Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 03:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Charles can love his son all he wants and support him and Meghan with his bank account. The door for them to come back as senior royals is based on the British public's opinion- - Charles is not all that popular with the public and cannot risk alienating them further but playing forgiving father when it comes to royal duties and the public purse
I actually think that this article (assuming it's based on any sort of reality from his staff) is an attempt to somewhat gain favour by showing that Charles *does* love his son and isn't abandoning him due to this book and that it's too insignificant to tear things apart.

And to put his side of the story across that he does indeed support them as opposed to accusations that he and the rest of the family were unwelcoming and unsupportive/snobbish/racist etc and basically forced them to flee the family. No cold, cruel royals against poor, vulnerable Di again.

Awkwardly trying to draw parallels between their situations and say he understands it is also tied in with that as well.

Of course going hard on the fact that he's heavily supporting his son and his family financially won't be sustainable forever from a public or royal perspective I imagine.

In the event of a republic I don't expect the Duchies money to go to the NHS anymore than when the same claims were made with certain recent political events. Having a president isn't cheap.

Quote:
Rupert Campbell Black, the womanising showjumper in the Jilly Cooper books, was allegedly based on Andrew Parker Bowles .
I remember that. Everyone went when she announced it.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Her past marriage was hardly mentioned? It was literally referenced in every article about her. "Divorced Meg" was basically her name. They made sure we always knew she was an older, mixed raced, divorced actress from LA. I don't think a day went by without that being said.
I hardly heard anything about it....

Old 08-08-2020, 04:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I wouldn’t trust Harry and Meghan either, but I have no problem with Charles saying this to his son. It doesn’t mean there would be no conditions on his return or that he could just waltz back in with no ramifications...

I would also add, since nothing Charles does is good enough for the public, and since he’s going to be unpopular no matter what good things he does, there’s no reason why he shouldn’t welcome Harry back.....and this isn’t even taking into account that HM has her arms open for a return as well.
Does she? She may wish that they hadn't left, she may hope that they'll return on a personal level but I cant imagine that she's very sanguine... that if they come back, they will be any more reliable than they were at first. At least I hope she has enough sense not to be. I suspect she may think that if they were let go quietly, their new life wont be what they expect and they will be back thoroughly chastened in a year. And from the POV of the working RF, they may feel that they didn't want to lose 2 younger workers.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I’ve never heard of those books, but I know exactly the kind of marriage you’re referring to, lol. Thanks !
Um, the whole divorce and war of the Waleses was prompted by the fact that Charles was involved with Camilla certainly from the mid 1980s.
That was why Andrew PB and Camilla got divorced because Charles outed the affair...
Old 08-08-2020, 05:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I actually think that this article (assuming it's based on any sort of reality from his staff) is an attempt to somewhat gain favour by showing that Charles *does* love his son and isn't abandoning him due to this book and that it's too insignificant to tear things apart.

And to put his side of the story across that he does indeed support them as opposed to accusations that he and the rest of the family were unwelcoming and unsupportive/snobbish/racist etc and basically forced them to flee the family. No cold, cruel royals against poor, vulnerable Di again.

Awkwardly trying to draw parallels between their situations and say he understands it is also tied in with that as well.

Of course going hard on the fact that he's heavily supporting his son and his family financially won't be sustainable forever from a public or royal perspective I imagine.

I

I remember that. Everyone went when she announced it.
I think that Charles can continue to support his son, financially but the question si should he? if H really wants financial independence beter he gets started with it now. And Charles may well feel in these hard times, he loves his son, but he does not want to shell out large sums of money for a non working Royal who is able bodied and not elderly
Im sure that he does still care about Harry, but he can't be too happy about the situation where his son has walked out on the job but is still drawing an allowance from him...I would say he can't understand why Harry did this, or why he is now living in LA IN a borrowed house and popping up every now and again with some cliches about social media.. and If I were him, i wouldn't count on Harry being more reliable if he comes home, with or wihtout Meghan. Charles may well feel that H has been unhappy, and been influenced by her into the walk out.. and that if he doesn't make it in LA he may come back, ratehr tail between legs and be a royal worker again...
Old 08-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Not sure if this has been mentioned but right now there's a documentary on the book on Channel 5 here in the UK:

https://www.channel5.com/show/meghan...w-revelations/

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Um, the whole divorce and war of the Waleses was prompted by the fact that Charles was involved with Camilla certainly from the mid 1980s.
That was why Andrew PB and Camilla got divorced because Charles outed the affair...
What’s your point? Your response has nothing to do with my comment
Old 08-08-2020, 05:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
What’s your point? Your response has nothing to do with my comment
"I admit I'm not up on the C/C timeline, so then.......was it after Camilla and Andrew's divorce that Charles got tangled up with her again?"

Betsy, you posted this? Am I correct? I was just pointing out that Camilla was "tangled up" with Charles well before her divorce from Andrew PB, and that it was in fact the outing of that affair that led to APB wanting a divorce.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
"I admit I'm not up on the C/C timeline, so then.......was it after Camilla and Andrew's divorce that Charles got tangled up with her again?"

Betsy, you posted this? Am I correct? I was just pointing out that Camilla was "tangled up" with Charles well before her divorce from Andrew PB, and that it was in fact the outing of that affair that led to APB wanting a divorce.
You responded to my post where I was talking about books I’ve never heard of instead of the one you quoted here, so that’s why I was confused.

Thanks for the explanation !
Old 08-08-2020, 05:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
You responded to my post where I was talking about books I’ve never heard of instead of the one you quoted here, so that’s why I was confused.

Thanks for the explanation !
Sorry I'm not great at getting a reply under a post, and the other post was quite long.. so I didn't want to reply directly as it would be so big.
but yes the Charles and Camilla affair goes back to the 1970s. I can't see that there is much comparison between it and Harry's love life and relationship with Meghan. I think that Charles may a bit resent that his 2 sons were able to conduct their love life in a different atmosphere, where they could get to know their serious love interests well, and were not expected to "marry a well bred Protestant virgin" after a fairly short old fashioned courtship.......(of course he's a reasonably sensible man and may not do so... ).
Old 08-08-2020, 06:44 PM
Courtier

I think we’ve gone way off topic

I’m guessing with the release of the book this week, we’ll see a lot of promotional interviews with the authors where the subject of collaboration might come up
Old 08-08-2020, 06:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:

I’m guessing with the release of the book this week, we’ll see a lot of promotional interviews with the authors where the subject of collaboration might come up
There's a programme on tonight about the book,
Old 08-08-2020, 07:29 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Does she? She may wish that they hadn't left, she may hope that they'll return on a personal level but I cant imagine that she's very sanguine... that if they come back, they will be any more reliable than they were at first. At least I hope she has enough sense not to be. I suspect she may think that if they were let go quietly, their new life wont be what they expect and they will be back thoroughly chastened in a year. And from the POV of the working RF, they may feel that they didn't want to lose 2 younger workers.
It seems to me that they have burned their bridges and can't come back. They have become outwardly political and have now spoken out about the family. They may be welcome as family members, always loved and always forgiven, but forget their returning to royal work.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I'm sure they'll find a million different ways to say that Harry and Meghan didn't have anything to do with the book......and I won't believe any of them, lol
Old 08-08-2020, 07:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I'm sure they'll find a million different ways to say that Harry and Meghan didn't have anything to do with the book......and I won't believe any of them, lol
I'm starting to think that this is the PR ploy instigated primarily to float interest in the book to be released.

Did they or didn't they *really* relate the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?? Read the book and determine for yourself if they did or didn't and stay tuned to this channel for the next new exciting episode of The Sussexes in LA. Will they or will they not sink or swim??" Film whenever something new is to be released. Inquiring minds *need* to know!"

A bit goofy but possible.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm starting to think that this is the PR ploy instigated primarily to float interest in the book to be released.

Did they or didn't they *really* relate the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?? Read the book and determine for yourself if they did or didn't and stay tuned to this channel for the next new exciting episode of The Sussexes in LA. Will they or will they not sink or swim??" Film whenever something new is to be released. Inquiring minds *need* to know!"

A bit goofy but possible.

Sounds like a combination of the 1960's tv show Batman and a soap opera!
Old 08-08-2020, 11:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I admit I'm not up on the C/C timeline, so then.......was it after Camilla and Andrew's divorce that Charles got tangled up with her again?
During and after.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
During and after.
Thank you!
Old 08-09-2020, 01:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ok-claims.html

Tom 'Skippy' Inskip expressed reservations about Meghan Markle to the Prince. He suggested they should live together before 'doing anything more serious'. Mr Inskip and wife Lara were reportedly 'punished' by being excluded from couple's wedding party at Frogmore House
Old 08-09-2020, 01:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Harry and Meghan DID live together before "doing anything else". I hardly see why Harry would have taken offense at such advice from a friend.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Closed Thread