Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it's clear they had a strong hand in this book. They denounce and pursue legal action about virtually everything that is being published about their lives yet do not denounce this book fully and completely? All they say is they did not contribute? Ridiculous! Why aren't they outraged and suing like they are about everything other invasion of privacy? Their actions say so much about this and I am sure it will come out eventually.

Last edited:
To follow that logic then they must of also contributed to Lady Campbell's book because they haven't denounced it or carried on about it either. Them not issuing a statement is not a indication they were involved.

LaRae

Perhaps, however as I am sure you are well aware Omid has close ties with the couple whereas Lady Campbell does not.

Close ties? That depends on what you mean by that. Regardless, their lack of 'denouncement' doesn't mean they had a thing to do with his and Carolyn's book. Omid has said 6 ways to Sunday they were not involved. He reiterated it again a couple days ago on Twitter. He's said it in interviews etc as well. You can feel free to ask him, he responds often on his Twitter account.

LaRae

Their lack of denouncement can mean anything. I'm sure he has signed a non-disclosure agreement lol! Anyways, I'm free to state my opinion.

If you think he's a liar and Carolyn is a liar that's up to you. Not a thing was said about you not being free to say what you think. I just pointed out what's been said and that you can easily pop over to Twitter and actually ask him or read his previous replies about it.

LaRae

Nobody here has read this book yet as it hasn't been released. All we've had have been snippets and excerpts chosen for an audience of newspaper readers.

To claim that what we've seen so far is all the authors have to say on the subject is IMO like claiming you've solved a jigsaw puzzle when half the pieces are missing.

I'm from the Commonwealth and have it on pre-order with Amazon Aus. And incidentally, the last time I looked this book was number One on Amazon UK (prerelease) so some Brits must be interested in reading the whole instead of micro-dissecting tit-bits and deciding that the subjects of the book are 'guilty as charged'!

I haven't listened to Omid's podcast in a while but the most recent one he talked about the book the last 10 min of the show. He pointed out at least twice that some media are stating things that the book says, but that it doesn't say what they are claiming.

LaRae

Today’s “Finding Freedom” revelation.

The Sussex couple actually got engaged in 2017 earlier than first thought.

The Prince “popped the question” in August of that year.

The future Duchess’ wearing of the oversized white “Husband” shirt at their appearance together at the Invictus Games in Toronto was a signal apparently.

All these winks to the media ,and the watching public, in the early days of their relationship - jewellery, hugging bananas, dog sweaters, “Kiss Me” candy.

Maybe you had to be in the inner circle of friends, and these signals were more for them.

And something actually positive from the book - the Duchess adored little Princess Charlotte and this won her mother over.

“Finding Freedom” is also saying the Sussexes spent a lot of time - when everyone was living at KP - with the Cambridge’s. They very much took to all three of the little children.

No - I remember when the media came out with they were together because Meghan was sending signals. Harry's bracelet that she copied, the ridiculous spooning bananas and the H&M necklace among other broad hints. It was obvious she was trying to out the relationship early and she did. She may have regretted it later but at the time she seemed to want people to know they were an item. And this was before they announced they were an item.

I agree that the fact that H and M haven't denounced the book or sued means nothing.

What does mean something is the apparent (reported) level of inside information in the book. People talked. Palace insiders probably talked. Close friends certainly talked. Either Meghan and Harry's friends aren't that trustworthy, or Meghan and Harry gave permission for them to talk.

I always add at the end of these posts--in my opinion much of the tabloid press treated Meghan unfairly, and much of the coverage was racist and classist. Both H and M could have dealt with it if they wanted to, even if the "palace" advised them to ignore it. H and M are adults.

Anyway you look at it, this kind of book will probably do them few favours; it appears to show them as all too willing to adopt victim personae.

Based on Omid's own words I am still convinced that information was exchanged between the couple and Omid in whatever way or form. However, I agree with Pranter and others that them not suing the authors isn't proof that they did provide information (directly and/or indirectly). While they might be prone to sue, they don't sue each and every person/entity that prints a story about them - if so, they would have far more lawsuits going on.

What are they supposed to sue about in this case (the book isn't even out yet)? Because if they sue, it must be about something that they can proof (and are willing to proof - as they've learned that lots of information that they might not want out in the open can be required) is false.

The difference with Lady C's book was that it contained nothing new and was based largely on reports we had already read as gossip about the couple and making a huge fuss about it would actually just draw attention to a book that apart from on forums like this and the odd newspaper report few people had read or were that bothered about. This book has had huge coverage for several days in national and international media with all sources reporting the speculation as to whether H&M were involved at all.

In this book there are clearly details which (if true) could only have come from wither the couple or friends who are remarkably close to them in regular contact (to the extent they'd talk about whether or not they were in the bath when they messaged someone). As such by now, if they had nothing to do with the book, I'd have expected at least a denouncement of the facts by H&M or fallout from friends speaking out- if you want a quiet private life and your closest friends are reporting such minute details as those n the book I'd be telling them I want nothing more to do with them. Of course that could be happening in private so let's just wait and see. If the couple do an interview at any point in the future it would be interesting to see if anyone asks them outright.

