'm not referencing Durand a lot, because I don't know that much about her. Omid is the one doing the vast majority of promotion for the book.

The presentation of the book itself is quite good. I love the front and back cover photographs. And they came up with a pretty good title. The inside color photograph section is good and probably based on what they were able to get permission to use. I would have liked to see more unexpected photos that aren't readily available on the Internet. Every photo in the book, I've already seen before. (The authors have practically nothing to do with the printing and publishing, nor with the selection of photographs).

Well it is number on in European Royal books but 43 otherwise. That is on Amazon. It's a.one hit wonder book. As in sells big when it comes out and then nothing.

It's too early to tell how the book will fare in sales long term. It's normal for the huge interest and anticipation to help such a book top best seller lists and then wane a bit. Plus all the media excerpts led to a feeding frenzy in the first weeks of publication.

After that, if such a book of this genre isn't well-written and there's nothing really substantial or groundbreaking in its contents, a lag or falling off in sales is to be expected. For me, the subjects' real lives are vastly more interesting than the book in any case. At least the book has provided accounts of some aspects of the Sussexes' courtship and their senior royal tenure that are generally fair-minded, compared to the tabloid nonsense that's spewed daily.

Books that are rushed out to make the most money in a short period of time are what they are. Sadly, this type of situation is a huge aspect of what keeps the publishing industry alive at the moment.

Last edited:
Does anyone know, have Harry and/or Meghan been interviewed or even asked for comment about this book? I haven't followed this thread consistently so I apologize if this has already been covered here.

It would be interesting to know if either one of them have actually read this book.
From the author's note (link to image of the author's note):
We have spoken with close friends of Harry and Meghan, royal aides and palace staff (past and present), the charities and organisations they have built long-lasting relationships with and, when appropriate, the couple themselves.

From an article on bbc.com (link):

A statement [from a spokesman for the Sussexes] said: "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were not interviewed and did not contribute to Finding Freedom.
"This book is based on the authors' own experiences as members of the royal press corps and their own independent reporting."

The bbc linked statement was issued before the book became widely available. I am pretty sure that the Sussexes have been asked to comment but are choosing not to.

In an interview, Omid Scobie discussed the incident involving Meghan trying to get access to her wedding tiara, Harry intervened by going straight to The Queen. Harry issued a statement basically disputing that he had an angry demeanor when he discussed the matter with The Queen.

ETA:
correction to the above, Harry did not issue a statement about the tiara, it was reported as a source close to Prince Harry.

Last edited:
From the author's note (link to image of the author's note):
We have spoken with close friends of Harry and Meghan, royal aides and palace staff (past and present), the charities and organisations they have built long-lasting relationships with and, when appropriate, the couple themselves.

From an article on bbc.com (link):

A statement [from a spokesman for the Sussexes] said: "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were not interviewed and did not contribute to Finding Freedom.
"This book is based on the authors' own experiences as members of the royal press corps and their own independent reporting."

The bbc linked statement was issued before the book became widely available. I am pretty sure that the Sussexes have been asked to comment but are choosing not to.

In an interview, Omid Scobie discussed the incident involving Meghan trying to get access to her wedding tiara, Harry intervened by going straight to The Queen. Harry issued a statement basically disputing that he had an angry demeanor when he discussed the matter with The Queen.

From the start the authors have refused to flat out deny that they talked to the couple - because they DID indeed talk to them as they admit themselves in the book; although apparently not as a 'formal interview for the book'.

I think that Catherine didn't take to Meghan and probably vice versa. In spite of Harry's eagerly saying that she had met W and Cat and they all loved her... I think she was just wary of Meg and didn't find her congenial.. and didn't want to go shoppign with her.. Problaby felt too that M seemed super confident so she didn't need/want any advice on how to be a royal....

Agreed. If it had been me, I would have been burning up Catherine's phone with questions. She would have probably changed her number :lol:

:previous:

I beg to differ. Omid Scobie is a professional, fair-minded journalist, and a royalist to boot. He's nobody's mouthpiece, but his own. He's done a great job of being as diplomatic as possible in his reporting and writing, which frankly earns him my complete respect, regardless of my criticisms about the book, which I feel are mainly due to the publishers' demands and requirements.

:previous:

I beg to differ. Omid Scobie is a professional, fair-minded journalist, and a royalist to boot. He's nobody's mouthpiece, but his own. He's done a great job of being as diplomatic as possible in his reporting and writing, which frankly earns him my complete respect, regardless of my criticisms about the book, which I feel are mainly due to the publishers' demands and requirements.

Fair minded journalist?! Great job being diplomatic?! Lmfao have you heard his interviews lately? And his podcast and read thru his twitter. He is the complete opposite of everything you describe him to be and he is not respected by anyone except the susssex squad. He is most definetly a mouthpiece of Meghan. Only the Sussex fans say he’s reliable because he kisses Meghan’s rear end.

I think poor auld Omid is on the way out of royal reporting. But I am sure their are other gigs.

Agreed. If it had been me, I would have been burning up Catherine's phone with questions. She would have probably changed her number :lol:

I think Kate probably expected Meghan to be a bit like her. But she really wasn't. And she had her own family, babies, a husband and a job to be getting on with.

Omid Scobie thinks that The Queen reading a speech about voting, written by one of her own governments, is comparable to remarks made by the Duchess of Sussex.

Total lack of understanding of basic constitutional matters.

I think that Catherine didn't take to Meghan and probably vice versa. In spite of Harry's eagerly saying that she had met W and Cat and they all loved her... I think she was just wary of Meg and didn't find her congenial.. and didn't want to go shoppign with her.. Problaby felt too that M seemed super confident so she didn't need/want any advice on how to be a royal....
The shopping trip "snub" took place at most a few weeks after Kate and Meghan met, heck for all we know it could have happened on the same visit they met. Yeah it is believable that they would not have taken to each other under more positive circumstances, but my contention is that the "snub" story being leaked and publicized would have cast such a great pall over the relationship in the form of the Cambridges not trusting Meghan enough to figure out whether or not they like her. This was then compounded by William and Harry falling out when William cautioned Harry against rushing the relationship with Meghan.

P.S.
Even though we now know that Meghan and Kate did not click, it should be noted that the Cambridges did make gracious overtures towards Meghan like having her stay at Anmer Hall during the Christmas holidays and hosting a pre-wedding event for wedding participants friends of Meghan and Harry.

Omid Scobie thinks that The Queen reading a speech about voting, written by one of her own governments, is comparable to remarks made by the Duchess of Sussex.

Total lack of understanding of basic constitutional matters.

Omid did what now?

Omid did what now?

Omid Scobie tweeted out that The Queen encouraged Welsh people to vote in the Welsh Assembly, as a way to deflect the controversy that Meghan using her title to urge people to vote. He was definitely shifting the blame to the Queen and some of the "Sussex Squad" wants to strip The Queen title.

This has been discuss in the forum previously. First of all, the Queen was given what to say in the Speech, like the Queen's speech in the State Opening of Parliament in Westminster. Second of all, Omid Scobie's lack of constitutional knowledge is deplorable for a royal reporter. Third of all, he is extremely bias and unprofessional for a royal reporter, who seems to be defending Meghan at whatever cost. He also tweeted out:

On a side note, someone on twitter has also pointed out that the comments under this tweet (from Omid's official account) are turned off. This tweet was about the Duchess of Cambridge

Sorry if I sound that I am ranting, but I really need to point out Omid's unprofessionalism. ?

I personally prefer Camilla Tominey over Omid Scobie any time, despite the fact Camilla Tominey is also a political contributor at the Telegraph.

Last edited:
The fact he refers to the Duchess of Cambridge as "Duchess Kate" says it all IMO. Omid is not a royal reporter who is fair minded, he is a reporter on the Sussex's - to be honest at this point I would say he is more a commentator than a journalist. He is definitely a 'Sussex collaborator' by which I mean he is active in promoting the Sussexes and their narrative with support from them.

Let's put it this way, if he was a proper journalist his book would have to be balances and objective (even if he likes Meghan he can still be objective) and he could announce he was writing a book about Kate next and we'll all think that too would be a fair balanced reflection on her and her life...

And have all the other Royal reporters on the rota been scrupulously fair, neutral and balanced in their reporting of the Sussex's since 2017? Because IMO they have not.

And much of their reactions and those of other journalists, towards Scobie and Durand and Finding Freedom has been IMO due to the two having written a bestseller, something very few of them have achieved.

Just throwing this into the mix and please remove or place elsewhere...what about the book Meghan and Harry...The Real Story...by Lady Colin Campbell. I am 2/3's way through this book and it's my understanding this is the Palace's version???? The only comment I will make so far is that it gives you a clearer picture of Meghan's growing up and perhaps explains how she has turned into the person she has now become :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Last edited:
Omid Scobie tweeted out that The Queen encouraged Welsh people to vote in the Welsh Assembly, as a way to deflect the controversy that Meghan using her title to urge people to vote. He was definitely shifting the blame to the Queen and some of the "Sussex Squad" wants to strip The Queen title.

This has been discuss in the forum previously. First of all, the Queen was given what to say in the Speech, like the Queen's speech in the State Opening of Parliament in Westminster. Second of all, Omid Scobie's lack of constitutional knowledge is deplorable for a royal reporter. Third of all, he is extremely bias and unprofessional for a royal reporter, who seems to be defending Meghan at whatever cost. He also tweeted out:

On a side note, someone on twitter has also pointed out that the comments under this tweet (from Omid's official account) are turned off. This tweet was about the Duchess of Cambridge

Sorry if I sound that I am ranting, but I really need to point out Omid's unprofessionalism. ?

I personally prefer Camilla Tominey over Omid Scobie any time, despite the fact Camilla Tominey is also a political contributor at the Telegraph.

Scobie is nothing more than Meghan’s PR flunkie pretending to be a reporter

Just throwing this into the mix and please remove or place elsewhere...what about the book Meghan and Harry...The Real Story...by Lady Colin Campbell. I am 2/3's way through this book and it's my understanding this is the Palace's version???? The only comment I will make so far is that it gives you a clearer picture of Meghan's growing up and perhaps explains how she has turned into the person she has now become :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

No I don't believe its ever been seen as "the palace's version"

Lady Coiin Campbell is a fantasist who once peddled a ridiculous theory about the Queen Mother's conception and birth in one of her earlier biographies. She and her book were discussed in July on The Real Story thread.

Fair minded journalist?! Great job being diplomatic?! Lmfao have you heard his interviews lately? And his podcast and read thru his twitter. He is the complete opposite of everything you describe him to be and he is not respected by anyone except the susssex squad. He is most definetly a mouthpiece of Meghan. Only the Sussex fans say he’s reliable because he kisses Meghan’s rear end.

I agree, Omid isn't a royalist, he's a meghanist.

I agree, Omid isn't a royalist, he's a meghanist.

Ironically it seems that although he is trying to defend Meghan his picture of them as getting annoyed over all sorts of things, is making them seem worse...Royal reporting isn't exactly high end journalism.. but he does seem to be very much on the poorer side of it.

This has been discuss in the forum previously. First of all, the Queen was given what to say in the Speech, like the Queen's speech in the State Opening of Parliament in Westminster. Second of all, Omid Scobie's lack of constitutional knowledge is deplorable for a royal reporter. Third of all, he is extremely bias and unprofessional for a royal reporter, who seems to be defending Meghan at whatever cost.

What he doesn't realise or ignores because it contradicts his defence of Meghan is that even if the Welsh government or the UK government in Westminster had written "my government will explore a path to becoming a republic in a white paper this year and putting the BRF in council housing" she would still have had to read it.

The only time her words are her own opinions are at Christmas (or Covid) and that generally sticks to non controversial topics and hopes for peace and goodwill.

Omid is about the least fair and balanced reporter out there, which is his prerogative of course. A book that thinks the only thing wrong with Meghan is that everyone get's jealous of her because she's too perfect shows its colours pretty obviously.

What he doesn't realise or ignores because it contradicts his defence of Meghan is that even if the Welsh government or the UK government in Westminster had written "my government will explore a path to becoming a republic in a white paper this year and putting the BRF in council housing" she would still have had to read it.

The only time her words are her own opinions are at Christmas (or Covid) and that generally sticks to non controversial topics and hopes for peace and goodwill.

Omid is about the least fair and balanced reporter out there, which is his prerogative of course. A book that thinks the only thing wrong with Meghan is that everyone get's jealous of her because she's too perfect shows its colours pretty obviously.
He's not the only person who has defended Meghan's "getting political" by reference to the queen's speech at the Welsh assembly. but it does show his lack of understanding...

I really think that come November 4th, it'll be the end of Meghan seemingly being political. The election will be over and she'll move on to other pastures.

I really think that come November 4th, it'll be the end of Meghan seemingly being political. The election will be over and she'll move on to other pastures.

I think that she'll still be involved..as it is a way of getting noticed. But some time soon she and Harry will have to find a way of making money, so they will probably concentrate on that soon.

This thread in the Royal Library is about a book on the duke and duchess. It is not about their future plans regarding politics or income. Neither is it a thread to discuss the ins & outs of the twitter messages of the authors of this book.

Please stay on topic. Further OT remarks will be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom