Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason this has been tough for HM and Charles is because it's so personal, but in terms of the affects this will have on them as Queen and heir, in terms of the affects it will have on the "Firm", the BRF, the Institution as a whole.......they're fine.

I couldn't agree more about Harry and Meghan being in a gilded cage. Whatever success they may have, however glamorous their lives, I can't help thinking that a part of Harry will always long for what he gave up (family, in a big way). They felt they could get the attention they craved by escaping to the US, but.....the Queen, PoW, the Cambridges will always be the ones the spotlight lands on; they will always be center stage. Whatever relevance H and M have, it's in relation to the BRF.
I really think the worst for Harry must have been the way his big function in the Army has been stripped.
As far as the book, is anyone remotely interested where she peed in Africa ?:whistling:

I really don’t understand this _ yes this is for the American market but you really have to be pretty mindless to read this and continue her adoration.
That been said , confused by the editors here. Expected more from Harper Collins my have standards dropped. Yes I expected this from Omid but Carolyn is actually a good journalist. I really don’t get the purpose of this book.
I do worry if things don’t work out as planned as hoped_ then what. This is an example of digging a hole for yourself to get out of. I just hope that their talent matches their egos.

Yes, exactly, here's the quote:

Unfortunately it's an ebook so I can't really recycle it or sell it or burn it to cleanse my mind, but since I paid for it, I'm gonna read it and enjoy it, even if only because it paints Sussexes in such a bad light. Omid is really not doing them any favours with this one...

You can return ebooks, at least on amazon for any kindle books- you usually have a week to return it. If not a kindle, check the return policy on the website you bought it from.

Some more snippets that stood out for me -

* The Prince had a major emotional episode when attending the wedding in Jamaica after the couple were photographed embracing on their balcony. Ms Markle had never seen it this bad before. Usually she had been the only one who could calm him down, but this was another level.

* The couple hid out at the Mulroney house when news of their relationship came out.

* The Duchess had her mother Ms Ragland notify her father of Archie's birth, so he didn't hear about it from the media.

* Meghan's first husband attended the Oscars, but there was only the one ticket so she couldn't go.

* The Queen pulled Meghan aside and reprimanded her for the way she spoke to staff when testing the dishes for the up-coming wedding.

The Duchess took her son to baby classes while in the UK, and everyone there was wide-eyed, all the mothers and the two fathers. (Note the detail.)

* The Duchess would call prayer-circles together on the set of "Suits".

Such insights.

The details, the perspective, the name-dropping, the brand names, so much more than I ever expected when this book was first announced.

I will now be interested in seeing if the big court case is resolved, or if it will indeed go ahead.

I think the Duke and Duchess really want their "side" of things out there.

I won't be shocked if they go on to using the up-coming case as another avenue, much along the lines of the book. They didn't hold back here, so I can't now see them withdrawing the case.

Double-down, double-down.
Camilla Tominey reported that there is a note in the book that does state that the authors "when appropriate" spoke to the Sussexes. Have you come across that blurb yet?

I would say that there is a gagging clause that they had to sign up to when they left. They can go political a bit if they want to but I'm sure they are debarred from talking about the RF...
I would say that Charles would be prepared still to give them the allowance that they had, ie around £2M, and if they cant manage on that, or earn more, I suppose they may have to come back.. I dot really think Ch will cut them loose but that's because H is his son.... and I suppose he can use giving them money (whether in the UK or US) to keep them under control. I think that Meg will moan a bit but she'll follow the money...
I think there are parallels with the Windsors indeed...and perhaps with the Yorks. Fergie too felt she couldn't abide by the rules of the RF and she left, believing she could get another rich husband.. but she couldn't. Meg has managed to leave but taking Harry with her.
I agree that perhaps Harry is in the same position as the DOW, that he's left his royal role which was all he knew for a life of exile.. He does seem dominated by Meghan and one wonders if he really wanted things to happen quite like this.. Or myabe he did but will he continue feeling like that for long?
If so, it looks like they broke that agreement with "Finding Freedom".

I really think the worst for Harry must have been the way his big function in the Army has been stripped.
As far as the book, is anyone remotely interested where she peed in Africa ?:whistling:

Only the animals who think she’s marking her territory :D:D:D

Or he thinks that people don't like his idol. The idol he worships and (almost desperately?) clings on to. Meghan.
You try take the most precious idol a shaman has and ridicule it in front of him. Don't expect a positive response!

Perhaps I too have been entirely wrong about Harry?

I used to see Harry as a bloke. A guy you'd have fun with, share a beer with and dirty stories. And feel happy for when he finally settled down with someone he loved and hopefully had a family of his own.
I have known and know several "Harrys."
A guy with flaws, but also a good heart, a mate you could count on and relate to.

But he sure has changed! More than the "Harrys" I know.

So what is happening?

In no particular order, but just going through my mind:
A) He is having personal issues. And they have become more pronounced than beforehand where he was able to hide it from the public.
We may be seeing some kind of breakdown?

B) We are finally seeing the genuine Harry. The facade is down. This is his true self. A self previously only known to a very few. A very self-centered Harry.
And Meghan is somehow caught up in this whirlwind of events.

C) Harry has seen the light. The light here being Meghan, or perhaps rather an idol, who happens to be a human being named Meghan. Everything positive in this world is personified in Meghan, she is his anchor.
You cannot argue with someone who has seen the light. The world has become binary, it's 0 or 1.
Such an epiphany is not unusual.

D) Meghan is a very skilled and ruthless manipulator, who has managed somehow to manipulate Harry to do her bidding. He has become her slave and she has managed to separate Harry from family and friends in order to control him.

E) Two very self-centered individuals have met and they together have created a distorted view of themselves and the world around them, not to mention their own importance in this surreal world.
They fuel each other. And they cannot accept people who differ from or criticize what H&M are doing, because what they are doing is right and just.
They need people around them who can confirm their worldview and their importance.
This book was supposed to vindicate H&M and in rational eyes it's a PR-disaster!
But if you turn it around and look at the book through completely self-centered eyes, then it makes more sense. It makes perfect sense to cut off your brother and one of your very best friends for slighting you - surely everybody can see that?!?

F) Harry is right. William and Tom Inskip are racist/snobbish. The British press is most unreasonable and borderline racist. The British public (in particular) is wrong and petty.
H&M's requests were reasonable. Their visions and the ideas they wish to promote are right, important and worthy of a global audience.
H&M should not waste their lives, visions and voices on mere national issues, when there are much more important global issues to address.

G) Your suggestion.

- These are the - sad - possibilities that are in my mind at present.

I think it is a combination of D & E and also I will add a G. I don't think Harry has ever come to terms with the death of his mother. He pretty much said he had not when he mentioned thinking of her every time a camera clicks (if I am remembering that statement correctly). This is affecting every experience he has.

Last edited:
Of course can marry who he wants, I said time and time again in my post he should do so, this was about saying that some of the unhappiness they are experiencing could have been avoided in various ways.

I suspect there are very very few women the Queen would not have given her consent to (and those she wouldn't would have to be some sort of criminals or the like). This isn't about technicalities and legality but about them having a better life and things turning out better than they did. William asking his brother if he is sure and if he wouldn't be better to wait and give it more time is nothing to do with HM not giving consent, its a concerned man asking his brother to be 100% sure, that is what any family should or would do especially given the circumstances of a long distance relationship and marrying into the RF.

I'm not sure where "royal households giving orders to courtiers to leave negative stories to the press to force Meghan into line was a wrong call." comes from as I don't see any evidence of that.

I'm not going to argue and argue I jus think this jumping to the "legal options" and HM not giving consent is the sort of extreme attitude that has led H&M to the current sad situation we have seen. We don't have to jump to extremes, HM would be very unlikely not to give consent to the marriage, that doesn't mean the family may not be asking Harry to wait and see or slow things down. Remember even HM was asked to wait and see if Philip truly was the one, she did and he was.

Muhler - I agree, I think most people would want to be 100% sure they know how the "family business" they are marrying into works before committing. Given how prepared about many things Meghan seems to be, I'm quite surprised about her willingly jumping into the RF so quickly. I certainly think Harry influenced her views on it with his own negative thinking, probably heightened having seen W&K become the golden couple due to their path in live meaning they are future King & Queen.

I totally agree. I remember during William & Kate's engagement interview William commented on the reason it took so long for him to propose is that he wanted Kate to see what she was getting into and give her a chance to run if she wanted (not William's exact words, but that was the jist of it). I believe that is exactly what William was thinking when he encouraged Harry to wait and be sure.

Let me ask a question: is there anyone who has something positive to say about this book?

Let me ask a question: is there anyone who has something positive to say about this book?

Well, you're willing to cherry pick instead of see the big picture, the peeing in the wood part, then the part where she carefully some shop (forget the name) and carefully picked shoes base on its price, can be some sort of proof that Meghan is not a diva.

Then their morning coffee ritual part and all details of their dates (and details of how Harry felt/feels about her) can indicate how in love they are and as a justification for their PDAs.

The part about how they don't want to have a live-in staff also shows about how they perceive their privacy (no intrusion, after all staffs are stangers who can leak any story to the press).

PS: I haven't read the book nor want to buy it, just read several screenshot/scanned/snaps of pages of the book circulating around in social media.
And I've read worse fanfictions than the aformentioned scanned pages above. But in term of "flowery" words, maybe they should pick Katie Nichole instead.

And maybe if Omid insists that the Sussexes have nothing to do with this book, then don't put that they interviewed them in the Author Notes (just forgo it or add another remarks that the said interviews were in capacity as reporter, not for book making as space to slither when necessary).

Well I haven't read the book just the excerpts but the book was meant to make them look good. And it just doesn't. Maybe if they weren't a couple who loves to point their rich fingers at me and lecture me then retreat back into their life of luxury.

Last edited:
Unless I've missed something, I'm not recognising some of the references here to the "peeing in the woods" bit. This didn't happen when at the campsite with en suite facilities. It happened when they left the site for safaris (including camping out overnight) and according to a friend, Harry was "delightfully surprised by Meghan's down-to-earth attitude. While camping, she cleaned her face with baby wipes and happily wandered into the woodlands if she needed a bathroom break". There isn't anything else you can do on safari of course but it seems Harry was pleased she didn't make a fuss about it.

* The Queen pulled Meghan aside and reprimanded her for the way she spoke to staff when testing the dishes for the up-coming wedding.
I don't think this is in the book at all. Where did you see it?

Perhaps this is how posterity will remember her - the woman who peed in the forest! I hope it wasn't a habit when she was at home in Windsor Great Park!

On a serious note this book sounds like the worst kind of editorial trash in years about a royal. Agree they should sue is they didn't collaborate, and if they did they have some big questions to answer to Harry's family. The longer this goes on the more difficult to imagine them, or even Harry alone returning to full time duties as a member of the BRF.

[...]

[...] I really don't need to know that Meghan went behind a bush when there was no toilet available. Talk about too much information! Sounds like the author of this book's got an obsession with lavatorial-related matters .

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this is in the book at all. Where did you see it?

I think you're right Lilyflo.

I think I saw it in amongst this stream of updates in "The Sun" -

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/1272224/meghan-markle-prince-harry-latest-news-finding-freedom/

"The Independent" had a very good stream too, three pages, updating items as they read through the book last night -

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...om-news-live-review-omid-scobie-a9663691.html

I'll remove it from my post up-thread if I stil have access to it.

Last edited:
Camilla Tominey reported that there is a note in the book that does state that the authors "when appropriate" spoke to the Sussexes. Have you come across that blurb yet?

Sorry Queen Claude, I don't have the book.

I used to be a Clooney fan, I mean over a decade long fan (and i’m not much younger than Harry) he has always guarded his privacy to the point he rarely speaks about his private life, only the odds bits and pieces.
There’s enough info there that he may feel his privacy violated, especially if he did not give permission.

why would he be bohtered about a story about them visiting if it was 2 years ago

He absolutely has the right to talk all he wants but Harry knows very well that none of the current working members of the BRF can respond to the claims in the book, even if they’re outright lies. He grew up in this family, he’s funded by the family and he continues to benefit greatly from being part of the family. He also left of his own free will for a life that was supposed to make him happier and more fulfilled.

So it seems pretty low for him to take shots at his brother and sister in law in such a public way, knowing they can’t defend themselves. It’s like punching someone who has his hands tied behind his back. It makes him look like a mean spirited bully.

no i was talking about his "Political " talk... I said that if he had come to believe in Meg's "lefty" viewpoint, he had a right to talk about it, if he has really left royal life...(though I think he'd be better to wait a bit, learn more and then if he wanted to talk about political issues, it might be a better time to do it.

Last edited:

It's in the Authors' Note towards the end and it refers to the range of sources they've spoken to as part of royal reporting, which I'm sure Ms Tominey is familiar with as a royal reporter herself. They speak with the royals on tours and visits 'when appropriate' and unless what is said is strictly off the record, presumably they can use it in any articles or books they write.

Perhaps this is how posterity will remember her - the woman who peed in the forest! I hope it wasn't a habit when she was at home in Windsor Great Park!

On a serious note this book sounds like the worst kind of editorial trash in years about a royal. Agree they should sue is they didn't collaborate, and if they did they have some big questions to answer to Harry's family. The longer this goes on the more difficult to imagine them, or even Harry alone returning to full time duties as a member of the BRF.

I dont think it will bother the 2 of them.. if the RF are willing to take them back. I think they'll just come home if they really feel they need to.. though I dont think it will sit well with Meghan. However when I saw her at the Commonwealth service, I really did get a vibe that although she was unhappy with her royal life, she was quite capable of stifling that, if the money making didn't work out and she and H had to turn back to Charles. mY initial feeling that she's fakey and insincere has doubled since the uproar happened.

If the Cambridges were part of the smear campaign they had it coming. Dad has been exposed in potentially another lie in regards to Archie. So far Daily Mail has not reported the Dad story, maybe because of the lawsuit, but you know they are checking out that chapter to see if there is anything in it that could help or hurt it's case. Trevor was brought up because the media dragged him in first and the tabloids claimed Meghan up and dumped her husband for no reason. Meghan and Harry stepped on the rake on the pregnancy announcement at Eugenie's wedding,. but she announced her congratulations to the Sussexes.

Again everyone messed up here.

https://etcanada.com/news/678302/finding-freedom-prince-harry-always-wanted-out-of-the-institution/

In fact, Prince William comes across warmer that one would think from the past feuding brother headlines. While the two had their differences, William was welcoming to Meghan the first time they met.
“I was looking forward to meeting the girl who has put that silly grin on my brother’s face,” William said to Meghan the first time they met.
William was also a huge advocate for the couple when the Cambridges and Sussexes split households. It was Prince Charles who “controlled the purse strings” and seeing that William is heir, it was natural that additional funds for projects would go to him first.
Prince Charles wanted the split to be “cost neutral”, but aides told the authors “William fought to make sure that enough resources were allocated from the budget for the newly established Sussex household to have a proper working space and a suitable communications budget.”
Adding, “Over several weeks, William and his dedicated private secretary, Simon Case, attended meetings with senior Buckingham Palace aides to ensure that Harry and Meghan received the best deal possible.”
Doesn't sound like a smear campaign to me.

I doubt if William was all that sanguine about Meghan. He seems to have advised H to take it slow.. Harry didn't listen... and Im sure that there was a little tension over the feeling that William was a bit uneasy..
So I'd say Will approached Meghan warily hoping that she WAS indeed a nice woman who woudl continue to make his brother happy and that she'd be able to take on royal life, without too much strain.

From what I've seen in social media (screenshot of ebook or snapshot of hardprint), maybe she was referring to the Authors' Note.

Here's the link of a tweet with a screenshot one:

I've seen lots of screenshots and snapshots of various pages circulating in twitter and IG (and maybe in few days someone will even put the ebook version somewhere to be downloaded for free by whoever who want it).

I dont think it will bother the 2 of them.. if the RF are willing to take them back. I think they'll just come home if they really feel they need to.. though I dont think it will sit well with Meghan. However when I saw her at the Commonwealth service, I really did get a vibe that although she was unhappy with her royal life, she was quite capable of stifling that, if the money making didn't work out and she and H had to turn back to Charles. mY initial feeling that she's fakey and insincere has doubled since the uproar happened.

If it comes to a return I can see The Queen or the PoW as King taking them back in. Charles is too afraid of being perceived as a bad father etc. etc. not to offer an olive branch. If the various reports are true of the bad blood between the Cambridges and Sussexes I don't think that the former have any trust in the latter to allow them back in with a public role.

If it comes to a return I can see The Queen or the PoW as King taking them back in. Charles is too afraid of being perceived as a bad father etc. etc. not to offer an olive branch. If the various reports are true of the bad blood between the Cambridges and Sussexes I don't think that the former have any trust in the latter to allow them back in with a public role.

I think that Charles will take them back because he loves Harry, not because he's afraid of being seen as a bad father.. but I HOPE he'll be wary of using H again on the working rota. I think that the Cambridge's are more wary of Harry and Especially of Meg.. I think that they DO think now, "she's bad news, she's not going to fit in or be a reliable working Duchess.. and she may walk out or say something stupid, or just cause trouble... again."
Charles - exactly how he wuld play it, I don't know.. He may feel that he NEEDS his 2 sons working.. and be prepared to give H another chance.. but personally I wouldn't. I would say "If they do fail at money makng and come back, make things very clear.. DONT use them for royal work, they are not reliable..."
ANd I'd be cautious how much money I allowed to them.

I am enjoying it while feeling increasing levels of bile. The digestion will suffer.

In seriousness. It is the end online her in the UK. I don't know it will play in America. I haven't heard anything that makes me think Harry will be affected yet. Apart form the damage already done. For instance my brother is a similar age to Harry, and while not overtly into the royals, always liked Harry. Thought he did good work, was brave. Admired him going to Irag or Afghanistan or whatever. He is just let down by him now an said he just walked away from his reapinsibilities. And I think that is it for people who grew up with him. We are all getting older and we have increasing responsibilities. And it is a mark of a green up to stick with them.

I don't know how this will play for her in America. But she is coming across a intolerable.

why would he be bohtered about a story about them visiting if it was 2 years ago

For the same reason Meghan is suing the MoS- his privacy being invaded.
Does it matter it happened two years ago? He let this woman into his home and in return she blabbed about it to friends and/or a reporter.

I doubt if William was all that sanguine about Meghan. He seems to have advised H to take it slow.. Harry didn't listen... and Im sure that there was a little tension over the feeling that William was a bit uneasy..
So I'd say Will approached Meghan warily hoping that she WAS indeed a nice woman who woudl continue to make his brother happy and that she'd be able to take on royal life, without too much strain.

I think that “silly smile” line was probably before Harry spoke about them rushing into things, and William was meeting her for the first time, so he has yet had time to get to know her.

I’d imagine given the super private details about the Cambridge’s home, William may feel his privacy has been invaded too.

I am enjoying it while feeling increasing levels of bile. The digestion will suffer.

In seriousness. It is the end online her in the UK. I don't know it will play in America. I haven't heard anything that makes me think Harry will be affected yet. Apart form the damage already done. For instance my brother is a similar age to Harry, and while not overtly into the royals, always liked Harry. Thought he did good work, was brave. Admired him going to Irag or Afghanistan or whatever. He is just let down by him now an said he just walked away from his reapinsibilities. And I think that is it for people who grew up with him. We are all getting older and we have increasing responsibilities. And it is a mark of a green up to stick with them.

I don't know how this will play for her in America. But she is coming across a intolerable.

That’s that, isn’t it?
This is why people are turned off by them, they appear irresponsible, vapid.
This is why I think the majority of their fans right now are young teenager or college kids, when that demo will grow up and start having responsibilities and exprience life they will outgrow the Sussexes, and see them for what they are.
They will become disillusioned with them, happens to most of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom