Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost finished with the book.

It's incredible, in a way. I honestly think the authors are drinking the kool-aid when Meghan is concerned, but somehow in an attempt to make everyone but her and Harry look bad, they made especially the Sussexes look really bad.

I don't believe they didn't cooperate with this book. The level of unimportant details is astonishing - who would've known they've spent most of their time working from the kitchen in Canada, where Meghan peed in Africa, just stop, please. While they're giving us this kind of details, the authors are skimming over the things you simply can't explain without blaming the Sussexes and it's pretty obvious when you read it.

I'm also wondering about one thing - while it was reported the conflict was mostly between the brothers, most of the vitriol is directed at Catherine, not William. I wonder what Harry feels now about the treatment of the "big sister he never had".

I just find it hilarious that the book's hagiography of Meghan literally involves the the phrase "she was so perfect everyone thought she was fake because it was impossible for anyone to be that perfect."

I mean if you were writing satire it would be hard to come up with anything funnier.

And instances where they were in the wrong like announcing their pregnancy at Eugenie's wedding is described as a minor social gaffe and the only time and place they could *possibly* do it but Eugenie would have pages of outrage heaped down on her head if the shoe had been on the other foot. And of course many other instances where they at least have some responsibility for how things turned out or they might have been flat out wrong are not even discussed.

I can see William being eager to meet Meghan for many reasons and trying to be welcoming whilst also being privately (so he thought!) very cautious about the speed everything was going.

I was actually hoping the book would dive deeper into the mental health aspects of it all but so far, no.

Last edited:
I just find it hilarious that the book's hagiography of Meghan literally involves the the phrase "she was so perfect everyone thought she was fake because it was impossible for anyone to be that perfect."

I mean if you were writing satire it would be hard to come up with anything funnier.

And instances where they were in the wrong like announcing their pregnancy at Eugenie's wedding is described as a minor social gaffe and the only time and place they could *possibly* do it but Eugenie would have pages of outrage heaped down on her head if the shoe had been on the other foot. And of course many other instances where they at least have some responsibility for how things turned out or they might have been flat out wrong are not even discussed.

I can see William being eager to meet Meghan for many reasons and trying to be welcoming whilst also being privately (so he thought!) very cautious about the speed everything was going.

I was actually hoping the book would dive deeper into the mental health aspects of it all but so far, no.

If you are a fanatical fan (as the Omid author) or very egocentric, the phrase doesn't sound out of place.
For the fan it's the gospel truth.
For the egocentric it's a sweet (and pretty true) compliment.

Reactions: Fem
[...]

[...] I really don't need to know that Meghan went behind a bush when there was no toilet available. Talk about too much information! Sounds like the author of this book's got an obsession with lavatorial-related matters .

Totally agree.

It comes across as adolescent. - Peeing = giggle.

A woman pee in a forest, big deal. But unless there is a good story to that, like Meghan seeing a Black Mamba moving towards her while doing her business, there is IMO absolutely no reason to mention it.

Last edited:
The more I read the more I'm struck by how H&M vigorously claim they are entitled to privacy for themselves but have breached a lot of people's privacy in this book by including a lot of detail of private conversations, locations etc. Whether that has been given directly to the authors or the authors have picked it up from friends and other "sources" what is clear is that H&M are happy to tell private details about themselves and others to an impossibly wide circle of people whilst at the same time acting upset and hurt when those details make their way into the media.

Its rather like I said before in regards to them feeling they have their right to happiness yet causing untold upset and sadness to their families by allowing this book to go ahead - very much "we deserve this but others don't" and "do as we say not as we do" seems to permeate through the book.

I.e:
why shouldn't we be allowed to overshadow W&K, C&C and even HM vs its okay for us to overshadow Eugenie on her big day

The men in grey suits are so mean and horrible vs HM who employs them and trusts them to represent her is so lovely and understanding

We had no support at all vs HM gave Meghan a master class in being Royal, Meghan talked to so many people about protocol and etiquette and William fought for them to have their own court and independence

Personally I believe the high level of personal detail is meant as a sig that H&M have - in whatever way - gone along with the book.

Last edited:
Some more snippets that stood out for me -

* The Prince had a major emotional episode when attending the wedding in Jamaica after the couple were photographed embracing on their balcony. Ms Markle had never seen it this bad before. Usually she had been the only one who could calm him down, but this was another level.

* The couple hid out at the Mulroney house when news of their relationship came out.

* The Duchess had her mother Ms Ragland notify her father of Archie's birth, so he didn't hear about it from the media.

* Meghan's first husband attended the Oscars, but there was only the one ticket so she couldn't go.

* The Duchess took her son to baby classes while in the UK, and everyone there was wide-eyed, all the mothers and the two fathers. (Note the detail.)

* The Duchess would call prayer-circles together on the set of "Suits".

Such insights.

The details, the perspective, the name-dropping, the brand names, so much more than I ever expected when this book was first announced.

I will now be interested in seeing if the big court case is resolved, or if it will indeed go ahead.

I think the Duke and Duchess really want their "side" of things out there.

I won't be shocked if they go on to using the up-coming case as another avenue, much along the lines of the book. They didn't hold back here, so I can't now see them withdrawing the case.

Double-down, double-down.

So it's not unusual with Harry having "emotional episodes" where he is very difficult to calm down?
- On the face of it, it sounds like he is in need of therapy. I.e. he habitually can't control his emotions.
We can all lose it sometimes, but to lose it regularly is another matter.

IMO another little piece in the puzzle named Harry.

So it's not unusual with Harry having "emotional episodes" where he is very difficult to calm down?
- On the face of it, it sounds like he is in need of therapy. I.e. he habitually can't control his emotions.
We can all lose it sometimes, but to lose it regularly is another matter.

IMO another little piece in the puzzle named Harry.

what was he getting so upset about? That he was pictured with his girlfriend? Unless one of them was naked, I can't see what the big upset would be for....

I’d imagine given the super private details about the Cambridge’s home, William may feel his privacy has been invaded too.

If you mean their KP home, the authors could have described the interior by viewing photos of it online or speaking to others who've been there. I agree it would be an invasion of privacy if there were descriptions from H&M which hadn't previously been published but is this the case here?

True Kate is taking most of the incoming. But again everyone is taking a hit one way or another. With complaints of Harry and Meghan not suing I don't see any member of the BRF unleashing the lawyers and some members have sued before. Either they have to prove Harry and Meghan talked to Scobie and Durand or the Sussexes gave permission for the friends to talk. Or the BRF continue to use their press contacts to put out their side.

But we're getting bits and pieces. I would like to read the book entirely to put it all together.

I don't plan on reading the book, but could someone tell me if there are information that Sussexes could sue over? Knowing how they like sueing over every small thing it'll be very telling if they don't sue the authors.

If you mean their KP home, the authors could have described the interior by viewing photos of it online or speaking to others who've been there. I agree it would be an invasion of privacy if there were descriptions from H&M which hadn't previously been published but is this the case here?

The few pictures we ever got of KP insides were of public areas.
The descriptions refer to the Cambridge’s private quarters! Going as far as talking about family pictures.
It does not matter it is common practice, for people to have family pictures, the fact it is spoken about in this book, when it also has zero relevance to the story.

No matter how you spin it, this book has violated several peoples privacy.

I don't plan on reading the book, but could someone tell me if there are information that Sussexes could sue over? Knowing how they like sueing over every small thing it'll be very telling if they don't sue the authors.

I would argue at least a 1/4 to 1/2 of the book is filled with private and personal information that can only come from either: the Sussexes, super close friends, or if they were being watched/hacked.

The Sussexes not coming out against this book, is the biggest tell some transfer of information was passed between them and the writers.

I don't plan to read it either.
Though in a sense, I feel I have read it, since so much has been reported about it.
Sounds like a combination of a hatchet job and a puff piece, so I'll pass.

I'm looking forward to the Lacey book; hopefully it will give a more balanced view.

The few pictures we ever got of KP insides were of public areas.
The descriptions refer to the Cambridge’s private quarters! Going as far as talking about family pictures.
It does not matter it is common practice, for people to have family pictures, the fact it is spoken about in this book, when it also has zero relevance to the story.

No matter how you spin it, this book has violated several peoples privacy.

There are photos online of their drawing room (the one mentioned in the book) eg when the Obamas visited. Members of the press have been in the apartment for other events so the photos on the console in the foyer might have been spotted by others. Presumably, they've also had domestic staff in there too.

I'm not trying to "spin" anything. Quite the reverse, I always seek the facts before making judgements and it's not clear that H & M passed on private details of William's home. If it becomes apparent that they have, then of course that would be a betrayal of family privacy.

If it comes to a return I can see The Queen or the PoW as King taking them back in. Charles is too afraid of being perceived as a bad father etc. etc. not to offer an olive branch. If the various reports are true of the bad blood between the Cambridges and Sussexes I don't think that the former have any trust in the latter to allow them back in with a public role.

I don’t believe Charles would offer an olive branch just to keep on the good side of the public (which doesn’t jibe anyway as the public are against Harry and Meghan); he’d do it because he loves his son. He and HM already have their arms wide one should the Sussexes ever want to return...

I am enjoying it while feeling increasing levels of bile. The digestion will suffer.

In seriousness. It is the end online her in the UK. I don't know it will play in America. I haven't heard anything that makes me think Harry will be affected yet. Apart form the damage already done. For instance my brother is a similar age to Harry, and while not overtly into the royals, always liked Harry. Thought he did good work, was brave. Admired him going to Irag or Afghanistan or whatever. He is just let down by him now an said he just walked away from his reapinsibilities. And I think that is it for people who grew up with him. We are all getting older and we have increasing responsibilities. And it is a mark of a green up to stick with them.

I don't know how this will play for her in America. But she is coming across a intolerable.

As an American, I feel comfortable saying that this book’s impact is being overrated. It’s not getting any press coverage that I can see - and for good reason: we have rather pressing problems. Plus, Joe Biden announced his Vice President. People all across his country are still without jobs (including me), COVID is still destroying lives, and we have a Presidential election coming up. Even in the best of circumstances, most Americans wouldn’t give a fig about Meghan and Harry....their fans would, but no one else. Will people buy it to read and pass the time? Maybe, but if they do, I’m positive that they will not walk away feeling good about H and M.

well, I'd say tehy are being cautious. If Harry and Meg want to return ona private level, they will be welcomed. However, I think they'll have to be cautious about what basis they return on.. what money will they have? Will they return to work? If tehy dont work what are they going to do? Having had a taste of independence, they may not be able to retrun to a quiet life

From the excerpts I'm reading here I'd like to ask:

Would you consider this book in any way to be to the advantage of H&M?

The impression I have, and please correct me where I'm wrong, is that H&M directly or indirectly, are explaining the reasons behind their exit from the BRF.

- And my impression is that it backfires totally in that respect.

- It is also my impression that there is a lot of blame for H&M's exit directed at named persons, in particular W&K, but also at least one close friend and senior members of the BRF, Charles and indirectly QEII.
There are as far as I understand no comments from these persons to explain their version.
As such I believe this book will widen the gap between in particular Harry and his close family - and some of his old friends. I.e. there is no olive-branch in this book. At all!

If this book is made with the co-operation with H&M, and approval of H&M, then I simply don't understand it from any possible rational angle.
A number of details from this book, contains so many details that from a logic point of view can only come from H&M, or people who have been told by H&M or seen what happened with their own eyes.
A couple of intimate details, okay, that could "artistic license" or gossip, but so many intimate details? To me it can only be based on at least a considerable co-operation or approval by H&M themselves.

The conclusion I have reached so far, from the excerpts here is something I have already suggested: H&M have an alarmingly distorted view of themselves and the events that led to their exit.
It is very difficult for me to interpret it otherwise.

I think I will try at some point to be the Devil's Advocate and try and defend H&M as much as I can, to get a different perspective. From a personal view it sometimes helps me to understand.

So if you are game, I will for the next few hours be more defensive of H&M than Omid.
So bring it on! :D

True Kate is taking most of the incoming. But again everyone is taking a hit one way or another. With complaints of Harry and Meghan not suing I don't see any member of the BRF unleashing the lawyers and some members have sued before. Either they have to prove Harry and Meghan talked to Scobie and Durand or the Sussexes gave permission for the friends to talk. Or the BRF continue to use their press contacts to put out their side.

The BRF isn’t going to sue for two reasons. One, they know as well as we do that Harry and Meghan either directly or indirectly provided information for the book. They would have to be willing, essentially, to sue their own son/brother, because that’s where a lawsuit would lead, very quickly. Harry has shown with this book that he’s willing to publicly trash his family to further his own ends but that’s a line a lot of people wouldn’t be willing to cross.

Second, a Cambridge vs Sussex lawsuit would provoke a feeding frenzy in the press that would make the Charles vs Diana years look like summer camp. The press would think they’d died and gone to heaven, while everyone involved in the lawsuit would suffer.

IF (big IF for some) H&M have been involved with the book then they have been quite clever as there is really no way for the RF to hit back - any direct reaction from the RF or those around them would get H&M to point to his being the RF being unkind, trashing them in the media etc, on the other hand they get their side of the story out to the public whilst being able to claim they had nothing to do with it. Whichever may it plays they "win" (as I believe they'd see it)

That is in part why I think the RF are basically ignoring the book - don't let it seem like you are bothered and just keep going on ignoring it rather than giving more fuel for the fire.

