Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Sarah's was a gift to her. Diana didn't I don't think. That was her families tiara. Margaret did she personally owned it. Sophie's was made for her and a gift and the Queens was a gift.

None of the loans ever reappeared.

Recently they have all been leant as gifts on the day.
Well to be honnest, Meghan and Eugénie didn't have the opportunity to wear a tiara again.
As fot Kate, the Halo Tiara was for some time part of a touring Cartier exhibition, so she had to find some alternatives.
Anyway it's a bit slim to draw generalizations about loaned wedding tiaras.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:23 PM
Administrator

We've digressed quite far from the issue of Meghan's wedding tiara, let's get back on the topic of the thread, which is about the book. We can discuss royal tiara's in the jewellery sub-forum. Thank you.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

No one should take anything most journalists say as 100% the truth, in most cases they have either put their own spin on it or the spin has been put on it by the person telling them the information. That said it makes me chuckle that sometimes Dan Wooten is a close friend of Jason Knauf and all his information comes form him and yet at the same time he is dismissed as knowing nothing. (I'm not his biggest fan tbh but I do think he is well connected)

I will wait and see to [ass judgment - if H&M denounce the book or start legal action I my believe they had nothing to do with it. Otherwise, sorry, for a couple who are ready to sue over anything the lack of comment is telling IMO and the lack of legal action or condemnation tells me this book is their side of events as they wanted told.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:16 PM
Courtier

Very interesting dynamic on this thread where when people question the assertion that the Sussexes did not contribute to this book, they are shot down because "Omid said so!!!!!!"

But when people believe something Dan Wootten says, they are shot down because "it's just Dan himself who said so."

Methinks this is not so much an objective evaluation of the trustworthiness of these reporters- Dan has been proven right time after time with his inside stories about this couple despite people on this board refusing to believe him- as shifting standards about what "straight from the horse's mouth" is worth based on what individual posters want to believe.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:38 PM
Royal Highness

Can someone please explain something to me ? If Omid is too believed he got most of his info from friends and staff, by extension then Megan and Harry were very vocal about personal things to their staff. Which also according to the press, Meghan was treating badly which would have provoke more incentive for them to talk to the press. Some of these staff members are currently working for other members of the royal family when the Sussex’s closed their offices. For people that are so concerned about their privacy and about information been leaked out of Clarence House _ why are they giving their life stories to staff?
I would think the Omid wishes to continue as Meghan’s blue eyes reporter, and considering that Harpers Bazaar is still phoning up Team Sussex as he calls it they are still happy with this book. This is the book that they wanted published, regardless of if they actively encouraged it or provided input. I don’t see how this book is going to help them _ I wonder if there is more to it then what has been published? How can they spin this for positive outcome?
Old 07-31-2020, 01:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I think they hope the book will help them in places like America where there is less knowledge about the monarchy and its workings so their views and "side" of the argument is given more weight.

Sorry but I have to believe, at present, H&M contributed in some way to the book- whether that was directly (though sit down interviews have been denied maybe emails, texts or even voice recording a la Diana and Morton) or by directly allowing or subtly indicating to friends that speaking out would be accepted by the couple.

The problem IMO is that the book doesn't do the many favours, I'm sure their most ardent "fans" will love it but otherwise for most it just makes everyone look bad but given it so clearly seems to be H&M's version of the truth it makes them look bitter. Its a sad sad situation.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
No one should take anything most journalists say as 100% the truth, in most cases they have either put their own spin on it or the spin has been put on it by the person telling them the information. That said it makes me chuckle that sometimes Dan Wooten is a close friend of Jason Knauf and all his information comes form him and yet at the same time he is dismissed as knowing nothing. (I'm not his biggest fan tbh but I do think he is well connected)

I will wait and see to [ass judgment - if H&M denounce the book or start legal action I my believe they had nothing to do with it. Otherwise, sorry, for a couple who are ready to sue over anything the lack of comment is telling IMO and the lack of legal action or condemnation tells me this book is their side of events as they wanted told.
IMHO you should have read the whole book and then talk to your lawyer about the points that you think are wrong and can be proven wrong and then, maybe, you sue.

It's definately difficult to do so because how to prove the truth is not in the book?? Or letting a court of justice decide what is the truth and what not?

In fact, as with all things Harry and Meghan, you believe it or not. It's definately not one of the few big, well researched biographies we have had about Charles or Diana, rather a "take of the moment"-piece, so I thionk it's not fair to base an opinion on that.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Can someone please explain something to me ? If Omid is too believed he got most of his info from friends and staff, by extension then Megan and Harry were very vocal about personal things to their staff. Which also according to the press, Meghan was treating badly which would have provoke more incentive for them to talk to the press. Some of these staff members are currently working for other members of the royal family when the Sussex’s closed their offices. For people that are so concerned about their privacy and about information been leaked out of Clarence House _ why are they giving their life stories to staff?
I would think the Omid wishes to continue as Meghan’s blue eyes reporter, and considering that Harpers Bazaar is still phoning up Team Sussex as he calls it they are still happy with this book. This is the book that they wanted published, regardless of if they actively encouraged it or provided input. I don’t see how this book is going to help them _ I wonder if there is more to it then what has been published? How can they spin this for positive outcome?
What do you mean by referencing Clarence House? How does Charles have anything to do with this?

I really doubt that Harry and Meghan opened up to staff; IF any staff contributed (and frankly I take anything Omid says with a huge shaker of salt), it's probably more along the lines of things they heard off-hand as opposed to directly from the horses' mouths.

This book is not going to help them. Omid and Durand may have intended one thing, but they're getting another. This book was supposed to be H and M's spin, lol.......that's the pathetic thing. You can not make a silk's purse from a sow's ear.

Tommy:

Quote:
I think they hope the book will help them in places like America where there is less knowledge about the monarchy and its workings so their views and "side" of the argument is given more weight.
Most of America doesn't really care about the Monarchy and couldn't care less about Harry and Meghan. Now, in the middle of a devastating pandemic that is ruining lives and livelihoods......in the middle of racial and police crises[......] Now they think the book will help them? I'm sure they will have their fans (those who love Harry because of Diana and love Meghan because of Harry; let's face it, M was not exactly a household name before she dated him)........but most of America doesn't give a fig about them, and if they do read the book, will probably end up rolling their eyes.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:26 PM
Majesty

[...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

If that is their goal, I agree it might actually work. For most people who follow the Royals and especially in the UK and other Commonwealth countries, I don't think the book helps H&M's cause. On the contrary, they come across as entitled, self-centered and not committed to the institution. However, the broader general audience in America who will read the book mght buy into Omid's narrative that the couple was a victim of Palace "vipers" and snobbish in-laws who despised Meghan based on class and race.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
[...]
If that is their goal, I agree it might actually work. For most people who follow the Royals and especially in the UK and other Commonwealth countries, I don't think the book helps H&M's cause. On the contrary, they come across as entitled, self-centered and not committed to the institution. However, the broader general audience in America who will read the book mght buy into Omid's narrative that the couple was a victim of Palace "vipers" and snobbish in-laws who despised Meghan based on class and race.
it does sound a bit like the plot of a new tv series doesn't it... it might indeed be more pallatable if you don't know this is about actual people..
Old 07-31-2020, 08:18 PM
Serene Highness

To me it's clear they had a strong hand in this book. They denounce and pursue legal action about virtually everything that is being published about their lives yet do not denounce this book fully and completely? All they say is they did not contribute? Ridiculous! Why aren't they outraged and suing like they are about everything other invasion of privacy? Their actions say so much about this and I am sure it will come out eventually.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

To follow that logic then they must of also contributed to Lady Campbell's book because they haven't denounced it or carried on about it either. Them not issuing a statement is not a indication they were involved.

LaRae
Old 07-31-2020, 08:24 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps, however as I am sure you are well aware Omid has close ties with the couple whereas Lady Campbell does not.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Close ties? That depends on what you mean by that. Regardless, their lack of 'denouncement' doesn't mean they had a thing to do with his and Carolyn's book. Omid has said 6 ways to Sunday they were not involved. He reiterated it again a couple days ago on Twitter. He's said it in interviews etc as well. You can feel free to ask him, he responds often on his Twitter account.

LaRae
Old 07-31-2020, 08:35 PM
Serene Highness

Their lack of denouncement can mean anything. I'm sure he has signed a non-disclosure agreement lol! Anyways, I'm free to state my opinion.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

If you think he's a liar and Carolyn is a liar that's up to you. Not a thing was said about you not being free to say what you think. I just pointed out what's been said and that you can easily pop over to Twitter and actually ask him or read his previous replies about it.

LaRae
Old 07-31-2020, 08:45 PM
Majesty

Nobody here has read this book yet as it hasn't been released. All we've had have been snippets and excerpts chosen for an audience of newspaper readers.

To claim that what we've seen so far is all the authors have to say on the subject is IMO like claiming you've solved a jigsaw puzzle when half the pieces are missing.

I'm from the Commonwealth and have it on pre-order with Amazon Aus. And incidentally, the last time I looked this book was number One on Amazon UK (prerelease) so some Brits must be interested in reading the whole instead of micro-dissecting tit-bits and deciding that the subjects of the book are 'guilty as charged'!
Old 07-31-2020, 08:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

I haven't listened to Omid's podcast in a while but the most recent one he talked about the book the last 10 min of the show. He pointed out at least twice that some media are stating things that the book says, but that it doesn't say what they are claiming.

LaRae
Old 07-31-2020, 10:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Today’s “Finding Freedom” revelation.

The Sussex couple actually got engaged in 2017 earlier than first thought.

The Prince “popped the question” in August of that year.

The future Duchess’ wearing of the oversized white “Husband” shirt at their appearance together at the Invictus Games in Toronto was a signal apparently.

All these winks to the media ,and the watching public, in the early days of their relationship - jewellery, hugging bananas, dog sweaters, “Kiss Me” candy.

Maybe you had to be in the inner circle of friends, and these signals were more for them.

And something actually positive from the book - the Duchess adored little Princess Charlotte and this won her mother over.

“Finding Freedom” is also saying the Sussexes spent a lot of time - when everyone was living at KP - with the Cambridge’s. They very much took to all three of the little children.

No - I remember when the media came out with they were together because Meghan was sending signals. Harry's bracelet that she copied, the ridiculous spooning bananas and the H&M necklace among other broad hints. It was obvious she was trying to out the relationship early and she did. She may have regretted it later but at the time she seemed to want people to know they were an item. And this was before they announced they were an item.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:22 PM
Aristocracy

I agree that the fact that H and M haven't denounced the book or sued means nothing.

What does mean something is the apparent (reported) level of inside information in the book. People talked. Palace insiders probably talked. Close friends certainly talked. Either Meghan and Harry's friends aren't that trustworthy, or Meghan and Harry gave permission for them to talk.

I always add at the end of these posts--in my opinion much of the tabloid press treated Meghan unfairly, and much of the coverage was racist and classist. Both H and M could have dealt with it if they wanted to, even if the "palace" advised them to ignore it. H and M are adults.

Anyway you look at it, this kind of book will probably do them few favours; it appears to show them as all too willing to adopt victim personae.

Closed Thread