The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1621  
Old 08-12-2020, 10:17 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Let me ask a question: is there anyone who has something positive to say about this book?
probably the book's publisher/shareholders.

I am more interested in the prospect of the Santa Barbara lifestyle, will the Prince become a suburban dad, will there be neighbourhood playdates, will there be a Netflix series......
__________________

  #1622  
Old 08-12-2020, 10:31 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet14 View Post
My thoughts:-

1. It's really badly written and edited. Does no one proof read at publishers any more? Missing words and ungrammatical sentences that don't make sense + the "fall" for autumn and "gotten" for "got" that make it clear what market it's aimed at.

2. It takes until p306 of a 347p book to get to the "half in , half out" and subsequent exit chapter, which, frankly, is what most people, I think, are interested in. And there's nothing revelatory there - or, really, anywhere in the book.

3. Except (for me) information on the the Queen's jewel vault (about Meghan selecting her wedding tiara from 5 offered). Just a few lines, but I don't remember reading about it before (and am not sure it should have been included).

4. Of course they're not going to sue. There are hundreds of unauthorised books about royals cf Lady Colin Campbell's (which has a blatant lie on the very first page) and , unless they contain material which is so damaging that it's criminally actionable. the RF don't sue.

5. I found it a sad book in many ways, with such potential wasted for what seems small and "get-over-able" reasons..
I agree. I think more than anything I am disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I agree. I don't want to spend the money on any of the books. Besides Mail Online is putting out enough excerpts I don't have to read it.
That is exactly how I feel.
__________________

  #1623  
Old 08-13-2020, 12:23 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Americans are generally considered to be more out-going and open than the British or even other Europeans, so maybe Meghan was expecting Kate to be like her. That said, even in America it’s considered rude and pushy to try and force a friendship...and of course PLENTY of Americans are introverted and shy (like me). Meghan wanting to connect with Kate isn’t a bad thing, but judging her and taking offense because Kate couldn’t be what M wanted is unfair and nasty.
I think in the beginning Kate and William were happy to meet Harry’s new girlfriend and were hoping for good things to come of the relationship but it’s natural that they’d be a little wary. He’s coming home with an American actress, the relationship is progressing fast, the girlfriend in question has no exposure to the BRF or to British life in general and doesn’t seem too concerned about that deficit. Harry is head over heels and doesn’t want to hear anything that’s not uniformly positive..

Regarding Kate helping Meghan out, showing her the ropes and things like that, well, Kate can only show someone what she knows, which is how to work as one member of the The Firm. It probably became clear pretty early on that Meghan and Harry had bigger plans for themselves and, given that, there wasn’t much help or advice Kate or any other working royal could give them. And even if none of the above had happened, the fact remains that Kate and Meghan seem like two very different women. Different backgrounds, different interests, different life stages. Which isn’t to say they couldn’t be polite and friendly.. and maybe a stronger bond would have developed over time. One of the many things we’ll never know!
  #1624  
Old 08-13-2020, 01:27 AM
Helen.CH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chambery, France
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I think in the beginning Kate and William were happy to meet Harry’s new girlfriend and were hoping for good things to come of the relationship but it’s natural that they’d be a little wary. He’s coming home with an American actress, the relationship is progressing fast, the girlfriend in question has no exposure to the BRF or to British life in general and doesn’t seem too concerned about that deficit. Harry is head over heels and doesn’t want to hear anything that’s not uniformly positive..

Regarding Kate helping Meghan out, showing her the ropes and things like that, well, Kate can only show someone what she knows, which is how to work as one member of the The Firm. It probably became clear pretty early on that Meghan and Harry had bigger plans for themselves and, given that, there wasn’t much help or advice Kate or any other working royal could give them. And even if none of the above had happened, the fact remains that Kate and Meghan seem like two very different women. Different backgrounds, different interests, different life stages. Which isn’t to say they couldn’t be polite and friendly.. and maybe a stronger bond would have developed over time. One of the many things we’ll never know!
Exactly, we will never know.
In fact Kate has got the same star sign and though I do not " believe" in astrology there are certain similarities I picked from books aso years ago and friends I have-
all I want so say is that the way Kate's reaction to me looks nothing but natural.
"we" do nit run into new realtionships, being friendly yes of course but taking a look waiting how things develop, thus the fact that K&W have small children whom they seem to look after with much effort.
Another thing/question the baby news are made a big thing, I thought about it a long time and can say in normal families this had not been such big thing but each other would feel happy for one another, must be very different in the RF or is it the media which provoked a problem? is it the media coverage which makes the point?
Beside all"facts" media has spread or this book now and nobody knows if true
I always felt that Meghan is very fake, if one inly looks at her body language and behaviour, her frequent twinkering and moves, I felt she was acting but not being herself(whatever that means) and then of course the mothering of Harry, he may really need it in a psychologically way but how she did, heaven help! she made him look like a total fool, little boy....
these are the things everyone can see, it is real and existing beyond need to be proofed from anybody, body language does not lie-and I must say I really don't like the way M does it, to me it is total fake. maybe she is a nice person in private
but in her role awful, the fact that she is an actress makes this even mire strange but gives no excuse. I find it very strange how she tried to fit the new "role".
thank you ;-)
  #1625  
Old 08-13-2020, 01:56 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I think in the beginning Kate and William were happy to meet Harry’s new girlfriend and were hoping for good things to come of the relationship but it’s natural that they’d be a little wary. He’s coming home with an American actress, the relationship is progressing fast, the girlfriend in question has no exposure to the BRF or to British life in general and doesn’t seem too concerned about that deficit. Harry is head over heels and doesn’t want to hear anything that’s not uniformly positive..

Regarding Kate helping Meghan out, showing her the ropes and things like that, well, Kate can only show someone what she knows, which is how to work as one member of the The Firm. It probably became clear pretty early on that Meghan and Harry had bigger plans for themselves and, given that, there wasn’t much help or advice Kate or any other working royal could give them. And even if none of the above had happened, the fact remains that Kate and Meghan seem like two very different women. Different backgrounds, different interests, different life stages. Which isn’t to say they couldn’t be polite and friendly.. and maybe a stronger bond would have developed over time. One of the many things we’ll never know!
I think that is very plausible.

H&M having "bigger plans" for themselves so to speak, while W&K are an integrated part of the BRF-machinery.
- And IMO H&M were impatient to act out their plans.
  #1626  
Old 08-13-2020, 03:05 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Whooops. You're right with Charles' aim of the Prince's Trust. I didn't think that example through thoroughly enough it seems.

So basically what we're stuck with now is Harry and Meghan wanting to "find freedom" and everything and anything coming out in books that point to a possible reason for "finding freedom" but so far, there's no concrete explanation as to what their personal "freedom" includes.

Makes for interesting discussion though eh?
Charles' Trust did indeed get some flak but he persisted with it, He put his own money into it for a start up and he has worked vey hard at it...and now most people admire his persistence and his determinatn to help people. I don't see anything similar to Harry and meg's behaviour...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
I find the portrayal of Catherine really interesting in this book. It seems to me (at least the book leaves that impression) that Meghan wanted to connect, be BFFs and get the lay of the land from Catherine, but when it didn't happen, instead of just asking for help she got offended and that was it for this relationship.

Also we finally get confirmation that they really did announce the pregnancy at Eugenie and Jack's wedding. The authors tried to put it in a more favorable light, but there's really no world in which this would look good. It was Eugenie's day, the one day when the whole thing was about her and her husband and the Sussexes made it all about them. I hope she at least got an apology


What is missing from the book? I'd love the authors' perspective on "What Meghan wants, Meghan gets" quote. And I noticed how they didn't even touch the issue of the messed up birth announcement and a few other gaffs that happened.
what is the sotry abuot the Pregnancy and Eugenie? Did they announce it at her wedding?
  #1627  
Old 08-13-2020, 03:53 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top End, Australia
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post

what is the sotry abuot the Pregnancy and Eugenie? Did they announce it at her wedding?
Apparently, yes. They were about to leave for the South Pacific tour. Meghan was already showing and so they wouldn’t be able to keep it secret much longer. Eugenie’s wedding was the only chance to tell the family before they left.

That’s the excuse. Clearly they haven’t heard of the telephone. I’m sure nobody would mind not being told face to face when it was explained, “we didn’t want to spoil Eugenie & Jacks day by announcing at the wedding,”
  #1628  
Old 08-13-2020, 03:55 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Apparently, yes. They were about to leave for the South Pacific tour. Meghan was already showing and so they wouldn’t be able to keep it secret much longer. Eugenie’s wedding was the only chance to tell the family before they left.

That’s the excuse. Clearly they haven’t heard of the telephone. I’m sure nobody would mind not being told face to face when it was explained, “we didn’t want to spoil Eugenie & Jacks day by announcing at the wedding,”
Well I hope she didn't clink a glass and stand on the table at the wedding and announce it then. But Im not all that surprised.
  #1629  
Old 08-13-2020, 04:05 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Well I hope she didn't clink a glass and stand on the table at the wedding and announce it then. But Im not all that surprised.
It was obvious when she stepped out of the car at the wedding she was trying to relay a message the way the coat was flapping open. I was sitting with friends and we all said at the same time that Meghan was pregnant. The coat could have been buttoned and nobody would have noticed, or put on something else. It was a I am trying to hid my bump moment, a bump that wasn't even there, followed up by carrying the folders in front of her as they arrived in Australia. It was the celebrity way of gaining attention, then shouting privacy when it suits.
  #1630  
Old 08-13-2020, 04:25 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
It was obvious when she stepped out of the car at the wedding she was trying to relay a message the way the coat was flapping open. I was sitting with friends and we all said at the same time that Meghan was pregnant. The coat could have been buttoned and nobody would have noticed, or put on something else. It was a I am trying to hid my bump moment, a bump that wasn't even there, followed up by carrying the folders in front of her as they arrived in Australia. It was the celebrity way of gaining attention, then shouting privacy when it suits.
Yes it is rather cliched. I feel that almost everything that I felt about her was correct.. except that I thought if she got fed up with the marriage, she would either "grit her teeth and remind herself that she had been a B list actress and that being a royal duchess was a lot more comfortable..." or she'd leave the marriage, go back to the US and be like Fergie, using her exposure as a Royal to make a living...
I never envisaged this big walk out with Harry....
  #1631  
Old 08-13-2020, 04:26 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
By being more approachable, by being less aloof and by using other media platforms than the BRF does generally. And by increasingly taking control and directing what they wanted to convey, be that personal as well as topics they wished to put focus on.
Running around cutting ribbons and looking mildly interested in a recycling plant as well as giving neutral, inoffensive sleep-inducing speeches is not only old-fashioned but having next to no impact.
It's passion and dedication that matters and what people want. Better focus hard on a few selected issues than "being seen" looking gorgeous or happy in a red dress.
That is what H&M would have shown us, had they been given a chance.

Sometimes things needs to be shaken up and new approached tried. That's what H&M could and would have done. Appealing to a much wider audience.
The personal, passionate "Greta-approach." - And in a modern globalized world, that works.

And as for H&M going on vacation oversea. Come on. They are newlyweds. they need to get to know each other, they need to be inspired and develop ideas. And considering the huge focus on their persons, they needed a breather. It's hard work to be in the spotlight and being passionate.
It's time consuming and impractical to drag a security detail along on bicycles all the way to say Turin. Not to mention the constant intrusion from the public.
Again, it's a regrettable necessity.

- Thank you.
It works, I can tell you. You should try it.
It genuinely surprises me how easy it is to argue in favor of the overall approach H&M took.
It also surprise me how easy it is to defend and justify the break-up with both W&K and the childhood friend.

It just leaves me even more perplexed at how amateurish this book is.
The BRF measures things in terms of centuries of history. No change should happen overnight in an institution of such significant national and constitutional importance. People want the dutiful, slightly boring, safe approach that has worked wonders for the BRF for the past century with the additional glamour of state events and black tie events where princes and princesses look like we imagine they should.

The vast majority of UK citizens have little time for the likes of Meghan who obviously thought she knew a thing or two about popularity and could show the 1000 year-old institution the way forward. Despite her much-vaunted intelligence it would appear she thought the Monarchy was some sort of Hollywood show - high on glamour, low on substance where perfectly choreographed public moments and pronouncements would be met with adoration, then she could go home as if she was leaving the set.
She was wrong.
The Monarchy has made major changes over the past decades and any subsequent changes will necessarily be slow and measured. To paraphrase Netflix, the Crown always wins, and the Crown knows much better than Meghan Markle.

I have no doubt that the Sussexes were given a vast array of options around where they could focus - the Commonwealth being one of them. But this was obviously not enough for them. I think this says so much about their approach to duty and supporting the institution that they couldn't even stick this for 1 year because the need adoration and fawning and the spotlight continually - this is the only measurement that they are interested in.
I wish them well and hope that they lose themselves in sunny California and never darken UK shores again or subject us to their empty posturing, no matter how well-intended it is.
Good riddance!
  #1632  
Old 08-13-2020, 04:27 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,533
Just a questions for those who have seen or have the book, I read in a few places it makes some rather snarky comments about Kate, comparing how long it took for the Queen to invite them on a visit with her, saying Kate never wanted to work etc. Are those true or just people making it up?
  #1633  
Old 08-13-2020, 04:31 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Just a questions for those who have seen or have the book, I read in a few places it makes some rather snarky comments about Kate, comparing how long it took for the Queen to invite them on a visit with her, saying Kate never wanted to work etc. Are those true or just people making it up?
How do you mean "how long it took for the quene to invite them on a visit with her"? And who was saying that kate never wanted to work?
  #1634  
Old 08-13-2020, 04:42 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Just a questions for those who have seen or have the book, I read in a few places it makes some rather snarky comments about Kate, comparing how long it took for the Queen to invite them on a visit with her, saying Kate never wanted to work etc. Are those true or just people making it up?
Kate and William were slated at the time for their long courtship. In hindsight this worked very well and was the right thing to do. She was called "Waity Katy" with the implication she didn't want to do the hard Royal work.

The tabloids at the time of Meghan's first official engagement with The Queen highlighted that the DoC didn't have such an early opportunity. But that was an example of tabloids being tabloids trying to be provocative.
  #1635  
Old 08-13-2020, 04:57 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,533
I was asking those who kindly said they had had access to a copy and to ask any questions if its true the book often seeks to compare Kate and Meghan, somewhere I read that the book says something along the line of "While it took a year or the Queen to take Kate out on a visit with her it only took Meghan a few months". I'm not trying to start a conversation about all that here, we know the facts and have reasons in our minds as to why. What I am trying to work out is if the book is very negative towards Kate (or re these quotes I have seen either untrue or taken out of context, the book may be very balanced) and if W&K are going to hate the book because it is quite negative towards them. Likewise I guess it would be interesting to know if the book is all positive about Charles and HM or again, if it is balanced.
  #1636  
Old 08-13-2020, 05:20 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I was asking those who kindly said they had had access to a copy and to ask any questions if its true the book often seeks to compare Kate and Meghan, somewhere I read that the book says something along the line of "While it took a year or the Queen to take Kate out on a visit with her it only took Meghan a few months". I'm not trying to start a conversation about all that here, we know the facts and have reasons in our minds as to why. What I am trying to work out is if the book is very negative towards Kate (or re these quotes I have seen either untrue or taken out of context, the book may be very balanced) and if W&K are going to hate the book because it is quite negative towards them. Likewise I guess it would be interesting to know if the book is all positive about Charles and HM or again, if it is balanced.
Oh I see. I think that its possible that the book IS trying to downgrade K at the expense of Meg.. "how hard Meg worked, while Kate stayed home with her kids and ate bonbons." and that the queen took ages to take K on an engagement.
I think that the queen took M on an engagement, as a mark of favour because she wanted to be seen being especially nice to Meg.. because of her having goten flak from her own relatives and some racist commentary. And also, she probably felt that if Meg was eager to get started with her royal work, it would be nice to help her along by taking her on a visit or 2. However Kate I think wanted to have the chance to play herself slowly into royal work and was glad of having a few years at home with the children when they were very small...
  #1637  
Old 08-13-2020, 05:21 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
Kate and William were slated at the time for their long courtship. In hindsight this worked very well and was the right thing to do. She was called "Waity Katy" with the implication she didn't want to do the hard Royal work.

The tabloids at the time of Meghan's first official engagement with The Queen highlighted that the DoC didn't have such an early opportunity. But that was an example of tabloids being tabloids trying to be provocative.
The "Waity Katey" nickname was more to do with her waiting for William. A lot of people felt that she had no other life but wanting to marry WIll and had never had a full time job of her own, and that she spent too much time waiting for William to be ready to get married...
  #1638  
Old 08-13-2020, 05:47 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
The "Waity Katey" nickname was more to do with her waiting for William. A lot of people felt that she had no other life but wanting to marry WIll and had never had a full time job of her own, and that she spent too much time waiting for William to be ready to get married...
I have always seen it as her ambition having a different kilt and that in line with her family she agreed to put her eggs in the William basket knowing that having a full career would limit her availability. I always thought the 2007 break was an ultimatum talk: are we going to get married because if we are not I need to start building a life of my own. I always thought that getting back together was contingent on William promising that. She was 25 and probably felt she had given up enough and if it wasn't going to work she needed to get on with her life.

Her parents too legally threatened photographers upon the break. Which was the right way to do it.

Also per the book. I get thr feeling that Meghan may have used the decision to renew Suits for another year as a push for a proposal.

I don't think this is bad on either women. In fact it's what women do. And both women were in the back sit power wise regarding their relationship and what they were sacrificing because of it.
  #1639  
Old 08-13-2020, 05:57 AM
Fem's Avatar
Fem Fem is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK, Poland
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
It was obvious when she stepped out of the car at the wedding she was trying to relay a message the way the coat was flapping open. I was sitting with friends and we all said at the same time that Meghan was pregnant. The coat could have been buttoned and nobody would have noticed, or put on something else. It was a I am trying to hid my bump moment, a bump that wasn't even there, followed up by carrying the folders in front of her as they arrived in Australia. It was the celebrity way of gaining attention, then shouting privacy when it suits.
That is mind-boggling to me. She COULD have dressed in a way that would not start any rumours, she COULD have hide it for just one more day to not take away anything from Eugenie's day. She CHOSE not to.

And for people who - at least the book leaves that impression - were not happy with playing second fiddle to William and Catherine, the Sussexes should've had more compassion and understanding for Eugenie's position and not try to make it about themselves no matter how happy the news were.
But come on, that coat screamed "look at me, I'm pregnant!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Just a questions for those who have seen or have the book, I read in a few places it makes some rather snarky comments about Kate, comparing how long it took for the Queen to invite them on a visit with her, saying Kate never wanted to work etc. Are those true or just people making it up?
I don't have time to go over the book one more time and look for specific quotes, but there were a few moments when I thought "are you seriously going there" when it came to Catherine. First was something about how Meghan thought she was going to show her the ropes and bond about being married to BRF, second, yes, as you said they compared how long it took for HMQ to invite Catherine for an engagement to how fast Meghan got one, without offering any explanation on why there was a difference. There are also other moments, like something about how they didn't want their house to be like Cambridges and little stuff like that.
  #1640  
Old 08-13-2020, 06:09 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,595
A question for those who read the book:

Assuming H&M were more or less involved in this book and as such it's content, who is really talking?
Predominantly Meghan?
Harry?
Both?
None?

And who do you think was behind what in particular?
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asian birth britain britannia british british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese colorblindness commonwealth countries coronation crown jewels customs dresses duchess of sussex duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family tree fashion and style gemstones genetics george vi gradenigo harry and meghan henry viii highgrove history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs japan history kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchy mongolia names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince harry queen elizabeth ii queen victoria st edward sussex suthida tradition unfinished portrait united states wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×