I have not read the book so will limit my comment to an observation. If I am reading the media and the threads correctly a friend of Harry is named. Not a member of the RF but a private citizen. Why is it acceptable for this person to be named or would he have given permission to be named. Or maybe it depends in what context he was named. I would be interested in the views of those of you who have read the book and understand the context.

:lol: they win financially and isn't that what they wanted most?
I guess a book which was simply pro h&m had not sold well, because if you like them anyway you don't need to buy books&stuff unless you are fanatic, but if you dislike somebody and want to fuel your opinion..... :D at least M. knows how to make money

How do they "win financially?" They are not the authors of hte book...

From the excerpts I'm reading here I'd like to ask:

Would you consider this book in any way to be to the advantage of H&M?
No I wouldn't. In order to be to their advantage, it would have to increase the amount of interest in them and their popularity. The totally disinterested, the fervent supporters, and the vociferous detractors won't be affected because there's no news so huge as to change their minds significantly. Most people are probably somewhere in the middle and IMO, despite setting the record straight on some falsehoods, this book unwittingly portrays H & M as hugely privileged, emotionally self-indulgent and at times, delusional.

The impression I have, and please correct me where I'm wrong, is that H&M directly or indirectly, are explaining the reasons behind their exit from the BRF.

- And my impression is that it backfires totally in that respect.
I agree with you. My overall impression from the book is that the main reasons they left were because they didn't take advice which would have helped them, they didn't accept the need for their work to always be a lesser priority than William's or that it's acceptable for BP & KP to ensure that they don't eclipse the direct heirs.

My thoughts:-

1. It's really badly written and edited. Does no one proof read at publishers any more? Missing words and ungrammatical sentences that don't make sense + the "fall" for autumn and "gotten" for "got" that make it clear what market it's aimed at.

2. It takes until p306 of a 347p book to get to the "half in , half out" and subsequent exit chapter, which, frankly, is what most people, I think, are interested in. And there's nothing revelatory there - or, really, anywhere in the book.

3. Except (for me) information on the the Queen's jewel vault (about Meghan selecting her wedding tiara from 5 offered). Just a few lines, but I don't remember reading about it before (and am not sure it should have been included).

4. Of course they're not going to sue. There are hundreds of unauthorised books about royals cf Lady Colin Campbell's (which has a blatant lie on the very first page) and , unless they contain material which is so damaging that it's criminally actionable. the RF don't sue.

5. I found it a sad book in many ways, with such potential wasted for what seems small and "get-over-able" reasons..

I agree with you. My overall impression from the book is that the main reasons they left were because they didn't take advice which would have helped them, they didn't accept the need for their work to always be a lesser priority than William's or that it's acceptable for BP & KP to ensure that they don't eclipse the direct heirs.

Being the Devil's Advocate:

M&H have perhaps expressed themselves a little clumsily, but their vision and approach was correct and justified.
It's not a question of overshadowing someone or rank or precedence.

It's teamwork.

In a modern monarchy that is both national (Britain) and international (foreign relations, in particular the Commonwealth) it is necessary, crucial, to have teams that can work on pretty much equal footing and who both overlap and complement each other.
Team W&K dealing with the more national topics and topics related to the dynasty.
While team H&M deal with the more global and international issues, where the high profile of the BRF will add extra weight.

That the senior BRF members, and alas, seemingly William as well, failed to see and embrace these progressive visions for a modern, globalized monarchy, surely must be down to lack of foresight and lack of visions, perhaps even a stiff and dusty outlook.
Given the global situation is so many respects, things cannot wait until tomorrow. Change must happen today, now!

how did they engage in all this "Progressive vision" stuff when they walked out of hte job within 18 months?

how did they engage in all this "Progressive vision" stuff when they walked out of hte job within 18 months?

The Devil's Advocate:

They tried. They tried hard.
But you cannot change what will not be changed, however yesteryear it is.

H&M had a choice: To either remain in a system that was suffocating for visionaries and that didn't utilize their full potential. A deeply conservative and ever more globally irrelevant system.

Or to provide and work within an alternative. I.e. not focus on national issues within the narrow confines of the BRF, but set up their own, global and globally relevant, alternative, that could easily co-operate with the BRF, in particular W&K - without "overshadowing them."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom