Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sussexes didn't 'leave right away' at all. Meghan and Harry were engaged in November 2017. She took part in some events with the Royal Family during her engagement. The couple married in May 2018 and didn't leave the Royal Family until the end of March 2020.
They formally didn't leave until end of March but in practice they left the UK after 1 1/2 years (November 2019): Meghan didn't have that many activities in her final year which included both her maternity leave and an extended stay in Canada; so what remains is some behind the scenes projects, their Southern Africa tour and a few other engagements in September/October and some final ones in March.

Given that she made a commitment for a lifetime in May 2018, I would say she at least left very soon...

They formally didn't leave until end of March but in practice they left the UK after 1 1/2 years (November 2019): Meghan didn't have that many activities in her final year which included both her maternity leave and an extended stay in Canada; so what remains is some behind the scenes projects, their Southern Africa tour and a few other engagements in September/October and some final ones in March.

Given that she made a commitment for a lifetime in May 2018, I would say she at least left very soon...

Well, she is definitely not getting the Royal Victorian Order for personal service to the Crown.

Assuming what you are talking about is true...until I read the book myself to see what it really says, I don't trust the media/tabloid take on things since we know they distort and twist to suit their own agendas...and they have not read the book either.

If ppl were talking it's very possible it's staff, friends or even family on the inside of 'palace doors'.

LaRae

The bath story is literally from a Times exerpt that is bylined Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durant. It's not a description of a story in the book; it is the book.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-the-night-before-she-married-harry-cc8ctfd6t

Sitting in a bath later that night, FaceTiming with a friend, the bride-to-be said she had left her dad a final message, adding: “I can’t sit up all night just pressing send.”

To be clear, the only people this could have come from are Meghan or the friend. It couldn't be someone "behind palace doors" because this conversation - if we are taking Scobie and Durant as reliable narrators - happened the night before the wedding, when Meghan was at the Cliveden House Hotel.

Last edited:
Another Markle has surfaced regarding the book. Jr is saying Dad is done with the Sussexes

https://www-dailymail-co-uk.cdn.amp...ding-Finding-Freedom-says-son-Thomas-Jnr.html

First Dad is acting as a witness for Daily Mail in Meghan's lawsuit. How could he except a relationship after that? Meghan is probably advised by her lawyers not to talk to him or risk the appearance of witness tampering. Dad is probably mad that another publication showing multiple people are trashing him (either the five in the lawsuit or a new batch). No telling what else is in the book about him when it's released. Now he wants to travel the world. Good luck during a pandemic.

Really glad to see the Royal Family defending Ms Kelly ...

"But last night a Royal source pointedly said: 'The book's version of what happened would not be everyone else's recollection of events and certainly not those who were close to it'".

A friend of the Susseses says the hairdresser had been flown over from Paris for a practice session and they were frustrated at not having a tiara to use.

"Angela Kelly said she couldn't come to London and Harry went ballistic".

"Meghan demanded access to the tiara ... Harry was very quick to let everybody know of his anger and frustration ... ringing others to put pressure on Angela to bend the rules."

There are a lot of details in the article actually so I won't quote any more, you can read it if interested.

The whole thing appears to have been the Sussexes not following protocol, being awful to people in postions of lesser power, and the Prince ending up getting a dressing-down from Her Majesty.

The Sussexes are so embarrasing to themselves, all this hellish behaviour being dragged out and exposed.

But so good Ms Kelly is being shown to be the innocent party in all the Sussexes' dramatics.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ce-Harry-using-bad-language-closest-aide.html

The bath story is literally from a Times exerpt that is bylined Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durant. It's not a description of a story in the book; it is the book.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-the-night-before-she-married-harry-cc8ctfd6t

To be clear, the only people this could have come from are Meghan or the friend. It couldn't be someone "behind palace doors" because this conversation - if we are taking Scobie and Durant as reliable narrators - happened the night before the wedding, when Meghan was at the Cliveden House Hotel.

Totally agree hel.

It's now become impossible to defend the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as not being involved with "Finding Freedom".

The alternative is Mr Sobie and Ms Durand are nuts, making up stuff at this level of detail.

And the publishing house and their lawyers, "The Times" and "The Sunday Times" and their lawyers, serious professionals, all going along with it. Why would they? They'd have to be nuts too.

Time to give up trying to sell this idea that the Sussexes didn't speak and that they don't have their hands all over this. That view has been blown out of the water by each new snippet and anecdote.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sussexes didn't 'leave right away' at all. Meghan and Harry were engaged in November 2017. She took part in some events with the Royal Family during her engagement. The couple married in May 2018 and didn't leave the Royal Family until the end of March 2020.

Oh stop it. She wasn't there for years. She was barely there. As for the part where it was before she was engaged SHE was the one who put it out there she was dating Harry. I remember it. She could have kept those years under wraps.

She made little effort to be a member of the royal family. The rest of them put up with all sorts of crap for want of a better word. Those related to the queen and those married on. No wonder why she irritated them so much.

Omid has said a couple times now (at least) that some of the stories being put out by the tabloids are not accurate to what the book says. He's been pretty adamant about it.

Stories can come from anyone on the inside...and that doesn't automatically mean The Sussexes. It's not exactly unheard of for staff or even family members to talk behind the scenes so to speak.

LaRae

I agree that it is very possible that Meghan and Harry did not talk directly with the authors. However, I think that is a distinction without a difference. The issue is whether they assisted the authors by allowing friends and family (Doria) to communicate with them. We may never know for sure.

Oh stop it. She wasn't there for years. She was barely there. As for the part where it was before she was engaged SHE was the one who put it out there she was dating Harry. I remember it. She could have kept those years under wraps. Quote.

Camilla Tominay broke the news of Harry and Meghan's dating in the Express in October 2016. Meghan didn't say so. It was confirmed by Harry the next month when he wrote an open letter from KP condemning the harrassment and racial abuse by the British Press (tabloids.) Meghan hadn't made any Press statements.

AND, they must have been planning the exit for months before January, so they didn’t even give it 1 1/2 years

Really glad to see the Royal Family defending Ms Kelly ...

"But last night a Royal source pointedly said: 'The book's version of what happened would not be everyone else's recollection of events and certainly not those who were close to it'".

A friend of the Susseses says the hairdresser had been flown over from Paris for a practice session and they were frustrated at not having a tiara to use.

"Meghan demanded access to the tiara ... Harry was very quick to let everybody know of his anger and frustration ... ringing others to put pressure on Angela to bend the rules."

There are a lot of details in the article actually so I won't quote any more, you can read it if interested.

The whole thing appears to have been the Sussexes not following protocol, being awful to people in postions of lesser power, and the Prince ending up getting a dressing-down from Her Majesty.

The Sussexes are so embarrasing to themselves, all this hellish behaviour being dragged out and exposed.

But so good Ms Kelly is being shown to be the innocent party in all the Sussexes' dramatics.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ce-Harry-using-bad-language-closest-aide.html

It seems like Harry flies into rages a lot...he has anger management issues, and frankly, both he and Meghan need lessons on how to treat people. It’s really disturbing how rude they are to those of lower rank. Another issue - they just can’t handle the word NO. When someone tells them they can’t do something or have something, even when there’s a reason for it, they take offense to that and consider it bad treatment. It’s ugly, ugly behavior.

I’m so glad HM dressed Harry down - her grandson is out of control.

Why should we believe this article in the Fail any more than all the previous articles in that newspaper that alleged that Meghan and the Queen had a row about an emerald tiara? Tossing around words like 'Royal source' in today's article by Emily Andrews doesn't make it the truth. Emily Andrews has made up several stories in her time.

And Meghan wasn't screaming and shouting, it's Harry that's the villain in this latest episode of 'what the papers say'. If it was Harry all along then it says a lot about Palace staff that they allowed her to be the focus of arguments about choosing tiaras when they have known 'the truth' since May 2018.

It seems like Harry flies into rages a lot...he has anger management issues, and frankly, both he and Meghan need lessons on how to treat people. It’s really disturbing how rude they are to those of lower rank. Another issue - they just can’t handle the word NO. When someone tells them they can’t do something or have something, even when there’s a reason for it, they take offense to that and consider it bad treatment. It’s ugly, ugly behavior.

I’m so glad HM dressed Harry down - her grandson is out of control.

I agree with you Betsypaige.

I'm glad Kate stood up for a staff member when Meghan got out of line and that the Queen stood up for another staff member when Harry got out of line.

Good to know the staff are taken care of by the Royals.

Why should we believe this article in the Fail any more than all the previous articles in that newspaper that alleged that Meghan and the Queen had a row about an emerald tiara? Tossing around words like 'Royal source' in today's article by Emily Andrews doesn't make it the truth. Emily Andrews has made up several stories in her time.

And Meghan wasn't screaming and shouting, it's Harry that's the villain in this latest episode of 'what the papers say'. If it was Harry all along then it says a lot about Palace staff that they allowed her to be the focus of arguments about choosing tiaras when they have known 'the truth' since May 2018.

It was a friend of the Sussexes being quoted as saying that Harry went "ballistic" Curryong.

It was a friend of the Sussexes being quoted as saying that Harry went "ballistic" Curryong.

Unless the "friend" was actually named, the statement remains as questionable and not credible information. Did someone actually *see* Harry go ballistic or did the story grow from a whispered game of telephone?

It perfectly fits into the 'what Meghan wants, Meghan gets' quote, I can totally believe it.

Y'know, I've never bought into the statement "What Meghan wants, Meghan gets" in the context that its been portrayed since someone reported Harry to have said that. How I interpreted it is that, like many bridegrooms- to-be, he just wanted Meghan to have the wedding details to be as what would make her happy. If Meghan had wanted a Betazoid wedding, Harry would probably have complied but I do think that both of them would have gotten a lot of flak for it especially as the wedding was going to be televised. :D

Last edited:

That's awful. That's just bullying. A lot of people get Bridezilla-ish, and Meghan wouldn't be the first person who'd upset the mother of one of the bridesmaids over clothes or hair or whatever, but for Harry to hassle a member of staff like that is very poor. It must have been very awkward and upsetting for Angela Kelly. If they were that desperate for a tiara just to practise the hairstyle with, you can get cheap ones from kids' accessories shops!

If the Angela Kelly/tiara story is true, it's another example of what I referred to previously about Harry being the least qualified person to guide Meghan into her role. To be fair, reports of Charles flying into rages at staff are numerous so his own role-model hasn't been brilliant either. It's interesting though isn't it that it was Meghan who has been vilified in the global press for throwing a tantrum about not getting the tiara she wanted and being 'slapped down' by the Queen for it.

Camilla Tominay broke the news of Harry and Meghan's dating in the Express in October 2016. Meghan didn't say so. It was confirmed by Harry the next month when he wrote an open letter from KP condemning the harrassment and racial abuse by the British Press (tabloids.) Meghan hadn't made any Press statements.

Simply because Meghan gave so many hints on Instagram:

1. Wearing matching bracelets.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/rb-composite-h-m-2.jpg?w=620

2. Posting a picture of a guy with a similar profile to Harry.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/rb-composite-meg-insta.jpg?w=620

3. Posting a picture of her dog wearing a Union Jack jumper.
https://ugc-01.cafemomstatic.com/gen/constrain/560/380/80/2017/11/17/10/3j/l9/pov73hcnk02h.png

4. Posting a picture about Brexit.
https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/130/590x/secondary/Meghan-Markle-1188758.jpg

5. Posting a picture of peonies in London.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/7f42d6917a556ffc33bfd12dbf745849/tumblr_p284tqb6qd1wkb7udo1_1280.png

Assuming what you are talking about is true...until I read the book myself to see what it really says, I don't trust the media/tabloid take on things since we know they distort and twist to suit their own agendas...and they have not read the book either.

If ppl were talking it's very possible it's staff, friends or even family on the inside of 'palace doors'.

LaRae

yes taht's waht I said, staff or friends....

They didn't do a lot really. Two trips, a couple, of events, the beginnings of some charity work. She was on maternity, quite rightly, for quite a large proportion. They were only beginning. Sad.

Its not so much how much work they did, but it seems likely that they were planning a getaway several months AT LEAST before they announced it in January. Possibly there was never a real commitment to the job, I think that Meg may have always intended to pull out of it on a full time basis...
Perhaps she genuinely believed that after a couple of years to raise her profile she and Harry could leave the full time job and be part time business people. Its possible that she didn't realise that that would note be allowed, and what is more dismaying is that Harry didn't seem to realise it either..
He should have put Meg straight on this, but it seems like he too believed it would be possible.
And possibly they intended to stick it out a little longer, but wanted to be part time but when Meg found she wasn't getting as much favourable press as she expected and so on, she wanted to make a quick exit and perhaps she never wanted to come back...

[...]

The shocking bit (if true) is the total lack of planning/communication over when the tiara would be available and for that, nobody should blame a woman who wouldn't have a clue about protocol over keys to royal jewellery. It's Harry's fault for assuming he could just get them unlocked when it suited him and that's probably why he was so enraged because his error was exposed in front of Meghan.

I suspect the issue perhaps centered around the fact that it seems so few people have access to the jewels so H&M possibly just assumed they could just turn up at BP and there would be plenty of people to open the "vault" and give them the tiara when the hairdresser turned up. However it seems only Angela (and HM herself I suspect) have keys/access and given she was either at Windsor with HM or at her own grace & favour home at Windsor she, quite understandably, wasn't going to undertake a 40 mile round trip with no notice.

In itself the issue isn't that a mistake was made on H&M's part not to forward think about access to the tiara before it was too late. I would expect there to be better organisation between them/their office and Kelly but weddings are stressful and it seems not to be the first thing the was a bit rushed about the wedding. Its the attitude and language used that causes issues because getting stroppy and rude to a member of staff for something that is not her fault is just downright rude (not to say stupid given how close Angela Kelly is said to be to HM) and really shows Harry in a bad light.

Last edited:
Wouldn't know. But she may have just thought she could ask for it. Or didn't think.

I agree, I dont think there was any big plan to refuse Meghan, or that she was demanding. IMO the hairdresser or whoever needed to come over at a certain time and Meghan thought all she had to do was ask for the Tiara to be brought over, not appreciating it was not as straight forward as that.

A number of posts have been deleted which were off topic.

Recent discussion centres around the tiara Meghan chose for her wedding. However, this should NOT result in a broader discussion about her hairdresser, wedding dress or indeed the wedding dresses of other members of the royal family.

In order for ALL members to keep up to date with the various themes contained in the book, we MUST stay on topic. Thank you.

If the Angela Kelly/tiara story is true, it's another example of what I referred to previously about Harry being the least qualified person to guide Meghan into her role. To be fair, reports of Charles flying into rages at staff are numerous so his own role-model hasn't been brilliant either. It's interesting though isn't it that it was Meghan who has been vilified in the global press for throwing a tantrum about not getting the tiara she wanted and being 'slapped down' by the Queen for it.

I think that ratehr than "What Meghan wants Meg gets" it would be more accurate to say that Harry and Meg both think that they should have whatever they want..... and get annoyed at any refusals.
And in some ways H is more to blame, because he is a royal and should know the restrictions of the role.. whereas there's some excuse for Meg not knowing them. I dont know if He is so attached to Meg that he is sometimes afraid to put her straight on things, because he is so happy that she has married him.. and does not want to lose her...or whether he honestly doesn't know that the job comes with restrictions and rules..
Im very confused about them, as they are so volatile.. I dont know if the decision to leave was a really long standing plan.. maybe thought up by both of them at the time of marriage ro soon after.. Maybe he said to her "OK, this job will have restrictions but we can get out of it in a few years"...
OR maybe she got angry and upset soon after her marriage and wanted out so he was willing to go along with it..

Unless the "friend" was actually named, the statement remains as questionable and not credible information. Did someone actually *see* Harry go ballistic or did the story grow from a whispered game of telephone?

Y'know, I've never bought into the statement "What Meghan wants, Meghan gets" in the context that its been portrayed since someone reported Harry to have said that. How I interpreted it is that, like many bridegrooms- to-be, he just wanted Meghan to have the wedding details to be as what would make her happy. If Meghan had wanted a Betazoid wedding, Harry would probably have complied but I do think that both of them would have gotten a lot of flak for it especially as the wedding was going to be televised. :D

Do you think too many readers are actually Treckies or have an ide3a what is so special on a Betazoid wedding???:D:D

And family on the inside...

LaRae

I'm not sure why family would talk to a reporter when they very rarely do...As I've said, i think that if approached by Omid, the staff might feel that Meg and H would want them to speak and put forward a favourable view of the couple.. and friends might do the same.

Do you think too many readers are actually Treckies or have an ide3a what is so special on a Betazoid wedding???:D:D

I am not really a Trekkie, but I know about Betazed weddings. I understand ST is not such a part of popular culture in Europe as it is in America. Should the OP have used a Dr Who reference instead?

I am not really a Trekkie, but I know about Betazed weddings. I understand ST is not such a part of popular culture in Europe as it is in America. Should the OP have used a Dr Who reference instead?

Just was using an example of a really far out in left galaxy wedding idea that Harry may have gone along with to please Meghan but the rest of us would be wondering if they both should be suited up in pristine white jackets with shiny buckles. :D

I took Kataryn's post to indicate she knew exactly what I was talking about hence the :D :D

BTW: Us Americans also have different meanings for words spelled differently. Naked means you don't have clothes on. Nekkid means you're up to something. :lol:

[...]

The shocking bit (if true) is the total lack of planning/communication over when the tiara would be available and for that, nobody should blame a woman who wouldn't have a clue about protocol over keys to royal jewellery. It's Harry's fault for assuming he could just get them unlocked when it suited him and that's probably why he was so enraged because his error was exposed in front of Meghan.

I distinctly remember reading that Kate and her hairdressing team used a toy tiara to practice with in the runup to the wedding...why was Serge Norment unwilling to consider this?

Were they unable to locate a "tinsel tiara" or was there something about the hairstyle itself that necessitated having the real one handy?

In any case IF this story is authentic, it reflects badly on Harry and not Meghan. How was she to know/understand the protocol of obtaining access to Royal tiaras? Even before he met Meghan I have always gotten the whiff of a truculent, cosseted, not overly bright brat from Harry. I am glad to hear that the queen is not shy about putting him in his place.

This is purely Harry's faux faux pas. Not Meghan's.

Yes and you are choosing to think he is lying based on no evidence or anything to support it.

LaRae

Sorry but he's a good friend of Meghan. How in the heck would anyone know this much private information? Two answers

1. They leaked it to him and he covered for them
2. They leaked it to a friend or Doria and she leaked it to Omid

Either way if they claim they want freedom/privacy, they leaked private information behind the castle/palace grounds and it's attempting to hurt the reputation of William, Kate and the Royal Family. Who else would know that information???

To clarify, I am convinced they collaborated. However, people sometimes forget that Charles openly worked with the Dimbleby book, which was critical of the queen and Prince Philip. It took a few years but the relationship has recovered. Harry and Meghan's intent may have been to gain an advantage over other family members but the revelations are pretty mild. If the nastiest thing he can say about Kate is that she didn't take Meghan shopping - she must be a saint.

But the book implies racism towards the Royal family. That one quote is quite damning and it seems Harry/Meghan are upset so they want to harm Kate & William. The comment where Harry claims "William is a snob" for telling his brother not to rush into a marriage um it's likely because he saw they were moving fast and he/Kate have 10 years of history before getting married. Then they complained they didn't get the best royal events umm okay you're sixth in line Harry. You're behind the Queen, Charles, Camila Kate and William. Heck he's now even further down because of William's kids. I will say Meghan was jealous of Kate and she didn't like the how the RF works and she hated standing behind Kate. There's a lot of photos of her unhappy.

I think the book burns all bridges. The Sussex title will be removed, heck they may not ever go back to London and just imagine when William takes the throne later in life. I feel bad for Archie. He's growing up without his cousins and the other half of his family. He'll be wondering why his cousins are Prince, Princesses and he's not, and he won't have any relationship with them.

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom