The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 02:58 PM
Serene Highness

If it were me, there is no way I would have asked for anything special if I were Meghan or complained about anything (tiara practice, shopping with Kate etc.) I would have submitted myself to the ways of the RF if was about to become one of them, and done the best I could do. I would have asked for and taken advice that I was given. When in Rome... But then, I have been following the RF for 40 years, and supposedly Meghan had never heard much about them.

Old 08-16-2020, 03:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The more I think about it, the more I wonder really what kind of "freedom" are Harry and Meghan really going to ever have? The more they act, the more they come out and say things and the more "publicity" these two people are getting, the more it seems that there is nowhere on the planet that these two will ever be able to go and be "left alone" to do their "own thing" and be taken seriously.

If either one of them had "baggage" before the beginning of 2020, they've sure done a remarkable job of taking on a lot of luggage ever since. To really have a quiet, private life raising Archie and just going about their lives doing what they feel they want to do now has as much chance of happening as a tornado ripping through a junkyard and assembling a fully operational private jet for the two of them.

If they had just taken their time, left the "Firm" on an amicable standing with the blessings of all the BRF and sailed into the sunset and laid low for six months to a year (or now until the pandemic scare passes back into somewhat of a normal world), they would be taken so much more seriously than the "shock and awe" we've had from this couple since the South African trip and the interview that really, when you think about it, ranks right up with Andrew's. A *huge* mistake.
Yes, they are their own worst enemies.

Old 08-16-2020, 03:08 PM
Courtier

Here’s another book review. They’re coming right out and implying that Meghan pretty much wrote the book:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...prints-it.html
Old 08-16-2020, 03:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Daily update on book.

The last one before the end.

All just how great they are. How others, within the palaces, felt the would eclipse the monarchy.

Just three things of real note really.

The tiara.

I have the distinct impression that Meghan, upon looking online at tiaras, did want one with emeralds. And Omid talks about the one Eugenie did indeed wear. But she obviously wasn't offered.

Anyway Harry being absolutely over the top about Angela Kelly. Completely. Inferring she is Queens gatekeeper. She didn't like Meghan etc etc you cannot always have what you want. But it is very clear earlier on that Angela had said a trial would take place. She probably though the week before or something.

I mean it just goes to show the level of paranoia.

Also the baby shower. It caused many within the palace, who had previously supported Harry to question things. They felt a lot of the pictures were set up paparazzi ones.

The other is the bananas. I mean it was vapid. That is my opinion. Your job as a member of the royal family is to shine a light on the needs and works of others which then enables them to get support and money. You provide the flashlight to enable these peoples to better their lives. You can talk about competition between the households all you like, but this is essentially what it comes down to. Getting publicity for the work which enables people to be helped. No one is interested in what you have to say. As the Queen screamed at Prince Charles in The Crown. Meghan saying she couldn't answer the media back. Why does she need to. They have an opinion. She has opinion. Why would you need to defend yourself.

The overall feeling about this book is absolute indulgence. Like Ancient Rome.

No one in the world would feel sorry for them after this and there are things to feel for them over. The media coverage could be horrendous. But reading this is just a narcissist and her enabler wrankling against the world screaming: why don't you like me? Everyone loves me.
Thank you for your updates - you crack me up!

Good grief, again with “How the Sussexes Turn” ...no one, no couple, is ever going to outshine the monarch...H and M have massive egos and colossal gall, sigh.

Add Angela to the list of people Harry and Meghan don’t like because she said “no”. If it matters to them, and I’m sure it does, the list of people who don’t like them is also increasing, lol
Old 08-16-2020, 03:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
If it were me, there is no way I would have asked for anything special if I were Meghan or complained about anything (tiara practice, shopping with Kate etc.) I would have submitted myself to the ways of the RF if was about to become one of them, and done the best I could do. I would have asked for and taken advice that I was given. When in Rome... But then, I have been following the RF for 40 years, and supposedly Meghan had never heard much about them.

I wouldn’t care about the shopping part, but the tiara practice seems like a reasonable request. Tiaras look mildly uncomfortable and I wonder how they keep them pinned in place without slipping askew.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Here’s another book review. They’re coming right out and implying that Meghan pretty much wrote the book:

I love the book just for the reviews it’s generating...this one left me

As to this, I’d like to know where Harry and Meghan went that had no path..and how they left a trail. Quitting ? Edward VIII beat them to it!

'Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.'
Old 08-16-2020, 03:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post

Add Angela to the list of people Harry and Meghan don’t like because she said “no”. If it matters to them, and I’m sure it does, the list of people who don’t like them is also increasing, lol
It does indeed seem to matter to them and allegedly Harry is/was in the insane habit of not only reading Daily Mail(and other tabloid) articles about himself but the comments as well. I wouldn't do that even for the fluffiest piece of fluffy nonsense that most definitely wasn't about me or anything I cared about.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
I wouldn’t care about the shopping part, but the tiara practice seems like a reasonable request. Tiaras look mildly uncomfortable and I wonder how they keep them pinned in place without slipping askew.
I am sure things could have been arranged - if they had asked in advance. Either with a 'practice' tiara (as Catherine apparently did) or with the real one. If I understand it correctly the main issue was that they wanted the tiara 'here and now' while the one with the key (the Queen's personal assistant Angela Kelly wasn't immediately available.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:37 PM
Nobility

may I ask those who bought the book if Doria is mentioned at all?
I wonder since a long time what she thinks about it all. If she keeps quiet because she knows her only child and fears to be cut off, now that she is growing old?
Or if she is supportive in the sense if M&H have done the right thing and are true victims....
Thanks.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen.CH View Post
I wonder since a long time what she thinks about it all. If she keeps quiet because she knows her only child and fears to be cut off, now that she is growing old?
Or if she is supportive in the sense if M&H have done the right thing and are true victims....
Thanks.
I think Doria accepts Meghan for who she is warts and all
Old 08-16-2020, 03:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
Only 2013?
I somehow thought he was with him for far longer.
Looking up some information for the Invictus Games Foundation, I noticed that ELF is still listed on that website as a trustee for the games. So perhaps ELF isn't "totally" gone from Harry's life?
Old 08-16-2020, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I love the book just for the reviews it’s generating...this one left me

As to this, I’d like to know where Harry and Meghan went that had no path..and how they left a trail. Quitting ? Edward VIII beat them to it!

'Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.'
RALPH!! I love that you've used this quote.

Harry and Meghan most certainly have left the secure, well lit path they originally were to journey on for the rest of their lives for a path that, right now, is hidden by weeds, brambles and lots of fallen logs to trip over.

The adventure now is to see where the road less traveled will lead them.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:58 PM
Courtier

There were some undercurrents, mostly through the media. Meghan was criticized on comments sections for various things, and her older half sister Samantha began her criticism of Meghan to the media. I think at that point Harry mentioned his family would be the one she never had (perhaps because of her half sister and later her father).
Old 08-16-2020, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I am sure things could have been arranged - if they had asked in advance. Either with a 'practice' tiara (as Catherine apparently did) or with the real one. If I understand it correctly the main issue was that they wanted the tiara 'here and now' while the one with the key (the Queen's personal assistant Angela Kelly wasn't immediately available.
Before I read the book, that's what I thought was the whole story too because that's how one of the newspapers reported that extract but actually the book describes a longer process of multiple requests for the tiara (over several weeks) after the initial attempt failed.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
It looks like the shopping incident happened months before Harry was seen publicly with Meghan at the Invictus Games. If that's the case, then of course Catherine wouldn't offer to go shopping with her and have their photos all over the media. I'd have thought Catherine wouldn't dream of escalating the Harry/Meghan stories before Harry himself had planned his own public outing with Meghan.

Meghan may have felt slighted & grumbled to a friend (who repeated it) but given that Harry hadn't arranged to be seen officially with her in public at that point, no doubt he could have explained to her why Catherine went on her own.
I think that Meghan wanted the "escalation". Being seen with Harry wasn't that big as we already knew they were dating. They were a coupe, it was obvious they spent timer together. Outing with Kate would have been huge. It would have meant Meghan met the family, was accepted by them and is close with future Queen. And all that within couple of months od dating. That was something to boost her profile.
Btw, for me bonding over shopping is so ripped from a bad romcom move
Old 08-16-2020, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
That was my understanding too.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

That's quite a claim for the reviewer to make.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNight View Post
I think that Meghan wanted the "escalation". Being seen with Harry wasn't that big as we already knew they were dating. They were a coupe, it was obvious they spent timer together. Outing with Kate would have been huge. It would have meant Meghan met the family, was accepted by them and is close with future Queen. And all that within couple of months od dating. That was something to boost her profile.
It's entirely possible that Catherine shared your view of it too and was guarding herself against being used for publicity shots.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out she actually ghostwrote it as the entire book seems to be written from her POV (not even Harry's).

Quote:
My thoughts with the 'Lane Fox' immediately go to the fictional 'The Hon. Mabel Lane Fox' of Downton Abbey.

I knew the name was familiar! Thank you for reminding us of Viscount Gillingham's fiancée.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen.CH View Post
Thanks.
She is. Quite a lot. Not much is actually said about her. She thought Thimas was unreliable. And seems like Meghan in her rhetoric. Basically it.

Not much is said about anyone but Meghan really, with Harry the supporting character.

Closed Thread