As to Omid saying H&M weren't involved - didn't he say they weren't interviewed? Which leaves some wiggle room. Also this is the guy who lied to a Times newspaper reporter about his own age so I'm not yet taking everything he says (including the book) as fact. To be honest it gives credence to the fact the book could be full of lies - but if it is I'd have expected H&M to say so by now.

Last edited:
What do you mean by referencing Clarence House? How does Charles have anything to do with this?

I really doubt that Harry and Meghan opened up to staff; IF any staff contributed (and frankly I take anything Omid says with a huge shaker of salt), it's probably more along the lines of things they heard off-hand as opposed to directly from the horses' mouths.

This book is not going to help them. Omid and Durand may have intended one thing, but they're getting another. This book was supposed to be H and M's spin, lol.......that's the pathetic thing. You can not make a silk's purse from a sow's ear.

Tommy:

Most of America doesn't really care about the Monarchy and couldn't care less about Harry and Meghan. Now, in the middle of a devastating pandemic that is ruining lives and livelihoods......in the middle of racial and police crises[......] Now they think the book will help them? I'm sure they will have their fans (those who love Harry because of Diana and love Meghan because of Harry; let's face it, M was not exactly a household name before she dated him)........but most of America doesn't give a fig about them, and if they do read the book, will probably end up rolling their eyes.

They have moved ot the US and intend to work there so they are going to have build some kind of base there. If Americans dotn take any interest in them, how are they going to make a living? They need to be noticed, to have a profile so that they will get speaking engagements or other commercial deals.
I agree that its possible that even if they didn't deliberately help with the book, they at least are hopeful that Omid as a friend, will have produced a book which gives a sympathetic picture of "their side" which will attract Americans to like them and do business with them. And unless Omid made the whole thing up, he had some help from SOMEONE. Probably M and H's staff have spoken to him. Whether with their sanction or not.

If you think he's a liar and Carolyn is a liar that's up to you. Not a thing was said about you not being free to say what you think. I just pointed out what's been said and that you can easily pop over to Twitter and actually ask him or read his previous replies about it.

LaRae
Omid is not going to say taht H and Meg had a direct hand in the book.. and its possibly true, as it was true that Diana did not know Andrew Morton and had never spoken directly to him.. but she was the source for his book. ANd people said at the time that she must have known about it as her friends would not have talked freely without her say so...

Omid has made his recent career on having inside information from Harry and Meghan..If he wrote this book without any sort of cooperation or consent from them, then he’s committing career suicide, since H and M would freeze him out. Then where would that leave him? There are other reasons that I believe H and M consented to the information in the book, but this is the most brutally practical one. This book is not worth the sacrifice of all the other information Omid would be getting over the years...

The difference with Lady C's book was that it contained nothing new and was based largely on reports we had already read as gossip about the couple and making a huge fuss about it would actually just draw attention to a book that apart from on forums like this and the odd newspaper report few people had read or were that bothered about. This book has had huge coverage for several days in national and international media with all sources reporting the speculation as to whether H&M were involved at all.

In.

Ldy CC always writes something that has a great big chunk of fantasy in it.. its not unusual and AFAIK, she has no real connections with the RF..
If royals were to sue her every time she gets something wildly off beam, they'd do nothing else.
But this is indeed a book by a royal reporter and one who apparently is considered trustworthy and one of the few ones that H and M like.. He HAS got some contact with them, and Im sure also with friends and staff.
SO if his book is not reasonably accurate then if I were H and Meg I'd be annoyed. I'd feel "how can we trust ANYONE if this guy whom we liked and trusted, is making loads of stuff up or getting things wrong."
He may be using his imagination a little bit, over stuff like exactly how H and Meg felt about each other, but its not unreasonable to guess/assume that they felt an emotional connection and that things moved fast.
And I cant imagine him making up stuff about whether Meg was in the bath when she texted someone. That detail must have comes from someone who knew...

Omid has made his recent career on having inside information from Harry and Meghan..If he wrote this book without any sort of cooperation or consent from them, then he’s committing career suicide, since H and M would freeze him out. Then where would that leave him? There are other reasons that I believe H and M consented to the information in the book, but this is the most brutally practical one. This book is not worth the sacrifice of all the other information Omid would be getting over the years...

Possbily, if they feel that this book however it was intentioned, ISNT going to make them look good, they will give him the freeze anyway!

Omid is not going to say taht H and Meg had a direct hand in the book.. and its possibly true, as it was true that Diana did not know Andrew Morton and had never spoken directly to him.. but she was the source for his book. ANd people said at the time that she must have known about it as her friends would not have talked freely without her say so...

The fact that five friends of Meghan/the couple talked in detail to People Magazine almost certainly with her blessing is the subject of a court case right now. It's certainly not inconceivable that the same tactic "Will no one tell Omid Scobie our side of the story?!" was used here.

Combined with the details that could only come from sources *very* close to them and acknowledging some of the tabloid stories had some truth but going "here's the couple's side (no they aren't blaming HM!)" smacks of the People story as well.

You should *always* take books like this with a massive dose of salt but it's not like royals, celebrities and this couple in particular haven't done this before despite "nothing but the truth" denials from the writers.

If Omid was writing 99% fantasy fanfiction then it's not going to help his career very much.

The fact that five friends of Meghan/the couple talked in detail to People Magazine almost certainly with her blessing is the subject of a court case right now. It's certainly not inconceivable that the same tactic "Will no one tell Omid Scobie our side of the story?!" was used here.

Combined with the details that could only come from sources *very* close to them and acknowledging some of the tabloid stories had some truth but going "here's the couple's side (no they aren't blaming HM!)" smacks of the People story as well.

You should *always* take books like this with a massive dose of salt but it's not like royals, celebrities and this couple in particular haven't done this before despite "nothing but the truth" denials from the writers.

If Omid was writing 99% fantasy fanfiction then it's not going to help his career very much.
I dont think royal reportage is a career with high standards. However, Its possible that it was something like he approached Meg's friends and staff for info and they either decided off their own bat that Meg would want them to speak about her favorably, and did so... or that they asked her if she'd mind if they helped Omid with his new book and Meg consented because she believed the book would be favourable.

royal staff do leak at times usually I think because they want to boost "their particular Royal" in the press.. or defend them against negative comments.
And they do it sometimes with the tacit consent of their boss. Same with Friends. I think that Di's friends believed that speaking to Morton was going to help Diana, by putting out her story, and hinting that her marriage was in a bad way but not through her fault and that she was lonely and struggling to do a good job. But it probably would have been wiser had they not collabourated with Morton.

This isn't just Omid's book....there's a co-author. From what I have understood she is fairly well thought of ...I don't think she has a history of lying etc. She has also said the same things Omid has.

LaRae

Possbily, if they feel that this book however it was intentioned, ISNT going to make them look good, they will give him the freeze anyway!

With their history, if I'm at all close to them, I wonder when I'll get the freeze......because it doesn't take much with Harry and Meghan to suddenly be cut out of their lives.

The thing that annoys me the most is that the papers that support them keep saying she "put up with abuse for years". She was barely in the royal family she didn't put up with anything. They left right away.

This isn't just Omid's book....there's a co-author. From what I have understood she is fairly well thought of ...I don't think she has a history of lying etc. She has also said the same things Omid has.

LaRae
I understand but her reliability cuts both ways. If the authors are reliable, then we can trust that the stories, such as Meghan communicating with people while bathing bath and Harry's lunch with the Queen, are accurate. Given the intimate detail, if the source(s) weren't Harry and Meghan themselves, it would have to be avery trusted friend. Since I doubt that close of a friend would betray them without their confidence, that indicates that Harry and Meghan indirectly cooperated with the book.

I understand but her reliability cuts both ways. If the authors are reliable, then we can trust that the stories, such as Meghan communicating with people while bathing bath and Harry's lunch with the Queen, are accurate. Given the intimate detail, if the source(s) weren't Harry and Meghan themselves, it would have to be avery trusted friend. Since I doubt that close of a friend would betray them without their confidence, that indicates that Harry and Meghan indirectly cooperated with the book.

Omid has said a couple times now (at least) that some of the stories being put out by the tabloids are not accurate to what the book says. He's been pretty adamant about it.

Stories can come from anyone on the inside...and that doesn't automatically mean The Sussexes. It's not exactly unheard of for staff or even family members to talk behind the scenes so to speak.

LaRae

Omid has said a couple times now (at least) that some of the stories being put out by the tabloids are not accurate to what the book says. He's been pretty adamant about it.

Stories can come from anyone on the inside...and that doesn't automatically mean The Sussexes. It's not exactly unheard of for staff or even family members to talk behind the scenes so to speak.

LaRae

Assuming that some of the stories ARE accurate, it seems that Meg and Harry's staff or friends must be talking. I can't imagine Omid deciding to make up a story about Meg being a bath when she texts someone...

Assuming that some of the stories ARE accurate, it seems that Meg and Harry's staff or friends must be talking. I can't imagine Omid deciding to make up a story about Meg being a bath when she texts someone...

Assuming what you are talking about is true...until I read the book myself to see what it really says, I don't trust the media/tabloid take on things since we know they distort and twist to suit their own agendas...and they have not read the book either.

If ppl were talking it's very possible it's staff, friends or even family on the inside of 'palace doors'.

LaRae

Campbell' s book must not be selling well for her to complain. I guess she thought hers would be the definitive book on the Sussexes.

The thing that annoys me the most is that the papers that support them keep saying she "put up with abuse for years". She was barely in the royal family she didn't put up with anything. They left right away.

The Sussexes didn't 'leave right away' at all. Meghan and Harry were engaged in November 2017. She took part in some events with the Royal Family during her engagement. The couple married in May 2018 and didn't leave the Royal Family until the end of March 2020.

The Sussexes didn't 'leave right away' at all. Meghan and Harry were engaged in November 2017. She took part in some events with the Royal Family during her engagement. The couple married in May 2018 and didn't leave the Royal Family until the end of March 2020.

They didn't do a lot really. Two trips, a couple, of events, the beginnings of some charity work. She was on maternity, quite rightly, for quite a large proportion. They were only beginning. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom