Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The jealousy claim is ridiculous, aimed to get clicks. I saw no comments from Scobie's Twitter as of now. I would rather hear from Scobie or read the transcripts. The statement from the Sussexes for not having a role in the book sounds like some noses are about to get bloodied, and not theirs.

Didn't she explicitly state in her South Africa interview that her friends tried to warn her (about the tabloids) but that she didn't take it seriously.

Found the exact wording
"My friends were really happy because I was so happy but my British friends said to me 'I am sure he is great but you shouldn't do it 'cause the British tabloids will destroy your life' and I, very naively, I am an American we don't have that there, 'what are you talking about?, that doesn't make any sense, I am not in tabloids'. I didn't get it."

Oh lord, what America is SHE living in that she thinks we don't have nasty tabloids?

I don't think that was the best advice her friends could have given her. I mean, she loved Harry, so instead of saying she shouldn't marry him, they would have been much better off suggesting ways for her to deal with the idiotic and at times cruel media.

I’m a little confused as to whether this book is supposed to be flattering or unflattering toward the Sussexes. It’s been touted as something that will “get the story straight” so I was expecting reports about how they were mistreated or ignored by the RF and courtiers but these early reports are painting them more like spoiled children who didn’t get their way so threw a tantrum and quit.

I think the authors probably thought that this would be flattering for the Sussexes as perhaps many could identify with their wanting to leave the "stifling" atmosphere of the BRF, to have more freedom, etc.. The problem is, the monarchy is a thousand year old institution - the fact that it is tradition bound comes as no surprise to anyone. Harry, I'm looking at you. Another problem for the Sussexes is that both the British public and most Americans in general think H and M treated the BRF, specifically HM and Charles, very badly, and with a great deal of disrespect. So, setting the record straight is only going to hurt the Sussexes reputation.

My mind has been blown by the idea that H and M thought they deserved a bigger role in the BRF because of the success of their wedding. It was a WEDDING, for pete's sake, not TV show. Good grief........and Harry's jealousy of William is poisonous to their relationship. I guess he never understood the special role his older brother had and will always have - but it's not as if he isn't just as loved and valued.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the authors probably thought that this would be flattering for the Sussexes as perhaps many could identify with their wanting to leave the "stifling" atmosphere of the BRF, to have more freedom, etc.. The problem is, the monarchy is a thousand year old institution - the fact that it is tradition bound comes as no surprise to anyone. Harry, I'm looking at you. Another problem for the Sussexes is that both the British public and most Americans in general think H and M treated the BRF, specifically HM and Charles, very badly, and with a great deal of disrespect. So, setting the record straight is only going to hurt the Sussexes reputation.

My mind has been blown by the idea that H and M thought they deserved a bigger role in the BRF because of the success of their wedding. It was a WEDDING, for pete's sake, not TV show. Good grief........and Harry's jealousy of William is poisonous to their relationship. I guess he never understood the special role his older brother had and will always have - but it's not as if he isn't just as loved and valued.

I believe they misjudged the entire situation . Looking back to the Africa tour and the infamous interview , followed by the announcement of the Daily Mail law suit , it seems clear to me that they thought the general public would be on their side at this point. Harry and Meghan, the victims of a relentless tabloid campaign that has them merely surviving not thriving . Harry and Meghan , the victims of a cold court system that doesn't care about an individual's emotional needs . The problem is that this narrative came after a summer full of "do as I say, not as I do" coverage and the thrive not just survive statement was made after visiting poor African communities which made them come across as absolutely tone deaf. And ever since then they've tried to get the control over their image back , except they don't seem to listen to anyone and are digging and digging and digging and by the speed they are going , should reach China soon .

Oh my.

Page Six has more from "Finding Freedom".

The book - not Page Six itself - says the Duke and Duchess had planned to make a "suprise visit" to Her Majesty straight from the airport terminal on their final trip back to the UK.

They had been told The Queen was un-available for a month and they wanted to argue their case to her straight away.

That's a "wow" from me then.

The book now labelled a "chandelier rattler"! :lol:

Mr Scobie and Ms Durand may have a best-seller on their hands.

https://pagesix.com/2020/07/24/new-meghan-and-harry-book-describes-royal-jealousy-megxit-tensions/

Last edited:
The DM is paraphrasing the extract from The Times ... which I have read.

Thanks Iluvbertie.

Would you would care to share here - over the coming days as the actual excerpts are released and serialised by the TImes/Times on Sunday.

I have just read the Reuters release of the Duke and Duchess stepping away from this book.

Any insights from your reading of those papers would be appreciated by many here I think.

Thanks Iluvbertie.

Would you would care to share here - over the coming days as the actual excerpts are released and serialised by the TImes/Times on Sunday.

I have just read the Reuters release of the Duke and Duchess stepping away from this book.

Any insights from your reading of those papers would be appreciated by many here I think.

You just need to read any of the online papers. They are all summarising what the Times has extracted. The Daily Mail summary is as good as any.

I believe they misjudged the entire situation . Looking back to the Africa tour and the infamous interview , followed by the announcement of the Daily Mail law suit , it seems clear to me that they thought the general public would be on their side at this point. Harry and Meghan, the victims of a relentless tabloid campaign that has them merely surviving not thriving . Harry and Meghan , the victims of a cold court system that doesn't care about an individual's emotional needs . The problem is that this narrative came after a summer full of "do as I say, not as I do" coverage and the thrive not just survive statement was made after visiting poor African communities which made them come across as absolutely tone deaf. And ever since then they've tried to get the control over their image back , except they don't seem to listen to anyone and are digging and digging and digging and by the speed they are going , should reach China soon .

:previous:

Oh my.

Page Six has more from "Finding Freedom".

The book - not Page Six itself - says the Duke and Duchess had planned to make a "suprise visit" to Her Majesty straight from the airport terminal on their final trip back to the UK.

They had been told The Queen was un-available for a month and they wanted to argue their case to her straight away.

That's a "wow" from me then.

The book now labelled a "chandelier rattler"! :lol:

Mr Scobie and Ms Durand may have a best-seller on their hands.

https://pagesix.com/2020/07/24/new-meghan-and-harry-book-describes-royal-jealousy-megxit-tensions/

Good decision not to surprise HM, lol..probably the only good decision they’ve made lately...

You just need to read any of the online papers. They are all summarising what the Times has extracted. The Daily Mail summary is as good as any.

Thanks VictoriaB.

There seems to be so much pouring out at the moment my eyes are starting to get strained.

Or maybe it's my brain that's starting to not quite cope with the deluge this has brought forth. :lol:

Well, well, well....

When she and Prince Harry officially quit the royal family in March, Meghan Markle reportedly tearfully told a friend: “I gave up my entire life for this family. I was willing to do whatever it takes. But here we are. It’s very sad.”

“The powers [of the institution] are unfortunately greater than me,” she is also reported to have said. She likened tabloid criticism to “death by a thousand cuts.”

Harry likened the negotiations around his and Meghan’s royal exit to “standing in front of a firing squad,” the book claims.

At one point, as Harry scrolled through negative comments online about his and Meghan’s behavior, he is reported to have said: “It’s a sick part of the society we live in today, and no one is doing anything about it. Where’s the positivity? Why is everyone so miserable and angry?”

There’s a lot more....and it’s just whining, complaining, stamping of the feet from these spoiled brats.

I loathe Meghan’s martyr complex. I loathe her disdain for the BRF (“this family”).
I loathe the fact that she acts as if she’s the only one who has ever been deep,y hurt by the media.

I despise Harry’s jealousy. His brother is going to be king and he’s never come to terms with it. He seems to take any attention that William gets personally - and when he’s not given or allowed to do something, he turns green. I don’t blame Kate for not being welcoming to H and M at the Commonwealth service, being adult about it forgoing the procession thanks to her in-laws upset. Of course Kate is going to be protective of her husband if she believes the Sussexes have behaved badly to them...

This book is going to make H and M look awful

https://www.thedailybeast.com/its-bleak-trumps-great-american-comeback-is-a-dumpster-fire?ref=scroll

Thanks ACO.

I understand one of the Duchess' favourite words has, for a long time, been "classy".

It seems classy to me that the serialisation of "Finding Freedom" is being done by The TImes and The Sunday Times, rather than some of the other outlets.

I hope that is a comfort for the Duchess at least.

Code:
Well, well, well....

There’s a lot more....and it’s just whining, complaining, stamping of the feet from these spoiled brats.

I loathe Meghan’s martyr complex. I loathe her disdain for the BRF (“this family”).
I loathe the fact that she acts as if she’s the only one who has ever been deep,y hurt by the media.

I despise Harry’s jealousy. His brother is going to be king and he’s never come to terms with it. He seems to take any attention that William gets personally - and when he’s not given or allowed to do something, he turns green. I don’t blame Kate for not being welcoming to H and M at the Commonwealth service, being adult about it forgoing the procession thanks to her in-laws upset. Of course Kate is going to be protective of her husband if she believes the Sussexes have behaved badly to them...

This book is going to make H and M look awful

https://www.thedailybeast.com/its-bleak-trumps-great-american-comeback-is-a-dumpster-fire?ref=scroll

I have to agree that it is starting to look that way Betsypaige.

And that really suprises me - totally different to what I was expecting of it.

Code:

No, the problem is that they feel wronged and like they were denied things they were owed and they seem to be incapable of any self reflection. They don't see that they come across as whiny and less mature than my 4 year old niece, they think they are setting the story straight.

I wonder why they didn't go through Charles more to plead their case to the Queen. Surely he would have more of a direct line to the Queen and that would have been the proper channel to follow. Perhaps they did and I've missed something or they're just being careful not to say too much in case it reflects badly on him or affects their finances. Charles' role seems to be missing in all this and there seems to be a communication gaping hole in the whole situation.

You can tell the authors tried their hardest to minimize the Sussexes mistakes and to explain it away with an excuse of overflowing emotions overriding their common sense. But you can't dress-up a dumpster fire so even with carte blanche sympathy, the writers still make H&M look impulsive, hot-headed, immature and grandiose.

The BRF are apparently quite insensitive because they sent the tantrumming toddlers to timeout instead of rewarding the hissy fit with extra cuddles and ice cream.

My takeaway from the excerpts was that H&M were like a recklessly self-thrown bowling ball, with the UK public and media being the bowling pins. The BRF were the automatic bumper guards, trying to keep the reckless bowling ball from flopping in the gutter. But the bowling ball was so wild it blew past the guard, bounced through several lanes, smacked into the concession stand before rolling out the building, whilst the bowling pins in the original lane are still standing.

I think this book will have a similar reaction to their African interview.

No, the problem is that they feel wronged and like they were denied things they were owed and they seem to be incapable of any self reflection. They don't see that they come across as whiny and less mature than my 4 year old niece, they think they are setting the story straight.

I agree akina21 that the Duke and Duchess don't come across as having the insight to see their own role in what has happened.

It doesn't look like their friends have helped them either- calling the courtiers "vipers" does nothing to bring everyone together for the common good.

Their bubble - of themselves and those who reinforce their thinking - hasn't served them.

They look to have done more damage to themselves and their standing, than any outside forces possibly could.

I thought this book - because at least one of the authors, Mr Scobie, was seen as such a supporter of the couple, especially the Duchess - was going to be so favourable, so very favourable.

You can tell the authors tried their hardest to minimize the Sussexes mistakes and to explain it away with an excuse of overflowing emotions overriding their common sense. But you can't dress-up a dumpster fire so even with carte blanche sympathy, the writers still make H&M look impulsive, hot-headed, immature and grandiose.

The BRF are apparently quite insensitive because they sent the tantrumming toddlers to timeout instead of rewarding the hissy fit with extra cuddles and ice cream.

My takeaway from the excerpts was that H&M were like a recklessly self-thrown bowling ball, with the UK public and media being the bowling pins. The BRF were the automatic bumper guards, trying to keep the reckless bowling ball from flopping in the gutter. But the bowling ball was so wild it blew past the guard, bounced through several lanes, smacked into the concession stand before rolling out the building, whilst the bowling pins in the original lane are still standing.

I think this book will have a similar reaction to their African interview.

A great way to describe what has happened miss whirley.

I have to agree after different things I've read. The couple have created their own situation.

If they are victims, it's more of their own thinking and actions, than anything else.

Last edited:
The BRF still doesn't look good in this. According to DM the courtiers looked down on Meghan for being an actress

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...erve-actress-cable-bombshell-book-claims.html

So these courtiers are justified to treat Meghan as such because of her old profession? Meghan is not wanted for questioning by the Feds.

Kate got checked for the Commonwealth Day snub and racism may have played a part in the courtiers' treatment of Meghan

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8558725/Kate-snubbed-Meghan-final-royal-engagement.html

In the second article talked about the system of throwing a family member under the bus to ward off negative press on an individual.

Last edited:
Code:

I've thought that for a long time. The intention is to make H and M look good, but the fact is that it won't. It started with the title and it appears to have gone downhill since. The authors are delusional if they think that people are going to feel sorry for the Sussexes, if they think that people feel sorry for them because they were ill-treated by the big, bad BRF. Throughout this entire process, and through Covid, the BRF has been brilliant.

Akina, which was one of the points I was making. H and M are self-centered - it always has to be about them. They read the comments people make on social media - stupidest thing they could do, but of course they want to see what people have to say about THEM.

I wonder why they didn't go through Charles more to plead their case to the Queen. Surely he would have more of a direct line to the Queen and that would have been the proper channel to follow. Perhaps they did and I've missed something or they're just being careful not to say too much in case it reflects badly on him or affects their finances. Charles' role seems to be missing in all this and there seems to be a communication gaping hole in the whole situation.

Charles isn't missing, he had a huge role in this.....Both he and HM wanted H and M to hold off on making any announcement until a workable plan was established. HM wanted Harry to work with his father, but he got impatient and that was that.

If there is no lawsuit against the authors by H&M we can assume this is exactly their side of the story told through their mouthpieces.

The BRF still doesn't look good in this. According to DM the courtiers looked down on Meghan for being an actress

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...erve-actress-cable-bombshell-book-claims.html

So these courtiers are justified to treat Meghan as such because of her old profession? Meghan is not wanted for questioning by the Feds.

Kate got checked for the Commonwealth Day snub and racism may have played a part in the courtiers' treatment of Meghan

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8558725/Kate-snubbed-Meghan-final-royal-engagement.html

In the second article talked about the system of throwing a family member under the bus to ward off negative press on an individual.

Oh no Madame Verseau ... everyone is going under the bus with this book.

Kate, the staff and courtiers, the Royal Family ... and the Sussexes themselves. :ohmy:

Last edited:
There've been stories about "courtiers" looking down on people for years. Prince Philip, a great-great-grandson of Queen Victoria, and a prince of Greece and Denmark in his own right, got snotty comments from courtiers because he wasn't part of the Establishment and was seen as a male Cinderella. There've also been reports about Queen Mary, because the Tecks were only morganatic royals, and the Queen Mother, because she was a "commoner", being looked down on, and we've all heard some of the nasty comments about the Middletons. They all managed to cope with it!

Last edited:
Madame Verseau what did you expect? This is a book written by fans of the Sussexes and relying on their friends. It was never going to be objective - no more than Diana, Her True Story was going to be an objective examination of the Wales' marriage.

We need to keep in mind that what we get over the next couple of days is going to be a minute portion of the book as a whole. And it's going to be the juiciest and most newsworthy parts.

As Sun Lion said, nobody is coming out of this looking good. It's just hurting everyone.

This sort of thing has been going on for centuries. Libellous broadsheets circulating round Stuart-era London. Rumours that the Duke of Buckingham was plotting against Henry VIII. People will always make claims about the Royals and other famous people. It's horrible that people spend their time writing nasty things about other people, but it's never been any different. Harry and Meghan can't seem to accept that it isn't personal against them.

An earlier poster reminded us of how other incomers to the family were treated, Philip, Queen Mary, Queen Mother. What do the three of them now have in common, they put the work ethic into play , played the long game and served their monarch. All well thought of, not perfect by any means but respected.
Yes Meghan was enthusiastic in the engagement interviews, IMO she was genuine in her intentions but her plans were not the royal way of doing things. IMO she did not expect to be told NO. I believe that once she realised that she did not have a free hand, she wanted out.
I genuinely believe she did not appreciate the pecking order within the family, where they stand on the balcony at trooping of the colour is not a coincidence or first to arrive gets the best view. Neither did she appreciate the power of the ' grey men in suits' and their role in protecting the crown.
I watched a programme about Wallis Simpson the other night, and some of the similarities are interesting, not just the American divorcee angle, but the lack of appreciation of the role of the family and duty.
Maybe Meghan should have played the long game.

Oh Dear, oh dear.

National news here across Australia this evening is covering "Finding Freedom" and all the most salacious details so far released.

Not dignified for anyone. Even Diana dragged into it all.

The comment about Kate repeated. So unfair I think. The Duchess of Cambridge didn't cause any problems that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex may have.

WOW! Just WOW! I hope the rumours they contributed to the book are untrue because if they did it really isn't going to help relations with the Royal Family.

Remember Diana denied contributing to the Morton book for years and then it turned out that she had co-operated not only by allowing her friends to talk but actually talking to Morton herself.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Harry hasn't done the same thing.

There is one piece in The Times that would suggest that possibility as according to the book Harry had lunch alone with The Queen. What was discussed over this lunch is as follows:

'As they tucked into a roast lunch, the Queen made it clear to Harry that she would always support him in whatever he decided to do. Though a 12-month trial period had already been promised to Harry earlier in the year, their conversation was also a reminder that should he and Meghan ever want to return to their roles, they were always welcome.'

Who is the source for this discussion if, as Scobie says, it was just 'granny and grandson'? The Queen - I doubt it. Harry - possibly.

Yes, I can 100% believe the couple themselves didn't speak to the writers, but telling your friends your side of things then telling them they can speak to the authors is pretty much the same thing. Interesting they didn't deny speaking to the authors before now, why not deny it when the first reports of it were made? Why wait until its published to deny being involved?

Yes, I can 100% believe the couple themselves didn't speak to the writers, but telling your friends your side of things then telling them they can speak to the authors is pretty much the same thing. Interesting they didn't deny speaking to the authors before now, why not deny it when the first reports of it were made? Why wait until its published to deny being involved?

Except they did. They have always stated they were not involved with this book. They can say it 48976322 times but people will believe whatever they want.

The exerts I read it’s a whole lot of “palace sources”, “a friend said”, “spoke by a courtier”, etc. So all “sides” seem somewhat represented in their version of things.

Except they did. They have always stated they were not involved with this book. They can say it 48976322 times but people will believe whatever they want.

The exerts I read it’s a whole lot of “palace sources”, “a friend said”, “spoke by a courtier”, etc. So all “sides” seem somewhat represented in their version of things.

So did Diana, turns out she talked as well.

Iluvbertie provides an excellent example of how they could have cooperate with this book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom