Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing new here, IMO; just states what Palace insiders fear, not what they already know. Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if their fears come true as this book was no doubt written with H and M’s cooperation.

I’m not worried at all about how HM, Charles and William will look to the British public, but I am worried about H and M (through the book) hurting them.

Yes, Harry has shown himself to be very brazen and thoughtless with his comments so I can imagine there is worry.

He's done it many times in the past. For example, snarking about how his family had him walk behind the coffin. Or complaining that William didn't make time for him at Eton. Or his comments that no one in the BRF wants to be monarch, which was an inflammatory statement to put in the mouths of Charles, William and George that could of upset the public and made them think the whiners are taking their position for granted. Or Harry's comment against the Markles "the family she never had", which became a big catalyst for her feud with her family. Or his recent comments to fake Greta, arranging a faux marriage for George and James Wessex.

So one wonders what his next verbal dagger will be - "William hates the UK as much as me!" "My dad made my mom miserable and now he makes me miserable!" "I don't think we have the real answers as to what happened in that Paris tunnel!" " My brother's kids will be jealous of Archie and his life in America!" and so on...

Given his past misguided comments, the BRF would be foolish to presume he'll show sound judgement.

Though if Omid and Durand are really the Sussex supporters they have portrayed themselves to be, they may edit out comments that Harry made to them that they know will be self-destructive to him in the long run. But that kind of helpful edit is asking a lot of a writer even if they consider Harry a friend.

Yes, Harry has shown himself to be very brazen and thoughtless with his comments so I can imagine there is worry.

He's done it many times in the past. For example, snarking about how his family had him walk behind the coffin. Or complaining that William didn't make time for him at Eton. Or his comments that no one in the BRF wants to be monarch, which was an inflammatory statement to put in the mouths of Charles, William and George that could of upset the public and made them think the whiners are taking their position for granted. Or Harry's comment against the Markles "the family she never had", which became a big catalyst for her feud with her family. Or his recent comments to fake Greta, arranging a faux marriage for George and James Wessex.

So one wonders what his next verbal dagger will be - "William hates the UK as much as me!" "My dad made my mom miserable and now he makes me miserable!" "I don't think we have the real answers as to what happened in that Paris tunnel!" " My brother's kids will be jealous of Archie and his life in America!" and so on...

Given his past misguided comments, the BRF would be foolish to presume he'll show sound judgement.

Though if Omid and Durand are really the Sussex supporters they have portrayed themselves to be, they may edit out comments that Harry made to them that they know will be self-destructive to him in the long run. But that kind of helpful edit is asking a lot of a writer even if they consider Harry a friend.

I bet that Harry wishes he had never shot his mouth off about "Meghan not having a family" and the RF being the family she never had, when a yaer later it was clear that it wasn't true.

This is rather intriguing, because the trigger (IMO) that got the ball rolling on negative media stories about the Sussexes, particularly Meghan, was the Jobson book about Charles and reporters picking up tidbits from that book and digging further - Meghan's family speaking out softened the ground.

I can see that pre-marriage they had many discussions about their future life. It would make sense that Harry would be apprehensive (based on the craziness that started when it became known they were dating) of how things would go. I think it's possible he had a plan B in mind if things didn't level off and sort out.

I absolutely do believe they intended to become FT working Royals for the rest of their lives. Everything they said and did indicated such. I just think plans got derailed and there didn't seem to be an end in sight to the negative pressure.

LaRae

If Harry and Meghan were sincere in their pre-wedding interview, I assume they did not plan to "leave the Royal Family" beforehand. I don't remember the exact words, but, if I recall it correctly, Harry said he had explained to Meghan what being a member of the RF entailed and that she was committed to the new role she was about to assume.

I still believe that the problem was a clash of cultures. Meghan, being an individualistic American, puts her own personal interest or "happiness" (see her South African interview) above the interests of the institution of which she happens to be a member. It is not a criticism of Meghan personally, but rather, as I said, a characteristic feature of the American mindset and culture.

If Harry and Meghan were sincere in their pre-wedding interview, I assume they did not plan to "leave the Royal Family" beforehand. I don't remember the exact words, but, if I recall it correctly, Harry said he had explained to Meghan what being a member of the RF entailed and that she was committed to the new role she was about to assume.

I still believe that the problem was a clash of cultures. Meghan, being an individualistic American, puts her own personal interest or "happiness" (see her South African interview) above the interests of the institution of which she happens to be a member. It is not a criticism of Meghan personally, but rather, as I said, a characteristic feature of the American mindset and culture.
But perhaps they weren't being sincere. Harry has talked about a desire to leave the RF in the past. He said that he had explained to Meghan what being a royal meant.. and what life would be like.. yet in the Bradby interview she came across as in essence saying she was not expecting various things such as the unkind press.. So perhaps Harry didn't really explain things very well to her.. Or perhaps they both had an idea that if things went well, they were willing to stick out the job.. but if after a year or 2 they found they were not happy with it.. they would be able to go part time...and that was always going on in their minds...

As a British person, I can assure you that there are many people here who wouldn't put the institution of monarchy above their own happiness (including some British people who have been born into it or have married into it). I don't think it's necessarily an American v British thing at all but rather a desire to avoid being crushed, not just by the intense personal scrutiny of self and family but by the weight of living with false stories constantly being published without being able to challenge most of them.

But perhaps they weren't being sincere. Harry has talked about a desire to leave the RF in the past. He said that he had explained to Meghan what being a royal meant.. and what life would be like.. yet in the Bradby interview she came across as in essence saying she was not expecting various things such as the unkind press.. So perhaps Harry didn't really explain things very well to her.. Or perhaps they both had an idea that if things went well, they were willing to stick out the job.. but if after a year or 2 they found they were not happy with it.. they would be able to go part time...and that was always going on in their minds...

Your opinion is not necessarily inconsistent with mine. I think they were sincere and were willing to give it a try, but Meghan in particular assumed all along that, if she didn't like it or adapt to it, she could just walk away and take Harry and possible children with her.

I don't think Meghan assumed anything. Those things were discussed, Harry had already in the past talked about leaving.

LaRae

Sorry to hear you think it's an American mindset/culture to not want to be hounded to death by the press or live within a set of confines that allow you to be hammered to the point of depression etc with almost no recourse.

I quite disagree with the idea that this is an American thing...I've met (in real life) a number of Brits/Scots/Irish and what have you from the U.K. and interacted online with them for decades. IME/IMO very few of them (if any) would throw themselves upon the altar of sacrifice for the BRF. Even those who support them.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Your opinion is not necessarily inconsistent with mine. I think they were sincere and were willing to give it a try, but Meghan in particular assumed all along that, if she didn't like it or adapt to it, she could just walk away and take Harry and possible children with her.

I half agree.... I think that PERHAPS they were sincere or at least Harry was in intending in May 2018 to start a full time royal life of duty. However, I cant help feeling now that perhaps there was always a semi plan to get out - not completely but to have the best of both worlds..that they would go on doing royal duties part time..with all that entailed, a free home, security, social status etc.. and that part of the time they could be free to live in the US and work to earn more money and have a more glam lifestyle.
And with Meghan I think that she had seen Fergie leaving the RF after her divorce, and making a lot of money in the US, and she may have felt that if the marriage didn't work out, or even if it did but she found she didn't like royal life.. she too could go to the US and use her new status as a Royal Duchess to make money...
Possibly Harry always wanted to get out, but truth was he knew little of the outside world really and didn't know what he would do if he left royal life.. but marriage to a woman who had had an independent career in the movie business, who knew the USA and knew about money making opportunities, gave him the "permission" to go...

Sorry to hear you think it's an American mindset/culture to not want to be hounded to death by the press or live within a set of confines that allow you to be hammered to the point of depression etc with almost no recourse.

I quite disagree with the idea that this is an American thing...I've met (in real life) a number of Brits/Scots/Irish and what have you from the U.K. and interacted online with them for decades. IME/IMO very few of them (if any) would throw themselves upon the altar of sacrifice for the BRF. Even those who support them.

LaRae

But these people have not married into the UK Royal family.

But these people have not married into the UK Royal family.

And? Not sure what difference that makes. Point being they don't or wouldn't expect anyone to do it.

LaRae

The comment about the BRF being the family Meghan never had is ironic since they have both completely disrespected them for many months now....and have moved to be near her mother, who seems to be family enough for Meghan.

I know Harry said some of those things, but not all. He said that about William? Coming from someone who dressed as a Nazi for Halloween, I shouldn’t be surprised. What’s this about a faux wedding?

Considering they gave it less than two years, and that they must have started planning this whole thing well before they departed the UK, I can’t think that they were overly sincere about giving it a shot, especially Meghan.

It wasn't a Nazi uniform, it was the uniform of the Afrika corps...
As for Meghan, I think it must have been hurtful for her mother to hear that Harry was saying that Meghan had no family.. when she has it seems been a loyal and loving mother to her. And it was kind of ironic that within a fairly short time, it was clear that the RF were no longer considered best buddies by the Sussexes...

I know what a Swastika looks like...

It wasn't a Nazi uniform, it was the uniform of the Afrika corps...
As for Meghan, I think it must have been hurtful for her mother to hear that Harry was saying that Meghan had no family.. when she has it seems been a loyal and loving mother to her. And it was kind of ironic that within a fairly short time, it was clear that the RF were no longer considered best buddies by the Sussexes...

As a British person, I can assure you that there are many people here who wouldn't put the institution of monarchy above their own happiness (including some British people who have been born into it or have married into it). I don't think it's necessarily an American v British thing at all but rather a desire to avoid being crushed, not just by the intense personal scrutiny of self and family but by the weight of living with false stories constantly being published without being able to challenge most of them.

Well yes & no. I do think Mbruno has a point here. There are big differences between British & US cultures. There are still an awful lot of old fashioned monarchists whose mind set would be entirely alien to anyone from the US. Pretty foreign to a lot of Britons as well of course, we're not exactly homogeneous.

Well yes & no. I do think Mbruno has a point here. There are big differences between British & US cultures. There are still an awful lot of old fashioned monarchists whose mind set would be entirely alien to anyone from the US. Pretty foreign to a lot of Britons as well of course, we're not exactly homogeneous.

I think there is a difference between the US culture of someone of Meg's generation and the state she lived in as a kid.. and that of older Americans.. or UK people of a certain age who would be a lot more formal and duty bound. If Meg did not want to have the Press chasing her and publishing unfair stories, if she didn't want to put up with certain restrictions in what she could do because she was a member of the RF.. then - either dont marry into the RF or if you do, do so on te understanding that you and your husband aren't working royals. Give up the titles, buy your own house and lead a life that is separate from the RF...

Harry says that he told her what royal life would be like.. but one of the big factors in it is the tabloid press which is either gushng and over praising of some royals..or hyper critical and frequently harsh and unfair. Meghan said that she "thought the press would be fair" and if H had had honest conversations with her, I can't believe that he didn't tell her "the tabloid press is horrible, intrusive, unfair and just the worst"....
The RF are certainly not fans of the Press and just about tolerate them.. and H himself knows how horrible they can be...
So - did H tell her and she didn't listen or didn't understand? Did Harry NOT tell her and she was shocked and could not cope? I dont know.

Last edited:
That DM article is a joke, no surprise. They're guessing at what is in the book. Bringing up Thomas Markle gave away the game. Claiming suspicious timing for the book to come out while the lawsuit against is going shows fear that information in the book will damage their "star witness" and their case.

Even if this is true (I mean, I know it is as an American), Meghan chose to get involved with Harry........and not just get involved, but seriously, with not just a Royal but a Royal (ok, "only" 6th in line") who is very close to the throne (his papa will be King) and who was expected to be a working Royal for a very long time. I just don't feel real sympathy for her; I have no doubt she knew that her existence as she knew it would be over. I don't believe she went into this with her eyes shut.

Even if this is true (I mean, I know it is as an American), Meghan chose to get involved with Harry........and not just get involved, but seriously, with not just a Royal but a Royal (ok, "only" 6th in line") who is very close to the throne (his papa will be King) and who was expected to be a working Royal for a very long time. I just don't feel real sympathy for her; I have no doubt she knew that her existence as she knew it would be over. I don't believe she went into this with her eyes shut.

Im sure she didn't.. unless Harry didn't really explain things to her.. Or he did but she didn't want to hear the negative side of the Royal life.. I suspect that insofar as she wanted to be married to a Senior working royal.. she DID close her ears to anything that was said on the negative side. I think she didn't realise that the life's not all wearing a tiara on a red carpet, living in a castle etc. I don't think she DID understand how vicious the press can be..and thought that the press all praise the RF...
But I think in any case she always regarded it as a stepping stone. she possibly always thought that she could come out of it when she chose and be part time when she chose.
And when she and H were a few months into marriage, she was getting critical press, she was finding that she wasn't living in a big castle but an ordinary country house.. that the RF's amusements were mainly horsey and rural and far from glamourous... and that the duty jobs were often dull, I feel that she just felt she couldn't' stand it..and that they had to make their move and get out...

I didn't say there aren't big differences between British & US cultures. I didn't say that the old fashioned monarchists wouldn't be entirely alien to anyone from the US. I didn't say that we're exactly homogeneous. I was answering a very specific point, which I contend still stands.

Little bit of a confession, this accusation is what really has pissed the palace off as they really seems to have prepared her. Okay from what I gather there is a kinds three part training from royal brides and yes _ girls-friends/ boyfriends. All royal spouses seems to have done it. It is given and spoken through with them. It sees it involves everything from protocol training, to royal manners and traditions. And yes , involves their family and close friends. Things are explained to them. However palace officials can’t be blamed when the royal don’t listen the the advice. I have had someone yell plainly at me that things would have been different if Meghan had simply listened to advice. She knew better and she was wrong. And then she expected the palace to do damage cover. Ok , this is where you need to pay attention. The BRF have only once employed a fixer and that was to rehabilitate the reputation of Charles and Camilla after the death of Diana. They don’t have one on staff, or running the PR office, which I was surprise to learn is common practice for celebrities in the US. Did Meghan know that ?

When is extracts of the book release , which newspaper?

Im sure she didn't.. unless Harry didn't really explain things to her.. Or he did but she didn't want to hear the negative side of the Royal life.. I suspect that insofar as she wanted to be married to a Senior working royal.. she DID close her ears to anything that was said on the negative side. I think she didn't realise that the life's not all wearing a tiara on a red carpet, living in a castle etc. I don't think she DID understand how vicious the press can be..and thought that the press all praise the RF...
But I think in any case she always regarded it as a stepping stone. she possibly always thought that she could come out of it when she chose and be part time when she chose.
And when she and H were a few months into marriage, she was getting critical press, she was finding that she wasn't living in a big castle but an ordinary country house.. that the RF's amusements were mainly horsey and rural and far from glamourous... and that the duty jobs were often dull, I feel that she just felt she couldn't' stand it..and that they had to make their move and get out...

Well, I suspect “ the ordinary country house” was already an improvement over the place where she lived when she was in Canada shooting Suits. And Harry originally shared Kensington Palace, which is a big house, with other royals. He chose to move to Frogmore cottage precisely to have more room for his family and have his own house, which is understandable.

Comparing to the situation Harry is in now, he and his family have been without a home of their own for over 6 months , moving from country to country and now living in a stranger’s house, reportedly thanks to his “ generosity”. I couldn’t think of a more demeaning situation, especially for a prince of the United Kingdom.

I didn't say there aren't big differences between British & US cultures. I didn't say that the old fashioned monarchists wouldn't be entirely alien to anyone from the US. I didn't say that we're exactly homogeneous. I was answering a very specific point, which I contend still stands.

Yes I know you didn't say those things & to be fair I didn't say you did. I understood the point you were making & I was adding my perspective to the conversation. That's all.

I would not be surprised if Meghan didn’t care enough about the negative sides of Royal life, if she put her fingers in her ears and went “nah, nah, I can’t hear you”. Or, maybe she heard and she seriously underestimated (which I find hard to believe unless Harry was idiotic and didn’t emphasize strongly enough) how different her life would be. The fact that she’s been whining about no one in the BRF publicly defending her tells me either she knows nothing at all about the BRF or she thinks she’s special.

I would not be surprised if Meghan didn’t care enough about the negative sides of Royal life, if she put her fingers in her ears and went “nah, nah, I can’t hear you”. Or, maybe she heard and she seriously underestimated (which I find hard to believe unless Harry was idiotic and didn’t emphasize strongly enough) how different her life would be. The fact that she’s been whining about no one in the BRF publicly defending her tells me either she knows nothing at all about the BRF or she thinks she’s special.

Didn't she explicitly state in her South Africa interview that her friends tried to warn her (about the tabloids) but that she didn't take it seriously.

Found the exact wording
"My friends were really happy because I was so happy but my British friends said to me 'I am sure he is great but you shouldn't do it 'cause the British tabloids will destroy your life' and I, very naively, I am an American we don't have that there, 'what are you talking about?, that doesn't make any sense, I am not in tabloids'. I didn't get it."

Last edited:
"Finding Freedom" is being seralised in the Times and the Sunday Times.

I thought this book might have been a bit of a lame duck - no offense intended to the authors - after the other recent publications, coming out last, being favourable to the Duke and Duchess etc.

But it sounds as though this may be the most explosive of them all.

A report, this time from the Sun, ahead of the seralisation this weekend.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12218783/meghan-harry-adrift-megxit-william-kate-biography/

And a report in The Telegraph where the Duke and Duchess are distancing themselves from it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...distance-tell-all-royal-book-finding-freedom/

Last edited:
"Finding Freedom" is being seralised in the Times and the Sunday Times.

I thought this book might have been a bit of a lame duck - no offense intended to the authors - after the other recent publications, coming out last, being favourable to the Duke and Duchess etc.

But it sounds as though this may be the most explosive of them all.

A report, this time from the Sun, ahead of the seralisation this weekend.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12218783/meghan-harry-adrift-megxit-william-kate-biography/

And a report in The Telegraph where the Duke and Duchess are distancing themselves from it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...distance-tell-all-royal-book-finding-freedom/

I’m a little confused as to whether this book is supposed to be flattering or unflattering toward the Sussexes. It’s been touted as something that will “get the story straight” so I was expecting reports about how they were mistreated or ignored by the RF and courtiers but these early reports are painting them more like spoiled children who didn’t get their way so threw a tantrum and quit.

When is extracts of the book release , which newspaper?

The Times and The Sunday Times this weekend Claire.

I’m a little confused as to whether this book is supposed to be flattering or unflattering toward the Sussexes. It’s been touted as something that will “get the story straight” so I was expecting reports about how they were mistreated or ignored by the RF and courtiers but these early reports are painting them more like spoiled children who didn’t get their way so threw a tantrum and quit.

I agree acdc1.

It’s hard to see the Duke and Duchess looking good from this, from the quotes coming out today and yesterday. Quotes I take it from a person or people who have seen the book.

Perhaps the actual book will come across more sympathetically to the couple.

“Buckets of bitterness” is pretty strong language, but it’s not news anymore to learn that the couple felt they were victims of the Royal way of life as well as of the UK press.

“Finding Freedom” will dominate all Harry and Meghan news for the next several days as every media outlet will mine the rich vein it unleashes.

Little bit of a confession, this accusation is what really has pissed the palace off as they really seems to have prepared her. Okay from what I gather there is a kinds three part training from royal brides and yes _ girls-friends/ boyfriends. All royal spouses seems to have done it. It is given and spoken through with them. It sees it involves everything from protocol training, to royal manners and traditions. And yes , involves their family and close friends. Things are explained to them. However palace officials can’t be blamed when the royal don’t listen the the advice. I have had someone yell plainly at me that things would have been different if Meghan had simply listened to advice. She knew better and she was wrong. And then she expected the palace to do damage cover. Ok , this is where you need to pay attention. The BRF have only once employed a fixer and that was to rehabilitate the reputation of Charles and Camilla after the death of Diana. They don’t have one on staff, or running the PR office, which I was surprise to learn is common practice for celebrities in the US. Did Meghan know that ?

You make some great points here Claire.

It wasn’t in anyone’s interest, especially the Royal Family’s, to have the new Duchess fail.

What had worked to get Meghan to where she now found herself, would not work to make her a success in her Royal role.

Two totally opposite ways of life.

Self-promotion as an individual - an actress in Hollywood reaching for stardom - vs self-abnegation within a hierarchy, and a life of service to a foreign nation.

Polar opposites, no wonder there were issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom