Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. If this is really happening with this book, I have to question the motives of both Harry and Meghan in doing this. With the relationship between the couple and so many people including Harry's family, the people of the UK, and even some of us avid royal watchers here, to rehash it all out in lurid detail from their point of view isn't going to do them any favors and win them any brownie points with anyone. Whatever has happened in the past belongs relegated to the ancient history file in the dusty recesses somewhere and not brought out to air again as dirty laundry hanging on a clothesline.

It does reek of self promotion and self glorification and even the has the premise that this couple is as well loved and well followed and well respected as they were before their exodus to a private life occurred. It'll sell like hotcakes though just because of all the drama, the troubles and woes sure to be bleated ad nauseum on every subject mentioned and will definitely be a point of view by the authors to paint a negative picture of everyone *but* Harry and Meghan, the "Wonder Couple That Is Going To Save The World".

Bad idea in my book. Very bad idea. :bang:

I'll also add that most likely, sometime down the line, I will get and read this book because I'm addicted to books and have a very cheap supplier. To be honest, I'm expecting it to be classified in the future much like "Diana: Her True Story" by Andrew Morton was. Of course I already have that one. Somewhere....

Last edited:
:ohmy: Wow! I hadn't expected that the couple were going to participate in a project like this one. :ermm:

If this is true, then there’s really no question what their motives were for leaving. Omid is no surprise,
Carolyn I’ve never heard of her really.

However considering how it was repeatedly announced of their respect for The Queen, I don’t see this being the case.

Oh this is a bad idea if it truly has their co-operation. It will do nothing to change the perception from some quarters that the last thing they want is a private life with no publicity and "poor me, poor me" and "we had to leave because we were too awesome and progressive for the monarchy" stories from Royals in the time of a pandemic might not go down to well.

And since it is likely to be something of a hit piece on the rest of the family does Harry really want that? Long term, and not just when there are sore feelings? Shouldn't that be worked through privately and not in the book equivalent of the tabloids he so loathes? Doing this sort of thing didn't exactly make his mother (both parents) happier when she was alive and arguably kept tabloid interest at a high and caused problems for him and his brother long before she died and made it even worse after.

You can't tell the tabloids to eff off one day and do this. It basically guarantees this "new life" is just about creating a global philanthropy/publicity brand and wanting to do everything their way. And it might impact how the court case with her father and friends is going to play out.

Last edited:
The book is listed on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other sites, although in a thinly disguised way. If you search for "Scobie" spelled backwards, there it is.

IF this is true...I'm not sure what the issue is? A good number of the Royals have had participated in biographies etc.

LaRae

I doubt very very much that this is going to be a hit piece on other members of the BRF, such as Harry's father, brother, grandmother. Neither of them have ever said anything bad about the Queen or the other royals in public ever. If nothing else the little Sussex family are still being financially supported by Charles and he and they know it.

And Harry, at least, knows any public rubbishing of the Queen for instance will cause huge hatred for him in Britain and cut him off from his relatives for all time. And Omid (if he is the conduit) has his own future as a British journalist to think about.

What I do think this book is going to be (if it comes out as planned) is an examination of everything that the tabloids and social media have put out since the beginning about the couple, including the provable sheer lies and what really occurred during the years since Harry and Meghan first met. Plus their plans for their future straight from the horse's mouth. There's plenty to write about in their life together besides what the couple think about the other royals.

Last edited:
Apart from the fact that the book is going to provide a very positive coverage of H&M, no one really know the content.

Co-operating can mean that the manuscript was submitted to H&M for comments, verification and correction to it being a long interview with predominantly H&M with lots of quotes.
But given the reputation of the author and his affiliation with H&M the book will inevitably be seen as an attempt to polish the image of H&M directly or indirectly instigated by H&M.

Whether that is such a good idea at present is indeed debatable.
Especially as the BRF are not firing back and haven't fired at H&M at any point, not in public that is.
In fact it's the press who is firing at them, not the BRF.

A few things springs to mind:

A) The break between H&M and the BRF was considerably more in anger than we may have thought.

B) H&M genuinely feel their terms were reasonable and that they were treated most unfairly by members of the BRF and that has led to a deep feeling of bitterness with H&M.

C) When you are surrounded by people who agree with you and who reinforce your views, such a book, right now, makes perfect sense. In an echo-chamber you can only hear yourself...
A more level headed PR-advisor might prefer to train them for a more in depth and critical interview with a reputable journalist.

D) It is my opinion that those who most feel they have to explain and justify themselves are those whose conscience deep down tell them they have committed a transgression.

E) It is destined to backfire in Britain, period!
The timing is wrong. - Corona.
No matter what, it can be seen as hurting one of the most respected persons in UK, QEII.
It's too soon. People haven't yet recovered from H&M breaking away in this manner. So there hasn't been time for people to form a more nuanced view on the whole affair.
The author is too pro-H&M and as such will be discredited at once.
Any relationship is defined by deeds, not words. So expressing say respect from QEII will, I'm afraid, inevitably be seen as hypocritical by the British public.

F) Right now the British editors are giving thanks for this book, to whatever demons they worship! Because it will provide so much more material to write about. And they are not going to change their current angling on H&M.
Two reasons for that: A good melodrama sell! And for that you need the good guys, the BRF and the bad guys, H&M. - That cow hasn't been milked dry yet!
Secondly, H&M have seriously alienated the British press. This is an opportunity to get back at H&M and they are going to use it!

Last edited:
Carolyn Durand is the other journalist rumoured to be associated with the biography. Even the Fail describes her as 'respected'. She now writes for Elle but has written on the Royals for various publications for over fifteen years. She was also employed by the ABC in the US for years.

I do not believe that this is going to be a second Morton book at all, (as the DM hinted today) though I'm sure certain tabloids would love it to be so. The Sussexes have given two interviews to the authors and that's all.

The couple arent even cooperating to the extent that Prince Charles did with Jonathon Dimbleby. There's no mention of a televised account of their lives. And this book isn't even going to be published until August/September.

And as I said before, I believe this is an attempt to get their side of things out there with reference to the lies that have been published about them over three years, not an attack on the BRF.

Last edited:
Thank you Sun Lion for alerting us to this book and the Fail article describing it. I actually read the article with glee; the Fail is so very predictable. Clearly the 'Thoroughly Modern Royals' aka the Sussex family have taken on a fight with the British tabloids that will be very entertaining to watch. I am rooting for Meghan who, from her embedded position in Lala Land will have the home game benefit of taking on the assembled, self-declared defenders of the British Public and its Right to Know. So many questions are going begging here that I don't know where to start but I will begin by declaring for the Sussex family and its right to define its role within the Royal family as well educated, independent and forward thinking people. It will be such fun to see where all this will take us in the weeks and months ahead, as we endure self isolation while waiting for deliverance from COVID-19.

It sounds like it is a typical royal biography and they give a quote or two. No different from the many others floating around. No really seeing what the fuss is except these days anything Harry and Meghan is some kind of big deal.

If I am proven wrong and it is some big tell all -- I will admit it but I somehow doubt it.

OK. If this is really happening with this book, I have to question the motives of both Harry and Meghan in doing this. With the relationship between the couple and so many people including Harry's family, the people of the UK, and even some of us avid royal watchers here, to rehash it all out in lurid detail from their point of view isn't going to do them any favors and win them any brownie points with anyone. Whatever has happened in the past belongs relegated to the ancient history file in the dusty recesses somewhere and not brought out to air again as dirty laundry hanging on a clothesline.

It does reek of self promotion and self glorification and even the has the premise that this couple is as well loved and well followed and well respected as they were before their exodus to a private life occurred. It'll sell like hotcakes though just because of all the drama, the troubles and woes sure to be bleated ad nauseum on every subject mentioned and will definitely be a point of view by the authors to paint a negative picture of everyone *but* Harry and Meghan, the "Wonder Couple That Is Going To Save The World".

Bad idea in my book. Very bad idea. :bang:

I'll also add that most likely, sometime down the line, I will get and read this book because I'm addicted to books and have a very cheap supplier. To be honest, I'm expecting it to be classified in the future much like "Diana: Her True Story" by Andrew Morton was. Of course I already have that one. Somewhere....

For you to be this down about it, as supportive as you’ve been of the couple...well you know it’s bad.

Anyone who remembers the Brady Bunch will remember the infamous “Marcia, Marcia, Marcia”, where Jan complains that everyone pays attention only to her older sister. Harry and Meghan are Jan and the BRF are Marcia.

This is going to be a nightmare.....but, while initially it might seem to be so for the BRF, I believe truly it will be so for H and M. They have established by now that they are self-centered, spoiled, entitled, impatient babies, both in the eyes of much of the public and the media ( I didn’t say ALL, so anyone who wants to dispute this should take note). They’ve established that they have no problem disrespecting and taking shots at the monarchy, and the Firm in general.

I think this is going to backfire on them, big time. The essentials of Megxit are known - HM and Charles preached patience as they tried to help H and M; the latter two opted for immediate gratification. If they try to denigrate the Queen, that will create immense anger. If they try and blame Charles - and to a lesser degree William-, that will create sympathy for the future kings. H and M are so self-involved that it’s mind-boggling. There is a worldwide pandemic that may last for months, and these two feel the need to do a tell-all, as if anyone should care now when people are dying by the thousands, unable to even grieve normally.

I feel sorry for the Queen, Charles, William, etc...as I believe they will be exceedingly hurt by this.

They are not burning that bridge , they are nuking it . Sadly that bridge is the only way off the island they put themselves on .

How about holding fire until we see what this bio contains before immediately jumping to the conclusion that this book will be an assault on the members of the BRF? The Sussexes gave two interviews to the authors, that's all. And this book isn't even being published until August at the earliest.

Did I miss the book coming out? People acting like they got an advance copy. This is like when people were ranting about her GMA sit down interview only for it to be some 2 minute promo for her documentary. Please pump the brakes.

They really doesn't sound any different than the other royal bios out there that were granted some access by the royals of subject. I get the concern but I think some doing a lot with very little information, as usual.

The book is listed on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other sites, although in a thinly disguised way. If you search for "Scobie" spelled backwards, there it is.

There is a book listed, but it's "Untitled", no information about it, only written by Lou "Scobie" and "Lou" Durant (if I read the names backwards). Very mystique!

Did I miss the book coming out? People acting like they got an advance copy. This is like when people were ranting about her GMA sit down interview only for it to be some 2 minute promo for her documentary. Please pump the brakes.

They really doesn't sound any different than the other royal bios out there that were granted some access by the royals of subject. I get the concern but I think some doing a lot with very little information, as usual.

I may of jumped the gun with my gut reaction but usually I trust my gut. You're right, Aco, that we don't know what is going to be in this book or really much about it other than the supposed "working title" and the authors.

It may be a simple biography entailing first the courtship and relate their experiences up until the final exit as working royals. Perhaps that is why the word "royal" is believed to be in the book title. They may even attach sales of this book to fund an incentive for all we know.

The thing though with the news hitting about this possible books being released in August is that, with the timing, the general outlook towards the Sussexes and the globe battling a pandemic, its not good timing and is sure to stir up a hornet's nest and get opinions buzzing. ?

I think I was their number one fan but now…. I can't understand.
They said they wanted a private normal life….
I noticed that their Instagram page had lost in a few days 100 K followers.
I am so dissapointed. Especially in these terrible times where people are afraid for their life, their jobs et…. Utterly sad but… they are old enough to take their own décisions. I fear the price will be heavy.

I unfollowed their IG. I am sure many have. They no longer using it. Also this book has clearly been in the works for a while. A tabloid leaking it is not them announcing anything. That is a tabloid being a tabloid. They requested comments and were ignored. It comes out in August. Why are people acting like they control a publisher? Yall giving these folks way too much power. This date was probably in the calendar for a while.

Harry and Meghan have given two interviews to writers of a new biography to be published in August. They haven't announced the publication of the book themselves. Nor have they stated that they intend to write a tell all volume themselves about their lives as royals, or that there is going to be a tell all interview with Oprah or Gail King denouncing the BRF, as the tabloids breathlessly announced there undoubtedly would be a few months ago.

Their lawsuit against a newspaper group began a few days ago and coincided with an announcement that they wanted nothing to do with Britain's main tabloids. And I say, good for them.

Apart from that the Sussexes haven't said anything or done anything in recent weeks except move over to LA, deliver food to ill people in West Hollywood and send an email to the family of a dead girl in connection with WellChild.

IMO everyone should just calm down until this book is published and we can see what is actually there in black and white before there are pronouncements of doom about this couple's actions.

I think I was their number one fan but now…. I can't understand.
They said they wanted a private normal life….
I noticed that their Instagram page had lost in a few days 100 K followers.
I am so dissapointed. Especially in these terrible times where people are afraid for their life, their jobs et…. Utterly sad but… they are old enough to take their own décisions. I fear the price will be heavy.

Don't be so disappointed. Making such a book was surely something thought abvout for a long, long time.It's not done hush-hush, it needs careful preparation, research, interviews (if that is true) with M&H, finding a publisher, writing, editing, printing, making pre-sale PR - it surely is just one of those "How do we met"-books which we could have waited for since their wedding. I'm sure similar books appeared after the Cambridge-wedding as well. Only because H&M know this author, doesn't mean they'd do a "Princess Di"-thing. Especially as it is not very realistic to think that Harry would do such a thing as long as his grandmother is still alive and his father "only" the heir. With a project like that, he must have known that there is always the risk to publich the book during people's mourning of their beloved queen - and I don't think Harry is so cold-hearted to want that, putting any kind of controversy at the beginning of his father's rule!

What the Mail wishes the book would be anbout is a different piece - don't liosten to them when it comes to H&M. Even if they know a bit, they'd turn everything into negative publicity.:flowers::flowers:

In case of a book where H&M will - directly or indirectly - badmouth the RF (and that already means spilling some details about them) the one year hiatus will certainly be cut short to become permanent.

Don't know if this is a good idea, a bad idea, but its their choice.
To be published after Meghan's 39th birthday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that the rules and directions posted at the beginning of the General News thread apply equally to this thread as well. Thank you.

Someone who seeks privacy does not write an autobiography, two seconds after they were involved in an high drama personal situation that left them looking like two selfish petulant children than gown up adults, nor give interviews for one. They just go back to the shadows and do their thing, let their actions speak.

Do we really need to know the details of their courtship? If that is in the book, that seems like too of a private information to share.
And it will likely create more questions than answers.

As for the “only two interview”; these could have been two, hours long, sit downs.

Scobie is not an unbiased writer (I hesitant to call him journalist) by any stretch of the imagination. He is very pro Megahn, to the point his articles feel more like PR write ups than an unbiased point of view.

I fail to see how this will help their reputation, outside of their crazy stan groupies who will not stop to question anything in the book.
They should have denied giving the interview to the book. Plain and simple, let the authors write what they want but don’t cooperate if you want a private life.

I really, really don't like the idea of this book, and for many reasons. I'm also very torn - because while I would really love to hear H&M's side of the story I also know that we won't get the BRF side, because they won't lower themselves to talking about the, for the lack of better word, the Sussexes fiasco.

But I wouldn't actually blame them for this - for all we know at this point the book was already in works and it would be published with or without their cooperation. Their decision to cooperate with the authors isn't surprising to me at all - they want to have control of their image, so making sure this book shines a very positive light on them by giving access to themselves and certain information is one of the crucial steps.

That said, Omid Scobie being the author will make this book that could be otherwise interesting a worthless read. It takes one look at his twitter to notice that he does not have an impartial bone in his body - which might be imperative to keep a working relationship with the Sussexes, or at least it looks like that.

But there's also one more aspect of this - the timing. I would love it if H&M (if they even want to) waited a bit with a book like that. And by that I don't mean they have any sort of control over this one, but they definitely have control over cooperating with the authors. Let the dust settle, even a little. Every single passage, quote and story from this book will be dissected by the tabloids... is this really what they want?

My first post might have been making a lot of assumptions and jumping to the more extreme conclusions. We really don't know what's going to be in the book.

I was honestly shocked because it did have me thinking about very public dirty feuds of the past (via books, newspapers and interviews) and how that didn't help anyone or the institution of the monarchy.

It also goes against much of what they have been publicly complaining about in the last few days - their privacy. They may wish to give their version of events and to "set the record straight" but that isn't going to stop the gossip, it will only increase it and play into the narrative that the last thing they want is everyone to stop talking, they just *extremely futilely* want to control their press like A list superstars try and do. Also it's inevitably going to cast shadow on family members still working for the Firm and who can't respond to any allegations made.

It was inevitable that there were going to be books about this but they should have just let them be written and used their actions from April 1st on out speak for themselves, not enlisted their favourites to help.

And the timing of this is also really poor.

If the book is being released in August then this was in production for a while. Long before they left the family. I would bet likely began mid last year. We also have no ideas how they contributed. It could be based on their work. It could be more personal quotes. We have no idea.

As for impartial with Omid and Durand... how is that any different than Rob Jobson and his bio on Charles. He is very pro The Prince of Wales. He was allowed access. Many of the royals have contributed to things written about them. This isn’t new with Harry and Meghan.

This pandemic is awful but things were in motion before it hit us all. Maybe it is being delayed. They didn’t announce it. People went digging for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom