Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 06:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
The answer is target markets.

The book is intended for the American audience, because that is where H&M want to build their “brand”. They come across as spoiled and petulant in the articles about the book in the UK media- I’m not sure it will play out that way in the US. They might come off as victims of the BRF and establishment, which will garner them the sympathy and help brand building— the whole point in broadcasting their side of the story.
Know what- I am beginning to wonder what will happen next, another book, interviews, talkshows, homestories with H&M? if the book is what it looks like at the moment and turns out to damage their image, how will those two immature personalities react. If they really thought the book would help them or their pov was shown and widely accepted by the audience what are they going to do once they realize it goes the wrong way.
Things got worse since they left, time will if they follow this path of leaking more and more especially as they have little more to offer than stories about the RF.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Meghan nor Harry are Canadian citizens. They couldn’t just stay there. Meghan and Archie are Americans though. Also they can stay where they like. Honestly we haven’t seen that much of them... COVID or not.

As for people not caring? I would agree. Overall I don’t think really care about celebrity or royalty in general until something interesting happens. So I don’t know if people would show up to see her speak at event until that actually happens. The same way I have zero idea how the U.K. public would react if either returned until we see it.

People claimed no one would care and the reaction would hostile when they did their final engagements and that was far from true. We just have zero idea.

Time will tell though.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Meghan nor Harry are Canadian citizens. They couldn’t just stay there. Meghan and Archie are Americans though. Also they can stay where they like. Honestly we haven’t seen that much of them... COVID or not.

As for people not caring? I would agree. Overall I don’t think really care about celebrity or royalty in general until something interesting happens. So I don’t know if people would show up to see her speak at event until that actually happens. The same way I have zero idea how the U.K. public would react if either returned until we see it.

People claimed no one would care and the reaction would hostile when they did their final engagements and that was far from true. We just have zero idea.

Time will tell though.
so why did they go there if they are not Canadians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
As far as I can tell, no one in the States gives a bleep about Harry, Meghan or the book. Of course they have their fans, but they’re just segments on Entertainment Tonight; even in better days, they were never making the evening news or headlines. H and M are completely irrelevant, not that they were ever relevant even in the best of circumstances. Their fans will buy the book, but why would anyone else want to read a book that is essentially a list of complaints by rich, entitled people who live off of their celebrity “friends”?
All the more reason for them to need to build up a base. If they are going to work there they will need people to buy what they have on offer...
Old 08-05-2020, 07:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
so why did they go there if they are not Canadians?
Why not? They went for vacation and extended their trip. People are allowed to visit places. You can even temporarily stay. You can’t stay long term without getting a visa. Canada limit is 6 months. Neither being citizens made it complicated. But maybe they initially intended to stay longer. Covid changed a lot of plans.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I’m a Democrat, so I’m sure I probably agree with her on most things, but yes, I’m sure that’s true about Harry feeling like he’s been freed to some degree. Though, personally I can’t take him seriously anymore as I find him self-righteous and hypocritical...not to mention annoying.

I agree with your last point. I’ve said it before, they’re so desperate for privacy that they left the quiet of Canada for the paparazzi capital of LA, specifically Beverly Hills? For those saying that Doria is there, they could have moved anywhere in the area, not BH. I think Harry and Meghan also wanted to be around their celebrity friends.....for many reasons.
Yes but if you are left of centre, sincerely so, you usually want to get rid of institutions like the RF.. or reform them radically. I Can't see any sign that Meg wanted that. She was quite happy to have the expensive dresses, to take the title and to borrow the tiara etc etc. I don't think it bothered her to be part of the RF in itself, she was happy enough to curtsy away to senior royals and so on.. as long as she was getting the comfortable lifestyle from it. But I think she misread things, and thought that the being part of the RF would mean that she got public adulation and never got criticized and didn't realise that the Press is always ready to bash the rich and the royals...
so she was rich and famous, she had the comfortable and luxurious lifestyle... but she wanted more. She was finding she was not immune from criticism. Perhaps she was a little bit irritated that she would have been warned that she would have to keep her political views to herself, and stick to non controversial viewpoints in public. but again I don't know if it mattered all that much to her in itself.

Perhaps she just saw the whole RF as quaint but its oddities didn't bother her because she felt that she could essentially do as she liked all the same. She didn't maybe take the strictures too seriously. But she found that she could not just do things as she chose, that the Press was not that nice to her, that the RF were maybe a bit snooty at times in private, she began to get angry and feel that if she got out of the RF as a fulltime thing, and went off to the US she had the best of both worlds.
They'd still have tax payer funded security, they'd come back for a few weeks to do engagements, and in the meantime they could make money, do glitzy charity stuff, say controversial things if they wanted to...
I suspect that maybe she saw it like a hiatus from a steady TV show.. where she could go and star in a movie during the off time...

Quote:
Why not? They went for vacation and extended their trip. People are allowed to visit places. You can even temporarily stay. You can’t stay long term without getting a visa. Canada limit is 6 months. Neither being citizens made it complicated. But maybe they initially intended to stay longer. Covid changed a lot of plans.
But they could have stayed there if they wanted. Just they'd have to abide by the normal rules of getting work permits and permission to live there... But unfortunatley the Canadian govt withdrew the free secuirty....
Old 08-05-2020, 08:09 AM
Heir Apparent

They paying security now so would that had really mattered? They could have payed it there too. In fact we know they left before Canada even pulled their security, so clearly that was not the issue.

Yes they could have stayed there. Maybe they would have but let’s not pretend a lot of things happened including a global pandemic. It’s clear they wanted to be near family — so it was either his or hers. They picked hers.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
They paying security now so would that had really mattered? They could have payed it there too. In fact we know they left before Canada even pulled their security, so clearly that was not the issue.

Yes they could have stayed there. Maybe they would have but let’s not pretend a lot of things happened including a global pandemic. It’s clear they wanted to be near family — so it was either his or hers. They picked hers.
I think it did matter. They chose Canada probably because it was a cheaper place to settle initially but near enough to the US to work there. And Trudeau gave them free security for a time.. as a courtesy. When the COvid struck and they had no doubt been warned that the free security would stop, and that travel would be forbidden soon...they headed for LA where they had probably wanted to be all along
Old 08-05-2020, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Yes but if you are left of centre, sincerely so, you usually want to get rid of institutions like the RF.. or reform them radically. I Can't see any sign that Meg wanted that. She was quite happy to have the expensive dresses, to take the title and to borrow the tiara etc etc. I don't think it bothered her to be part of the RF in itself, she was happy enough to curtsy away to senior royals and so on.. as long as she was getting the comfortable lifestyle from it. But I think she misread things, and thought that the being part of the RF would mean that she got public adulation and never got criticized and didn't realise that the Press is always ready to bash the rich and the royals...
so she was rich and famous, she had the comfortable and luxurious lifestyle... but she wanted more. She was finding she was not immune from criticism. Perhaps she was a little bit irritated that she would have been warned that she would have to keep her political views to herself, and stick to non controversial viewpoints in public. but again I don't know if it mattered all that much to her in itself.

Perhaps she just saw the whole RF as quaint but its oddities didn't bother her because she felt that she could essentially do as she liked all the same. She didn't maybe take the strictures too seriously. But she found that she could not just do things as she chose, that the Press was not that nice to her, that the RF were maybe a bit snooty at times in private, she began to get angry and feel that if she got out of the RF as a fulltime thing, and went off to the US she had the best of both worlds.
They'd still have tax payer funded security, they'd come back for a few weeks to do engagements, and in the meantime they could make money, do glitzy charity stuff, say controversial things if they wanted to...
I suspect that maybe she saw it like a hiatus from a steady TV show.. where she could go and star in a movie during the off time...
With all due respect, that is your opinion that being “left of center” equates to being Republican. I don’t want to take this off-topic, so I’ll just end it by saying that I disagree about Meghan; from what I’ve read, she did want create a revolution from within. I DO agree that she and Harry both wanted the easy part of Royalty, the lavish lifestyle and privileges, without the hard part.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:14 PM
Majesty

I never said any such thing if you mean it in the American sense of Republican Party... If you mean preferring a republic to a monarchy, yes Id say most left of centre people would prefer a republic...
Old 08-05-2020, 12:18 PM
Serene Highness

Who knows what Meghan did or didn't expect? But surely Harry, after being a member of the Royal Family all his life, should, by his mid-30s, have known exactly how things worked.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:37 PM
Courtier

Although the lawsuits are being discussed elsewhere, it is worth noting in this discussion that the latest ruling in what we refer to as the “Daily Mail” suit calls out Meghan for leaking confidential information directly to Omid Scobie.

Again, there is another thread that discusses why this was done, the legal implications, etc. I am sure there will be those who say that just because Meghan leaked information to him about her ongoing high-stakes lawsuit, that is no reason to think she would leak information for a book. Think what you will.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Her attorney 100% did give info about the suit to friendly reporters for coverage but it wasn't just Omid. I remember other reporters posting the same info. Victoria Murphy being one of them. Jack from Newsweek being another but I am not surprised MOS focused on Omid -- if I were them I would too as his name is in the media currently.

The 20 page document also highlighted how the MOS purposely mislead their information. They even went to print with info before it was even officially available in court notes... all for clicks. Both sides playing too much out in the media.

It was wise for the judge to put an end to that (for now). And funny enough the coverage of this ruling was pretty straightforward. But that was to be expected.

Also her attorney was Johnny Depp's. He did the same in his case too. Media games.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:36 PM
Courtier

I’m not sure whether or not the MOS focused on Omid. I don’t/ can’t open the DM website because it doesn’t allow ad blockers. I read the document myself and haven’t actually read any coverage.

There is a wonderful discussion to be had about what both sides did and the judge putting a stop to it, [...] What’s relevant here, for this book discussion, is that yes: Meghan does in fact give information directly to Scobie in order for it to be published to paint her in a favorable light.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Her attorney 100% did give info about the suit to friendly reporters for coverage but it wasn't just Omid. I remember other reporters posting the same info. Victoria Murphy being one of them. Jack from Newsweek being another but I am not surprised MOS focused on Omid -- if I were them I would too as his name is in the media currently.

The 20 page document also highlighted how the MOS purposely mislead their information. They even went to print with info before it was even officially available in court notes... all for clicks. Both sides playing too much out in the media.

It was wise for the judge to put an end to that (for now). And funny enough the coverage of this ruling was pretty straightforward. But that was to be expected.

Also her attorney was Johnny Depp's. He did the same in his case too. Media games.

Mmm this is not the place for it but that isn't quite true. Meghan's solicitors would be leaking. Sherborne is the barrister and has actually been hired by the solicitors.

Sherborne is a savvy media barrister but he isn't really known for his games with the press. Seeing as he is the one who took them to court in Levenson.

That Meghan has leaked to the press in the past is an own goal. Games of court. Something happens once more likely to happen again.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

Having just quickly looked the DM site they don't mention anything about Omid Scobie at all. Just a brief article saying that the friends will remain anonymous for now.

It mostly seems to be social media and forum users that quickly picked up that Omid Scobie was explicitly named as someone who was given direct inside scoop by Megan and her solicitors within minutes of the hearings and therefore adds a lot more impartial weight to the idea that they gave information directly to him for this book in the same way, even if it wasn't face to face.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:03 PM
Administrator

A reminder that we can discuss the book, Finding Freedom, and issues relating to the content of the book in this thread.

Discussion concerning the current Court case and issues relating to, or emanating from, that may be discussed in the https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...o=newpost.html thread.

What we wish to avoid is discussing the same things in two different threads.

If in doubt, please contact a moderator or administrator by PM for clarification. Thank you.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I never said any such thing if you mean it in the American sense of Republican Party... If you mean preferring a republic to a monarchy, yes Id say most left of centre people would prefer a republic...
Yes you did, and it’s pretty obvious I meant Republican in the UK sense. We’ll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:25 PM
Aristocracy

"Meghan never considered giving birth at St. Mary's Hospital in London, where Kate delivered all three of her children," reads a report from People about the book's contents. Meghan wanted to deliver somewhere "more discreet," the book claims.

I low how it's "More Discreet". Kate likely had no choice because Prince William is the future King, so is George, and all his kids are direct heirs of William.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:53 PM
Aristocracy

I agree with the Louis and Charlotte will be treated very differently. They will be far more active imo in their roles.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:57 PM
Heir Apparent

People thought the same of Harry too. Hard to speak of what will happen 20 years into the future but hopefully they have all leaned from that is happening now.

Closed Thread