Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I feel like Harry and Meghan were putting too much pressure on W and K - especially- to be as in love with Meghan as he was. It’s as if he thought that because his rushed relationship with M was working, he could rush her through with everyone - everyone had to love her right away, want to hang out with her, etc... It’s very smothering. That time M was upset that Kate didn’t take her shopping when they ended up at the same place is a perfect example. It’s like M expected that everyone’s world would center around making her happy..as if Kate didn’t have the right to want to do her own thing.

It’s possible for two people who are dissimilar to be friends, but I’m not sure Meghan and Kate could have given M’s temperament and tendency to be rude to people, to be demanding, etc...

So I saw this been discussed in twitter which started somewhere in tumblr.
-That based on the book, Catherine and Meghan finally met in January 10, 2017.
-Then Lainey (blogger who was said to be "close" to Meghan) blind post about Catherine not offering Meghan a ride to go shopping was posted on February 17, 2017.

There are snapshot of the said page of the book and screenshot of the blog post circulating in IG as well.

I don't have the book, but if the said shopping trip is as referred in the second one ... can it be considered rude? I mean, it's only 1 month after first introduction.

-Then Lainey (blogger who was said to be "close" to Meghan) blind post about Catherine not offering Meghan a ride to go shopping was posted on February 17, 2017.

There are snapshot of the said page of the book and screenshot of the blog post circulating in IG as well.

I don't have the book, but if the said shopping trip is as referred in the second one ... can it be considered rude? I mean, it's only 1 month after first introduction.

So if this information was given to Lainey the blogger, it must have came directly or indirectly from Meghan. Only Meghan could have told someone how she felt about a situation.
Using media when it suits is a dangerous game to play, that is what surprises me about Harry he must know his mother played the media.

So if this information was given to Lainey the blogger, it must have came directly or indirectly from Meghan. Only Meghan could have told someone how she felt about a situation.
Using media when it suits is a dangerous game to play, that is what surprises me about Harry he must know his mother played the media.

And Harry is a fan of that. As it mentions, he studied Diana's post-divorce speech so he could mimic it during Sussexit.

There seems to be this belief that Harry views his mother as an innocent angel that needed to be protected. But I think he's much more cynical than that. He's well aware of the games, he admires them and he wants to use that as blueprint for his own media relations and ambitions. He's just not as talented as his mom at it, because she was more witty and she could control her temper and ego better (at least publicly). I'm sure with the Lainey blind and Finding Freedom, Harry and Meghan thought they were being sly foxes and the public wouldn't see the forest through the trees. But I think it's been more like a bank robber who has left all his DNA and fingerprints all over the crime scene.

It's a bit unfair to ask about Kate in a Meghan thread, in as much as we don't want to get into trouble with the mods.

However, to answer the question about Kate waiting a year to go out with the Queen is a rather unfair statement.
It's not Meghan's thread. It's a thread for a book, Finding Freedom, so if the book mentions how long Catherine had to wait for an engagement with HMQ, I'm pretty sure we're in no trouble here. It is in the book after all.
You are talking about 3 or 4 sentences in the whole book.

I think some of this did come directly from Harry and/or Meghan however not in a nefarious way like some are saying....I do believe there were conversations between RR's and The Sussexes (I think this happens with ALL of the working members of the BRF) while they were doing their various engagements. I rather doubt The Sussexes knew the comment about what one does in the bush (although everyone knows how that works) with no bathroom nearby, it would end up in a book.

LaRae
Honestly, it's not 3-4 sentences in the whole book. It's more like 3-4 sentences per chapter of details so random, no one is truly interested in them/needed to know and that could only come from one source...
Just a few examples:
- the fact that they have been working from their kitchen rather than office in Vancouver
- the unfamous now peeing situation
- texts Meghan sent to her friends from the bathtub
- what yoga positions she did in Africa and what animals she could see
- their morning routine with tea/making organic breakfast

Basically every chapter has a random fact that feels like something out of fanfiction story :lol:

It's a bit unfair to ask about Kate in a Meghan thread, in as much as we don't want to get into trouble with the mods.

However, to answer the question about Kate waiting a year to go out with the Queen is a rather unfair statement.

Freshly back from their honeymoon, William and Catherine were at Buck Palace to welcome President Obama and Michelle Obama. Obviously the Queen was there. Then W & C spent the next year in Wales at Anglesey where William finished off his RAF deployment and then worked as a Search and Rescue pilot. They had engagements back in London during that time and squeezed in a tour to Canada and LA.
Also Zara's wedding. Catherine was also redecorating the cottage in Wales. They had no help that is no cook or housekeeper etc.
So as the couple were busy mostly in Wales the opportunity didn't present itself until April 2012 for Catherine to do an event with the Queen.

I didn't know it was a competition!

Firstly thanks to Fem, you star for answering! I was just trying to get to whether quotes I had seen that could be taken as being, almost, quite dismissive of Kate and putting them up as competition almost could be true and it seems as if they could be.

Secondly, sorry Tarlita, I genuinely didn't realise this "was a Meghan thread" but, as its in the "library" section and specific to the book it would be okay to ask about the general tone of the book. Like Muhler I was doing so to try and work out, if for example there was a feeling H&M had contributed to the book, could that possibly mean Kate may actually be quite hurt by somewhat catty comments about her that seem unnecessarily mean or competitive. I 100% didn't think it was competition between the royal ladies about who went out with the Queen first, I was asking if the book was presenting it as such. To me it seems clear that Meghan was available, there was a theatre visit so it was a perfect fit. But that doesn't seem to be said in the book, yet still throws in the aside that it "took Kate 10 months". I'm not trying to put my thoughts on this at all, I'm trying to see what the authors (and those who may have contributed) are thinking by writing things like that.

My sister is having to self-isolate for 2 weeks after being caught out by the change to quarantine rules on holidays in Spain, and has ordered this book from Amazon as a bit of light relief. So I'll be borrowing it, seeing as I won't have to pay for it, and will see what it's actually like!

If you have any questions about the book shoot, I'll try to answer!

I just saw your message Fem.

No worries, don't feel any pressure - happy for whatever and whenever works for you.

Don't stress if you're unable to look up and post. There has already been so much released from "Finding Freedom" that I feel I've been bathing in it up to the gills these last few days.

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Last edited:
Fantastic Fem, much appreciated.

Does your version have the photos .... are there any new/unique photos included, or are they what we’ve seen before?

Can you share some information about The Queen’s jewel cabinet, that I believe is in the book.

And I’ve seen it reported that the Cambridge’s home is described in some detail - I’m assuming it’s Anmer Hall - and something about William and Kate’s photos.

Any details will be great, thanks again.
Unfortunately my version doesn't have photos, I actually didn't know there was a version with photos, what a shame! :lol: Since I already paid for it, I'd at least get to look at the photos.

So, for Cambridge's home the description is pretty short.
KP:
On the console tables in the foyer, Meghan took in the framed photos of the brothers with their late mother, Diana, family moments with the Queen, and cute snaps of George and Charlotte. Although she had never met the people in the photos before, she had heard a lot about them from Harry. The three of them walked straight past the drawing room, with its neutral color palette accented by important antiques and artwork, and straight to the rear of the first floor and the heart of the Cambridge family home: the kitchen. No fuss, no servants, just the three of them and the tea they were about to drink.
AH:
There, the couple often entertained out of their huge kitchen with its glass-roofed dining area. Friends and family from nearby gathered informally in the inviting space for laid-back meals—a stark departure from lunch at Buckingham Palace or Sandringham, where guests were served by a full staff.
And as far as the jewels, the tiara chosing moment is like two pages, so I can't copy everything, but here are some interesting fragments:
Each tiara is stored in its own safety box within the vault, a basement room about 150 feet long that is split into sections. The large space—its size, proof of the extent of Her Majesty’s collection of hundreds of tiaras, brooches, necklaces, earrings, and other jewels—is not sparse or cold, like a bank’s vault. Instead, it’s well-lit, like a showroom.
With the official title of Personal Assistant, Advisor, and Curator to Her Majesty the Queen (Jewellery, Insignias, and Wardrobe), Angela was the only person other than the crown jeweler who had access to Her Majesty’s personal jewelry collection. From the way each stone was polished to the placement of the matching bracelet, rings, necklace, and tiara upon the pink fabric–lined tray with a lace-trimmed cover, hand-sewn by the monarch’s grandmother Queen Mary—it was clear how much care Angela put into their maintenance.

.. i'm deeply dissapointed, that they talk about security relevant issues - they should know better!!

Unfortunately my version doesn't have photos, I actually didn't know there was a version with photos, what a shame! :lol: Since I already paid for it, I'd at least get to look at the photos.

KP:
AH:
And as far as the jewels, the tiara chosing moment is like two pages, so I can't copy everything, but here are some interesting fragments:

Thank you Fem, very much appreciated.

So interesting about Queen Mary herself having hand-sewed the covers for the jewels, historic in itself and very personal for Her Majesty.

Wonderful that everythig looks more like a showroom than a cold vault.

Must have been a thrill for each grand-daughter, bride to be, who-ever gained access. Would be so beautiful but also, the whole history of each piece.

Great to hear a bit about the Cambridge homes - sounds exactly as I would expect. The hearth is the heart of a house, even though hearths these days are large modern kitchens.

Last edited:
1. If you google Town and Country Caroline Halleman jewelry vault

you'll get the excerpt from the book. (Sorry, I can't do screengrabs)

2. I don't get anyone's voice coming through - it's really bland, but, yes, as said, it's clearly more from Meghan's friends/colleagues than Harry's.

3. What really surprised me is Omid's seeming confirmation that the couple felt there was no place for them in the future Firm, with the Queen's photos really rankling. It seems obvious to me that they were always seen as an integral part of the business model, just that it wasn't a model they wanted to be part of.

4. Harry's fury over the pap photos at Inskip's wedding is absolutely understandable (see William's face when Kate's French photos came out while they were on tour.) I think maybe both men have inherited a little of George vi's famous "gnashes" when the Queen Mother had to calm him down.

5.The British tabloids are vile and so is social media but I've been wondering WHY they both continued to read the articles and comments. Their staff could have read and raised with them any real, unprejudiced criticism that needed to be addressed but Harry and Meghan must have seen on their engagements how popular they were and how much good they were doing, so couldn't that have been their morale booster that would have helped them ignore the Daily Fail and its ilk..

6. The book doesn't really ding Kate. It's snide about her lack of career but there's no real "hate Kate" references.

KP:
AH:

Thanks for sharing. Apart from anything else the prose sounds terrible!

Last edited:

KP:
AH:

Thank you for sharing, Fem. Your quote more or less confirm that the snapshots and screenshots I've seen are not fake one.

I've read several comments about their 1st night nanny was fired on her 2nd night and something about Melissa Toubati. Do you mind to elaborate its context? I mean, this book is supposed to be pro-Sussexes but this bits kind of confirm the "Duchess Difficult" narative ... I'm rather confused.:ermm:

Thank you for sharing, Fem. Your quote more or less confirm that the snapshots and screenshots I've seen are not fake one.

I've read several comments about their 1st night nanny was fired on her 2nd night and something about Melissa Toubati. Do you mind to elaborate its context? I mean, this book is supposed to be pro-Sussexes but this bits kind of confirm the "Duchess Difficult" narative ... I'm rather confused.:ermm:
Sure, let's find it.

About the nanny - nothing is really said about it other than it was a night nurse who was supposed to help in establishing a routine for Archie, but they fired her in the middle of the second night for "being unprofessional and irresponsible". They hired someone else, who was completely fine, but then fired that person too, because they didn't feel comfortable because of the unknown incident with the first one. On a personal note, that's awful for the second person, who got fired because of someone else's mistake that she had absolutely nothing to do with...

As far as Melissa, Meghan was hurt by the tabloid speculations about being difficult and demanding, about the name-calling. According to the book, the Sussexes weren't satisfied with Melissa's work and her departure was fine with them, but Meghan suspected that Melissa's good friends from KP are behind the nasty tabloid rumors and were "more interested in protecting one of their own than her". It also states that the Sussexes were concerned why the Palace isn't doing anything about the stories from that time.

So, uhm, as in the whole damn book, nothing else matters than the Sussexes and their sensitive feelings.

Its interesting because Melissa leaving was if I recall it right, the catalyst for many of the "Duchess difficult" stories and it being why a number of staff left.

I wonder why they were so unhappy with her work and if so why they publicly released such a praising statement about her and her work.

Is that the feeling you get from the book Fem, "nothing else matters than the Sussexes and their sensitive feelings"? Thats the impression I got from the exerts but wondered if that was just the media stiring trouble and the rest of the book put it into context and made it seem less so, maybe not it seems.

There just seem to be so many examples of them putting themselves first before others and speaking publicly (whether to the authors of the book or the many sources who spoke to the authors) about others in a way they wouldn't like being done about themselves.

Is that the feeling you get from the book Fem, "nothing else matters than the Sussexes and their sensitive feelings"? Thats the impression I got from the exerts but wondered if that was just the media stiring trouble and the rest of the book put it into context and made it seem less so, maybe not it seems.

There just seem to be so many examples of them putting themselves first before others and speaking publicly (whether to the authors of the book or the many sources who spoke to the authors) about others in a way they wouldn't like being done about themselves.
Yes, these are my personal feelings about the book. I chose not to read the articles in the media, as I didn't want them to influence my opinion, so I'm not sure what was written about it. I'm gonna read some when (if) I find time.

There's just so many times when both of them, or one of them, feels wronged by other people, media or the universe. Catherine wasn't enthusiastic enough = hurt Meghan, William (and Skippy) questioned the crazy pace of their relationship = hurt Harry, Angela Kelly wasn't available when Meghan wanted = courtiers are at fault, Catherine sent Meghan flowers for her birthday = hurt Meghan, because she wasn't asked how she feels, there's no picture of them during christmas speech = hurt Harry. And I could do this all day.

I don't know if this is something the authors of the book did, because there's literally no other explanation of their actions, or if this is how the Sussexes feel, but every few pages there's something about how their sensitive, sensitive feelings were hurt and they weren't able to do anything about it and no one wanted to help them.

Sure, let's find it.

About the nanny - nothing is really said about it other than it was a night nurse who was supposed to help in establishing a routine for Archie, but they fired her in the middle of the second night for "being unprofessional and irresponsible". They hired someone else, who was completely fine, but then fired that person too, because they didn't feel comfortable because of the unknown incident with the first one. On a personal note, that's awful for the second person, who got fired because of someone else's mistake that she had absolutely nothing to do with...

As far as Melissa, Meghan was hurt by the tabloid speculations about being difficult and demanding, about the name-calling. According to the book, the Sussexes weren't satisfied with Melissa's work and her departure was fine with them, but Meghan suspected that Melissa's good friends from KP are behind the nasty tabloid rumors and were "more interested in protecting one of their own than her". It also states that the Sussexes were concerned why the Palace isn't doing anything about the stories from that time.

So, uhm, as in the whole damn book, nothing else matters than the Sussexes and their sensitive feelings.

I see ... Thank you, Fem. And here I thought it was the usual "stan-war" where they nit-pick and put stuff out of context.

Wow, I guess there's someone who's more difficult than my former boss (with his calling/emailing/assigning task at odd hour like midnight or early morning). Even for the first nanny, it's still strange to fire her only after one night. I mean, there should be something like screening or interview before they hire her, right? Her credential should be known that's why she was hired (and after a fuss about not wanting "uniformed nanny"). In my experience, day 1 in any job is mostly about orientation or getting used with the environment and the job itself, and I think it also applies even for nanny or housekeeper job. I wonder what kind of "unprofessional" thing she did? Dropping Archie? Rummaging a drawer because she still didn't know where they put stuff and they misinterpret it as her try to steal or something?

Somehow I get the impression that they either are too paranoid (it's us against the world) or only want to be surrounded by yes-man as their staff.

Am I the only one on the forum who has zero interest in this book? I was sorry to see Harry leave the RF, but I do think he will be back. Whether his wife is with him when he returns is yet to be determined.

Re: the details of how the jewels are presented to the Queen in lace covered trays sewn by Queen Mary, I know for a fact that was in Angela Kelly's book "Dressing the Queen" so that's in the public domain. I think (memory not 100% on this one) the description of the well lit jewel vault was in that book too. I bought the book and now can't find it so I must have loaned it to someone but can't recall who (so annoying!).

Am I the only one on the forum who has zero interest in this book? I was sorry to see Harry leave the RF, but I do think he will be back. Whether his wife is with him when he returns is yet to be determined.

He might want to come back, but I think he's burnt his bridges now. I think people would have understood that he and Meghan were struggling to cope with royal life, if they'd just gone quietly and in a better organised way, but the way they did it was wrong from the start. There's a strong perception that they disrespected the Queen, expected everyone else to foot their security bills, and have moaned and whinged ever since.

I don't think Meghan will want to come back, so, if Harry does, a small child is going to be caught in a trans-Atlantic tug of war, which would be very sad.

He might want to come back, but I think he's burnt his bridges now. I think people would have understood that he and Meghan were struggling to cope with royal life, if they'd just gone quietly and in a better organised way, but the way they did it was wrong from the start. There's a strong perception that they disrespected the Queen, expected everyone else to foot their security bills, and have moaned and whinged ever since.

I don't think Meghan will want to come back, so, if Harry does, a small child is going to be caught in a trans-Atlantic tug of war, which would be very sad.

Its hard to say. I think they are both hard necked enough to come back, if they don't make their money, and expect Dad to bail them out... Having said that, I think that maybe in a year or 2, Harry may regret leaving and want to come back to the UK genuinely, because he regrets leaving and misses his royal role..but Meg will be doing OK in the US and will be reluctant.. And yes, I suppose that will mean that Archie will be caught in the middle.

When I read the shopping trip story I actually thought it was more to do with the fact that if Meghan and Harry were still below the radar going shopping with Kate would have drawn attention to the relationship, but who knows. Maybe that was the idea. Or maybe Kate just wanted a couple of hours to do her own thing.Nobody actually knows, the only person who is bothered is Meghan.

Whatever Kate’s reasons were, she was entitled to them (I’m not saying this to YOU)....and yet Meghan was bothered. It’s this kind of attitude that would have been making it hard for Kate, would in fact make it hard for anyone, to genuinely befriend Meghan.

No, it shouldn’t be considered rude at all.... but thin-skinned Meghan, who thinks the world revolves around her, thought it was

Does he? He was a boy...and what he remembers only is how the media killed his mum.

Sure, let's find it.

Who is Melissa Toubati?

Last edited by a moderator:
He is not a boy now. If he is aware of the media's role in her death, he must also be aware of the Fayeds' role...and Diana's attempts to manipulate the media. Diana teased the press during her romance with Dodi, and they were all wired up and eager to get pictures of her...
and if he's so stressed by the media as he has claimed.. that every time he heard a camera, it took him back to his mother's death, that is very painful.... so why continue with a public role? Why not decide to lead completely private life, instead of moving to Paparazi city

The personal assistant who left, apparently after "Meghan left her in tears" and she couldn't cope with all the demands.

Yes, these are my personal feelings about the book. I chose not to read the articles in the media, as I didn't want them to influence my opinion, so I'm not sure what was written about it. I'm gonna read some when (if) I find time.

There's just so many times when both of them, or one of them, feels wronged by other people, media or the universe. Catherine wasn't enthusiastic enough = hurt Meghan, William (and Skippy) questioned the crazy pace of their relationship = hurt Harry, Angela Kelly wasn't available when Meghan wanted = courtiers are at fault, Catherine sent Meghan flowers for her birthday = hurt Meghan, because she wasn't asked how she feels, there's no picture of them during christmas speech = hurt Harry. And I could do this all day.

I don't know if this is something the authors of the book did, because there's literally no other explanation of their actions, or if this is how the Sussexes feel, but every few pages there's something about how their sensitive, sensitive feelings were hurt and they weren't able to do anything about it and no one wanted to help them.

None of this surprises me based on reports we’ve heard all along. I suspect it’s how the Sussexes feel, but that the authors deliberately played up because anyone reading the book would likely feel more sympathy to H and M if the general tone was “hurt” instead of “anger”.

Tommy, thanks !

To be honest, I was surprised at his choice for a wife but figured he is a grown man. Its a tough role to take on, regardless of your background, when you haven't been brought up to it. I know Meghan has some press savvy from her career as an actress, but I think you don't really "get" what a constricted goldfish bowl Royal life really is until you are dropped into it.

As for Harry, Hollywood must seem like an alien planet to him. This thing with Harry having an axe to grind with the media and blaming them for his mother's death. I get how traumatic it would have been for him as a child, but he's not a child any more is he. William has moved on, Harry should have by now as well. Perhaps he genuinely needs therapy and if so, I hope he gets it.

Having said that, I wish them well, [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you Merrie. The general consensus when they married was to wish them well and hope that the marriage worked out. The public had a soft spot and a protectiveness towards Harry, despite his foolish youth, especially seeing how hard he worked in the armed forces.
I know they say opposites attract but this was one couple that seemed very ill-matched and one can't help thinking now with how things are evolving that Meghan was in this with a view to playing the role of her life in some royal drama.
Let's see what the future holds.

A question for those who read the book:

Assuming H&M were more or less involved in this book and as such it's content, who is really talking?
Predominantly Meghan?
Harry?
Both?
None?

And who do you think was behind what in particular?

On other boards, people are saying that the prose in the book is very similar to the prose Meghan used on The Tig

according to a press article the german version of the book says at the end,
the authors did possibly talk to the couple themselves , possibly in the sense of "when necessary or for detailed information ". same in the english version?
thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Okay - just a few things.
1. Archie mimicking the wildlife noises in Cape Town at the ambassador’s house. The ambassador lives in a very nice part of Cape Town but it is no where near wildlife - only thing anyone in South Africa thinks the kid could of heard was maybe a hadidar which a baby can’t replicate.
2. The place that Harry frequents in Botswana is well known in Southern Africa. It also has a well maintained and kept shower and toilet block - there was no need for Meghan to pee in the veld. Saying she did is making everyone who knows the place shake thier head. Also in most of these places you are told not to pee in the bush, large cats and elephants don’t like the smell. So South Africans who read this think it is a bunch of blooey.

That been said - 2 questions. Can the Mail in their defense call Omid and ask if Meghan’s friends spoke to him and if those friends had been given permission to do so by the Sussex’s. Also the extract of the letter to her father - can they say that Meghan gave him permission, even if the letter was now out in the public?
Oddly enough most of my friends where more intrigued about what wasn’t covered by the book . There was lots of glaring omissions apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom