Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 06:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
This book is making everybody look bad. The Queen SLAPPED DOWN Meghan? This makes the queen look petty and dispatched her dresser as a minion to do the dirty work. This is DM hyperbole for clicks. It's driving sales. I want to see how it's really worded in the book because it's not credited as an excerpt from the Times.

Katie McNicoll stated the book is the sanitized version of events.
Well actually I think if the Queen questioned the veil it just shows her age really. I mean she is 94. Of course her staff did the work for her. Do you think she rang up the royal jewellers herself to arrange it? Meghan has talked about going in to see the ones, on offer, with the Queen. Obviously what happened then is that Meghan wanted another one and she was set right. But I can't see that bring done in anything but English politeness. They probably blame Angela becuase she was responsible for arranging the ones to be brought and she didn't bring the right one. But Angela would have made a decision based on what the Queen said and probably she had seen the dress pattern too and decided based on that. I mean the tiara was exquisite and matched the outfit amazingly. I cannot imagine another one. All of their tiaras have been perfect for the dresses and veils. Angela knows her job.

Who is katie McNicoll?

Old 07-29-2020, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed. From what I recall from viewing years of royal wedding unless the bride has her own family tiara (ie Lady Diana Spencer, Stephanie Lanoy) then the fiance is likely borrowing one from her future in-laws who do have a say in which ones would be available.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Well actually I think if the Queen questioned the veil it just shows her age really. I mean she is 94. Of course her staff did the work for her. Do you think she rang up the royal jewellers herself to arrange it? Meghan has talked about going in to see the ones, on offer, with the Queen. Obviously what happened then is that Meghan wanted another one and she was set right. But I can't see that bring done in anything but English politeness. They probably blame Angela becuase she was responsible for arranging the ones to be brought and she didn't bring the right one. But Angela would have made a decision based on what the Queen said and probably she had seen the dress pattern too and decided based on that. I mean the tiara was exquisite and matched the outfit amazingly. I cannot imagine another one. All of their tiaras have been perfect for the dresses and veils. Angela knows her job.

Who is katie McNicoll?
Is possible that the Queen knew Eugenie wanted to wear the emerald one?
Old 07-29-2020, 07:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Agreed. From what I recall from viewing years of royal wedding unless the bride has her own family tiara (ie Lady Diana Spencer, Stephanie Lanoy) then the fiance is likely borrowing one from her future in-laws who do have a say in which ones would be available.
They are all borrowing. The Queen has leant four in recent years. To Kate, Meghan, Beatrice and Eugenie. Zara and Autumn from the Princess Royal.

All have been amazing and all were chosen with the dresses, veils and brides in mine. Meghan is the only one to moan and I think hers was extradinary but she obviously went looking online at tiaras and didn't get offered the one she wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
Is possible that the Queen knew Eugenie wanted to wear the emerald one?
Maybe...at that stage likely. But even then if that tiara was on long term loan to Kate for example, Eugenie couldn't have had it. The Queen loves her grandchildren and it is absolutely right that Eugenie would take precedence in a tug for the tiara.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:14 PM
Courtier

If there was a mix up with a tiara of unknown provenance brought up when it shouldn't have been or Meghan having seen one online or in a collection book that turned out to be unknown then that's unfortunate but wise. Can you imagine the row that would have broken out if it had turned out to have made its way to the vaults under murky conditions or of outright unethical or illegal origins? That could have caused an international incident or conspiracy. Or even just another story coming out about Queen Mary "admiring" it on someone else decades ago and the family recounting it could have been embarrassing if it wasn't one ever seen before.

Regarding Angela Kelly dragging her feet, well that's just the worst possible interpretation rather than anything else. She has 1001 things to do I'm sure.

There's also the possibility that Eugenie's preference for an emerald tiara were already known and hers took priority as a granddaughter.

At the end of the day they are the Queen's personal tiaras to lend as she sees fit so it seems incredibly petty to be so "OMG! I didn't get the one I really wanted! Everyone was against me!" Where her diamond slippers too tight as well? And the one Meghan actually wore suited her perfectly and fit very well as a "beginner tiara" with long royal association. Which is why I was so skeptical of these stories last Summer. It seemed silly to think it mattered so much.

As for the veil I guess that's just the Queen thinking in her day divorced people didn't do the white dress and virginal veil. But it seems to have been more of a passing remark than a shaming statement or order.
Heir Apparent

If Eugenie wanted the tiara wouldn't this have been the reason given (assuming any of these stories are true) to Meghan and Harry? More likely IMO there is an unseen tiara (the reports suggest emerald) in the vaults which has come into royal possession via means unknown or means that the RF and Palace would not like to be made public, maybe it was a gift from a no longer PC world leader e.g. Saudi Arabia or simply no one is 100% sure. The Palace wouldn't want a tiara with unknown or slightly less than perfect provenance making such a big appearance. It could well be that the provenance issues only came about after Meghan expressed an interest which is regrettable but understandable IMO.

What gets me is that in any of this let's not forget on thing - HM was lending Meghan a tiara from her own collection for Meghan to wear as a favour, so even if Angela Kelly was dragging her feet quite frankly (probably for good reason - better to be safe than sorry) its still not polite to go about saying anything or demanding anything. You are being lent a priceless heirloom so to me its only polite to just sit back and wait to be given the tiara at whatever pace that takes. The People article even says:

Scobie and Durand write that Harry felt Kelly was dragging her feet in helping Meghan obtain access to her chosen tiara for a hair trial in advance of the big day on May 19, 2018.

If its taking too long for your liking you can always go your own route - flowers in the hair, Harry could dip into his own fortune, go without completely. The "obtain access to her chosen tiara" sits really uncomfortably with me and I hope thats just People's awkward way of writing because if its in the book like that and IF that is how Meghan's friends who may have spoken to the authors see the issue it shows a clear lack in understanding what was happening. The Queen was lending Meghan a tiara to wear for her big day - to be honest its good of HM to give them a choice and not just say its this one or find your own. It just seems like bad manners to me as if its her right to wear HM's tiara not a gift.
Heir Apparent

People Magazine changed their article. I guess they misquoted the book and corrected whatever was written.

Not that the Daily Mail will also update...
Old 07-29-2020, 07:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Harry said in an interview months ago that the situation with the tiara was not true.

LaRae
Old 07-29-2020, 07:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
People Magazine changed their article. I guess they misquoted the book and corrected whatever was written.

Not that the Daily Mail will also update...
What are they saying then?
Old 07-29-2020, 07:21 PM
Gentry

https://people.com/royals/the-truth-...lizabeth-role/

The Truth About Meghan Markle's Wedding Tiara and Queen Elizabeth's Role
Old 07-29-2020, 07:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Scobie did state that the Sussexes did not talk to him for the book, either on or off-record.

But as other forum members have pointed out, we don't know if they allowed their friends to talk.

Omid said again today on Twitter that the Sussexes did not talk to him or give him interviews etc.

LaRae
Old 07-29-2020, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Everyone had their version including the writers.

https://twitter.com/scobie/status/12...219601408?s=21

Anyways we heard Harry and Meghan in their own words talk about the wedding attire.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Omid said again today on Twitter that the Sussexes did not talk to him or give him interviews etc.

LaRae
Diana didn't talk to Andrew Morten either. I mean she didn't. She never met him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
https://people.com/royals/the-truth-...lizabeth-role/

The Truth About Meghan Markle's Wedding Tiara and Queen Elizabeth's Role
Lovely. Well ai am glad about that becuase it made her look really bad. But why moan about this. It's a bit ridiculous. They would have made sure she had it for a trial. It isn't their first rodeo. I mean the got a Kate married too.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

https://twitter.com/scobie/status/12...219601408?s=20

Omid about this issue

Quote:
Diana didn't talk to Andrew Morten either. I mean she didn't. She never met him.

Lovely. Well ai am glad about that becuase it made her look really bad. But why moan about this. It's a bit ridiculous. They would have made sure she had it for a trial. It isn't their first rodeo. I mean the got a Kate married too.
First off he's done everything but swear a blood oath they had nothing to do with the book. No in any way shape or form. You can talk to him on Twitter..he does reply.

Also about the dress etc

Old 07-29-2020, 07:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
First off he's done everything but swear a blood oath they had nothing to do with the book. No in any way shape or form. You can talk to him on Twitter..he does reply.

Also about the dress etc

He said they didn't interview or discuss it. I don't think he is lying but there are other ways.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
He said they didn't interview or discuss it. I don't think he is lying but there are other ways.
Yes and you are choosing to think he is lying based on no evidence or anything to support it.

LaRae
Old 07-29-2020, 07:57 PM
Courtier

Unless they're literally writing fanfiction about Harry and Meghan's first dates, meetings with the Queen and how they felt during all those times then some of the content has to come from them somehow, even if he's absolutely telling "nothing but the truth" that doesn't actually preclude a Diana type arrangement and ways to communicate have grown exponentially since then. They've certainly proved they have no problem with the "friends telling all" approved scenario in general. And this goes for all royals when stories are leaked, not just H&M.

And if they are writing fantasy/sci fi then why aren't Harry and Meghan starting legal proceedings against them?
Old 07-29-2020, 08:04 PM
Royal Highness

The "People" magazine excerpts article is being reported as being six pages and not the same as the UK.

Plenty more bombs yet to drop then.

I feel it is totally inappropriate to drag staff through this mud-pile of accusation.

They don't have the same power in this situation as family members who may, or may not, choose to give a different version to what "Finding Freedom" puts forth.

"People" also letting us know - from the book - what emoji Prince Harry used when he texted Meghan soon after she returned to her hotel after their first meeting.

Who is spilling these details?

Anyway, if you want to know, apparently the Duke was very fond of the ghost emoji at that time, and so the future Duchess got one.

Same source quoting "People", who are quoting "Finding Freedom" says Ms Markle was phoned by a Kensington Palace aide while in Toronto during the early days of the relationship to "stop encouring interest".

Meghan had posted a photo on her Instagram of a necklace with "H & M" and doggy Guy dressed in a Union Jack sweater.

Apparently this was a signal for Prince Harry to get to Canada.

And apparently - according to "Finding Freedom" - he did. Within 24 hours.

Still can't post links, but all the above coming from "Lainey Gossip" who must have got a copy of the magazine.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes and you are choosing to think he is lying based on no evidence or anything to support it.

LaRae
I said he wasn't. But there are other ways.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

The same reason they haven’t sued any authors of books or articles. They have sued over paparazzi pictures of Archie and copyright. That’s it.

Heck didn’t people write books going on about Kate and William with “personal details” which based on their own words isn’t exactly hard to imagine and write a story. Why not with the Sussexes too! Harry says “I was beautifully surprised” in the engagement interview and that turns into “She was beautiful” in the book.

I mean we could write that.

It’s like these writers (and media in general) don’t get a small detail and exaggerate stories. They do it all the time. They have stuff to sell.

Closed Thread