Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it. There have been plenty of articles over the years about George, his house and his guests. He does get a bit pissed off when photos are taken of people on his property or in his house, like several years ago. Other than that, I doubt he cares.

I used to be a Clooney fan, I mean over a decade long fan (and i’m not much younger than Harry) he has always guarded his privacy to the point he rarely speaks about his private life, only the odds bits and pieces.
There’s enough info there that he may feel his privacy violated, especially if he did not give permission.

I don't believe for one minute that Harry and Meghan didn't cooperate with this book. Does anyone else?

Nope, and if they didn't directly speak to Omid they gave informaiton to others on a 3rd party to leak the information. I do not believe palace aides would speak to Omid. I bet the Royal Family is fuming.

The book tells one side of the story with them shady the future King and Queen. If you demand privacy, why leak all this information? Harry grew up in the monarchy his behavior is quite sad.

Started the book. I used to think about calling her Meegain was cruel. But first few chapters are just intolerable. With money and designer shoes and networking with her monies friends, and the breakdown of other relationships being the others fault and how hard she works. It's a PR release for her but it is making me believe all the things that were said about her.

I don't want to here about shopping for designer shoes or about the endless high profile friends.

I mean so far I can tick off the narcissist checklist. I wasn't expecting this.

I find FF really petty. I'm disappointed that Harry threw his brother under the bus and he praised Charles and Bea only to throw them under the bus too. This book is not about Harry, his feelings etc only about Meghan and how amazing she is.
It's cringeworthy she doesn't see it that way.
Also they single-outed William and Kate. Probably because of their popularity.
It's very sad and overall I thought Harry had more class.
Also I don't see many famous friends of the Sussex recommending, supporting their claims. Have they lost the majority of them in the process somehow?

Nope, and if they didn't directly speak to Omid they gave informaiton to others on a 3rd party to leak the information. I do not believe palace aides would speak to Omid. I bet the Royal Family is fuming.

The book tells one side of the story with them shady the future King and Queen. If you demand privacy, why leak all this information? Harry grew up in the monarchy his behavior is quite sad.

it is indeed a bit puzzling. they insist so much on privacy ('no birth details to be released', 'christening will be private', 'godparents will be private', etc), yet they allowed this book to be published. there's now way the book didn't get sanctioned by them, & approved by them before publication. if they haven't collaborated directly, they told others what to tell the writers. let's remember meghan is suing a media outlet at the moment for publishing stuff told by her friends to the media - if H&M really haven't contributed i'd expect them to take the same course of action for this. bu i bet this won't happen (no lawsuits will take place, meaning they sanctioned this book's content to be published).

it is hard to tell what is in the minds of these two and why they take somewhat conflicting decisions.

Started the book. I used to think about calling her Meegain was cruel. But first few chapters are just intolerable. With money and designer shoes and networking with her monies friends, and the breakdown of other relationships being the others fault and how hard she works. It's a PR release for her but it is making me believe all the things that were said about her.

I don't want to here about shopping for designer shoes or about the endless high profile friends.

I have not read this book, but based upon the reviews that I have read and some serialization of the book it appears that Meghan's first husband and her high school classmates are also being discussed as well in a less than flattering manner.

There also seems to be an enormous amount of product placement in the book. Everything is brand checked even when it doesn't make a difference.

I am reading it so that I can discuss it properly and yes, so far, complete hagiography where everything is always everybody else's fault, no stone left unturned.

However it all seems as petty and trivial as the excerpts did.

I'm surprised but not surprised how much the Cambridges are completely thrown under the bus, like any ambitious employee having a rant at their immediate superiors in the hierarchy. Who cannot retaliate and that goes double for all the aides and other staff.

I guess they knew it wouldn't go down well to bash the Queen and Charles is still paying their bills for now.

Reading ahead at the reviews and quotes people have put on the net before I took the plunge I can't believe that after all that fuss they went ahead and named her OBGYN and birth experience amongst other things. So much for privacy.

It's the things like that along with the truly strange to make up like the peeing in the woods that make it clear that Omid Scobie was getting info directly from them even if they didn't actually sit down with him.

Ah well, I don't know if it will win them any new fans. Overall it's still petty, shallow and badly written.

William and Kate are getting beat up in this book but they don't have clean hands. Dan Wooten has been on Twitter saying William was in part responsible for not getting access to royal jewels. That makes him look petty.

Meghan's first husband Trevor Engelson was dragged. The book said the marriage fell apart be he couldn't accept her success in Suits. It claims he wanted her to be dependent on him. Trevor kept quiet - will he do so now?

Meghan was sore that Nikkai Priddy sold childhood pictures to the tabloids. Understandable.

Princess Michael of Kent and the brooch - Meghan did take offense. Also understandable.

Samantha - Meghan hasn't seen her in a decade. The complaints she and Tom Jr not being invited to the wedding because they did not come to the first one and didn't care. They only wanted to come because Harry is royal. Given how they behaved that's believable.

Archie's birth - very happy time. Doria texted Meghan's dad about the birth BEFORE it was announced to the world. But she didn't want to hear the response. However, on BP birth announcement Markle's name was left off. Either the text didn't happen (doubt it) or BP left his name off on purpose.

This book really proved Meghan loves Hollywood and all the friends from the upper society and their lifestyle.
I'm surprised she told everyone her ex couldn't handle her fame. He really was quiet for so long, I'm sure they approached him.
Meghan, you're relevant only because of Harry, your hagiography doesn't work. I totally lost respect for Harry. He ditched his family, attacked William and Kate and didn't speak about himself too much, oh what a life he had but instead it's all about how great Meghan was.

You have more guts than I do, lol. I trust what you say, which makes me wonder why the authors think this makes her look good?

On another note, I saw this..... I don't understand this at all. For one thing, while I'm sure that's very true about Harry/William and Charles, as it is for many parents/children, I don't see how the 70th party is relevant or even a great example of this. I guess for me, I just don't believe this source as regards to W and H not making time for their father on a milestone birthday. They both participated in those tv specials, and H stopped by Charles' birthday party even though he was on his honeymoon. Those photos look so joyous and full of love that I fully believe W and H were completely present.

The other stuff, below the section of the photo, is........nothing new. I mean, of course Charles' relationship with his sons is complicated by the fact that he is the heir, and all that entails.....

The authors write: "The boys can be hot and cold with their father' disclosed a source, who gave the example of planning the photo session for Charles' 70th birthday, which they called 'an absolute nightmare'.

"Neither William nor Harry made much of an effort to make themselves available', the source said.

"While Charles may be a father to Harry, he's also their boss, and that makes their relationship complex for a number of reasons."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-charless-birthday-photo-was-22501885

The Telegraph has a more detailed article ,which I will post separately.

I won’t read the book as of now but can pretty much bet it’s always going to be someone else’s fault throughout their lives.

Unemployed millionaires living in someone’s home—should I say “woe is me” lol

From the Telegraph:

The Prince of Wales is much admired by Meghan, whom authors Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand reveal she found to be a trusted confidant who had “really changed her life for the better.”

“Not a father-in-law but a “second father,” a source reveals.

However, her husband’s relationship with his father is more complicated, amid suggestions that Harry felt he was more often more focused on his work than on family.

“Charles tended to be more of a presence at big family events,” one source is quoted as saying. “This isn't a family that pops by to say hi or texts each other to see how they’re doing. There’s a formalness there.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...nding-freedom-excerpts-review-prince-charles/

So Charles and Meghan's relationship is still good - that's nice.

About Charles and Harry...well, this is probably true to some degree, but it's not from lack of love or desire to be a present parent. I think Charles learned this about his own parents (especially his mother) long after his book was published. Based on a recent article I've read , he's making more time for family, trying not to work as hard (remembering what William said in Charles at 70, that he wishes his pa would slow down a bit and be able to spend more time with them all).

I didn't quote the stuff about William and Kate because we all know that they are the main targets of the book.

If people can do things for Meghan (I include the Mr.) it seems they have a purpose otherwise, you’re out and on to better things...

I was surprised they included the pee story as some people (myself included) could infer that Harry has a urination fetish.

But then I got to thinking about how Charles and Camilla had "tampongate". Seeing as the book admitted Harry studied Diana's post-divorce speech so he could mimic it during Sussexit, it made me think that they studied tampongate too so they could put their spin on it. That Camilla was Charles non-negotiable and he adored her so much that he envied her tampons. And now we have Meghan was Harry's nonnegotiable that he is so in awe of her that he was even bewitched by her urination.

Frankly, this is a very bizarre book. Confirming that they upstaged Eugenie at her wedding. Admitting that they took much more private jets than the public knows about. And gleefully name-dropping every celebrity they ever crossed paths with. If they were trying to come across as likable and relatable then this book was a total misfire. But if they were trying to convince the World of their superstar status, and that Hollywood would be foolish not to fall at their feet. Then I guess I can find some reason behind all this ego and posturing.

From the Telegraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...nding-freedom-excerpts-review-prince-charles/

So Charles and Meghan's relationship is still good - that's nice.

About Charles and Harry...well, this is probably true to some degree, but it's not from lack of love or desire to be a present parent. I think Charles learned this about his own parents (especially his mother) long after his book was published. Based on a recent article I've read , he's making more time for family, trying not to work as hard (remembering what William said in Charles at 70, that he wishes his pa would slow down a bit and be able to spend more time with them all).

I didn't quote the stuff about William and Kate because we all know that they are the main targets of the book.

Considering he might still funding them, it's quite understandable H&M are still sucking up to him.

I'm no fan of Harry and Meghan's at the moment and I will NOT be buying or reading the book, but I have a hard time seeing how so many of you are taking this book to be the Bible when it comes to H&M and their relationship. I'm sure there are some truths that are in it, but I feel like most of it is just gossip that came from the friend of a friend of a friend. And from the quotes that I've seen it is SO saccharine and flowery. Yeesh.

I've read the whole book now and there are some snippets of extra information but for me, there are no huge, new revelations about anything although there are several instances of press reports being challenged with an alternative narrative.

The detail of some personal events could only have come from extremely close friends and I wonder if this will come back and bite them. If the friends co-operated with the authors then in effect, that's Harry and Meghan co-operating with them or endorsing the book.

Overall, for me the book confirms:

1 My belief that some of the UK media published false, defamatory stories about H & M, which quickly became global ‘truths’ .

2 Those points I’ve posted here previously about Harry’s apparent inability to accept that his position means his father and brother’s work must always take precedence. Harry and Meghan’s plans and work must always fit around Charles and William. BP and KP will inevitably seek to ensure that H&M’s coverage and popularity don’t eclipse William. It might be a tough pill to swallow but the public will consider the immense privilege of Harry’s life to be a more than adequate compensation.

3 Another point I’ve previously made, which is that Harry was/is the least equipped guide and mentor to Meghan becoming a working royal because his judgement is so skewed by resentment and his (at times) fragile mental health.

4 The other things I’ve said about the whole set up of separate households being dysfunctional and unfit for purpose because it fuels competition, tribal behaviour, conspiracies and secret briefings. The system seems rigid, archaic and often ineffective. I wonder if much has changed since Diana’s complaints about the ‘men in suits’.

5 That Meghan is an admirable person with huge potential but she was launched into public life far too quickly, given that she was always going to be pilloried in the press (as Camilla and Kate were). The changes in her life circumstances were significant, numerous and within a short timescale so no wonder she became emotionally exhausted with the negative (and often false) press.

6 That their departure is an upsetting and sad situation that needn’t have happened if Harry hadn’t been so volatile, impulsive and impatient.

Looking to the future, I don’t know if those who have been criticised can progress past that (eg if I were Catherine I’d be fuming). My sincere hopes are that Harry and Meghan can make a success of their new life but I still think they’d have had a much better chance of doing that here if they’d slowed their pace and dimmed their lights rather than “hitting the ground running”.

I'm no fan of Harry and Meghan's at the moment and I will NOT be buying or reading the book, but I have a hard time seeing how so many of you are taking this book to be the Bible when it comes to H&M and their relationship. I'm sure there are some truths that are in it, but I feel like most of it is just gossip that came from the friend of a friend of a friend. And from the quotes that I've seen it is SO saccharine and flowery. Yeesh.

Than I would expect to hear that H&M are suing omid and Carolyn and their friends for either: breaching their privacy or setting up a false narrative of what happened while trashing family members.

As for the book: what little I read i found to be poorly written, one sides, and I find it disgusting. (Trashing former employees! Trashing her ex husband?!! Why? He has been dead quiet - and I hope he will remain so, as it will create a perfect respectful contradiction to Meghan shorty behavior)
This book more than ever confirms to me Meghan narcissism. I am still on the fence regarding Harry (not unheard of for two narcs to end up together)

I hope all those A-listers see this book and run! I’m sure many of them will.
I hope all her friends will now take a moment to realize that if they fall on her wrong side, in five-ten tears the people being trashed could be them.

Honestly this book is a blessing in disguise because it give me credence when I keep telling ppl: I told you so! - about her.

I look forward to this book being used against her in the MoS court case, and to see Omid testifying.
If she were smart, she’ll cancel the entire lawsuit, and just pay the fees.

Now excuse me, I’m gonna celebrate Kamala Harris being chosen to be Biden running mate, and i’m not even an American.

Last edited:
but if Harry has come to genuinely believe all this stuff, that's his belief now, and as a private individual he has a perfect right to talk about this stuff.

He absolutely has the right to talk all he wants but Harry knows very well that none of the current working members of the BRF can respond to the claims in the book, even if they’re outright lies. He grew up in this family, he’s funded by the family and he continues to benefit greatly from being part of the family. He also left of his own free will for a life that was supposed to make him happier and more fulfilled.

So it seems pretty low for him to take shots at his brother and sister in law in such a public way, knowing they can’t defend themselves. It’s like punching someone who has his hands tied behind his back. It makes him look like a mean spirited bully.

I have not read this book, but based upon the reviews that I have read and some serialization of the book it appears that Meghan's first husband and her high school classmates are also being discussed as well in a less than flattering manner.

That's most unwise!

They may be tempted to retaliate or at least state their view.

After all this isn't an obscure blog somewhere, but a book that is going to sell well, and be quoted a lot.

I don't believe for a second that Charles still loves, adores Meghan but his relationship is rocky with Harry. He must be tired of Meghan but she wants to be loved by everyone.
And yeah, this book is irrelevant because sexism, bullying but at the same time very posh extravagant story. Really PR-wise, what is this? You claimed you were so unhappy yet now we see how many great experience and private jets they had. Also admitting to upstaging the wedding was probably because they wanted to brag about Clooneys.. and explain why it all ended.

Is this true? If so, the only logical thing to do would be to sue the authors (to be consistent; you cannot sue one publication for publishing your letter and let another get away with it):

The book also quotes extensively from a letter she wrote to her father after the wedding (which he did not attend due to health problems, he said), which is now the subject of her lawsuit against the tabloid Mail on Sunday for alleged copyright infringement and invasion of privacy after it published the letter.
Source: USA Today

Last edited:
Is this true? If so, the only logical thing to do would be to sue the authors (to be consistent; you cannot allow one publication to publish your letter and let another get away with it):

Source: USA Today
Interesting. The book claims that Harry and Meghan wanted to give U.S. journalists more access, even though they are U.K. royalty. I am with the men in the gray suits on this one.

Why does Trevor Engelson have to be dragged into this? And Meghan's schoolmates?

Oh I'm not taking it as a biblical text, that would be unwise to do for any book like this, but I am taking a lot of it as exactly what they wanted out there and completely disbelieve Omid Scobie when he says they had nothing to do with it.

Why does Trevor Engelson have to be dragged into this? And Meghan's schoolmates?

It also says her Suits castmates were jealous of her new Queen Bee status. Basically there are only two types of people in the whole world. Those that view Meghan as a perfect idol to be worshipped and those that don't. If they don't it's because they're jealous of her. :huh:

It also says her Suits castmates were jealous of her new Queen Bee status. Basically there are only two types of people in the whole world. Those that view Meghan as a perfect idol to be worshipped and those that don't. If they don't it's because they're jealous of her. :huh:

I haven't gotten there yet. But I am laughing my head off at how perfect she is. Great packer. Lights up a room. Baths gods feet apparently. I can't believe it.

I haven't gotten there yet. But I am laughing my head off at how perfect she is. Great packer. Lights up a room. Baths gods feet apparently. I can't believe it.

Seems (from reading posts) book is about jealousy, greed and being vindictive...

This book is awful. Disgusting.

The "holier than thou" pseudo-aristocratic attitude of Lady C. was easier to stomach than this... thing. People didn't like Meghan because she was too perfect? Seriously? I think that thirteen year old me writing fanfiction had more restraint than authors of this book, and that's saying something.

I don't understand the fanfiction-like language, the constant praise and adoration for can-do-no-wrong Meghan, the complete lack of objectivism, the astonishing level of details like baths and texts and (not so) private conversations.

I sincerely regret every single penny I've paid for this book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom