Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He obviously didn’t give really give a rats about this “life of Service” or take in the ethos of Charles, his Grandparents and the extended family. I know this is not a popular opinion but I don’t believe Diana’s trying to make him ‘modern’ And be the fun mom was beneficial as it was all one sided... she did not try all that hard to instill respect Or appreciation for The duties, traditions and work his paternal family do, that Life is not all fun and hamburgers and Water parks and sometimes we have to do the boring, proper things without a frown or tantrum or running away. If William was being trained for his future by the Queen Diana could have really helped Harry Learn in the time she had.

For the length of time, I'm just going by what Omid Scobie is supposed to have said about it in his recent interview:
“Meghan didn’t get to try the tiara on again until a few days before the wedding.”
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12419...nd-meghan-revealed-their-megxit-plans-online/

So, assuming all the nonsense in the book is accurate she was able to try on the tiara at least twice - once several weeks before the wedding and then once more a few days before the wedding?

How is that a problem? She’d already picked it out beforehand, then got a chance to try it on to make sure thought it looked good on her, that it would work with the hair style she’d planned, etc. Then she got a second opportunity directly before the wedding to make sure everything was 100% good to go.

Considering this is a valuable royal tiara that has to be brought back and forth from where it’s usually kept I’d say Meghan had sufficient pre-wedding hands on time with it. Also, it didn’t belong to her. She and Harry could have purchased a tiara for Meghan’s exclusive use and then she could have kept it on her bedside table or worn it 24/7. They decided to go with borrowing instead and when you borrow something you have to accept that it’s not you who controls the terms of the loan.

I do wonder, If Kate seemingly made do with a replica/toy one for most fittings and maybe others have done so as well maybe they simply weren't expecting to have to give the tiara out as much.
Whatever miscommunications (and I can't see someone who has got toAngela Kelly's position simply ignoring a request from a member of HMs family especially seen as in the last few years HM has been lending more jewels out) Harry's apparent response it telling and extremely rude. As camelot says, this is a loan of a tira, its not like they were keeping Meghan's own persona tiara or one harry had been left by Diana from them, this was HM's property being handled by HM's senior, trusted aide. Be grateful for the loan of the tiara I'd say.

I do wonder, If Kate seemingly made do with a replica/toy one for most fittings and maybe others have done so as well maybe they simply weren't expecting to have to give the tiara out as much.
Whatever miscommunications (and I can't see someone who has got toAngela Kelly's position simply ignoring a request from a member of HMs family especially seen as in the last few years HM has been lending more jewels out) Harry's apparent response it telling and extremely rude. As camelot says, this is a loan of a tira, its not like they were keeping Meghan's own persona tiara or one harry had been left by Diana from them, this was HM's property being handled by HM's senior, trusted aide. Be grateful for the loan of the tiara I'd say.

I totally agree. I would just be overjoyed and grateful that I was even getting to wear one. I would have kept my mouth shut and assumed that they knew what they were doing. They have put on quite a few royal weddings.

I totally agree. I would just be overjoyed and grateful that I was even getting to wear one. I would have kept my mouth shut and assumed that they knew what they were doing. They have put on quite a few royal weddings.

Seems neither know how to be grateful........

Sigh.

H and M are self-centered and spoiled; they don’t know what it means to be grateful - they want what they want. I’ve never seen two people as entitled as these two.

I think the handful of aides in Angela Kelly’s position - the people who have worked very closely with QEII for a long time - likely know her very well and may have a better understanding of overall Windsor family dynamics than most of the actual family members. (Let’s hope Angela Kelly never wants to Find Freedom). I don’t think someone who has been kept on so long would ever overstep, but she no doubt has a finely calibrated sense of how her boss prefers to handle each family member. For example, if Anne has contacted her mother’s closest aides once in the last 30 years upset about an emergency, a second call from her tomorrow would likely he seen in a different way than calls from other family members who seem to have emergencies much more often. It may be part of Ms. Kelly’s unofficial job description to know how long The Queen wants to be shielded from each family member.

A lot of the Queens jewels are practically museum pieces and have to be treated as such. The tiara Meghan wore isn't far off 100 years old and I imagine Angela Kelly and the rest of the team involved in caring for these items probably treat them as a curator in a museum would ie with the understanding that they have to be handled carefully and not passed back and forth too often from where they are usually kept. I also don't see why getting to chose the tiara initially and try it on (which we know they did because H said this happened and that both of them agreed this one suited Meghan best) and then get to work with it a second time days before the wedding with her hairdresser wasn't enough. It's amazing the number of people H and M argued with both within the BRF and among those who work for them. Angela Kelly is very well liked and appreciated by the Queen so I'm sure HM will be furious that Angela is also being attacked by them in this book.

:previous:

Very bad form to have a go at staff.

You punch up not down.

It seems to me that they just showed up at the palace expecting to be served. Meghan had clearly made an appointment with her hair dresser as there was a flight involved. Why wasn't an appointment made with Ms. Kelly as well. It is just common courtesy.

It seems to me that they just showed up at the palace expecting to be served. Meghan had clearly made an appointment with her hair dresser as there was a flight involved. Why wasn't an appointment made with Ms. Kelly as well. It is just common courtesy.

That’s the continuing problem for me, they expect...be it attention, a voice, a whatever...

That's what the book seems to suggest, that Meghan and the hairdresser came to BP and expected someone to just go and fetch the tiara right at that moment. I'm surprised that Harry didn't appreciate that it couldn't just be summoned like that even if Meghan didn't. We are talking about a priceless historical object here not a plastic Disney princess headpiece.

A few places are putting it that way - Meghan and hairdresser turned up at BP and asked for the tiara but Angela was with HM at Windsor and as she was the only one able to grant access it simply wasn’t possible. Even IF someone else had access to the vault Kelly wouldn’t allow people to go in and get the tiara without her being there, as at the end of the day the jewels are her responsibility.
Harry’s way if speaking about Kelly (and speaking to HM, his own grandmother) and them allowing this story to be made public to shame a member of HMs staff, essentially a domestic servant, at the end of the day, is shameful. I’m surprised HM didn’t pull the offer of the tiara loan to be honest.

That's what the book seems to suggest, that Meghan and the hairdresser came to BP and expected someone to just go and fetch the tiara right at that moment. I'm surprised that Harry didn't appreciate that it couldn't just be summoned like that even if Meghan didn't. We are talking about a priceless historical object here not a plastic Disney princess headpiece.

Right, and as I’ve said before, I blame Harry for this whole mess...it appears, to me, that he has never ever known anticipation but only instant gratification.

Look at what we're doing here. Because of this book, pages and pages of posts have resulted because of relating an event (the tiara and the hairdresser and the staff that couldn't/wouldn't/didn't cooperate) that was a blip that happened *before* the wedding. Same thing with a supposed "snub" over a possible shopping trip. These are the kind of stories that make the headlines in the tabloids and websites dealing in scandal and gossip like Page Six. These are the kind of stories and reports that became the nemesis of the *why* Harry and Meghan drastically and unexpectedly pulled up stakes and rode off into the sunset for "self preservation" and "peace" and whatever else you want to attribute to their motives.

Yet here we are. The nemesis of the Sussexes has now turned into the meat and potatoes and the have all and be all of who the Sussexes are. They didn't go away and leave it all behind them. They packed it all up in brightly colored boxes to be unpacked and poured over and reminisced about in minute detail until the cows come home. They, *themselves*, have changed their lives from being noteworthy of interest that the BBC would pick up on to relegating themselves to the level of a Samantha or a Thomas or a Piers or a Dan that rely on "Sheeple News Associated Press" with the latest in gossip, faux pas, flashes of panty lines and Botox jobs gone wrong.

Doesn't it strike *anybody* at all that Harry and Meghan left to avoid the three ring circus only to find out they've become the main attraction and with the book "Finding Freedom", seemingly *want* the circus and all it entails?

Its taken me this long to really reach an opinion of whether or not this "new life" for the Sussexes would actually be an advantage for them or not or if they've made a good move for themselves and their family or even if they could do their "own thing" in the US and still reside part time in the UK and maintain the charities and endeavors and incentives they already had and find a balance . I'm fast reaching the opinion that they've burnt all their bridges behind them and along with those, have drowned any good will that may have followed them.

Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand have done this couple no favors. Kept them in the limelight, true. Kept their names and faces front and center to the public masses, true. Made a whole lot of green dollars, true. Kept Meghan and Harry's reputation and worth and aims and goals of what they want to do and what they hope to accomplish, no way.

Look at what we're doing here. Because of this book, pages and pages of posts have resulted because of relating an event (the tiara and the hairdresser and the staff that couldn't/wouldn't/didn't cooperate) that was a blip that happened *before* the wedding. Same thing with a supposed "snub" over a possible shopping trip. These are the kind of stories that make the headlines in the tabloids and websites dealing in scandal and gossip like Page Six. These are the kind of stories and reports that became the nemesis of the *why* Harry and Meghan drastically and unexpectedly pulled up stakes and rode off into the sunset for "self preservation" and "peace" and whatever else you want to attribute to their motives.

Yet here we are. The nemesis of the Sussexes has now turned into the meat and potatoes and the have all and be all of who the Sussexes are. They didn't go away and leave it all behind them. They packed it all up in brightly colored boxes to be unpacked and poured over and reminisced about in minute detail until the cows come home. They, *themselves*, have changed their lives from being noteworthy of interest that the BBC would pick up on to relegating themselves to the level of a Samantha or a Thomas or a Piers or a Dan that rely on "Sheeple News Associated Press" with the latest in gossip, faux pas, flashes of panty lines and Botox jobs gone wrong.

Doesn't it strike *anybody* at all that Harry and Meghan left to avoid the three ring circus only to find out they've become the main attraction and with the book "Finding Freedom", seemingly *want* the circus and all it entails?

Its taken me this long to really reach an opinion of whether or not this "new life" for the Sussexes would actually be an advantage for them or not or if they've made a good move for themselves and their family or even if they could do their "own thing" in the US and still reside part time in the UK and maintain the charities and endeavors and incentives they already had and find a balance . I'm fast reaching the opinion that they've burnt all their bridges behind them and along with those, have drowned any good will that may have followed them.

Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand have done this couple no favors. Kept them in the limelight, true. Kept their names and faces front and center to the public masses, true. Made a whole lot of green dollars, true. Kept Meghan and Harry's reputation and worth and aims and goals of what they want to do and what they hope to accomplish, no way.

Ah sure listen, I was reminded that Diana high jacked a speech for a charity to 'step away from the limelight and drop some charities etc.' Lasted a nanosecond. He is his mother's son, is Harry and he found someone to lead him in a given direction. Leave them at it. At times I feel sad for them. It is going to be an uphill struggle to stay relevant. Covid slammed their window of opportunity really. And neither is none too bright but they are trying at the moment doing things for free. Problem is if you do it for free, in this line of things, how do you then convince people to pay you...well you didn't need money before.

Last edited:
A few places are putting it that way - Meghan and hairdresser turned up at BP and asked for the tiara but Angela was with HM at Windsor and as she was the only one able to grant access it simply wasn’t possible. Even IF someone else had access to the vault Kelly wouldn’t allow people to go in and get the tiara without her being there, as at the end of the day the jewels are her responsibility.
Harry’s way if speaking about Kelly (and speaking to HM, his own grandmother) and them allowing this story to be made public to shame a member of HMs staff, essentially a domestic servant, at the end of the day, is shameful. I’m surprised HM didn’t pull the offer of the tiara loan to be honest.

Apparently the rules aren’t for Harry and Meghan ....or so they think, except ultimately HM put them in their place.

About your last statement, I don’t think that’s HM’s way. She can make her feelings known without being overly punitive from her POV.

Ah, the circus, wherever it may be, seems they want to be the Ringmaster

Pretty sad. The world is going to h**l in a COVID-filled handbasket, and there are people so eager to diminish a pair of total strangers...

Well only in a forum dedicated to them to be fair. And I think most people are giving their thoughts, based on the facts presented.

So, assuming all the nonsense in the book is accurate she was able to try on the tiara at least twice - once several weeks before the wedding and then once more a few days before the wedding?

How is that a problem?
It wouldn't have been a problem for me but it seems it was for them. I can't believe that Angela Kelly, the long serving, highly revered closest aide to HMQ would be deliberately difficult about wedding arrangements for HMQ's grandson and his bride. We don't have her side of the story, like many others in the book where someone who can't answer back is criticised by name for being difficult or unsupportive eg Catherine. I imagine there's quite a bit of steam coming out of their ears at the moment.

Mr Scobie has revealed that the Duke of Sussex is "intending to open up about his own racially-insensitive behaviour" of the past - the Nazi outfit and name-calling in the army.

That's a good decision.

Hope it is done well and helps the Sussexes move forward, and doesn't backfire on them.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12419...nd-meghan-revealed-their-megxit-plans-online/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...k-two-months-Megxit-row-says-Omid-Scobie.html

HE's doing this now? He apologized and made public statements way back when. about the episodes.

HE's doing this now? He apologized and made public statements way back when. about the episodes.

It seems odd to me too. This is relevant to his place in today's world? How? Is he also going to make speeches about how he "escaped" from his protection officers at KP and was rescued walking about London on his own as a little guy? Is he going to totally come clean about just how many drinks he had to consume before he lost his inhibitions and played co-ed naked pool?

To me, this reeks of using who he was to ice the cake of who he really isn't now. A man, confident in his own self and his ambitions and goals and plans to forget ahead, doesn't need to rely on his past to shape his future.

It seems odd to me too. This is relevant to his place in today's world? How? Is he also going to make speeches about how he "escaped" from his protection officers at KP and was rescued walking about London on his own as a little guy? Is he going to totally come clean about just how many drinks he had to consume before he lost his inhibitions and played co-ed naked pool?

To me, this reeks of using who he was to ice the cake of who he really isn't now. A man, confident in his own self and his ambitions and goals and plans to forget ahead, doesn't need to rely on his past to shape his future.

It would appear that Prince Harry believes that this is the right step to take.

It would appear that Prince Harry believes that this is the right step to take.

This is one thing I won't criticize him for as, being Jewish (though you don't have to be Jewish to be offended by his actions years ago) it would be nice to hear him speak to what he was thinking, etc.. I don't recall him offering a genuine mea culpa at the time.

No offense, Osipi (and Sandy), but we JUST had a huge blowout in the Sussex boards about this topic. No matter what you think, there are people who want and need to hear what he's going to say about that Nazi incident.....like Jewish people. There is no statute of limitations on such ugly behavior. Maybe Harry didn't think he did enough. Maybe Harry wants to sincerely express his regrets. Maybe Harry wants to take real action now. I don't know, but for me this is a very good thing. I've criticized him a LOT, for good reason, but (and of course it depends on what he says) I'm looking forward to what he has to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the handful of aides in Angela Kelly’s position - the people who have worked very closely with QEII for a long time - likely know her very well and may have a better understanding of overall Windsor family dynamics than most of the actual family members. (Let’s hope Angela Kelly never wants to Find Freedom). I don’t think someone who has been kept on so long would ever overstep, but she no doubt has a finely calibrated sense of how her boss prefers to handle each family member. For example, if Anne has contacted her mother’s closest aides once in the last 30 years upset about an emergency, a second call from her tomorrow would likely he seen in a different way than calls from other family members who seem to have emergencies much more often. It may be part of Ms. Kelly’s unofficial job description to know how long The Queen wants to be shielded from each family member.

Angela Kelly's recent book, "The Other Side of the Coin", about her job and her relationship with the Queen (written with the Queen's permission) is great. The thing that stood out to me the most is Angela Kelly's respect for the Queen and her absolute loyalty to her.

Boy, perhaps the only one who looks worse than H and M is Omid:

Dan Wootton
@danwootton

Scobie’s just had a major telling off from his “bosses” Harry and Meghan!
Exact quote from you: “Harry had to intervene. He called his grandmother and said, ‘I don’t know what the hell is going on. This woman needs to make this work for my future wife.’” Cat face with tears of joyCat face with tears of joyCat face with tears of joy
Quote Tweet

Omid Scobie
@scobie
· 2h
I’ve tried to stay off Twitter in the recent days but I need to comment on false reporting that has been attributed to me. I NEVER said Prince Harry “yelled” or “shouted” at The Queen — not in an interview or in the book. Ridiculous claim to make.
Show this thread

Don't get me wrong on this. I do think Harry addressing this issue is a good thing in its own way. To come clean about what was then and how he feels about it now. It would have fit so beautifully into Harry speaking somewhere about his own mental health issues and be a poignant point to address then and there, in the context of something he's speaking about.

The *way* we've been informed of Harry's addressing this issue perhaps is the real underlining factor that made me jump to the opinion that I did. "Mr Scobie has revealed that the Duke of Sussex is "intending to open up about his own racially-insensitive behaviour" of the past - the Nazi outfit and name-calling in the army." This PR reads like a trailer to a "tell all interview" focusing all its attention on Harry and Harry's foibles and Harry's mistakes of the past and drawing attention to Harry. In a way it sounds like the trailer that could have run prior to the upcoming Panorama interview Diana did.

I do believe it would have been best to have been left alone, not advertised and called attention to and just have Harry insert his thoughts in something he's already talking about rather than "beef" it up as an upcoming thing nobody will want to miss starring Harry. It lessens the impact. At least it does to me.

Interesting because Omid's comments were taken from the interview he did the other day, I believe its a blog/tv show interview so shouldn't be too hard to verify what Omid said.

Oh look, found it...I wont post the clip as its on a troll twitter but I believe it to be real and not doctored at all. He's right he never said "yelled" or "shouted" but he did say Harry phoned the Queen and said "I don’t know what the hell is going on. This woman needs to make this work for my future wife." Its not a comfortable thing to say to your grandmother about one of her closest aides and confidants IMO, never mind if you grandmother is the Queen or not. It is still out of line, still disrespectful, still blaming an employee for his soon to be wife apparently just turning up demanding access to a priceless tiara without warning and still has a nasty undertone to it IMO, especially when the Queen is doing you a favour loaning you one of her tiaras. Note he isn't denying anything else just that he never said "shouted", well to be honest if Harry had shouted at HM I think we'd all of been shocked. Speaking like this to HM is akin to shouting at her IMO.

Whats interesting...is this the only thing that Omid has said that is wrong and therefore thats why its the first thing to be corrected?

Edited - here is a youtube, from 3.40 in for the relevant comments

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong on this. I do think Harry addressing this issue is a good thing in its own way. To come clean about what was then and how he feels about it now. It would have fit so beautifully into Harry speaking somewhere about his own mental health issues and be a poignant point to address then and there, in the context of something he's speaking about.

The *way* we've been informed of Harry's addressing this issue perhaps is the real underlining factor that made me jump to the opinion that I did. "Mr Scobie has revealed that the Duke of Sussex is "intending to open up about his own racially-insensitive behaviour" of the past - the Nazi outfit and name-calling in the army." This PR reads like a trailer to a "tell all interview" focusing all its attention on Harry and Harry's foibles and Harry's mistakes of the past and drawing attention to Harry. In a way it sounds like the trailer that could have run prior to the upcoming Panorama interview Diana did.

I do believe it would have been best to have been left alone, not advertised and called attention to and just have Harry insert his thoughts in something he's already talking about rather than "beef" it up as an upcoming thing nobody will want to miss starring Harry. It lessens the impact. At least it does to me.

I’m sorry, Osipi, I didn’t mean to snap. I was actually coming back to edit my post to not be so harsh.

I understand now what you mean, and I see your point. It does seem a bit like grandstanding, just more attention seeking instead of being naturally low key about it. The way that statement is worded makes it sound like Harry has suddenly had an epiphany about these things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom