Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They fought very publicly to be able to keep using those titles and complained that people like Bea, Eugenie, Edward, Prince Michael etc were all able to use HRH Prince/ss whilst having an outside job.

Although working for an art gallery or tech firm is very different from having Sussex Royal on everything as a brand name which I think is what the firm were worried about if Bea started the HRH Princess Beatrice Technology Consultancy she would probably be told to change it. Even Prince Michael might get into more difficulties with Cantium Services and his "business consulting" if he was any closer to the throne.

Nothing they've done suggests that they want to use "Mountbatten Windsor" to identify themselves.

Edward Lane Fox does seem to have done a good job in turning Harry's image around whilst he was there. It didn't take long at all to go from all the controversial and highly problematic stuff to "Harry was just young, he's grown - look at all the amazing things he's doing now!" Helped by a Cheeky Chappie and Harry the Fun Lad persona.

Of course they did - Harry and Meghan are like spoiled children, crying about unfair treatment whenever they can’t get what they want. They couldn’t understand why there was an issue with them using HRH; their self-absorption, ignorance and sense of entitlement is mind-blowing.

I don’t mean that Meghan should expect to go shopping with Kate, just that it might be off putting to have not been invited.
To me what was substantially more off-putting is that the incident was leaked to a Canadian gossip blogger who then reported it as a thinly veiled blind item (link).

Both Harry and William are known to have trust issues. William, and I think Harry but I am not 100% sure, would give false information to new people as a test to see if the information would end up in the media. If information got leaked, then that person got cut off.

The fact that an incident involving Meghan and Kate ended up in the media not long after they were introduced would understandably set the stage for the relationship, not only the relationship between Meghan and Kate but also the relationship between Meghan and Kate's distrustful and guarded husband.

I cannot believe the fact that this incident between Kate and Meghan ended up in the press escaped notice, and wish that the fall out from it was addressed in the book.

ETA:
I started drafting this comment and then stepped away and see that yukari posted a very thorough breakdown of the incident and the fact that it was leaked.

Last edited:
Edward Lane Fox. He appears to be a master of PR, since he did great job of masking/redirecting Harry's controversies and personality "issues".

FF makes it sound like Meghan didn't trust him. So reading between the lines he was shown the door, then the Sussexes focused on a more Hollywood PR approach.

I'd like to think if ELF ever crossed paths with M&H, he'd do a Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, "Big Mistake! Big! Huge!" before strutting away from them.

Wow! Hold on! ELF is mentioned in the book?!
How has that not been quoted and talked about, it’s actually a major thing imo.

I wasn't referring to any article... I was just responding to a post about the 'shopping issue' that seems to have been reported in multiple outlets.

I agree with the many posters that it another example of Meghan needlessly taking offense of something very minor. She may have been slightly disappointed (it would have been nice to do so together - maybe another time) but any other reaction is overblown - and says much more about Meghan than about Catherine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/15/opinion/finding-freedom-harry-meghan.html?searchResultPosition=1

This is the article from the New York Times. Perhaps I should have placed it in the 'Finding Freedom' thread as the article is meant as a reaction to the book. Reading through the reactions on this thread to just one sentence in the article about the Duchess of Cambridge not offering to share a trip to a particular shopping street, it seems to me that the cultural differences between Americans and the British are indeed amplified by a lack of empathy and a dearth of kindness. Perhaps as a subject for discussion: the article's author claims that the Duchess of Sussex is a perfectionist and that her failure at being a member of the British Royal Family is extremely hurtful. Another interesting insight from the article: Prince Harry, as a member of the Royal Family, confused "sacrifice with service"; his duchess confused it with fame. Upthread, I compared the marriage of Harry and his Meghan to the romance between Carla Bruni and Nicolas Sarkozy: the aging starlet marries fame and fortune. I wonder how other members of TRF think of these ideas.

Last edited:
Believe me it is hard! Unless we are talking about a small company. Anyway, absolutely - they are not trading on their titles. The Sussexes are looking to milk every last drop out of Harry's heritage. It is tawdry and unedifying.

