Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And if the suits (and skirts) at BP and KP were so helpful and generous to Meghan, doing all they could during her time as a Royal worker, what are we to make of the dozens of stories in the Press of the nicknames the staff had for Meghan, the jokes made behind her back, the complaints about her pushy work ethic, emails etc? What happened to the 'Never Explain, Never complain' mantra that is so heartily praised all the time, or doesn't that apply to staff? In fact there were constant leaks.

Very professional behaviour I don't think, leaking to the tabloids in that way, for people so devoted to Royal unity and working to make sure everything went smoothly! Or maybe it was dislike of Meghan from the beginning without giving her a chance, just as Harry has supposedly said.

We don’t know what Meghan was like to deal with. If she was jealous of other households, who knows what went on. Courtiers giving stories to newspapers have been going on for yours. Nothing new.

personally i'm still on the fence because i don't understand if the authors actually wanted to write a positive book and failed miserably, if they have seen this coming or are now flabbergasted at the respons it gets, if H&M will sue them too etc etc...

This is what baffles me. How does anyone think this book makes The Sussex’s look good is beyond me! Omid must be such a fan boy, that his view has been distorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was the grey suits at BP that Meghan supposedly called 'vipers', not the people who were on her team and advising her and Harry. And incidentally Samantha Cohen got on so badly with the Sussexes that she stayed on with them beyond the time when she was going to retire.

And if the suits (and skirts) at BP and KP were so helpful and generous to Meghan, doing all they could during her time as a Royal worker, what are we to make of the dozens of stories in the Press of the nicknames the staff had for Meghan, the jokes made behind her back, the complaints about her pushy work ethic, emails etc? What happened to the 'Never Explain, Never complain' mantra that is so heartily praised all the time, or doesn't that apply to staff? In fact there were constant leaks.

Very professional behaviour I don't think, leaking to the tabloids in that way, for people so devoted to Royal unity and working to make sure everything went smoothly! Or maybe it was dislike of Meghan from the beginning without giving her a chance, just as Harry has supposedly said.

I completely agree, Curryong. This is not a good look for those in the royals’ employ. It makes the principles sound weak and easily led by a group of snobby employees. And I still can’t get over the fact that KP still employs the guy whose boyfriend sold information to Dan Wooten. Boggles the mind.

The book isn't out yet, not published until August IIth. All we are seeing is excerpts in which the tabloid press has come out and emphasised some bits and ignored others. You can't get the full impression of the content of a book from cherry picking brief parts.

I mean I know its owned by Murdoch but calling the Times a tabloid is a bit much. The other papers are writing articles based on those parts.

They basically gave them permission to publish extracts and they have to have juicy bits to sell them. There will be a few more but honestly these extracts dealt with the biggest thing: wedding, megxit, Dad and the media.

I've read Camilla's biography and several of Charles's and their friends weren't backwards in coming forward for Penny Junor in those books, including talking about Camilla's feelings about the Charles/Dimbleby interview.

Scobie and Carolyn have never denied that they have spoken to people close to the Sussexes for this book.

Penny Juror was a sanctioned book to give Charles's side post the Diana book.

Oh, i'm not saying the quotes are not in the book ... but maybe the book contains other tidbits the media chooses not publish at the moment and that could balance out the image of H&M that is now emerging from what we get fed...

but like i said, with what surfaces now, the rest of the book will have a lot of recovery to do if any balance is to be found

personally i'm still on the fence because i don't understand if the authors actually wanted to write a positive book and failed miserably, if they have seen this coming or are now flabbergasted at the respons it gets, if H&M will sue them too etc etc...

They wont sue. It's their book.

I completely agree, Curryong. This is not a good look for those in the royals’ employ. It makes the principles sound weak and easily led by a group of snobby employees. And I still can’t get over the fact that KP still employs the guy whose boyfriend sold information to Dan Wooten. Boggles the mind.

Well there is no deniel in the book that the Sussexes themselves leaked stories. In fact they make the point that they were paranoid about leaked stories but also that the other teams believed that they were the leak wheel.

No Omid, who is just making a buck doing this will know very well, personally, where leaks came from and the fact he gives both points of view makes mr think it isn't straight forward. That the royals give stories about others to kill stories about them is well known. That they out right leak about eachother was never know before the H and M debacle.

I mean Charles has given stories about his sons in the past to make himself look good.

This is what baffles me. How does anyone think this book makes The Sussex’s look good is beyond me! Omid must be such a fan boy, that his view has been distorted.

he is probably putting the bes spin on their actions that he can?

They wont sue. It's their book.

Of course it is.........

And to the question asked above about why anyone (ie: the authors) would think this makes Harry and Meghan look good.............it's because the authors are as deluded as the Sussexes are. No one looking at this situation from outside H and M's ivory tower (or maybe it's their glass house.....oops, rather Tyler Perry's glass house) could possibly think that this setting the record straight is anything other than a vendetta for perceived slights by the BRF.

Penny Juror was a sanctioned book to give Charles's side post the Diana book.

Camilla's bio by Junor, which I have, came out in 2017, long after the Morton book. And it had several direct quotes from named friends like Jilly Cooper, talking about Camilla's feelings during the adultery years.

I mean I know its owned by Murdoch but calling the Times a tabloid is a bit much. The other papers are writing articles based on those parts.

They basically gave them permission to publish extracts and they have to have juicy bits to sell them. There will be a few more but honestly these extracts dealt with the biggest thing: wedding, megxit, Dad and the media.

I know the Times is not a tabloid. However, its stories are hidden behind a paywall. Most people don't subscribe to The Times, and in fact most of the extracts discussed on these threads have been from the DM, which, along with its fellow tabloids, have been mincing this all up nicely for the public, putting their own spin on it, keeping their columnists on the attack afterwards in their unbiased opinion pieces, etc etc.

Harry knows well what his position is, he is 6th, even I could work out that the photographs on the queens desk were signifying the continuity of the monarchy.
Regular royal watchers will have noticed the subtle or not so subtle changes preparing for that terrible moment when there is a change of monarch. Charles and William are stepping up ready for change.
I find it hard to believe that Harry doesn't understand this. Anne ,Andrew and Edward all had to step back once Charles had children. Harry is in the same position as them now that William has children. There was still a role for him just as the others still have a role to play.
If that story is really true it would be highly hypocritical of him. Before he got married he left no chances pass when being interviewed how much relieved he was about his growing distance to the throne with every child his elder brother and Catherine had! Was he lying about this?!

I know the Times is not a tabloid. However, its stories are hidden behind a paywall. Most people don't subscribe to The Times, and in fact most of the extracts discussed on these threads have been from the DM, which, along with its fellow tabloids, have been mincing this all up nicely for the public, putting their own spin on it, keeping their columnists on the attack afterwards in their unbiased opinion pieces, etc etc.

Well I have read them and the facts people are talking about, are in the book. Their opinions on it are their own.

Camilla's bio by Junor, which I have, came out in 2017, long after the Morton book. And it had several direct quotes from named friends like Jilly Cooper, talking about Camilla's feelings during the adultery years.

Yeah...mouthpiece. it is well known.

Of course it is.........

And to the question asked above about why anyone (ie: the authors) would think this makes Harry and Meghan look good.............it's because the authors are as deluded as the Sussexes are. No one looking at this situation from outside H and M's ivory tower (or maybe it's their glass house.....oops, rather Tyler Perry's glass house) could possibly think that this setting the record straight is anything other than a vendetta for perceived slights by the BRF.

Omid, and whatever her name is, are just making money. I can't blame them.

It isn't that well written however. Very soapy.

Or a 72 year old....but hey, HM, the Duke, Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, their kids, aunties and uncles...they aren’t so much human as Royal. They represent an institution that Harry and Meghan loathe, and therefore are stuck in the past, holding onto ancient traditions that H and M want desperately to break. H’s father, brother, sister-in-law, grandparents, nieces and nephews, etc...are monuments, relics of ages past, who don’t have any feelings to be respected.
They keep and save old traditions FOR the british people, it´s not a compulsion of them. These traditions, the US and many other nations do not have, are to be saved like old masterpieces, historic buildings or works of art because they reflect the identity of most british! Harry and his american wife or people who have not been born and raised in this "energy", might not understand or even "loathe" it, but they must learn they are not the "belly button of this world" and that millions of people do care! So, in that regard, they did the right thing to put themselves out of this environment they simply cannot appreciate nor value! I just wished they would stop this annoying moaning and selfpityness...
Harry, I´m pretty sure about, at some point has taken up a fight (against what he considers as the "establishment") his mother is not able to keep on fighting. It´s just a shame he doesn´t seem to care about many people´s feelings still very much alive, including those of the family he was born in. I feel very sorry for the Queen she has to endure all this, besides her concerns about her own son, in this last leg of her life after her most brilliant reign!

Last edited:
Of course it is.........

While the other books, by Lady Colin Campbell, Royals at War etc came out in attack mode and in some portions demeaned, made fun of and insulted Harry and Meghan. Is that better? This is one book, one, among the three others who came out in the last month that has something good and kind to say about the Sussexes, and tries to show things that went on from their perspective. Does every publication/book have to be anti Harry and Meghan to be regarded as truthful and honest and to gain approval?

Last edited:
While the other books, by Lady Colin Campbell, Royals at War etc came out in attack mode and in some portions demeaned, made fun of and insulted Harry and Meghan. Is that better? This is one book, one, among the three others who came out in the last month that has something good and kind to say about the Sussexes, and tries to show things that went on from their perspective. Does every publication/book have to be anti Harry and Meghan to be regarded as truthful and honest and to gain approval?

That is what makes me laugh about all of this. There have been 523535 books out about Harry and Meghan. Most of them negative. Have they sued? Nope. Have they commented? Nope. They not doing it with this one either. Yet those books were just fine to people. But this one isn't a 100% slam piece and it has everyone losing their minds. Yet I suspect if this was another book attacking them they would be praised.

Anyways... nothing in this book is really knew. I mean even the "Harry and the Queen had lunch" was mentioned when it happened. I recall even some papers had 'exclusives" on the meal at the time. I mean really if you have time and really looked though the MANY articles written about Harry and Meghan, you will likely find 90% of this book was already written twice over.

These writers just spun things in a different way.

And there is more from the book that most probably already knew...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1595867347

Harry apparently didn't want the year end review. Had to be talked into it.

Last edited:

I have no idea about Lady Colin's book but the other one is not negative about them. As far as I know and can tell, it just pointed out some self evident truths. She is culturally different and no one adapted. Thing is, it was for her to adapt if she was going to make it work.

This book isn't that positive about them to be honest. It kind of says th4 same things but remembers to mention how they got no help...every 5 minutes. So basically all those stories are true but the context is: Nobody helped us.

That is what makes me laugh about all of this. There have been 523535 books out about Harry and Meghan. Most of them negative. Have they sued? Nope. Have they commented? Nope. They not doing it with this one either. Yet those books were just fine to people. But this one isn't a 100% slam piece and it has everyone losing their minds. Yet I suspect if this was another book attacking them they would be praised.

Anyways... nothing in this book is really knew. I mean even the "Harry and the Queen had lunch" was mentioned when it happened. I recall even some papers had 'exclusives" on the meal at the time. I mean really if you have time and really looked though the MANY articles written about Harry and Meghan, you will likely find 90% of this book was already written twice over.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1595867347

I would venture that everyone is talking about it because we expected to read how badly they have been treated, and low and behold therenis nothing really there. They are up in arms because they can't see the problem. The just keeps reminding people they had to cope alone, the others let their teams talk to them about work. I would warrant that is unhealthy divide though. William and Kate never visited them in Oxford (they had a small baby), and didn't invite them round theirs at Kensington (see baby comment and that inviting a couple around indifferent from your single brother who just hangs out). His father was busy. His grandmother was busy. They wanted more help. I get that. But they had staff to help and the family do not deal with the media and it turns out most of the stories were true anyway...the actually stories not the opinion pieces.

Where do we go from here?
Is there a reconciliation on the cards for all parties concerned?
Is there a Xmas invitation in the post; big hugs all round, the past is the past, time to move on?
Or
Do we have a Duke and Duchess of Windsor situation; where the rift was never healed; and the Duke came back in 1972, to be buried on English soil.

Perhaps when he is discarded he will have another story to tell...

Is there a Xmas invitation in the post; big hugs all round, the past is the past, time to move on?
Or
Do we have a Duke and Duchess of Windsor situation; where the rift was never healed; and the Duke came back in 1972, to be buried on English soil.

Where they want it to go. I don't think all is well between the family and the Sussexes but I would bet money it isn't as dramatic as the press are hyping it to be. Let's not forget they need stories and they love playing things up to get papers sold, websites clicks, and viewed tuned in. That is the game they play.

A lot can happen by next March. I mean 2020 proves how quickly things can change. So who knows. Personally I think being apart will be good for all involved. By the time they return to the UK things might be calmer.

Or not. Time will tell.

I very much hope not. The events of the last few months have shown all of us how uncertain life can be. I hope that the Queen and Prince Philip both live for many years yet, but no-one lives for ever. The Queen was able to see her uncle during a visit to Paris not long before he died, and I bet she's always been grateful that she had that chance. Harry may end up with a lifetime of regret that he didn't try to heal the rift.

More than demonstrates I think that the Queen and the royal family did try to work with the couple to find a compromise and solutions to their issues. The book more or less seems to imply that didn't happen.

More than demonstrates I think that the Queen and the royal family did try to work with the couple to find a compromise and solutions to their issues. The book more or less seems to imply that didn't happen.

Not that I disagree that they didn't try to compromise but not sure how a year end review shows that. They are gone. It just isn't a clean break yet.

Or

Interesting questions.

I don't think the rift between Harry and his family will be so big, they won't welcome him back. There will be some wounds to heal, but that I think will not be a big hindrance.
After all Harry wasn't a potential national security risk, not does he harbor questionable political views.
Harry will especially be welcomed back by the family should he divorce. Naturally.
Should he and Meghan decide to return, she will as his wife also be welcomed or at least accepted back. (Because it's impossible to gauge the BRF members feelings for Meghan at present. We simply don't know.)

But will Harry again have a public role? Or will he be put on grass?
I think he will, at least initially, be given some obscure charity he can focus on, without too much attention. (A half-Andrew so to speak.) It all depends under what circumstances he returns, when and under whose reign. As well as the public view on Harry.
He sure can forget all about having the same prominent role he had beforehand! Too much damage has been done.

Also, being welcomed back to the family, doesn't mean he will be physically together with the family. He may very well be de facto exiled, only to appear with the family a prominent events.

Meghan has a supporting role here, unless the family clearly believe she had no responsibility for this mess. I.e. they blame Harry for it all. She is her husband's wife, and that will be it! IMO. There will be no platform for her either.

Now for a hypothetical, but IMO far from unlikely, scenario. H&M divorce.
Statistically it is very much a possibility.
IMO it is a probability in regards to H&M.
Infatuations have a tendency to burn out, like a nova. I.e. dramatic but short-lived.
It is my impression that Harry was not happy before marrying Meghan.
I doubt very much he is happy in his present life and the future prospects...? Well...
He may one day look around in the mansion, they have borrowed. In a foreign country. In a different culture - in every definition of the word! I.e. a Hollywoodsk culture.
Looking at the calendar it's another day of doing... what?
He is no longer in contact with his family. He has AFAIK left most of his old friends behind. He is shunned by the public in his own country. The public in his new country don't care. That's a big culture shock for someone who has never known anything else.
He has no charities anymore. No purpose. Little contact with ordinary people, for whom he genuinely means something and for whom he can do something.

That will put a strain on even the happiest marriage and might very well plunge Harry into a genuine depression.
And Meghan. She is looking at a disillusioned shell of a husband who very likely will have lost his drive. Where is the dynamic Harry who wanted to change the world? You can't live on mirages in the long run.
So unless they find a purpose with their lives, in particular Harry, their marriage will face a serious crisis. - It's brutal psychology.

There is a very good chance I'll be wrong with this thought pattern, but there is also a good chance I'll be right.

Last edited:
If it’s true they read about themselves, they can’t possibly be happy with some of the reviews of the snippets. I’m sure there will be a reaction none of us can even fathom at this point ...

Currently I don't see that happening . Harry really seems to have way too many issues with his role as William's younger brother and the drop in status once George , Charlotte and Louis were born . And nobody can change that but Harry and he feels too much like a hard done by victim to bring sense into it .

I believe Harry will dismayed about the conditions some of the papers are putting out for his return ....without Meghan and Archie

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...op-listening-two-women-life-meghan-diana/amp/

Basically Harry, have Meghan behave like a Stepford Wife/Fem-bot and all is forgiven. I feel like the BM's role with the Royal Family is to pick out their spouses for them. Meghan has not committed a crime in the UK nor is found to be a national security threat. You would think that with the coverage she gets. I also think the media is trying to pressure Harry to abandon Meghan and Archie.

Yeah it has been a bit eye opening the amount of articles I have seen that basically imply Harry should leave Meghan and Archie in LA and return home. Fascinating.

Yeah it has been a bit eye opening the amount of articles I have seen that basically imply Harry should leave Meghan and Archie in LA and return home. Fascinating.

This is the part that’s disgusting. The belief that he should abandon his wife and only child to go back to the UK. It’s madness and no decent human being would do something so terrible

This is the part that’s disgusting. The belief that he should abandon his wife and only child to go back to the UK. It’s madness and no decent human being would do something so terrible

I do not see these articles anywhere. Whatever is on SM or in comments is another thing.

That people think he can return to work some people have stated. But that isn't asking him to abandon his child.

I would venture that everyone is talking about it because we expected to read how badly they have been treated, and low and behold therenis nothing really there. They are up in arms because they can't see the problem. The just keeps reminding people they had to cope alone, the others let their teams talk to them about work. I would warrant that is unhealthy divide though. William and Kate never visited them in Oxford (they had a small baby), and didn't invite them round theirs at Kensington (see baby comment and that inviting a couple around indifferent from your single brother who just hangs out). His father was busy. His grandmother was busy. They wanted more help. I get that. But they had staff to help and the family do not deal with the media and it turns out most of the stories were true anyway...the actually stories not the opinion pieces.

Just my two cents, but I don't really see why William and Kate couldn't invite Harry and Meghan over for lunch or dinner. Or why Kate couldn't visit a new sister in law. Is it their responsibility Meghan felt welcome/safe/needed guidance? Probably not.. But if I had been Kate and if I had lived through the nonsense with the press and if I had read what was written about my new sister-in-law, I'd visit. I have a feeling (and my personal opinion), it wasn't guidance Meghan wanted. Just someone who had been in the same position.
By the time Meghan had Archie, Louis was 1 year old. He wasn't a newborn baby. We have a baby so we can't visit seems like a flimsy excuse for two people who have staff and a nanny. I'm sure they managed to visit other friends and family.

Just my two cents, but I don't really see why William and Kate couldn't invite Harry and Meghan over for lunch or dinner. Or why Kate couldn't visit a new sister in law. Is it their responsibility Meghan felt welcome/safe/needed guidance? Probably not.. But if I had been Kate and if I had lived through the nonsense with the press and if I had read what was written about my new sister-in-law, I'd visit. I have a feeling (and my personal opinion), it wasn't guidance Meghan wanted. Just someone who had been in the same position.
By the time Meghan had Archie, Louis was 1 year old. He wasn't a newborn baby. We have a baby so we can't visit seems like a flimsy excuse for two people who have staff and a nanny. I'm sure they managed to visit other friends and family.

The book says that when Kate did reach out it was met with silence or whatever so she thought everything was fine. She has her own family, and her brother had just come off the back of a hard time.

But didn’t Omid report that Kate and William did visit? Now he seems to be changing his

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celeb...am-visit-meghan-markle-prince-harry-frogmore/

Prince William & Duchess Kate Have Visited Meghan at Frogmore Cottage

Last edited:

No, and I’ve never thought, believed or said here that there should be a litany of (or even one) books attacking Harry and Meghan. I just believe that this book, despite it being supportive of those two, actually doesn’t make them look good.

I very much hope not. The events of the last few months have shown all of us how uncertain life can be. I hope that the Queen and Prince Philip both live for many years yet, but no-one lives for ever. The Queen was able to see her uncle during a visit to Paris not long before he died, and I bet she's always been grateful that she had that chance. Harry may end up with a lifetime of regret that he didn't try to heal the rift.

Reports indicated that William and Harry started to talk after their father came down with COVID. Fortunately Charles recovered, but hopefully Harry will understand that it may not always work out that well, and that sometimes it is too late. I don’t want him to ever live with that regret - in fact, the same regret they have that they didn’t really want to speak to their mum in that last phone call before the tragedy.

Currently I don't see that happening . Harry really seems to have way too many issues with his role as William's younger brother and the drop in status once George , Charlotte and Louis were born . And nobody can change that but Harry and he feels too much like a hard done by victim to bring sense into it .

I can’t help thinking if he subconsciously resents George...or Charlotte and Louis, both on his behalf and Archie’s

Reports indicated that William and Harry started to talk after their father came down with COVID. Fortunately Charles recovered, but hopefully Harry will understand that it may not always work out that well, and that sometimes it is too late. I don’t want him to ever live with that regret - in fact, the same regret they have that they didn’t really want to speak to their mum in that last phone call before the tragedy.

That was an illogical regret of childhood. And it is only Harry that expresses that. A mark of being growing up is ceasing to blame yourself for what a child did.

Regrets he may have because of actions now are very real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom