The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 08:59 AM
Majesty

Finding Freedom becomes an Amazon best seller in both the US and UK.

https://trendswide.com/finding-freed...-a-bestseller/

Old 08-12-2020, 09:11 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Finding Freedom becomes an Amazon best seller in both the US and UK.

https://trendswide.com/finding-freed...-a-bestseller/
they win financially and isn't that what they wanted most?
I guess a book which was simply pro h&m had not sold well, because if you like them anyway you don't need to buy books&stuff unless you are fanatic, but if you dislike somebody and want to fuel your opinion..... at least M. knows how to make money

Old 08-12-2020, 09:11 AM
Serene Highness

I have not read the book so will limit my comment to an observation. If I am reading the media and the threads correctly a friend of Harry is named. Not a member of the RF but a private citizen. Why is it acceptable for this person to be named or would he have given permission to be named. Or maybe it depends in what context he was named. I would be interested in the views of those of you who have read the book and understand the context.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen.CH View Post
they win financially and isn't that what they wanted most?
I guess a book which was simply pro h&m had not sold well, because if you like them anyway you don't need to buy books&stuff unless you are fanatic, but if you dislike somebody and want to fuel your opinion..... at least M. knows how to make money
How do they "win financially?" They are not the authors of hte book...
Old 08-12-2020, 09:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
From the excerpts I'm reading here I'd like to ask:

Would you consider this book in any way to be to the advantage of H&M?
No I wouldn't. In order to be to their advantage, it would have to increase the amount of interest in them and their popularity. The totally disinterested, the fervent supporters, and the vociferous detractors won't be affected because there's no news so huge as to change their minds significantly. Most people are probably somewhere in the middle and IMO, despite setting the record straight on some falsehoods, this book unwittingly portrays H & M as hugely privileged, emotionally self-indulgent and at times, delusional.

Quote:
The impression I have, and please correct me where I'm wrong, is that H&M directly or indirectly, are explaining the reasons behind their exit from the BRF.

- And my impression is that it backfires totally in that respect.
I agree with you. My overall impression from the book is that the main reasons they left were because they didn't take advice which would have helped them, they didn't accept the need for their work to always be a lesser priority than William's or that it's acceptable for BP & KP to ensure that they don't eclipse the direct heirs.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:24 AM
Gentry

My thoughts:-

1. It's really badly written and edited. Does no one proof read at publishers any more? Missing words and ungrammatical sentences that don't make sense + the "fall" for autumn and "gotten" for "got" that make it clear what market it's aimed at.

2. It takes until p306 of a 347p book to get to the "half in , half out" and subsequent exit chapter, which, frankly, is what most people, I think, are interested in. And there's nothing revelatory there - or, really, anywhere in the book.

3. Except (for me) information on the the Queen's jewel vault (about Meghan selecting her wedding tiara from 5 offered). Just a few lines, but I don't remember reading about it before (and am not sure it should have been included).

4. Of course they're not going to sue. There are hundreds of unauthorised books about royals cf Lady Colin Campbell's (which has a blatant lie on the very first page) and , unless they contain material which is so damaging that it's criminally actionable. the RF don't sue.

5. I found it a sad book in many ways, with such potential wasted for what seems small and "get-over-able" reasons..
Old 08-12-2020, 09:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I agree with you. My overall impression from the book is that the main reasons they left were because they didn't take advice which would have helped them, they didn't accept the need for their work to always be a lesser priority than William's or that it's acceptable for BP & KP to ensure that they don't eclipse the direct heirs.
Being the Devil's Advocate:

M&H have perhaps expressed themselves a little clumsily, but their vision and approach was correct and justified.
It's not a question of overshadowing someone or rank or precedence.

It's teamwork.

In a modern monarchy that is both national (Britain) and international (foreign relations, in particular the Commonwealth) it is necessary, crucial, to have teams that can work on pretty much equal footing and who both overlap and complement each other.
Team W&K dealing with the more national topics and topics related to the dynasty.
While team H&M deal with the more global and international issues, where the high profile of the BRF will add extra weight.

That the senior BRF members, and alas, seemingly William as well, failed to see and embrace these progressive visions for a modern, globalized monarchy, surely must be down to lack of foresight and lack of visions, perhaps even a stiff and dusty outlook.
Given the global situation is so many respects, things cannot wait until tomorrow. Change must happen today, now!
Old 08-12-2020, 09:45 AM
Majesty

how did they engage in all this "Progressive vision" stuff when they walked out of hte job within 18 months?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
how did they engage in all this "Progressive vision" stuff when they walked out of hte job within 18 months?
The Devil's Advocate:

They tried. They tried hard.
But you cannot change what will not be changed, however yesteryear it is.

H&M had a choice: To either remain in a system that was suffocating for visionaries and that didn't utilize their full potential. A deeply conservative and ever more globally irrelevant system.

Or to provide and work within an alternative. I.e. not focus on national issues within the narrow confines of the BRF, but set up their own, global and globally relevant, alternative, that could easily co-operate with the BRF, in particular W&K - without "overshadowing them."
Old 08-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
How do they "win financially?" They are not the authors of hte book...
I look at things in a wider context.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen.CH View Post
I look at things in a wider context.
But even if people do pick up this book out of curiosity, interest in gossip or what have you, it doesn't follow that they'll agree with it or that they'll support any future serious money making venture of Harry and Meghan's which is what they'll need if they want to stop living off "The Bank of Dad" and financially independent.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet14 View Post
My thoughts:-

3. Except (for me) information on the the Queen's jewel vault (about Meghan selecting her wedding tiara from 5 offered). Just a few lines, but I don't remember reading about it before (and am not sure it should have been included).
What was said about the jewel vault? Its things like this which I thnk will annoy the RF the most if they reveal too much.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:30 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Being the Devil's Advocate:

M&H have perhaps expressed themselves a little clumsily, but their vision and approach was correct and justified.
It's not a question of overshadowing someone or rank or precedence.

It's teamwork.
Well thats a having our cake and eating it strategy. In order to have teamwork with W&K on an equal footing, theyd have to accept the same restrictions, responsibilities and expectations of the press, public, monarchy and government. Considering they struggled with their own lesser restrictions, how likely is it that theyd be up for increasing them?

Quote:
That the senior BRF members, and alas, seemingly William as well, failed to see and embrace these progressive visions for a modern, globalized monarchy, surely must be down to lack of foresight and lack of visions, perhaps even a stiff and dusty outlook.
Given the global situation is so many respects, things cannot wait until tomorrow. Change must happen today, now!
The senior BRF members might be expected to proceed cautiously. They have successfully progressed the institution incrementally, resulting in the majority of the citizens remaining in favour of keeping the monarchy and HMQ sustaining her popularity. They arent going to risk all that just so that the 6th in line can enact his progressive visions on a global scale. Theres a huge change ahead when HMQ dies. The time for significantly fresh approaches will be in the next reign when Charles (the well known environment activist and social justice campaigner) could benefit from the support of both of his sons but Harry has scuppered that in favour of Finding Freedom.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
But even if people do pick up this book out of curiosity, interest in gossip or what have you, it doesn't follow that they'll agree with it or that they'll support any future serious money making venture of Harry and Meghan's which is what they'll need if they want to stop living off "The Bank of Dad" and financially independent.
I doubt the public interest will last long, there is another fly on the wall to look at
and Covid has its effects aswell. let alone somebody announce a death or pregnancy in the UK and the US has enough serious problems to look after.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
That's most unwise!

They may be tempted to retaliate or at least state their view.

After all this isn't an obscure blog somewhere, but a book that is going to sell well, and be quoted a lot.
I read the book yesterday and this simply did not happen. Things are being taken out of context here for whatever reason. Her ex husband was mention very briefly and the same goes for her former friend who sold pics/info the the tabloids. They are not dragged thru anything.

LaRae
Old 08-12-2020, 10:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well that’s a “having our cake and eating it” strategy. In order to have teamwork with W&K on an equal footing, they’d have to accept the same restrictions, responsibilities and expectations of the press, public, monarchy and government. Considering they struggled with their own lesser restrictions, how likely is it that they’d be up for increasing them?
Restrictions and limitations are to be stretched and tested. Especially if they are out of date and way too cautious.
It was, it is, time for something new.
Team H&M would have led by example and given half the chance they would have showed the BRF and indeed the world, what they could accomplish.

Quote:
The senior BRF members might be expected to proceed cautiously. They have successfully progressed the institution incrementally, resulting in the majority of the citizens remaining in favour of keeping the monarchy and HMQ sustaining her popularity. They aren’t going to risk all that just so that the 6th in line can enact his progressive visions on a global scale. There’s a huge change ahead when HMQ dies. The time for significantly fresh approaches will be in the next reign when Charles (the well known environment activist and social justice campaigner) could benefit from the support of both of his sons but Harry has scuppered that in favour of “Finding Freedom”.
The BRF has indeed become dusty. It's high time to refresh the whole institution.
With all possible respect for QEII, she won't be around forever, nor will Prince Charles. And a good deal of the popularity of the BRF is personified in QEII.
When she is no more, the growing and vocal republican minority, will gain strength.
You cannot be relevant to an ever more global population and remain in the past at the same time. Going slowly is going nowhere. Serious change must happen already now. Teams H&M and W&K must be positioned already now! Not tomorrow. Now!
Waiting will indeed endanger the BRF.
Unfortunately the senior BRF was too confined, too narrow-minded, too mired in the past to dare realize that and move forward! To follow the lead, the path, H&M had laid out.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

I read the book. I didn't learn anything new really...to me the book comes across more as a clarification or explaination of various situations that happened or didn't happen.

I don't think any of the family was trashed or thrown under busses or what have you...yes it's clear they had issues with The Firm and William/Harry have had issues with each other...but again, nothing new.

To me the book doesn't help them or hurt them...it's just a recap of already known stories.

LaRae
Old 08-12-2020, 11:02 AM
Serene Highness

It’s absurd the constant need for attention...

They want to be front and center...

Tempers...I bet they both have. Always thought Harry was catered to growing up (which he still hasn’t achieved). Want, want, want, now “go fetch”. She seems cut from the same cloth...

Who knows what Charles feels. Of course he will say “door is open”. I wish he would put his foot down, it’s embarrassing to watch him go through this so publicly... you reap what you sow applies to father and son. I like Charles but it seems Harry is his Achilles heel...

With all the toilet talk, a better title perhaps would be “Pissing on my family”...
Old 08-12-2020, 11:08 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
IF (big IF for some) H&M have been involved with the book then they have been quite clever as there is really no way for the RF to hit back - any direct reaction from the RF or those around them would get H&M to point to his being the RF being unkind, trashing them in the media etc, on the other hand they get their side of the story out to the public whilst being able to claim they had nothing to do with it. Whichever may it plays they "win" (as I believe they'd see it)

That is in part why I think the RF are basically ignoring the book - don't let it seem like you are bothered and just keep going on ignoring it rather than giving more fuel for the fire.
I wonder if somebody like Skippy Inskip who is shown in an unfavourable light were to sue where the trail of collaboration with the authors would lead back to?
Old 08-12-2020, 11:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNight View Post
I don't plan on reading the book, but could someone tell me if there are information that Sussexes could sue over? Knowing how they like sueing over every small thing it'll be very telling if they don't sue the authors.
I read (but haven't seen it confirmed - so asked those who read whether they could confirm (or deny)) that the book contains parts of her letter to her father. She already sued others over publishing it, so for consistency sake, she should sue these authors as well.

Other than that, I don't think there is a reason to sue if your reporter-friend puts out the story that you apparently want out in the world.

Closed Thread