The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 10:55 PM
Courtier

There was a book published about the BRF, "Behind the Palace Walls" by Peter Fearon. I have it. It is the usual tittle tattle -- who was not a good spouse, who treats staff rudely, etc. However, the author went to great lengths to explain the security operations in place around the Royals with regards to monitoring conversations and such. If what he wrote was even close to the truth, Meghan and Harry would have had their communications monitored from Day One, and HM would have been told about any "surprise" plans being hatched. Including "Finding Freedom". I don't think anything in the book was a surprise to HM and BP staff.

The only good thing about the Fearon book was the detailed descriptions of the ways the security services allegedly monitored the Royals.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
So if this was teh case how come Harry claimed that Meghan had had a great time at her pre marriage meetings with the family and that they had been the family she had never had? It seems an odd swing around from "Oh they were lovely and they love her and she loves them" to " they're too formal and cold and Meg felt unhappy with them." Does not add up.
It doesn't. They are talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think that Will is not too happy right now.. I hope it wont last.. but I fear it might be based on H's marriage.. and he is resentful that he has tried to be helpful to H but is not getting anywhere.. and he has lost a fellow worker in the j ob. re them returning I dont quite know what would happen with the public.
They MIGHT just accept H's return or H and Meg's return if they were to come back to royal work gradually.. if they kept their heads down, did their work, increasing it as things improved..
They might be tolerated because the RF's working party IS going to slim down more and more as everybody ages.. and
British people who like to follow royal events might feel "Well, M and H didn't do too well and I'm not crazy about them but they are needed and if they work hard and do an OK job now, its OK that they are back".
BUt I think their penchant for drama making and their seeming to complain a lot and their "dash to LA" will not be forgotten and may always be a problem. Charles may find them stressful to wrok with and always have to be reining them in.
I thin they are a polarising couple.. THey seem to spark off these "wars" between Cambridge fans and Sussex fans and so on.. and perhaps it is better if they stay in the Californian sun.
I think that their political views are pretty evident and that will make it difficult for them to ever be working royals again. Royals are supposed keep their politics to themselves and everyone knows how these two people feel, so that is also polarising.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Would it also be weird if it isn't your SIL but only the relatively new girlfriend of your brother-in-law that you only met one month earlier for the very first time? Going shopping with someone else seems to be an activity for people who are rather close with each other (last year I ended up going shopping with my boss on our return from a conference as we had to spend a full day between flights and while fun, it was a little weird); I don't think they were close at that point - and trying to bond in public might not be the best option either - especially in their position.

So, would things change if you are a high-profile person that at all times needs to think about the press who might spot you when you are going about your own business - and bringing the new girlfriend of your brother-in-law might create more fuss? You'd think they would both want to avoid any additional press attention.
Iím not sure what article youíre referring to, but lately The NY Times has sucked. When Harry and Meghan left, they published an editorial lambasting the BRF and kissing H and Mís rear ends.

In no way is it weird for people to go shopping in the same place and not to go together...people are allowed to want to do things on their own, and they donít need reasons to do so - simply wanting to be by yourself is enough.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
A new mother should be given the benefit of the doubt. I recall getting very nervous when anyone else - including my own mother – picked up my baby, so I can believe that the incident with the first nanny was either justified or an understandable overreaction.

However, when one person has conflicts with multiple people, at some point, we have to acknowledge that the problem is not with everyone else. Harry and Meghan seem to have gone through several staff members. I don’t recall any rumors that Harry was difficult before his marriage, so I think it is safe to assume that it was Meghan who was having a hard time managing the staff. I suspect that Meghan had never dealt with full-time employees before. As an actress, she had managers, agents, stylists, etc., but no one who worked for her exclusively. My assumption is that Harry was so eager to give Meghan support that he failed to help her adjust.

With respect to Charles being more supportive, I am not sure what he could have done. I seem to recall that the broadcaster who tweeted the chimp picture was fired, so what else should have happened to him. Moreover, as we have seen with Charles and Andrew, responding to the media can sometimes backfire, so silence is often the best course.

Regarding whether Charles should have mediated the dispute between Harry and William, as others have stated, Harry and William are adults and should be able to work out any issues between themselves. I suspect that this book is not really a major source of friction right now. I doubt the royal family is happy, but there are literally hundreds of critical books out there. The “revelations” in this one are pretty mild and really don’t paint the royal family in a negative light.

The purchase of the house indicates that Harry and Meghan are not planning to spend much time in the UK right now but, I don’t think that they’ve burned all their bridges. Personally, I think Harry is the one who wanted to leave and if he wants to come back, Meghan will follow. To return, they should simply do the opposite of what they did when they left: No big announcements. Start spending more time in the UK, make a few appearances for their charities, gradually increasing the frequency until they are effectively full-time. If they work hard, I am sure that the royal family and the majority of the British public will be happy to have them back.
I have to wonder.. shortly after the engagement ELF left, he is the one credited with helping to fix Harry’s reputation after the racist and anti Semitic events and the Vegas trip. It really seems things began to unravel once he left, and the wheel was left in the hands of others- likely Meghan and SS.

Which strengthens the theory that ELF was much more than a secretary but also a minder, tasked with making sure Harry was not going of control again and helping to navigate him in a productive and positive way.

All I know is, if I end up with bad publicity, I want ELF to take the wheel and fix it.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
Not only that, The Sussexes also hired an American PR agency called Sunshine Sachs, which is quite a strange choice for British royals.
They didn’t need to hire them, Megahn was already employing them as her PR company before she met Harry, at least that’s my understanding.
There was a lot of chatter off a feminist like her to keep using a company that represented Harvey Weinstein, plus a myriad of other shady people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Not for British Royals who value publicity and the spotlight more than duty, apparently, lol.

Meghan is pure Hollywood. She was a mediocre actress, but now she's a STAR, and she wants all those things that come with being a star.

I have to say, Sunshine [...] [Sachs] is doing a lousy job, because the PR around H and M is ALL bad
I don’t know about that, they have not stayed in business this long for being bad at PR game.
I think it is a combination of: the fact the couple are not 100% Hollywood but are still seen as members of the royal family, and people perception of them is of that.
The way they left, the rumors about their behavior.
this terrible book.
Meghan speeches and the “woe is us” narrative
The “nothing to see here, move along” attitude of the Cambridge’s.

And the fact that, and forgive my language, you can’t spin a dump into gold.

If I were SS I may take them on for the challenge.
Honestly, harking to a previous comment, they need ELF to come and fix them!!
Old 08-16-2020, 03:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Would it also be weird if it isn't your SIL but only the relatively new girlfriend of your brother-in-law that you only met one month earlier for the very first time? Going shopping with someone else seems to be an activity for people who are rather close with each other (last year I ended up going shopping with my boss on our return from a conference as we had to spend a full day between flights and while fun, it was a little weird); I don't think they were close at that point - and trying to bond in public might not be the best option either - especially in their position.

So, would things change if you are a high-profile person that at all times needs to think about the press who might spot you when you are going about your own business - and bringing the new girlfriend of your brother-in-law might create more fuss? You'd think they would both want to avoid any additional press attention.
True. If Meghan expected to go shopping with Catherine after only meeting her a few weeks earlier, it shows how little Meghan knew Catherine. Chelsy was with Harry for seven years, and she was never seen shopping with Catherine. Cressida for two years , and the two women were never once pictured together.

Catherine seems to see shopping as a very solitary, get-in get-out activity. In the pap shots of her shopping since becoming a royal, it's almost always just her and her protection officer. None of her best friends there ever, and without her family usually too (though sometimes she has the kids with her). The only real exception I can think of as when she went shopping with Camilla's sister (a professional interior designer) back when they were decorating Anmer, but that seemed to be a business outing.

Where Meghan seems to view shopping as a way to cosplay Carrie Bradshaw. FF makes it seem like the main reason she bonded with Jessica and Misha was their mutual love of shopping and fashion. If Meghan thinks all women are obsessed with shopping, then she might have been confused by Catherine. But later on once she got a better grasp of Catherine's interests, they had a better opportunity to do an activity together, example go to Wimbledon together twice.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The more I think about it, the more I wonder really what kind of "freedom" are Harry and Meghan really going to ever have? The more they act, the more they come out and say things and the more "publicity" these two people are getting, the more it seems that there is nowhere on the planet that these two will ever be able to go and be "left alone" to do their "own thing" and be taken seriously.

If either one of them had "baggage" before the beginning of 2020, they've sure done a remarkable job of taking on a lot of luggage ever since. To really have a quiet, private life raising Archie and just going about their lives doing what they feel they want to do now has as much chance of happening as a tornado ripping through a junkyard and assembling a fully operational private jet for the two of them.

If they had just taken their time, left the "Firm" on an amicable standing with the blessings of all the BRF and sailed into the sunset and laid low for six months to a year (or now until the pandemic scare passes back into somewhat of a normal world), they would be taken so much more seriously than the "shock and awe" we've had from this couple since the South African trip and the interview that really, when you think about it, ranks right up with Andrew's. A *huge* mistake.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
True. If Meghan expected to go shopping with Catherine after only meeting her a few weeks earlier, it shows how little Meghan knew Catherine. Chelsy was with Harry for seven years, and she was never seen shopping with Catherine. Cressida for two years , and the two women were never once pictured together.

Catherine seems to see shopping as a very solitary, get-in get-out activity. In the pap shots of her shopping since becoming a royal, it's almost always just her and her protection officer. None of her best friends present ever, and without her family usually too (though sometimes she has the kids with her). The only real exception I can think of as when she went shopping with Camilla's sister (a professional interior designer) back when they were decorating Anmer, but that seemed to be a business outing.

Where Meghan seems to view shopping as a way to cosplay Carrie Bradshaw. FF makes it seem like the main reason she bonded with Jessica and Misha was their mutual love of shopping and fashion. If Meghan thinks all women are obsessed with shopping, then she might have been confused by Catherine. But later on once she got a better grasp of Catherine's interests, they had a better opportunity to do an activity together, example go to Wimbledon together twice.
Thinking along this shopping together lines, I have a serious question here. I'm an American born, bred and buttered and its always been a standing joke that when couples go out to dinner together or such, one woman gets up to go to the ladies room and the result is they go in packs. Is that somewhat of how things are in the UK or is that strictly an American oddity?

I'm serious. This is a serious question and I want to know.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Thinking along this shopping together lines, I have a serious question here. I'm an American born, bred and buttered and its always been a standing joke that when couples go out to dinner together or such, one woman gets up to go to the ladies room and the result is they go in packs. Is that somewhat of how things are in the UK or is that strictly an American oddity?

I'm serious. This is a serious question and I want to know.

It's the same here in Germany. When you need to use the loo, you look around and you see the nods from the others and then we just get up and go. To the grins of our hubbies.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:57 AM
Majesty

It's a old but seemingly universal truth that when out dining, pub bing, and clubbing, ladies travel in packs regardless of who they are.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:26 AM
Courtier

I donít mean that Meghan should expect to go shopping with Kate, just that it might be off putting to have not been invited.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

It could have even been Miscommunication between the two ladies.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:09 AM
Heir Apparent

You know what? If H&M get offended by a) not getting a shopping invite and b) not having the photo on the dresser when granny is on tv
and they don't see the invites and perks they *did* get from the BRF (invited on an official representation with the queen etc)

then it's all the more better for everyone that they stepped away from royal life
Old 08-16-2020, 05:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
I have to wonder.. shortly after the engagement ELF left, he is the one credited with helping to fix Harry’s reputation after the racist and anti Semitic events and the Vegas trip. It really seems things began to unravel once he left, and the wheel was left in the hands of others- likely Meghan and SS.

Which strengthens the theory that ELF was much more than a secretary but also a minder, tasked with making sure Harry was not going of control again and helping to navigate him in a productive and positive way.

All I know is, if I end up with bad publicity, I want ELF to take the wheel and fix it.
Harry was absolutely 'sold' as the image they wanted. Rumours were always around that he of all of them had to be managed, have stories buried and be sold as a publically palatable version of himself. William too. Them all too really. But he in particular. Without help to create this image of him, Indont know how he will fair. The Hollywood version of controlling the image is different
Old 08-16-2020, 05:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post

Catherine seems to see shopping as a very solitary, get-in get-out activity. In the pap shots of her shopping since becoming a royal, it's almost always just her and her protection officer. None of her best friends present ever, and without her family usually too (though sometimes she has the kids with her). The only real exception I can think of as when she went shopping with Camilla's sister (a professional interior designer) back when they were decorating Anmer, but that seemed to be a business outing.

I find it profoundly irritating shopping with other people other than my mother on occasion. People mess around. The true task is never to get clothes really and you are holding people up if you try anything on.

If I go shopping with friends, it is never for clothes. Often, if it happens, for Christmas presents, make up, books. Going shopping with friends, in my experience, is more to chat. And none of them.has the slightest interest in anything you get anyway.

I prefer to go on my own a d take my time to wander.

But Meghan's interest in the shops is extreme. Food, clothes, art (so she says).
Old 08-16-2020, 05:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:

I agree, i can't see what's "weird" about not going shopping with anyone, whether a member of your family or not. (I just don't sees why it would be expected, any more than one might expect one's sister in law or friend to say "Im going to the hairdressers, do you want to come.."
Kate may prefer to shop alone. She didn't know Meg well and didn't want to be with her for hours in shops....She may not have wanted to draw attention to Meghan who was then a girlfriends and was, as I understand, trying to stay under the radar...
Old 08-16-2020, 05:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I find it profoundly irritating shopping with other people other than my mother on occasion. People mess around. The true task is never to get clothes really and you are holding people up if you try anything on.

If I go shopping with friends, it is never for clothes. Often, if it happens, for Christmas presents, make up, books. Going shopping with friends, in my experience, is more to chat. And none of them.has the slightest interest in anything you get anyway.

I prefer to go on my own a d take my time to wander.

But Meghan's interest in the shops is extreme. Food, clothes, art (so she says).
agree. I'm not keen on shopping at all.. so I suppose I cant understand people who make a big thing of it and like to be carrying fancy bags from fancy shops. I used to shop with my husband for clothes sometimes, but the only time i shop with friends would be really window shopping, which is fun now and again.. just wandering around looking at pretty things and not really wanting to buy.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:44 AM
Heir Apparent

At the time there was nothing official for Harry and Meghan. If they had been papped together (Kate and Meghan) it would have started a lot of unwanted comments.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
At the time there was nothing official for Harry and Meghan. If they had been papped together (Kate and Meghan) it would have started a lot of unwanted comments.
True, I dont know why Meg would have wanted to go shopping with Kate then, as it would draw attention.. and I think Kate goes shopping alone and on the quiet because she doesn't want much attention. If she were the sort of woman who goes shopping with girlfriends a lot she would probably get snapped more often by the press doing it.

Closed Thread