It depends on the size of the company and the organization structure/org chart but VP is typically high up and takes quite some time, so yes, her being a princess might have been a contributing factor, I could see the benefit of her being a royal for this position (strategic partnerships). It might open doors just a little faster...

Thank you- and Tommy/Poppy also!

When I see Edward Fox, I can’t help thinking of Edward and Mrs. Simpson, lol

:D My thoughts with the 'Lane Fox' immediately go to the fictional 'The Hon. Mabel Lane Fox' of Downton Abbey.

Daily update on book.

The last one before the end.

All just how great they are. How others, within the palaces, felt the would eclipse the monarchy.

Just three things of real note really.

The tiara.

I have the distinct impression that Meghan, upon looking online at tiaras, did want one with emeralds. And Omid talks about the one Eugenie did indeed wear. But she obviously wasn't offered.

Anyway Harry being absolutely over the top about Angela Kelly. Completely. Inferring she is Queens gatekeeper. She didn't like Meghan etc etc you cannot always have what you want. But it is very clear earlier on that Angela had said a trial would take place. She probably though the week before or something.

I mean it just goes to show the level of paranoia.

Also the baby shower. It caused many within the palace, who had previously supported Harry to question things. They felt a lot of the pictures were set up paparazzi ones.

The other is the bananas. I mean it was vapid. That is my opinion. Your job as a member of the royal family is to shine a light on the needs and works of others which then enables them to get support and money. You provide the flashlight to enable these peoples to better their lives. You can talk about competition between the households all you like, but this is essentially what it comes down to. Getting publicity for the work which enables people to be helped. No one is interested in what you have to say. As the Queen screamed at Prince Charles in The Crown. Meghan saying she couldn't answer the media back. Why does she need to. They have an opinion. She has opinion. Why would you need to defend yourself.

The overall feeling about this book is absolute indulgence. Like Ancient Rome.

No one in the world would feel sorry for them after this and there are things to feel for them over. The media coverage could be horrendous. But reading this is just a narcissist and her enabler wrankling against the world screaming: why don't you like me? Everyone loves me.

To me what was substantially more off-putting is that the incident was leaked to a Canadian gossip blogger who then reported it as a thinly veiled blind item (link).

Both Harry and William are known to have trust issues. William, and I think Harry but I am not 100% sure, would give false information to new people as a test to see if the information would end up in the media. If information got leaked, then that person got cut off.

The fact that an incident involving Meghan and Kate ended up in the media not long after they were introduced would understandably set the stage for the relationship, not only the relationship between Meghan and Kate but also the relationship between Meghan and Kate's distrustful and guarded husband.

I cannot believe the fact that this incident between Kate and Meghan ended up in the press escaped notice, and wish that the fall out from it was addressed in the book.

ETA:
I started drafting this comment and then stepped away and see that yukari posted a very thorough breakdown of the incident and the fact that it was leaked.

Even more so:
Lainey was at the time, and still is, a fairly obscure Canadian gossiper.
The reason why it was obvious this info came via Meghan, was because Lainey works (worked?) with Ben Mulroney...
You do the math.

Whether this leak reached William and Catherine is a good question.

There has been (is? Not sure if she still posts) one YouTuber gossiper, a former editor for a US tabloid (the star I think), who has said- for a long time now -how before Meghan it was impossible to get gossip from the royals household and a lot of what they wrote was not true or build upon nuggets of info, but since Meghan arrived on the scene her friends in the business have been saying the gates have opened and there has been leaks upon leaks.

So, would things change if you are a high-profile person that at all times needs to think about the press who might spot you when you are going about your own business - and bringing the new girlfriend of your brother-in-law might create more fuss? You'd think they would both want to avoid any additional press attention.

This is right on the money. Catherine and Meghan being seen shopping together would have brought so much attention and speculation. Let's face it, Katherine has LOTS of experience being a royal girlfriend. I'm sure her instinct would be not to feed the beast. The less attention the better, especially when H&M were in the early stages of dating.

Even more so:
Lainey was at the time, and still is, a fairly obscure Canadian gossiper.
The reason why it was obvious this info came via Meghan, was because Lainey works (worked?) with Ben Mulroney...
You do the math.

Whether this leak reached William and Catherine is a good question.

There has been (is? Not sure if she still posts) one YouTuber gossiper, a former editor for a US tabloid (the star I think), who has said- for a long time now -how before Meghan it was impossible to get gossip from the royals household and a lot of what they wrote was not true or build upon nuggets of info, but since Meghan arrived on the scene her friends in the business have been saying the gates have opened and there has been leaks upon leaks.

That is pure nonsense. There have always been leaks, lots of leaks within about the BRF. To try and blame it on Meghan is ridiculous.

There are tons of gossipy leaks about various members of the BRF...they, for whatever reason, are not talked about here for the most part...unless it's to do with the Sussexes.

LaRae

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/15/opinion/finding-freedom-harry-meghan.html?searchResultPosition=1

This is the article from the New York Times. Perhaps I should have placed it in the 'Finding Freedom' thread as the article is meant as a reaction to the book. Reading through the reactions on this thread to just one sentence in the article about the Duchess of Cambridge not offering to share a trip to a particular shopping street, it seems to me that the cultural differences between Americans and the British are indeed amplified by a lack of empathy and a dearth of kindness. Perhaps as a subject for discussion: the article's author claims that the Duchess of Sussex is a perfectionist and that her failure at being a member of the British Royal Family is extremely hurtful. Another interesting insight from the article: Prince Harry, as a member of the Royal Family, confused "sacrifice with service"; his duchess confused it with fame. Upthread, I compared the marriage of Harry and his Meghan to the romance between Carla Bruni and Nicolas Sarkozy: the aging starlet marries fame and fortune. I wonder how other members of TRF think of this idea.

I read it. I think they did. They got it all wrong. But at the end of says it is admirable they didn't settle for that life. That depends of you think the life is worth it. That public service isn't worth it. That the Prince's Trust and all the people it has helped hasn't been worth it. Or the Invictus Games. Or thr hospitals they open. Or the Duke of Edinburgh awards. Or or or. Yes they sacrifice parts of themselves to do the job. But what about the public service. Or any public service. Any such career more focussed on others and not done to gain money. And not done to have a voice or gain fame in the royals instance.

Last edited:
At the time there was nothing official for Harry and Meghan. If they had been papped together (Kate and Meghan) it would have started a lot of unwanted comments.

IMO, that is exactly why Meghan was "offended". She wanted to tout Kate's seal of approval for her relationship with Harry at that early stage and was thwarted.

Reactions: Fem
It looks like the shopping incident happened months before Harry was seen publicly with Meghan at the Invictus Games. If that's the case, then of course Catherine wouldn't offer to go shopping with her and have their photos all over the media. I'd have thought Catherine wouldn't dream of escalating the Harry/Meghan stories before Harry himself had planned his own public outing with Meghan.

Meghan may have felt slighted & grumbled to a friend (who repeated it) but given that Harry hadn't arranged to be seen officially with her in public at that point, no doubt he could have explained to her why Catherine went on her own.

It looks like the shopping incident happened months before Harry was seen publicly with Meghan at the Invictus Games. If that's the case, then of course Catherine wouldn't offer to go shopping with her and have their photos all over the media. I'd have thought Catherine wouldn't dream of escalating the Harry/Meghan stories before Harry himself had planned his own public outing with Meghan.

Meghan may have felt slighted & grumbled to a friend (who repeated it) but given that Harry hadn't arranged to be seen officially with her in public at that point, no doubt he could have explained to her why Catherine went on her own.
That seems like a very reasonable scenario Lilyflo. As mentioned before Catherine had years of experience as the royal girlfriend, so choosing to not draw attention before Prince Harry had publicly acknowledged his relationship with Meghan was the sensible thing to do.

That seems like a very reasonable scenario Lilyflo. As mentioned before Catherine had years of experience as the royal girlfriend, so choosing to not draw attention before Prince Harry had publicly acknowledged his relationship with Meghan was the sensible thing to do.

Yes, although Harry had said Meghan was his girlfriend, he hadn't been seen in public with her (officially) and that's a milestone for the royals I think in their relationships so Catherine wouldn't have stepped in ahead of that.

It's the same here in Germany. When you need to use the loo, you look around and you see the nods from the others and then we just get up and go. To the grins of our hubbies.

And as a result the lines to the women's bathroom are a mile long and there is no line at the men's. Have you ever noticed that?:lol::lol::lol: I often wish we didn't go to the bathroom in packs.

You know what? If H&M get offended by a) not getting a shopping invite and b) not having the photo on the dresser when granny is on tv
and they don't see the invites and perks they *did* get from the BRF (invited on an official representation with the queen etc)

then it's all the more better for everyone that they stepped away from royal life

Exactly. She appointed them President and Vice President of the Queen's Commonwealth Trust. That was such a huge honor and indication of how much she trusted them. And they have just thrown it back in her face.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is the article from the New York Times. Perhaps I should have placed it in the 'Finding Freedom' thread as the article is meant as a reaction to the book. Reading through the reactions on this thread to just one sentence in the article about the Duchess of Cambridge not offering to share a trip to a particular shopping street, it seems to me that the cultural differences between Americans and the British are indeed amplified by a lack of empathy and a dearth of kindness. Perhaps as a subject for discussion: the article's author claims that the Duchess of Sussex is a perfectionist and that her failure at being a member of the British Royal Family is extremely hurtful. Another interesting insight from the article: Prince Harry, as a member of the Royal Family, confused "sacrifice with service"; his duchess confused it with fame. Upthread, I compared the marriage of Harry and his Meghan to the romance between Carla Bruni and Nicolas Sarkozy: the aging starlet marries fame and fortune. I wonder how other members of TRF think of this idea.

I took a quick look at the article - written by a British journalist- and clicked off of it right away; it’s obvious she’s a Republican and I have no time for her nastiness towards the BRF. Like I said earlier, the Times has sucked lately - this isn’t the first, nor will it be the last, article of its kind.

What exactly do you mean by this?

it seems to me that the cultural differences between Americans and the British are indeed amplified by a lack of empathy and a dearth of kindness.

If it were me, there is no way I would have asked for anything special if I were Meghan or complained about anything (tiara practice, shopping with Kate etc.) I would have submitted myself to the ways of the RF if was about to become one of them, and done the best I could do. I would have asked for and taken advice that I was given. When in Rome... But then, I have been following the RF for 40 years, and supposedly Meghan had never heard much about them. :whistling:

The more I think about it, the more I wonder really what kind of "freedom" are Harry and Meghan really going to ever have? The more they act, the more they come out and say things and the more "publicity" these two people are getting, the more it seems that there is nowhere on the planet that these two will ever be able to go and be "left alone" to do their "own thing" and be taken seriously.

If either one of them had "baggage" before the beginning of 2020, they've sure done a remarkable job of taking on a lot of luggage ever since. To really have a quiet, private life raising Archie and just going about their lives doing what they feel they want to do now has as much chance of happening as a tornado ripping through a junkyard and assembling a fully operational private jet for the two of them.

If they had just taken their time, left the "Firm" on an amicable standing with the blessings of all the BRF and sailed into the sunset and laid low for six months to a year (or now until the pandemic scare passes back into somewhat of a normal world), they would be taken so much more seriously than the "shock and awe" we've had from this couple since the South African trip and the interview that really, when you think about it, ranks right up with Andrew's. A *huge* mistake.

Yes, they are their own worst enemies.

Daily update on book.

The last one before the end.

All just how great they are. How others, within the palaces, felt the would eclipse the monarchy.

Just three things of real note really.

The tiara.

I have the distinct impression that Meghan, upon looking online at tiaras, did want one with emeralds. And Omid talks about the one Eugenie did indeed wear. But she obviously wasn't offered.

Anyway Harry being absolutely over the top about Angela Kelly. Completely. Inferring she is Queens gatekeeper. She didn't like Meghan etc etc you cannot always have what you want. But it is very clear earlier on that Angela had said a trial would take place. She probably though the week before or something.

I mean it just goes to show the level of paranoia.

Also the baby shower. It caused many within the palace, who had previously supported Harry to question things. They felt a lot of the pictures were set up paparazzi ones.

The other is the bananas. I mean it was vapid. That is my opinion. Your job as a member of the royal family is to shine a light on the needs and works of others which then enables them to get support and money. You provide the flashlight to enable these peoples to better their lives. You can talk about competition between the households all you like, but this is essentially what it comes down to. Getting publicity for the work which enables people to be helped. No one is interested in what you have to say. As the Queen screamed at Prince Charles in The Crown. Meghan saying she couldn't answer the media back. Why does she need to. They have an opinion. She has opinion. Why would you need to defend yourself.

The overall feeling about this book is absolute indulgence. Like Ancient Rome.

No one in the world would feel sorry for them after this and there are things to feel for them over. The media coverage could be horrendous. But reading this is just a narcissist and her enabler wrankling against the world screaming: why don't you like me? Everyone loves me.

Thank you for your updates - you crack me up!

Good grief, again with “How the Sussexes Turn” ...no one, no couple, is ever going to outshine the monarch...H and M have massive egos and colossal gall, sigh.

Add Angela to the list of people Harry and Meghan don’t like because she said “no”. If it matters to them, and I’m sure it does, the list of people who don’t like them is also increasing, lol

If it were me, there is no way I would have asked for anything special if I were Meghan or complained about anything (tiara practice, shopping with Kate etc.) I would have submitted myself to the ways of the RF if was about to become one of them, and done the best I could do. I would have asked for and taken advice that I was given. When in Rome... But then, I have been following the RF for 40 years, and supposedly Meghan had never heard much about them. :whistling:

I wouldn’t care about the shopping part, but the tiara practice seems like a reasonable request. Tiaras look mildly uncomfortable and I wonder how they keep them pinned in place without slipping askew.

Here’s another book review. They’re coming right out and implying that Meghan pretty much wrote the book:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...dom-fluff-Meghan-Markles-fingerprints-it.html

I love the book just for the reviews it’s generating...this one left me ??

As to this, I’d like to know where Harry and Meghan went that had no path..and how they left a trail. Quitting ? Edward VIII beat them to it!

'Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.'

Add Angela to the list of people Harry and Meghan don’t like because she said “no”. If it matters to them, and I’m sure it does, the list of people who don’t like them is also increasing, lol

It does indeed seem to matter to them and allegedly Harry is/was in the insane habit of not only reading Daily Mail(and other tabloid) articles about himself but the comments as well. :eek: I wouldn't do that even for the fluffiest piece of fluffy nonsense that most definitely wasn't about me or anything I cared about.

I wouldn’t care about the shopping part, but the tiara practice seems like a reasonable request. Tiaras look mildly uncomfortable and I wonder how they keep them pinned in place without slipping askew.

I am sure things could have been arranged - if they had asked in advance. Either with a 'practice' tiara (as Catherine apparently did) or with the real one. If I understand it correctly the main issue was that they wanted the tiara 'here and now' while the one with the key (the Queen's personal assistant Angela Kelly wasn't immediately available.

may I ask those who bought the book if Doria is mentioned at all?
I wonder since a long time what she thinks about it all. If she keeps quiet because she knows her only child and fears to be cut off, now that she is growing old?
Or if she is supportive in the sense if M&H have done the right thing and are true victims....
Thanks.

may I ask those who bought the book if Doria is mentioned at all?
I wonder since a long time what she thinks about it all. If she keeps quiet because she knows her only child and fears to be cut off, now that she is growing old?
Or if she is supportive in the sense if M&H have done the right thing and are true victims....
Thanks.

I think Doria accepts Meghan for who she is warts and all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom