The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 04:47 PM
Serene Highness

The book was planned for earlier in thisbuesr. According to Emily Andrew's who knows Omid. It got pushed back with all the rest that kicked off.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I admit that going to the media is probably one of the worst things that Harry could have done - which is why Harry did it (unfortunately), but William has been Harry's protector all their lives. I think he often dealt with the upheaval of the divorce and Diana's death by directing his love to and taking care of, Harry. William obviously felt that Harry needed him because Harry was younger and more vulnerable - and it is easier to forgive someone you perceive as more vulnerable.
That may be true but this role also gets very tiring if you still have to babysit your adult brother in his mid 30s while you have to parent your actual children .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
probably its through intermediaries..
Omids thing is that he is a supporter of the Sussexes.. If he writes a book on them it is a sympathetic work and is meant to show their POV. and it does gibe with what they themselves have said.. Harry being resentful that he "had to go" from royal life.. Meg feeling the Palace did not protect her, Harry feeling that Will was being snobbish about Meghan...

It shows their POV , it just that Harry and Meghan have developed a siege mentality of "us against the evil world" and filter everything through that mindset . And they both are into feelings as facts . They feel mistreated , so they've been mistreated .

Old 07-29-2020, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
However, in Robert Jobson's biography of Charles, which is where this tiara row story originated, Meghan was refused an emerald tiara because it had an unknown provenance which the Press might have seized on.

That does not apply to the tiara Eugenie wore, which was originally Russian from the Imperial Family and was part of the Greville bequest to the QM. Whereas, if there was an emerald tiara in the vaults which had a doubtful history, it wouldn't have been regarded as suitable from the beginning and wouldn't have been offered.

However, we don't know how much of Jobson's story is the truth, as it would have been extremely peculiar for Angela Kelly to have offered, on the Queen's behalf, (a) a tiara earmarked for a favourite engaged granddaughter of HM, or (b) something dodgy that hadn't been worn for decades, with a debatable provenance.
She probably did her research and wanted an emerald one. They said no. These are the ones available.

At any one time the tiaras available.will be different. Depending what is on loan and being worn by others.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

ETA: I was wrong. The interviewer did ask a question about off-the-record talks (which Scobie answered by saying there were no off-the-record interviews), followed by another about off-the-record discussions (to which Scobie answered "no"), so a distinction between the two words was made.

@Somebody is correct, Scobie did not state there were no off-the-record talks. I apologize for my mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
He does NOT say that he didn't talk to them off-the record. There was no off-the-record discussion; not sure what the difference is - but apparently, to him it makes a difference.
How do you know talk and discussion make a difference to Scobie? It's not a distinction many others make. For example, in the United States when we say "discussion" we mean "to talk about a specific topic." If you didn't have a discussion about it, you didn't talk about it.

I should also point out that the interviewer didn't follow up by asking if there had been any off-the-record talks.

Quote:
If he had felt comfortable saying that he didn't talk to them, he would have said so but he didn't.
No, you can't assume that. He may have believed he addressed that when asked if there had been any off-the-record discussions.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
How do you know talk and discussion make a difference to Scobie? It's not a distinction many others make. For example, in the United States when we say "discussion" we mean "to talk about a specific topic." If you didn't have a discussion about it, you didn't talk about it.

I should also point out that the interviewer didn't follow up by asking if there had been any off-the-record talks.

No, you can't assume that. He may have believed he addressed that when asked if there had been any off-the-record discussions.
I think this is a matter of semantics and what he did say.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:58 PM
Royal Highness

Maybe the US is getting different excerpts from “Finding Freedom” to those already released by “The Times/The Sunday Times” - via People magazine.

There are snippets from the book about the wedding tiara drama from now coming out in the UK media from the magazine.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Maybe the US is getting different excerpts from “Finding Freedom” - via People magazine.

There are snippets from the book about the wedding tiara drama from the book now coming out in the UK media from the magazine.
Thee tiara drama. I seriously thought that was made up to be mean. It seemed so stupid and mean spirited.against her.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Thee tiara drama. I seriously thought that was made up to be mean. It seemed so stupid and mean spirited.against her.

The Queen’s dresser Angela Kelly gets to be today’s bad guy.

Ms Kelly “deliberately dragged her feet” in assisting the bride you know.

Can’t link the articles, I’m on the wrong tablet here at the moment.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:10 PM
Gentry

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-reveals.html

Queen DID slap down Meghan Markle over her choice of wedding day tiara but duchess blames Her Majesty's dresser Angela Kelly for the bust-up, book reveals
Old 07-29-2020, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The Queen’s dresser Angela Kelly gets to be today’s bad guy.

Can’t link the articles, I’m on the wrong tablet here at the moment.
I read it. Dragging her feet. Makes no sense. How would that affect anything. They really do come across as a nightmare. But the thing is book seems to mention over and over again how people at the palace thought that. As if that was why they didn't get their way.

I mean I may have to read this book and I already have a list a mile long after an excited binge after my first trip to a bookshop today.

I actually feel bad for them. When all is said and done, I do not want to see a Diana situation and any bad come to them but they are the exact opposite of emotional health.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-reveals.html

Queen DID slap down Meghan Markle over her choice of wedding day tiara but duchess blames Her Majesty's dresser Angela Kelly for the bust-up, book reveals
Thanks for posting nightsky.

Poor Angela.

Another employee, just a working person doing their job, being dragged under in this tsunami of complaint.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:17 PM
Majesty

Id rather wait and see what the book actually says, when it is published, rather than what the Fail states that it says, about this and a ton of other stories.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Thanks for posting nightsky.

Poor Angela.

Another employee, just a working person doing their job, being dragged under in this tsunami of complaint.
As if Angela would drag her feet. Not at all the reputation of the lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Id rather wait and see what the book actually says, when it is published, rather than what the Fail states that it says, about this and a ton of other stories.
This is People magazine reporting this.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I read it. Dragging her feet. Makes no sense. How would that affect anything. They really do come across as a nightmare. But the thing is book seems to mention over and over again how people at the palace thought that. As if that was why they didn't get their way.

I mean I may have to read this book and I already have a list a mile long after an excited binge after my first trip to a bookshop today.

I actually feel bad for them. When all is said and done, I do not want to see a Diana situation and any bad come to them but they are the exact opposite of emotional health.

I have to agree with all your points poppy7.

No winners here.

And what else is still to come forth, not only with this book but also with the court case.

Quote:
As if Angela would drag her feet. Not at all the reputation of the lady.
Another arrow for Her Majesty to bear.

Quote:
This is People magazine reporting this.
Yes poppy7 - UK media are quoting “Finding Freedom” from the American excerpts in People magazine that have just come out.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:26 PM
Royal Highness

This book is making everybody look bad. The Queen SLAPPED DOWN Meghan? This makes the queen look petty and dispatched her dresser as a minion to do the dirty work. This is DM hyperbole for clicks. It's driving sales. I want to see how it's really worded in the book because it's not credited as an excerpt from the Times.

Katie McNicoll stated the book is the sanitized version of events.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post

You don't need to follow up with a question if you just asked exactly that same question... (the one I highlighted in my previous post).

After questions on whether he 'said down with them' OR 'had interviews', he was asked:
Was there, perhaps, an off-the-record talk?

Which he answered with:
“You’ve read the book. There’s no on-the-record interviews with the couple.”

So, he did NOT deny they talked but just with the 'sit-down' or 'interviews' only stated that he had no 'on-the-record interview', so apparently they did talk, or he could have easily denied it.

They followed up with:
Was there an off-the-record discussion with them?

At that point he said: “No, and I think that you can tell from the reporting, my time around the couple is enough for me to know my subjects.”
Old 07-29-2020, 05:37 PM
Serene Highness

If the story about a dispute over a tiara's true, it can only come from Meghan. I can't imagine for one second that Angela Kelly's been blabbing about it, and I'm most certainly sure that the Queen hasn't.

It's not just the Mail. The same story's in other papers.

This is ridiculous. Next we'll be hearing that there was a big falling out because the Queen wanted chocolate digestives with a cup of tea but Harry and Meghan wanted custard creams, and that it was all the fault of the person who put the kettle on. Have they gone into every little petty story?
Old 07-29-2020, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
But they don't live in England anymore - they can't even be bothered to go to Balmoral to see the queen. So why should they care if the country they continue to criticize thinks poorly of them? Find a country they do like and make a living there. Stop depending on the British taxpayers about whom they have nothing positive to say.
... that wasn't the point of my original post - I was responding to a poster who had suggested that Meghan and Harry could have just "ignored" the British media. Nothing to do with their relevance to the country now.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-29-2020, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She probably did her research and wanted an emerald one. They said no. These are the ones available.

At any one time the tiaras available.will be different. Depending what is on loan and being worn by others.

Until Eugenie, British royal brides didn't wear colored stones. So maybe the emerald tiara wasn't offered for that reason?
Old 07-29-2020, 05:46 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
This book is making everybody look bad. The Queen SLAPPED DOWN Meghan? This makes the queen look petty and dispatched her dresser as a minion to do the dirty work. This is DM hyperbole for clicks. It's driving sales. I want to see how it's really worded in the book because it's not credited as an excerpt from the Times.
The are the Queens tiaras. She gets a major say on who wear which one.

Closed Thread