The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness

I won’t read the book as of now but can pretty much bet it’s always going to be someone else’s fault throughout their lives.

Unemployed millionaires living in someone’s home—should I say “woe is me” lol

Old 08-11-2020, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

From the Telegraph:

Quote:
The Prince of Wales is much admired by Meghan, whom authors Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand reveal she found to be a trusted confidant who had “really changed her life for the better.”

“Not a father-in-law but a “second father,” a source reveals.

However, her husband’s relationship with his father is more complicated, amid suggestions that Harry felt he was more often more focused on his work than on family.

“Charles tended to be more of a presence at big family events,” one source is quoted as saying. “This isn't a family that pops by to say hi or texts each other to see how they’re doing. There’s a formalness there.”
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...rince-charles/

So Charles and Meghan's relationship is still good - that's nice.

About Charles and Harry...well, this is probably true to some degree, but it's not from lack of love or desire to be a present parent. I think Charles learned this about his own parents (especially his mother) long after his book was published. Based on a recent article I've read , he's making more time for family, trying not to work as hard (remembering what William said in Charles at 70, that he wishes his pa would slow down a bit and be able to spend more time with them all).

I didn't quote the stuff about William and Kate because we all know that they are the main targets of the book.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:53 PM
Serene Highness

If people can do things for Meghan (I include the Mr.) it seems they have a purpose otherwise, you’re out and on to better things...
Old 08-11-2020, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness

I was surprised they included the pee story as some people (myself included) could infer that Harry has a urination fetish.

But then I got to thinking about how Charles and Camilla had "tampongate". Seeing as the book admitted Harry studied Diana's post-divorce speech so he could mimic it during Sussexit, it made me think that they studied tampongate too so they could put their spin on it. That Camilla was Charles non-negotiable and he adored her so much that he envied her tampons. And now we have Meghan was Harry's nonnegotiable that he is so in awe of her that he was even bewitched by her urination.

Frankly, this is a very bizarre book. Confirming that they upstaged Eugenie at her wedding. Admitting that they took much more private jets than the public knows about. And gleefully name-dropping every celebrity they ever crossed paths with. If they were trying to come across as likable and relatable then this book was a total misfire. But if they were trying to convince the World of their superstar status, and that Hollywood would be foolish not to fall at their feet. Then I guess I can find some reason behind all this ego and posturing.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
From the Telegraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...rince-charles/

So Charles and Meghan's relationship is still good - that's nice.

About Charles and Harry...well, this is probably true to some degree, but it's not from lack of love or desire to be a present parent. I think Charles learned this about his own parents (especially his mother) long after his book was published. Based on a recent article I've read , he's making more time for family, trying not to work as hard (remembering what William said in Charles at 70, that he wishes his pa would slow down a bit and be able to spend more time with them all).

I didn't quote the stuff about William and Kate because we all know that they are the main targets of the book.

Considering he might still funding them, it's quite understandable H&M are still sucking up to him.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm no fan of Harry and Meghan's at the moment and I will NOT be buying or reading the book, but I have a hard time seeing how so many of you are taking this book to be the Bible when it comes to H&M and their relationship. I'm sure there are some truths that are in it, but I feel like most of it is just gossip that came from the friend of a friend of a friend. And from the quotes that I've seen it is SO saccharine and flowery. Yeesh.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:23 PM
Serene Highness

I've read the whole book now and there are some snippets of extra information but for me, there are no huge, new revelations about anything although there are several instances of press reports being challenged with an alternative narrative.

The detail of some personal events could only have come from extremely close friends and I wonder if this will come back and bite them. If the friends co-operated with the authors then in effect, that's Harry and Meghan co-operating with them or endorsing the book.

Overall, for me the book confirms:

1 My belief that some of the UK media published false, defamatory stories about H & M, which quickly became global ‘truths’ .

2 Those points I’ve posted here previously about Harry’s apparent inability to accept that his position means his father and brother’s work must always take precedence. Harry and Meghan’s plans and work must always fit around Charles and William. BP and KP will inevitably seek to ensure that H&M’s coverage and popularity don’t eclipse William. It might be a tough pill to swallow but the public will consider the immense privilege of Harry’s life to be a more than adequate compensation.

3 Another point I’ve previously made, which is that Harry was/is the least equipped guide and mentor to Meghan becoming a working royal because his judgement is so skewed by resentment and his (at times) fragile mental health.

4 The other things I’ve said about the whole set up of separate households being dysfunctional and unfit for purpose because it fuels competition, tribal behaviour, conspiracies and secret briefings. The system seems rigid, archaic and often ineffective. I wonder if much has changed since Diana’s complaints about the ‘men in suits’.

5 That Meghan is an admirable person with huge potential but she was launched into public life far too quickly, given that she was always going to be pilloried in the press (as Camilla and Kate were). The changes in her life circumstances were significant, numerous and within a short timescale so no wonder she became emotionally exhausted with the negative (and often false) press.

6 That their departure is an upsetting and sad situation that needn’t have happened if Harry hadn’t been so volatile, impulsive and impatient.

Looking to the future, I don’t know if those who have been criticised can progress past that (eg if I were Catherine I’d be fuming). My sincere hopes are that Harry and Meghan can make a success of their new life but I still think they’d have had a much better chance of doing that here if they’d slowed their pace and dimmed their lights rather than “hitting the ground running”.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I'm no fan of Harry and Meghan's at the moment and I will NOT be buying or reading the book, but I have a hard time seeing how so many of you are taking this book to be the Bible when it comes to H&M and their relationship. I'm sure there are some truths that are in it, but I feel like most of it is just gossip that came from the friend of a friend of a friend. And from the quotes that I've seen it is SO saccharine and flowery. Yeesh.
Than I would expect to hear that H&M are suing omid and Carolyn and their friends for either: breaching their privacy or setting up a false narrative of what happened while trashing family members.

As for the book: what little I read i found to be poorly written, one sides, and I find it disgusting. (Trashing former employees! Trashing her ex husband?!! Why? He has been dead quiet - and I hope he will remain so, as it will create a perfect respectful contradiction to Meghan shorty behavior)
This book more than ever confirms to me Meghan narcissism. I am still on the fence regarding Harry (not unheard of for two narcs to end up together)

I hope all those A-listers see this book and run! I’m sure many of them will.
I hope all her friends will now take a moment to realize that if they fall on her wrong side, in five-ten tears the people being trashed could be them.

Honestly this book is a blessing in disguise because it give me credence when I keep telling ppl: I told you so! - about her.

I look forward to this book being used against her in the MoS court case, and to see Omid testifying.
If she were smart, she’ll cancel the entire lawsuit, and just pay the fees.

Now excuse me, I’m gonna celebrate Kamala Harris being chosen to be Biden running mate, and i’m not even an American.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
but if Harry has come to genuinely believe all this stuff, that's his belief now, and as a private individual he has a perfect right to talk about this stuff.
He absolutely has the right to talk all he wants but Harry knows very well that none of the current working members of the BRF can respond to the claims in the book, even if they’re outright lies. He grew up in this family, he’s funded by the family and he continues to benefit greatly from being part of the family. He also left of his own free will for a life that was supposed to make him happier and more fulfilled.

So it seems pretty low for him to take shots at his brother and sister in law in such a public way, knowing they can’t defend themselves. It’s like punching someone who has his hands tied behind his back. It makes him look like a mean spirited bully.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I have not read this book, but based upon the reviews that I have read and some serialization of the book it appears that Meghan's first husband and her high school classmates are also being discussed as well in a less than flattering manner.
That's most unwise!

They may be tempted to retaliate or at least state their view.

After all this isn't an obscure blog somewhere, but a book that is going to sell well, and be quoted a lot.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:42 PM
Gentry

https://www.newsweek.com/meghan-mark...t-time-1524362

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Royal Exit Came After Being Told 'No' for the First Time
Old 08-11-2020, 04:59 PM
Gentry

I don't believe for a second that Charles still loves, adores Meghan but his relationship is rocky with Harry. He must be tired of Meghan but she wants to be loved by everyone.
And yeah, this book is irrelevant because sexism, bullying but at the same time very posh extravagant story. Really PR-wise, what is this? You claimed you were so unhappy yet now we see how many great experience and private jets they had. Also admitting to upstaging the wedding was probably because they wanted to brag about Clooneys.. and explain why it all ended.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:00 PM
Majesty

Is this true? If so, the only logical thing to do would be to sue the authors (to be consistent; you cannot sue one publication for publishing your letter and let another get away with it):

Quote:
The book also quotes extensively from a letter she wrote to her father after the wedding (which he did not attend due to health problems, he said), which is now the subject of her lawsuit against the tabloid Mail on Sunday for alleged copyright infringement and invasion of privacy after it published the letter.
Source: USA Today
Old 08-11-2020, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Is this true? If so, the only logical thing to do would be to sue the authors (to be consistent; you cannot allow one publication to publish your letter and let another get away with it):

Source: USA Today
Interesting. The book claims that Harry and Meghan wanted to give U.S. journalists more access, even though they are U.K. royalty. I am with the men in the gray suits on this one.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:07 PM
Serene Highness

Why does Trevor Engelson have to be dragged into this? And Meghan's schoolmates?
Old 08-11-2020, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Oh I'm not taking it as a biblical text, that would be unwise to do for any book like this, but I am taking a lot of it as exactly what they wanted out there and completely disbelieve Omid Scobie when he says they had nothing to do with it.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Why does Trevor Engelson have to be dragged into this? And Meghan's schoolmates?
It also says her Suits castmates were jealous of her new Queen Bee status. Basically there are only two types of people in the whole world. Those that view Meghan as a perfect idol to be worshipped and those that don't. If they don't it's because they're jealous of her.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
It also says her Suits castmates were jealous of her new Queen Bee status. Basically there are only two types of people in the whole world. Those that view Meghan as a perfect idol to be worshipped and those that don't. If they don't it's because they're jealous of her.
I haven't gotten there yet. But I am laughing my head off at how perfect she is. Great packer. Lights up a room. Baths gods feet apparently. I can't believe it.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I haven't gotten there yet. But I am laughing my head off at how perfect she is. Great packer. Lights up a room. Baths gods feet apparently. I can't believe it.
Seems (from reading posts) book is about jealousy, greed and being vindictive...
Old 08-11-2020, 05:57 PM
Courtier

This book is awful. Disgusting.

The "holier than thou" pseudo-aristocratic attitude of Lady C. was easier to stomach than this... thing. People didn't like Meghan because she was too perfect? Seriously? I think that thirteen year old me writing fanfiction had more restraint than authors of this book, and that's saying something.

I don't understand the fanfiction-like language, the constant praise and adoration for can-do-no-wrong Meghan, the complete lack of objectivism, the astonishing level of details like baths and texts and (not so) private conversations.

I sincerely regret every single penny I've paid for this book.

Closed Thread