Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This book is awful. Disgusting.

The "holier than thou" pseudo-aristocratic attitude of Lady C. was easier to stomach than this... thing. People didn't like Meghan because she was too perfect? Seriously? I think that thirteen year old me writing fanfiction had more restraint than authors of this book, and that's saying something.

I don't understand the fanfiction-like language, the constant praise and adoration for can-do-no-wrong Meghan, the complete lack of objectivism, the astonishing level of details like baths and texts and (not so) private conversations.

I sincerely regret every single penny I've paid for this book.

Oh I don't. Its compulsive. I can't look away, like a car crash.

I bet Meghan had copy approval.

Having read parts of the book I'm left wondering - yes H&M have found their (idea of) freedom but at what cost to themselves and to thsoe around them and who were once close to them.
In fact, they have have done this to be happy but along the way have made lots of other people unhappy (HM, Charles, William, Kate, Meghan's father, the British public etc etc). So I guess the book leaves me wondering, why is their happiness or freedom worth so much more it is allowed to upset others?

I really don’t understand this _ yes this is for the American market but you really have to be pretty mindless to read this and continue her adoration.
That been said , confused by the editors here. Expected more from Harper Collins my have standards dropped. Yes I expected this from Omid but Carolyn is actually a good journalist. I really don’t get the purpose of this book.
I do worry if things don’t work out as planned as hoped_ then what. This is an example of digging a hole for yourself to get out of. I just hope that their talent matches their egos.

Interesting IMO that even The Times (which serialised it) has an editorial during which they point out a number of factual errors in the book:

However, for a book that sets out to put the record straight, there are curious omissions. There is nothing on the controversy over why they refused to divulge the names of Archie’s godparents, or what happened when she had an apparent meltdown on an official engagement in a market in Fiji. Their decision to set up their Megxit website on the sly without telling any of the royal family is skimmed over.

Some of it is just plain wrong. When they flew to Canada to get away from everyone in November last year, it wasn’t on Air Canada, as the authors claim, but a private jet (whoops). The authors use a couple of jobs undertaken by the couple to berate the press, complaining that coverage of their first trip to Wales omitted to point out that the reason they were an hour late was because their train was delayed. Not true: every newspaper said that their train was late. Instead of the couple being “pummeled with criticism”, the coverage was overwhelmingly positive. The Daily Mail, bête noire for Harry and Meghan, said she passed her initiation “with flying colours”.

A few days later, she wore a trouser suit to an awards ceremony. The book says she was “lambasted” for her fashion choice — in fact, she was widely praised. Laziness by the authors, who could have checked? Or cynicism?

I was surprised they included the pee story as some people (myself included) could infer that Harry has a urination fetish.

But then I got to thinking about how Charles and Camilla had "tampongate". Seeing as the book admitted Harry studied Diana's post-divorce speech so he could mimic it during Sussexit, it made me think that they studied tampongate too so they could put their spin on it. That Camilla was Charles non-negotiable and he adored her so much that he envied her tampons. And now we have Meghan was Harry's nonnegotiable that he is so in awe of her that he was even bewitched by her urination.

Frankly, this is a very bizarre book. Confirming that they upstaged Eugenie at her wedding. Admitting that they took much more private jets than the public knows about. And gleefully name-dropping every celebrity they ever crossed paths with. If they were trying to come across as likable and relatable then this book was a total misfire. But if they were trying to convince the World of their superstar status, and that Hollywood would be foolish not to fall at their feet. Then I guess I can find some reason behind all this ego and posturing.

Wait, what? This is the first I’ve heard of it...ewww!

Yet, the info in the second paragraph is even worse as it shows how self-centered and entitled they are

Last edited:
If the Cambridges were part of the smear campaign they had it coming. Dad has been exposed in potentially another lie in regards to Archie. So far Daily Mail has not reported the Dad story, maybe because of the lawsuit, but you know they are checking out that chapter to see if there is anything in it that could help or hurt it's case. Trevor was brought up because the media dragged him in first and the tabloids claimed Meghan up and dumped her husband for no reason. Meghan and Harry stepped on the rake on the pregnancy announcement at Eugenie's wedding,. but she announced her congratulations to the Sussexes.

Again everyone messed up here.

Thank you for sharing it Claire.

Unclear is what the Palace, the Queen's or Charles' reaction to finding themselves cast in the Cruella De Vil role in Finding Freedom will be. The Queen and Charles are especially practiced at soldiering rather elegantly on without complaint, and both of them have been through tougher fires than this.
Ironically, the most pointed question that Finding Freedom poses is one for the prince-in-exile and for Meghan Markle. On lockdown in Mr. Perry's capacious Beverly Hills mansion with not quite enough to do, it seems that they have found everything but freedom. It can be that they've just swapped one gilt birdcage for another.
Sadly I have to agree with the last paragraph.:neutral: The BRF have faced far worse situations and IMHO they will not release a public statement on Finding Freedom. However I don't believe that the Sussexes will be finding their freedom in the long run.

If the Cambridges were part of the smear campaign they had it coming. Dad has been exposed in potentially another lie in regards to Archie. So far Daily Mail has not reported the Dad story, maybe because of the lawsuit, but you know they are checking out that chapter to see if there is anything in it that could help or hurt it's case. Trevor was brought up because the media dragged him in first and the tabloids claimed Meghan up and dumped her husband for no reason. Meghan and Harry stepped on the rake on the pregnancy announcement at Eugenie's wedding,. but she announced her congratulations to the Sussexes.

I followed press of this couple extensively until the train went off the rails and never saw a claim that "Meghan up and dumped her husband for no reason." Other than pulling up a random article, can you provide what you mean when you say that the tabloids made this claim to such an extent that a rebuttal was necessary in a book these years later. In fact, the only widely repeated story I remember making the rounds about this marriage was the way Meghan ended it.

And goodness gracious, with each attempt to defend why the Cambridges are at fault and should be brought down a notch, the grasping at straws seems more desperate. Last post, it was that William is petty because he deprived Meghan of something she had no right to under the sun. (Ironically, proving everyone's point that it seems if Meghan doesn't get exactly what Meghan wants regardless of whether Meghan should have it, everyone around her is the villain.) This post, they are part of a smear campaign that a judge sitting in a court of law all but dismissed as a figment of the imagination. Now, her immense faux pas is swept aside due to someone else's gracious good manners.

It's not others who are coming out looking poorly here.

Sorry? Do we even have any kind of evidence that support this? Why on earth would they do something like that?

I really don’t understand this _ yes this is for the American market but you really have to be pretty mindless to read this and continue her adoration.
That been said , confused by the editors here. Expected more from Harper Collins my have standards dropped. Yes I expected this from Omid but Carolyn is actually a good journalist. I really don’t get the purpose of this book.
I do worry if things don’t work out as planned as hoped_ then what. This is an example of digging a hole for yourself to get out of. I just hope that their talent matches their egos.

Yet, there are those who continue to defend her, and him.

I've read the whole book now and there are some snippets of extra information but for me, there are no huge, new revelations about anything although there are several instances of press reports being challenged with an alternative narrative.

The detail of some personal events could only have come from extremely close friends and I wonder if this will come back and bite them. If the friends co-operated with the authors then in effect, that's Harry and Meghan co-operating with them or endorsing the book.

Overall, for me the book confirms:

1 My belief that some of the UK media published false, defamatory stories about H & M, which quickly became global ‘truths’ .

2 Those points I’ve posted here previously about Harry’s apparent inability to accept that his position means his father and brother’s work must always take precedence. Harry and Meghan’s plans and work must always fit around Charles and William. BP and KP will inevitably seek to ensure that H&M’s coverage and popularity don’t eclipse William. It might be a tough pill to swallow but the public will consider the immense privilege of Harry’s life to be a more than adequate compensation.

3 Another point I’ve previously made, which is that Harry was/is the least equipped guide and mentor to Meghan becoming a working royal because his judgement is so skewed by resentment and his (at times) fragile mental health.

4 The other things I’ve said about the whole set up of separate households being dysfunctional and unfit for purpose because it fuels competition, tribal behaviour, conspiracies and secret briefings. The system seems rigid, archaic and often ineffective. I wonder if much has changed since Diana’s complaints about the ‘men in suits’.

5 That Meghan is an admirable person with huge potential but she was launched into public life far too quickly, given that she was always going to be pilloried in the press (as Camilla and Kate were). The changes in her life circumstances were significant, numerous and within a short timescale so no wonder she became emotionally exhausted with the negative (and often false) press.

6 That their departure is an upsetting and sad situation that needn’t have happened if Harry hadn’t been so volatile, impulsive and impatient.

Looking to the future, I don’t know if those who have been criticised can progress past that (eg if I were Catherine I’d be fuming). My sincere hopes are that Harry and Meghan can make a success of their new life but I still think they’d have had a much better chance of doing that here if they’d slowed their pace and dimmed their lights rather than “hitting the ground running”.

I agree with pretty much everything in this post, maybe especially #6.

As unfortunate as the situation is, given that Harry just can't seem to deal with William's position, it's probably for the best that he and Meghan left. Eventually, things will calm down (even if some relationships remain strained), but if these two had remained inside the BRF as working Royals, it would have continued to progress towards toxic.

I don't get how this book is meant to make Harry and Meghan look better. As far as I can tell it makes them look worse. Maybe that's why they're denying that they had anything to do with the book when they clearly did.

This book is awful. Disgusting.

The "holier than thou" pseudo-aristocratic attitude of Lady C. was easier to stomach than this... thing. People didn't like Meghan because she was too perfect? Seriously? I think that thirteen year old me writing fanfiction had more restraint than authors of this book, and that's saying something.

I don't understand the fanfiction-like language, the constant praise and adoration for can-do-no-wrong Meghan, the complete lack of objectivism, the astonishing level of details like baths and texts and (not so) private conversations.

I sincerely regret every single penny I've paid for this book.

Is that what the book says? They hate Meghan for being perfect? That reminds me of that old shampoo commercial: "don't hate me for being beautiful", lol.

I knew this book would be poorly written - the authors seem like hacks. Just the title makes me want to:sick::sick::sick:

Perhaps you can recycle the book....surely it's second life will be better than it's first!

Tommy:

Having read parts of the book I'm left wondering - yes H&M have found their (idea of) freedom but at what cost to themselves and to thsoe around them and who were once close to them.
In fact, they have have done this to be happy but along the way have made lots of other people unhappy (HM, Charles, William, Kate, Meghan's father, the British public etc etc). So I guess the book leaves me wondering, why is their happiness or freedom worth so much more it is allowed to upset others

These are things normal people consider, but Harry and Meghan don't care what others think, if they might be hurting those who love them and who they love. They are the definition of self-absorbed.

Last edited:
At the risk of repeating myself: This book could have been titled Meghan- Patron Saint of Perpetual Victimhood.

Seriously, it seems that the overarching theme of the book is Meghan good, Rest of the World bad.

This woman is a user who’ll throw anyone under the bus. I am sure Harry, Archie and any celebrity “friends” that don’t kiss her a## are next

Thanks for re-opening this thread so soon Jacknch.

Glad there are so many posters here who have the actual book and who are sharing their insights.

After the "Times/Sunday Times" excerpts I'm not shocked by what has now come out, and the perspective taken.

I am however enjoying all the little details being dropped.

Snippets that have caught my eye from the media coverage so far -

* London-based Izzy May is one of little Archie's godparents.

* A family nickname for Her Majesty is "Gary", from when Prince William was unable to pronounce "Granny" when young.

* One of the night-nannies being fired on their second night on the job for "unprofessional conduct".

* The Duchess being frightened out in the Cotswold countryside of a night and hence the move to Windsor.

* The Duchess taking a two-day SAS kidnap course, learning how to engage with her kidnappers in order to survive.

* Confirmation that "The Working Actress" blog was indeed one of Meghan's blogs. This is the blog where she imparted that she would take to her bed with alcohol and bread when depressed about missing a role in her early struggling career days.

* Little Archie mimicking the animal sounds he heard during the night when staying at the High Commissioner's house in Cape Town.

* Other people where with them on their first date, and they had a private area behind floor to ceiling velvet curtains.

* The Duke and Duchess didn't want staff in their home overnight. This was after witnessing the Cambridge household with the live-in housekeeper and live-in nanny.

* After taking on night duties without help in handling Archie, they chose to be alone in their house of a night, but had a day-time nanny.

* Archie is taking swimming lessons.

* Russian hackers stole a lot of private photos from their cloud account. Private wedding photos, including with the Queen, duds where they had their eyes half-closed.

* Borrowing the house of a Hollywood producer in Los Angeles for a secret "Thanksgiving" where Prince Harry was able to meet Ms Ragland for the first time.

* Wearing Venetian masks, so they wouldn't be recognised, to the pre-Halloween Soho House party in Toronto, also attended by Princess Eugenie and her then fiancee.

* The couple binge-watched “Breaking Bad” and “Game of Thrones” in the Prince’s KP cottage. And, Meghan had access to a lot of the new film releases due to her voting rights, so they watched those as well.

Last edited:
There’s no evidence supporting claims of a “smear campaign” by William or Kate. None. A hypothetical scenario can be created for anything and anyone. “If The Cambridges participated in a smear campaign they had it coming.” Yes, and as the saying goes, if my grandmother had wheels she’d be a bicycle.

Plenty of things could have happened behind the scenes. For all we know William and Kate may be the most difficult people in the world to deal with and Harry and Meghan are the well meaning and mature couple that were unfairly torn down by other people’s pettiness and lies. But all anyone who doesn’t know either couple has to go on are the facts on public record. I’ve seen plenty of facts that help me form an opinion of Harry and Meghan’s motivations and behaviour. I’ve seen nothing that even remotely points to William or Kate setting out to harm The Sussexes in any way.

Thank you for sharing it Claire.

Sadly I have to agree with the last paragraph.:neutral: The BRF have faced far worse situations and IMHO they will not release a public statement on Finding Freedom. However I don't believe that the Sussexes will be finding their freedom in the long run.

The reason this has been tough for HM and Charles is because it's so personal, but in terms of the affects this will have on them as Queen and heir, in terms of the affects it will have on the "Firm", the BRF, the Institution as a whole.......they're fine.

I couldn't agree more about Harry and Meghan being in a gilded cage. Whatever success they may have, however glamorous their lives, I can't help thinking that a part of Harry will always long for what he gave up (family, in a big way). They felt they could get the attention they craved by escaping to the US, but.....the Queen, PoW, the Cambridges will always be the ones the spotlight lands on; they will always be center stage. Whatever relevance H and M have, it's in relation to the BRF.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ghans-packing-skills-Harry-tough-impress.html

From the article:
Royal expert Penny Junor, author of Prince Harry: Brother, Soldier, Son, Husband, told MailOnline: ‘The authors certainly have some extraordinarily personal and private details about Harry and Meghan, but the couple have said they didn’t speak to them directly and we have to take their word for it.

What seems absolutely clear, however, is that they colluded. If not, they would have kicked up a huge fuss about this book. I suspect they wanted to get their story and their feelings about how they were treated out into the public arena and have done so via friends who sound as though they were very well and carefully briefed

Eskimo's thoughts:

The description of certain events in the this book are so detailed that they could not have come from anyone but them. Their choice is simple: they admit that they colluded on this book or SUE Scobie and Durand.

Wait, what? This is the first I’ve heard of it...ewww!

Yet, the info in the second paragraph is even worse as it shows how self-centred and entitled they are

It's just that when they were in Botswana in their expensive glamping tent complete with en suite Meghan preferred to go and pee in the woods instead, leaving Harry (and now the rest of us!) mesmerised and awestruck of how down to earth and practical she was. Interspersed before and after with anecdotes about private jets, expensive brands, Hollywood and celebrity friends.

Also detail that like many others either has to be insane fanfiction or given to them by one of the Sussexes or a friend/staff member with permission. And again strange to include anyway in a book who's subjects guard their privacy so fiercely. Do they really want people to imagine Harry admiring how Meghan pees, even in a benign way?

Last edited:
Is that what the book says? They hate Meghan for being perfect? That reminds me of that old shampoo commercial: "don't hate me for being beautiful", lol.

I knew this book would be poorly written - the authors seem like hacks. Just the title makes me want to:sick::sick::sick:

Perhaps you can recycle the book....surely it's second life will be better than it's first!
Yes, exactly, here's the quote:
Meghan’s willingness to help others and her drive to excel meant she often was deemed “fake” by classmates at school who felt it was impossible for anyone to be that “perfect.”
Unfortunately it's an ebook so I can't really recycle it or sell it or burn it to cleanse my mind, but since I paid for it, I'm gonna read it and enjoy it, even if only because it paints Sussexes in such a bad light. Omid is really not doing them any favours with this one...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ghans-packing-skills-Harry-tough-impress.html

From the article:
Royal expert Penny Junor, author of Prince Harry: Brother, Soldier, Son, Husband, told MailOnline: ‘The authors certainly have some extraordinarily personal and private details about Harry and Meghan, but the couple have said they didn’t speak to them directly and we have to take their word for it.

What seems absolutely clear, however, is that they colluded. If not, they would have kicked up a huge fuss about this book. I suspect they wanted to get their story and their feelings about how they were treated out into the public arena and have done so via friends who sound as though they were very well and carefully briefed

Eskimo's thoughts:

The description of certain events in the this book are so detailed that they could not have come from anyone but them. Their choice is simple: they admit that they colluded on this book or SUE Scobie and Durand.

Yup, and I said this some time ago. PLUS, Omid would never risk his career to write this book, which will come and go and no one will ever really remember it. When I say "risk his career", I mean he would never give up the one thing that he believes makes him special: his access to H and M.

By the way......aside from the crappy writing, how purple is this prose ? Talking about how Meghan stretched her body? I don't know what a warrior pose is; did she hold a spear in one hand?

‘Theirs was a love story that took hold in Africa – where now Meghan, on the last day of an incredible three-week stay, stretched her body into the perfect warrior pose. She quietly took in her surroundings from the grounds of their final home away from home on this trip, a modern villa in Livingstone, Zambia, just under ten miles upstream from Victoria Falls. The rising sun washed over her makeshift yoga garden, while an exotic flock of birds that looked as if they had just had their tails dipped in pots of colourful paints serenaded her.’

LOL below is like when you're interviewing for a job and, when the interviewer asks what your biggest fault is, you say something like "I'm too detail oriented", lol. I should know, I've said it before out of desperation.

'Meghan’s willingness to help others and her drive to excel meant she often was deemed "fake" by classmates at school who felt it was impossible for anyone to be that "perfect".'

Harry was impressed with her packing skills? :lol::lol::lol:

It's just that when they were in Botswana in their expensive glamping tent complete with en suite Meghan preferred to go and pee in the woods instead, leaving Harry (and now the rest of us!) mesmerised and awestruck of how down to earth and practical she was. Interspersed before and after with anecdotes about private jets, expensive brands, Hollywood and celebrity friends.

Also detail that like many others either has to be insane fanfiction or given to them by one of the Sussexes or a friend/staff member with permission. And again strange to include anyway in a book who's subjects guard their privacy so fiercely. Do they really want people to imagine Harry admiring how Meghan pees, even in a benign way?

Um.....wow. I'm sorry, but it's really hard for women to pee in the woods, on the side of a road, etc.....It's just freaking uncomfortable unless you're naked and don't have to worry about soiling your clothes. I find it hard to believe that these two went out of their way to stay in a luxurious glamping tent, whose biggest feature probably IS the bathroom, only for Meghan to decide she loves getting back to nature in the most natural way. If it's true.......:ohmy:

Fem:

Yes, exactly, here's the quote:

Quote:
Meghan’s willingness to help others and her drive to excel meant she often was deemed “fake” by classmates at school who felt it was impossible for anyone to be that “perfect.”

Unfortunately it's an ebook so I can't really recycle it or sell it or burn it to cleanse my mind, but since I paid for it, I'm gonna read it and enjoy it, even if only because it paints Sussexes in such a bad light. Omid is really not doing them any favours with this one...

I commented on this in my previous posts.........as to the fact that it's an e-book, what a shame, lol. You'll never get this part of your life back, lol.

LOL Omid thinking this book flatters H and M proves he's as delusional as they are.

Just found one Trevor related Meghan is a witch story - and this was last week

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/cold-meghan-markle-shut-down-22467441

It is a repeat of old stories, courtesy of ex friend Nikkai Priddy.

You said that this book brought up Trevor, and treated him negatively, because of tabloid stories that Meghan "dumped him for no reason." This story doesn't make that claim at all.

What it does say is that Meghan treated him very poorly at the end.

Some more snippets that stood out for me -

* The Prince had a major emotional episode when attending the wedding in Jamaica after the couple were photographed embracing on their balcony. Ms Markle had never seen it this bad before. Usually she had been the only one who could calm him down, but this was another level.

* The couple hid out at the Mulroney house when news of their relationship came out.

* The Duchess had her mother Ms Ragland notify her father of Archie's birth, so he didn't hear about it from the media.

* Meghan's first husband attended the Oscars, but there was only the one ticket so she couldn't go.

* The Duchess took her son to baby classes while in the UK, and everyone there was wide-eyed, all the mothers and the two fathers. (Note the detail.)

* The Duchess would call prayer-circles together on the set of "Suits".

Such insights.

The details, the perspective, the name-dropping, the brand names, so much more than I ever expected when this book was first announced.

I will now be interested in seeing if the big court case is resolved, or if it will indeed go ahead.

I think the Duke and Duchess really want their "side" of things out there.

I won't be shocked if they go on to using the up-coming case as another avenue, much along the lines of the book. They didn't hold back here, so I can't now see them withdrawing the case.

Double-down, double-down.

Last edited:
At the risk of repeating myself: This book could have been titled Meghan- Patron Saint of Perpetual Victimhood.

Seriously, it seems that the overarching theme of the book is Meghan good, Rest of the World bad.

This woman is a user who’ll throw anyone under the bus. I am sure Harry, Archie and any celebrity “friends” that don’t kiss her a## are next

BINGO

I imagine they are following the reviews and it wouldn’t surprise me if Mr. Scobie feels the wheels...

* Russian hackers stole a lot of private photos from their cloud account. Private wedding photos, including with the Queen, duds where they had their eyes half-closed.

I wonder if that's where they got the pictures of her topless, bending over in white bikini bottoms on a beach. Reminded me of the pictures of Kate topless on her hotel balcony. Only Meghan's might have been taken before she married Harry.

I also wonder what the poor nanny did to get fired after two days.

I also have to agree with The Mail - these quotes are pretty cringe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom