Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I found the most interesting was this fragment:

It's very "we can neither confirm nor deny". This, in addition to Omid Scobie being the author, really makes me think the Sussexes were consulted on this project.

What a good spot!

What I found the most interesting was this fragment:

It's very "we can neither confirm nor deny". This, in addition to Omid Scobie being the author, really makes me think the Sussexes were consulted on this project.

Oh, I'm sure they were.

But without quotes or an official okay from H&M, it's little better than an article by a hardcore fan of H&M uploaded on a blog.

What I think we can be very sure of is that this book will fire several broadsides at - well, insert your guess here...

This book will no doubt cause a lot of debate, also here, but without quotes from H&M, or comments/statements about the book or parts of the book by H&M it's worthless.

The only thing that could make it interesting is if named people very close to H&M say: I said this and that to H&M and they said this and that to me. And I said it on that specific day/occasion.

So H&M can claim plausible deniability of even pretty outrageous passages in the book and H&M detractors can argue forever that H&M simply must be behind XYZ stated in the book.
But as a factual reference, the book will be more than likely be worthless.

- Give me named quotes or it's hearsay, speculations and opinions.

Oh, I'm sure they were.

But without quotes or an official okay from H&M, it's little better than an article by a hardcore fan of H&M uploaded on a blog.

What I think we can be very sure of is that this book will fire several broadsides at - well, insert your guess here...

This book will no doubt cause a lot of debate, also here, but without quotes from H&M, or comments/statements about the book or parts of the book by H&M it's worthless.

The only thing that could make it interesting is if named people very close to H&M say: I said this and that to H&M and they said this and that to me. And I said it on that specific day/occasion.

So H&M can claim plausible deniability of even pretty outrageous passages in the book and H&M detractors can argue forever that H&M simply must be behind XYZ stated in the book.
But as a factual reference, the book will be more than likely be worthless.

- Give me named quotes or it's hearsay, speculations and opinions.

Now that reminds me of the Morton-book...

Just one observation from me. It stands to logic that if, at this time, Omid Scobie (a co-author) is a Sussex "golden boy", there is no way he would even think to endanger his position right now publishing a book unless he was pretty secure in knowing there would be no backlash from the Sussexes over the book.

This is what tells me he's had the "all clear" to go ahead with the project. Simple.

I have to admit too that when I first read "Thoroughly Modern Royals", the movie "Thoroughly Modern Millie" with Julie Andrews flashed through my addled head. :D

Last edited:
Just one observation from me. It stands to logic that if, at this time, Omid Scobie (a co-author) is a Sussex "golden boy", there is no way he would even think to endanger his position right now publishing a book unless he was pretty secure in knowing there would be no backlash from the Sussexes over the book.

This is what tells me he's had the "all clear" to go ahead with the project. Simple.
:

Oh you are so right, it is that simple.

If he is not spreading lies and attacking them -- why would they care? He not doing anything different from any of the other correspondents who have books out. Durant has actually said some unflattering things about Meghan and she is the co-author.

Muhler is right in that people will believe they had involvement whether they did or not but that doesn't change the fact it is not what most implied it was. It literally is another unofficial royal biography to add to the many already out and to come...

Thank you ACO.

I think this is the most important part about this book I have seen yet:
"The aim of this book is to portray the real Harry and Meghan, a couple who continue to inspire many around the world through their humanitarian and charitable work but are often inaccurately portrayed,” the authors said in a joint statement.

The two added that their “mission has been motivated by a desire to tell an accurate version of their journey and finally present the truth of misreported stories that have become gospel simply because of the amount of times they have been repeated,” and signed off by thanking their sources.

The book is not an official or endorsed biography from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. It also doesn’t claim to feature interviews with Meghan and Harry, though the two authors, particularly Scobie, are said to be extremely close to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
"

- My interest in this book has just fallen orders of magnitudes. Without direct quotes from H&M it's just another biased book about them. This time no doubt in a very positive light.
Was this a book about my own royal family I wouldn't waste money on it.

The key to me is that the authors have a goal with this book, and it’s to correct any misrepresentations of H and M that they think have been repeated over and over again. So, clearly they are now coming into this book with a strong bias - unlike most successful biographies/non-fiction books. Personally, I believe I already know the story behind Megxit and events preceding it and succeeding it. I believe HM and Charles did what they could to help Harry, I believe they wanted to work something out for them, I believe H and M pulled a Veruca Salt : “I don’t care how, I want it now”. Any misunderstandings, IMO, will just be the self-centered POV of the Sussexes as defended by these two “reporters”.

The key to me is that the authors have a goal with this book, and it’s to correct any misrepresentations of H and M that they think have been repeated over and over again. So, clearly they are now coming into this book with a strong bias - unlike most successful biographies/non-fiction books. Personally, I believe I already know the story behind Megxit and events preceding it and succeeding it. I believe HM and Charles did what they could to help Harry, I believe they wanted to work something out for them, I believe H and M pulled a Veruca Salt : “I don’t care how, I want it now”. Any misunderstandings, IMO, will just be the self-centered POV of the Sussexes as defended by these two “reporters”.
Oh, to be so sure to understand people you never even met...

Here I am not sure that Harrytold her what to expect of life as a Royal. He never seemed to fit in too well with them after all. And I'm not sure he was aware just how strong a woman she is. I still believe the queen and Charles were completely enarmoured by her and probably still "give her time" right now to come to her senses (and bring Harry back).

But the tabloids and their way to try to rip her one and bring her down was too much. She was not loved by the media and they let her know about it. IIRC they gave Diana 18 months before they focussed on her spending too much money, getting rid of staff she didn't like, not preparing enough for her Royal appointments and started to hit on her. And that had an impact of her marriage with Charles. Here now we have a woman who is loved by her husband, but the tabloid influence was surely felt as much as it was then and where Diana could not go as a young bride, Meghan could and take her husband with her.

I have no idea where Harry and Meghan will end up. Maybe they return into the Royal fold and work it out, even if it will be tough. Maybe they set up their own charity foundation and work their whole time there without appearing too much in the public. I still wish them a good ending and a happy ever after.

This book and the obnoxious title is grabbing at the current situation and trying to fit in with the story. I am not sure this is what Harry and Meghan need at the moment or even want. But (other than others here) I am not sure they are so involved. IMHO the idea of a book started out when the tabloids wrote all those lies abo9ut them and Scobie offered them a book where the situation could be rectified. And then all that stuff happened and the story got its own drive and now, IMHO, they have to live with what Scobie writes. And that is not good for them.

In a way, Harry is now set to fulfill the life his mother left when she died. Only he is Royal born, so could come back. We have seen just what kind of people Diana had to befriend in the last year of her life - let's hope Meghan and Harry have a better life in front of them.

If Harry wasn’t aware of how strong-willed Meghan is, then that tells me he rushed into marriage. Even if I concede your point about him being somewhat of a Royal misfit - which I’m not doing just yet - I still would find it impossible to believe that he wouldn’t have schooled her in what she could expect. If he didn’t, then aside from being foolish, he’d have been unfair to her.

I’m sure HM and Charles do care about Meghan - and, if those early reports are to be believed, Charles had a special relationship with her. That doesn’t mean they aren’t frustrated with her or find her difficult at times.....I don’t want to speculate much on that, but certainly they want Harry to be happy, and she makes him happy.

I loved Meghan and supported her early on - my posts in the H and M threads are testament to that. I agree that the media was vile - not everyone, but many, and often. She had every right to be angry, and if that’s what is driving her, I’d understand. What I don’t understand is her seeming upset at the BRF -and her and Harry’s almost disdain for them.

You could be right about the book - and if I’m wrong about the content, I will gladly admit it. I think a huge issue with them is that they have awful PR, so that whatever message they are trying to convey is getting lost.

They maybe didn’t pick the title or give a verbal authorization but the cynic in me thinks the nod of approval was given.

I blame Harry more for this whole fiasco (not meaning the book). To me, someone else “acted” their way straight up until they sealed the deal at the altar...

I read that the book named "Fiding Freedom" will be on sale on August 11

I don't know. I think the tell all book is a mistake. Especially if they trash the royal family in any way. I liked how they were out delivering food during the shut down - they should keep doing things like that. Meghan was only in the royal family for two years.

Now that reminds me of the Morton-book...

Due to certain elements of the Morton book,plus the use of family photographs , it was highly suspected at the time that Diana had a hand in the book.
Diana had allegedly denied being involved, having never met Morton to discuss a book.

Morton himself denied having spoken to Diana about the book.

The truth came out later, all I am saying is that a 1-2-1 interview is not always required.

Due to certain elements of the Morton book,plus the use of family photographs , it was highly suspected at the time that Diana had a hand in the book.
Diana had allegedly denied being involved, having never met Morton to discuss a book.

Morton himself denied having spoken to Diana about the book.

The truth came out later, all I am saying is that a 1-2-1 interview is not always required.

Diana's book was partly soucred by her friends talking to Morton..Which was why people suspected that she had more of a hand in it than she was admitting... though she denied having spoken to Morton. but people knew that her friends were not likely to have talked so frankly unless she had igiven them to the OK to speak as they did, and there was as you've said the use of family photos. And then Morton admitted that although she had not met him she had given hm tapes via one of her friends...

The title hints at a tell all but the reality could be marshmallow and fluff, and by that time the money will have been made with no real harm done.
I wonder if any of the press will pay for the exclusive extracts, or will the authors allow early extracts.

From the horse’s mouth .....

I may be ill.

"true story" is dropped.
Morton 2.0 here we go ...
What to expect from a "Royal author" who don't use titles properly (i mean : Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex ?).

The ego of this young lad is escalating at the minute ...

Can't wait to be in August, it will be a lot of fun (and hysteria) ??

Why? there are biographies of royals coming out all the time. They are usualy sycophantic. A few are "tell all" but either way, Royals get exaggerated praise and crticisim.

Not to be snippy, but if you want an answer, you can look all over my posts in this thread.

“Go beyond the headlines....discover the true story”. It sounds like a cheesy soap opera in book form.

I think this will be a very poorly written, weirdly personal third person narrative masquerading as a biography of the Sussexes while ultimately dishing on the BRF.

Nico:

Good point - of course Harry is a prince, but it’s not his title. A Prince sounds so much more attractive than a Duke, lol

What to expect from a "Royal author" who don't use titles properly (i mean : Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex ?).

Last edited:
Not to be snippy, but if you want an answer, you can look all over my posts in this thread.

“Go beyond the headlines....discover the true story”. It sounds like a cheesy soap opera in book form.

I think this will be a very poorly written, weirdly personal third person narrative masquerading as a biography of the Sussexes while ultimately dishing on the BRF.
Its probably poorly written, it is probably sycophantic towards the Sussexes.. but a lot of royal coverage is like that. And I doubt if they're going to say much that's negative about the RF. After all, who is helpng H out financially at the moment? Im sure they're not so stupid as to absolutely savage the hand that feeds them.

Its probably poorly written, it is probably sycophantic towards the Sussexes.. but a lot of royal coverage is like that. And I doubt if they're going to say much that's negative about the RF. After all, who is helpng H out financially at the moment? Im sure they're not so stupid as to absolutely savage the hand that feeds them.

I admit I find it hard to believe that Harry would go out of his way to trash his father and grandmother....or anyone else...but I’ve never thought it would be a nasty book in that way. It’s just that their official statements often seem to criticize the BRF (especially HM, the monarchy as a whole, Charles) even if they didn’t mean to. They’re very clumsy and sort of bull-in the china shop-ish, and this attempt to set the record straight is likely to be dishy as they reveal their version of events.

Accusations about stalking have been removed.

We will consider further far-fetched accusations as slander. Posters expressing such slandarous messages will find their account suspended.

Last edited:

It will be a deception for some then (oh you know who you are), expecting a bombshell revealing from A to Z how Harry and Meghan were the "scapegoats" of those evil and racist Windsors.

Oh well ...

Last edited:
I don't know. I think the tell all book is a mistake. Especially if they trash the royal family in any way. I liked how they were out delivering food during the shut down - they should keep doing things like that. Meghan was only in the royal family for two years.

This isn't a tell-all book and Meghan & Harry did not participate in writing it nor did they provide interviews for the book. It is no different than all the other books that royal reporters have written both positive and negative and it is the only one that I have seen get this much push back. My guess is because it is written by a royal reporter who has been known to be neutral to ALL BRF and indicates that the book will show Meghan (in particular) in a good light and that is not the story some want to be told.

On a good note- the more people talk about it the better the sales... I'm happy for Omid on that piece.

On a good note- the more people talk about it the better the sales... I'm happy for Omid on that piece.

[...] just because people talk doesn’t translate into sales.

This book will be a hit with Sussex Fans, but ,IMO, it’s not going to be as popular with actual royal followers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit I find it hard to believe that Harry would go out of his way to trash his father and grandmother....or anyone else...but I’ve never thought it would be a nasty book in that way. It’s just that their official statements often seem to criticize the BRF (especially HM, the monarchy as a whole, Charles) even if they didn’t mean to. They’re very clumsy and sort of bull-in the china shop-ish, and this attempt to set the record straight is likely to be dishy as they reveal their version of events.

Probably. I am sure that Omid is going to put their point of view.. and portray tehm as something special.. but we know that.. I'd just avoid it....

I am not going to lie. I will buy the book. Just to see. Harry is very like his mother but rather less appealing to be honest. But I wish that he, unlike her, will find happiness in his private life.

Last edited:
I've already pre-ordered the book. I've read many books about Royals (some of them not even very well known, books or the subject). I've read them by authors I didn't really care for just so I know what it actually says. Then I have a foundation to discuss it and compare it to other info.

LaRae

Cross posted this from the General News thread as it belongs here; just because people talk doesn’t translate into sales.

This book will be a hit with Sussex Fans, but ,IMO, it’s not going to be as popular with actual royal followers.

I completely agree. I suppose it might do more sales now because people have more time to read, but I think this is a niche book - for only a certain segment of people (Sussex stans)

I've already pre-ordered the book. I've read many books about Royals (some of them not even very well known, books or the subject). I've read them by authors I didn't really care for just so I know what it actually says. Then I have a foundation to discuss it and compare it to other info.

LaRae

Same here, I have already preordered this book. I have many books (good, bad and indifferent) about royals of the past and present in my library, mostly BRF but some about individuals in other royal Houses. Some royals I read about I've liked and admired, some I'm neutral about, some I haven't cared for. It's all grist for the mill etc. If you don't read these biographies you won't know as much as if you do, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom