Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 03:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
By being more approachable, by being less aloof and by using other media platforms than the BRF does generally. And by increasingly taking control and directing what they wanted to convey, be that personal as well as topics they wished to put focus on.
Running around cutting ribbons and looking mildly interested in a recycling plant as well as giving neutral, inoffensive sleep-inducing speeches is not only old-fashioned but having next to no impact.
It's passion and dedication that matters and what people want. Better focus hard on a few selected issues than "being seen" looking gorgeous or happy in a red dress.
That is what H&M would have shown us, had they been given a chance.

Sometimes things needs to be shaken up and new approached tried. That's what H&M could and would have done. Appealing to a much wider audience.
The personal, passionate "Greta-approach." - And in a modern globalized world, that works.

And as for H&M going on vacation oversea. Come on. They are newlyweds. they need to get to know each other, they need to be inspired and develop ideas. And considering the huge focus on their persons, they needed a breather. It's hard work to be in the spotlight and being passionate.
It's time consuming and impractical to drag a security detail along on bicycles all the way to say Turin. Not to mention the constant intrusion from the public.
Again, it's a regrettable necessity.

- Thank you.
It works, I can tell you. You should try it.
It genuinely surprises me how easy it is to argue in favor of the overall approach H&M took.
It also surprise me how easy it is to defend and justify the break-up with both W&K and the childhood friend.

It just leaves me even more perplexed at how amateurish this book is.
I agree that there are many better (and more persuasive) ways that Meghan and Harry could have explained their point of view but there are still major holes. I think that William and Kate are very relatable and approachable.

With respect to cutting ribbons, it may be boring to tour a plant that makes widgets but those plants provide jobs and improve the standard of living of people who work there. (I'm not sure that Harry and Meghan were asked to cut many ribbons).

One of the things I appreciate about the Prince of Wales is his emphasis on sustainable economic development. The Prince's Trust has helped thousands of at-risk youths find gainful employment. He certainly is passionate about it.

My suspicion, based on the reviews of the book, is that Harry and Meghan were more interested in the glamorous duties. They wanted to go on the world tours and be hailed as great humanitarians (Greta style) while Charles, Camilla, William and Kate to cut ribbons and address the more mundane needs of the UK.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I agree that there are many better (and more persuasive) ways that Meghan and Harry could have explained their point of view but there are still major holes. I think that William and Kate are very relatable and approachable.

With respect to cutting ribbons, it may be boring to tour a plant that makes widgets but those plants provide jobs and improve the standard of living of people who work there. (I'm not sure that Harry and Meghan were asked to cut many ribbons).

One of the things I appreciate about the Prince of Wales is his emphasis on sustainable economic development. The Prince's Trust has helped thousands of at-risk youths find gainful employment. He certainly is passionate about it.

My suspicion, based on the reviews of the book, is that Harry and Meghan were more interested in the glamorous duties. They wanted to go on the world tours and be hailed as great humanitarians (Greta style) while Charles, Camilla, William and Kate to cut ribbons and address the more mundane needs of the UK.
I think what they were interested in was that little thing "Financial independence". Harry seems to have believed that he could do both. Meghan too. there's some excuse for her, but none for him thinking that he could make money in the US and come home now and again for some charity duties.. (and still have the house at Frogmore and the security men and so on).

Old 08-12-2020, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
So what have they done to help the world in the past few months? Lived in a welathy part of LA, in a borrowed house, turned up aat a few web chats
The great majority of us have done ‘damn all’ for the last 7 months or so! If I were trying to get a new endeavor up and running, it would have been impossible. And if I had a new baby- or even an old baby��- there’s no way I would be out in the community glad-handing strangers and mingling in crowds.

This is about the worst time in modern history to try something new and public, no matter where or who you are. None of us can be sure of how this pandemic is going to pan out, and those of us who don’t have to go out into the world have been biding our time in the safety of our homes. So the Sussex couple is holed up in luxurious circumstances, enjoying their lives as best they can. And it’s no crime to be rich.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-12-2020, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

This is what happens when you have two people who are never told NO.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
coverage of this book's contents has been really quiet in the UK's serious news channels. i wonder if they were asked to keep quiet given that it would be the final nail in the coffin for the sussexes.
I dont think so, there are too many really important things going on just now.
Covid.... Schools returning with Covid still around..... jobs.... recession..... kids exam results...

I could go on...... M & H whether you like or dislike agree or disagree they are not the most important subject on anybody's mind at the moment, in the UK at least.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post

IMO the Princes TRust would have been a great vehicle for M & H.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Yes Charles is part of the firm. They take money form him, therefore tehy're willing to take money from - well jut about anyone who offers it... like they've taken a free house from a stranger for the past 3 or 4 months.
You're totally stuck on them "taking money from Charles". Where, if anywhere is it an *established fact* that Charles is doling out the big bucks? Is there copies of a bank transaction somewhere? Did someone see Charles pass a wad of $100 pound notes to Harry in a back alley? Since when is it a morally bankrupt crime to have friends and family to help out when needed. I'd count it as a huge blessing.

Is it such a horrible thing to have a support system that will back you up when its needed? The situation with the Sussexes and Tyler Perry's home is one that I can identify with. When we transplanted to West Virginia many moons ago, my sister-in-law and her husband opened their doors to us for as long as we needed to get our feet on the ground and situated.

I think too much focus is put on what Harry and Meghan have financially (which, of course, we'll never know as its not our business) and a huge amount of energy is being highlighted to "mooching". Of course, anything that can be deemed to be "detrimental" and "negative" towards this couple tends to take on a life of its own that people just cannot let go of.

But this is just my opinion and how I see it. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and I'm sitting perhaps at a place looking at things from another angle than a lot of other people.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I've said before they could have been set up to undertake duties for the Prince's Trust in the same way Ed & Sophie do for the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. It would have also meant they would have had a natural "in" with Charles to make them feel special.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
The great majority of us have done ‘damn all’ for the last 7 months or so! If I were trying to get a new endeavor up and running, it would have been impossible. And if I had a new baby- or even an old baby��- there’s no way I would be out in the community glad-handing strangers and mingling in crowds.

This is about the worst time in modern history to try something new and public, no matter where or who you are. None of us can be sure of how this pandemic is going to pan out, and those of us who don’t have to go out into the world have been biding our time in the safety of our homes. So the Sussex couple is holed up in luxurious circumstances, enjoying their lives as best they can. And it’s no crime to be rich.
Exactly. Always seems to be one set of rules for one and another for the rest...
Old 08-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I've said before they could have been set up to undertake duties for the Prince's Trust in the same way Ed & Sophie do for the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. It would have also meant they would have had a natural "in" with Charles to make them feel special.
How long woudl they have stuck it? They were given an important adn responsible job with the Commonwealth, whihc is very dear to the queen's heart and they preferred to leg it to LA and hole up in a stranger's mansiion...
Old 08-12-2020, 03:48 PM
Serene Highness

What have they been "personal and passionate" about, though? If they were working with children in underprivileged countries, like Princess Anne does, or supporting marginalised groups, like Diana did with AIDS patients, or even talking about carbuncles, like Prince Charles did, then I'd get it But all I'm hearing is a lot of soundbites. I accept that the coronavirus situation limits what people can actually do at the moment, but I'm not hearing anything of any substance from them.

As for what people have been doing over the last 7 months, a lot of us have been working from home with little or no support from our employers, whilst medical staff have been working extremely hard and in difficult and sometimes dangerous conditions, and other people - supermarket staff, binmen, Amazon delivery drivers, postal staff, and many others - have been working very hard too.

William and Kate's visit to a seaside resort in South Wales might not seem very glamorous, but the tourist industry's been hit incredibly hard by lockdown and the absence of overseas visitors, and a royal visit gives people a boost and provides some publicity.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
How long woudl they have stuck it? They were given an important adn responsible job with the Commonwealth, whihc is very dear to the queen's heart and they preferred to leg it to LA and hole up in a stranger's mansiion...
Like every other member of the royal family, Harry and Meghan had their own areas of interest and ideas of what they wanted to do. Since its been mentioned just recently, I can see how it was with Charles. He wanted to establish his own personal Prince's Trust to put energy into something he's passionate about. So this is a good example. For starters.

What happened is that Charles' bright idea fit very well into the parameters of the "Firm" and its even hard for some people to have the idea and notion that Charles' work for the "Firm" and the monarchy and his work with the Prince's Trust are two entirely different things.

The Sussex plan on how to move forward in their own personal aims and goals (substitute Sussex Royal for Prince's Trust) clashed horribly with the "Firm" and how it operates and was deemed a "no go". It became an either/or situation. If Harry and Meghan's schemes and dreams were to mesh with how the "Firm" operates, we'd see them today happy as a pair of lovebirds smiling and waving the UK flag and doing wondrous things. They just made the decision that the way they want to go about doing things into the future were more of a priority than being a part of "Team Windsor" and the "Firm" and sailed off into the sunset not so very quietly but with a huge sonic *boom*.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
What have they been "personal and passionate" about, though? If they were working with children in underprivileged countries, like Princess Anne does, or supporting marginalised groups, like Diana did with AIDS patients, or even talking about carbuncles, like Prince Charles did, then I'd get it But all I'm hearing is a lot of soundbites. I accept that the coronavirus situation limits what people can actually do at the moment, but I'm not hearing anything of any substance from them.
The only thing they are passionate about is "doing their own thing" and "finding freedom..."
If they were so into charity work, they had a great opportunity on leaving the RF to get out there, roll up their sleeves and work at something practical, They have enough money to live on, they have free time.. they could have dedicated themselves to hands on charity work.. but that's nt what they want to do..> its to pop up and say something vaguely controversial, so that their names will still be in the media, when they do get a chance to
make money...
Old 08-12-2020, 04:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The only thing they are passionate about is "doing their own thing" and "finding freedom..."
If they were so into charity work, they had a great opportunity on leaving the RF to get out there, roll up their sleeves and work at something practical, They have enough money to live on, they have free time.. they could have dedicated themselves to hands on charity work.. but that's nt what they want to do..> its to pop up and say something vaguely controversial, so that their names will still be in the media, when they do get a chance to
make money...
When doctors are turning to having consultations over the phone rather than personal visits and a lot of business still haven't been able to open up to "make money" and people are still being advised to lay low, social distance, wear masks everywhere out in public and rely on hand sanitizer more than that wonderful new and improved lotion to eliminate cellulite, just how in tarnation do people get "out there" and "do good".

How do they go out there spreading good cheer and unicorns and rainbows like they're Santa's elves incarnate let alone draw hordes of people to a "making money" proposition when no matter *who* you are from the owner of an airlines to a laid off worker from Hobby Lobby whose unemployment benefits have expired are draining their own wallets to the point that even buying groceries next week is a hugh *if* and threatening their jobs and their businesses to the point they may have to never reopen again or recover?

The obvious answer is a pandemic called Covid-19. One little microscopic "bug" has brought the world to its knees and it is a nasty little varmint that doesn't care who you are or how much money and chutzpah and "influence" anyone has. it affects anything and everything in its path. And you wonder why H&M haven't done anything??? Look around you.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When doctors are turning to having consultations over the phone rather than personal visits and a lot of business still haven't been able to open up to "make money" and people are still being advised to lay low, social distance, wear masks everywhere out in public and rely on hand sanitizer more than that wonderful new and improved lotion to eliminate cellulite, just how in tarnation do people get "out there" and "do good".

How do they go out there spreading good cheer and unicorns and rainbows like they're Santa's elves incarnate let alone draw hordes of people to a "making money" proposition when no matter *who* you are from the owner of an airlines to a laid off worker from Hobby Lobby whose unemployment benefits have expired are draining their own wallets to the point that even buying groceries next week is a hugh *if* and threatening their jobs and their businesses to the point they may have to never reopen again or recover?

The obvious answer is a pandemic called Covid-19. One little microscopic "bug" has brought the world to its knees and it is a nasty little varmint that doesn't care who you are or how much money and chutzpah and "influence" anyone has. it affects anything and everything in its path. And you wonder why H&M haven't done anything??? Look around you.
Ohter people are working, and "doing good".. A lot of people are working in very diffuclt circumstnaces, trying to go ot work, take care of and homeschool children.... Harry and Meg think the RF isn't doing enough charity work, it seems. so I think this is a great chance for them to show waht they are made of.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Ohter people are working, and "doing good".. A lot of people are working in very diffuclt circumstnaces, trying to go ot work, take care of and homeschool children.... Harry and Meg think the RF isn't doing enough charity work, it seems. so I think this is a great chance for them to show waht they are made of.
OK. I'll bite again. Just what do you propose they do? How? Whatever can they jump into doing on a day to day basis physically and in the flesh to be seen doing all this good stuffs? How do we know that all they're doing is sitting basking in the comfort of their new home and twiddling their thumbs and playing Candy Land with Archie? Last I heard, they weren't wearing body cams.

Where too has it ever been recorded that Harry and Meghan don't believe that the RF is doing enough charity work?? That's a totally new one for me that I've never heard before.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
OK. I'll bite again. Just what do you propose they do? How? Whatever can they jump into doing on a day to day basis physically and in the flesh to be seen doing all this good stuffs? How do we know that all they're doing is sitting basking in the comfort of their new home and twiddling their thumbs and playing Candy Land with Archie? Last I heard, they weren't wearing body cams.

Where too has it ever been recorded that Harry and Meghan don't believe that the RF is doing enough charity work?? That's a totally new one for me that I've never heard before.
I thought that was the whole idea of Finding Freedom. They thought that the RF were annoyed that they were so popular and that the RF were snobs who didn't notice what wonderful things that Meg an Harry were doing (or planned to do).

They didn't want to work within the framework of the RF, so presumably that meant that they didn't like the charity work that the RF were doing.. or they would have been happy enough to stay within the job that the family had allocated them.
And there are lots of things they can do.. if they want to... they spent a day or 2 delivering food, they could have found some charity where they could pack meals for people.. they could phone up lonely old people who are isolated by the Virus... There are things they could do, if they wanted to...
Old 08-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I thought that was the whole idea of Finding Freedom. They thought that the RF were annoyed that they were so popular and that the RF were snobs who didn't notice what wonderful things that Meg an Harry were doing (or planned to do).
From where I sit, it wasn't the work that they would be doing within the "Firm's" parameters that was the problem. It was also being able to do things their way and in their own interests that didn't mesh with the "Firm" that created the either/or problem. I would imagine that if back in the 70s, Charles decided he wanted to open a factory making a product that was totally staffed by single, unwed mothers, the "Firm" would have put a kibosh on that right quick. It was a matter of what they wanted to do separate from the "Firm: that proved to be a conflict of interest.

Quote:
They didn't want to work within the framework of the RF, so presumably that meant that they didn't like the charity work that the RF were doing.. or they would have been happy enough to stay within the job that the family had allocated them.
And there are lots of things they can do.. if they want to... they spent a day or 2 delivering food, they could have found some charity where they could pack meals for people.. they could phone up lonely old people who are isolated by the Virus... There are things they could do, if they wanted to...
How do we know they're not doing this? If its not in the Daily Mail, it never happened?
Old 08-12-2020, 04:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
coverage of this book's contents has been really quiet in the UK's serious news channels. i wonder if they were asked to keep quiet given that it would be the final nail in the coffin for the sussexes.
I’m not seeing much coverage in the US media as well.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I would imagine that if back in the 70s, Charles decided he wanted to open a factory making a product that was totally staffed by single, unwed mothers, the "Firm" would have put a kibosh on that right quick. It was a matter of what they wanted to do separate from the "Firm: that proved to be a conflict of interest.
that doesn't ring true to me. The Prince's Trust was established to help criminal offenders, which would be equivalent of helping unwed mothers. The "men in gray suits" weren't thrilled when Diana wanted to help those with AIDS, which was controversial at the time.

It's hard to really know what they wanted because "Finding Freedom" doesn't explain it. I can't imagine that they were shut down for wanting to do charity work. It's possible that they wanted to get more involved in political issues, which would have been problematic.

However, I think the issue was overshadowing Charles and William. I suspect that the Queen and Charles didn't want them to have their own court because they didn't want more incidents like the media release that took the headlines from Charles's very important trip to the Middle East.

As for what they could be doing right now, I agree that personal appearances are out, but they could be making virtual appearances, like the royal family is.

Closed Thread