Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said before I wonder if the book offers any or much concerning its subtitle" making a modern royal family". I doubt the two authors are capable to imagine and write about auch a topic, this requests a lot of knowledge beginning with deep knowledge of history..... and their sources do not know better.
but like so many other things ever since H&M are playing along they might have believed two little journalists could do that, unrealistic as its best like always.

Why does it require a "deep knowledge of history"? Its really a puff piece, claiming that Meg and Harry are 2 free spirits who have escaped from the confines of royal tradition and the stuffy royal family (where they were not well treated) and that they are now going to make a new more modern royal couple in America...

Is there anyone who actually believes this information did not come from Meghan, Harry or someone they fed this information to? I have a feeling it's Doria and it's someone Meghan would vent everything to. Omid is a good friend of Meghan, if anyone else wrote this book who wants to bet they'd sue them.

Why does it require a "deep knowledge of history"? Its really a puff piece, claiming that Meg and Harry are 2 free spirits who have escaped from the confines of royal tradition and the stuffy royal family (where they were not well treated) and that they are now going to make a new more modern royal couple in America...

Sorry, this is a matter if interpretation of course, as those two are not that bright you might be right , I understand much more behind such words.

Sorry, this is a matter if interpretation of course, as those two are not that bright you might be right , I understand much more behind such words.

Not sure what you mean. Most royal biographies are relatively light works at least till the royal reaches a certain stage of life.. Charles' had a fairly heavy bio by Dimbleby, which was mainly about his Trust and his job.. (though most people read it for the marital bits)...
Harry and Meg want to be seen as a fresh new kind of royal couple who have given up being immured in a castle with all these old fashioned restrictions. And that's what this book will probably portray...
and a lot of their claims to being "brave new style royals" are backed up by stories of how "Will was a a snob about Meg" and "the queen's dresser didn't produce jewelry for Meg quicrk enough..." and the like.. so that proves taht the Palace staff are stuffy old bores and William is a snob...
I doubt if Harry is going to pass on a chunk of quotes from Das Kapital, as a critique of the RF and monarchy.. Their mantra is "Royal family old and boring, us new adn young and relevant..."

Last edited:
I don't know of any evidence that harry was a "liberal thinker" before Meg came along. Maybe im mistaken but didn't he say to T Markle to give Donald Trump a chance as President? and as a member of the RF, he would not have spoken about anything political anyway...

Telling Markle to give Trump a chance doesn't prove Harry wasn't left leaning. It means he was open to being reasonable and fair.

He was friends with Barack and Michelle Obama before he met Meghan. He was demonstrating environmental concerns and an interest in Africa and the developing world before he met Meghan, for example.

Last edited:
Telling Markle to give Trump a chance doesn't prove Harry wasn't left leaning. It means he was open to being reasonable and fair.

He was friends with Barack and Michelle Obama before he met Meghan. He was demonstrating environmental concerns and interest in Africa and the developing world before he met Meghan, for example.

Fair to Trump? No liberal would say that!! (I'm much more conservative and I think eh's a disaster). And wasn't Meg one of those who claimed that she'd leave the US if Trump became president?

Is there anyone who actually believes this information did not come from Meghan, Harry or someone they fed this information to? I have a feeling it's Doria and it's someone Meghan would vent everything to. Omid is a good friend of Meghan, if anyone else wrote this book who wants to bet they'd sue them.

Even most of the press on Harry and Meghan's "Good List" like Camilla Long from the Sunday Times aren't pretending that they think the sources are anything other than Harry and Meghan or those extremely close to them as intermediaries. Even as they also point out how petty and trivial most of it seems.

DenvilIe I consider myself slightly left of center politically. I called out sick for work the day Trump was elected and cried myself to exhaustion because i had an inkling he would be a catastrophe.

BUT. .my almost Bolshie youngest sister lectured me about judging him without giving Trump a chance.

The idea that liberals do not believe in fairness is as untrue as the belief that right wingers ALWAYS give the opposition a chance.

I can see Harry playing Devils Advocate for Donald Trump with Markle.

Even most of the press on Harry and Meghan's "Good List" like Camilla Long from the Sunday Times aren't pretending that they think the sources are anything other than Harry and Meghan or those extremely close to them as intermediaries. Even as they also point out how petty and trivial most of it seems.

where did all these Camillas come from?

Camilla Long on the "Good List" -- that's comical.

Camilla Long on the "Good List" -- that's comical.

I meant the Times and the Sunday Times rather than the actual journalists themselves. My point is no one is believing that they had nothing to do with it.

I meant the Times and the Sunday Times rather than the actual journalists themselves. My point is no one is believing that they had nothing to do with it.

It seems there are a few people who dont... I am agnostic They may nto have had a hand in it but I think they hoped it would put out their POV and shine a light on them for the American Market.

But it's kind of sad Kate & Meghan couldn't get along. I wonder if Meghan has any relationship with like Eugenie, Beatrice, or any of the other younger women in the Royal Family.

It seems there are a few people who dont... I am agnostic They may nto have had a hand in it but I think they hoped it would put out their POV and shine a light on them for the American Market.

Yes I have seen a few people who actually believe it. The information is just too private and if they did not have a hand in it - why aren't they going to sue?

If Royals sued over every book that was written about them, they'd do nothing else.
I dont think that Meg has a relationship with any of younger royals.. I think that Harry wildly exaggerated how much she had "met all the royals and they all loved her" before they were officially engaged.

If Royals sued over every book that was written about them, they'd do nothing else.
I dont think that Meg has a relationship with any of younger royals.. I think that Harry wildly exaggerated how much she had "met all the royals and they all loved her" before they were officially engaged.

I agree with this. Just meeting someone for the first time as a relative's "significant other" is filled with pleasantries and "howdoyoudos" and exchanging small talk. Its not a basis to make a statement that they're all cozy and BFFs. The only ones I think that really instantly took to Meghan (from reports published) are the Queen's corgis.

At this point in time, it doesn't matter to me at all if H&M cooperated with the book or they didn't. From reading what has been posted here, the book is filled with a rehash of all kinds of speculations and rumors and different interpretations of events that supposedly happened. For me, there's no relevance whatsoever to what H&M plan to do going into the future or if they're permanently staying in LA or using Frogmore half time or anything that really tells me a viable plan going forward. I don't care actually what the internal relationships are within the family or who snubbed who or who caused who to cry buckets. For me, what is done, is done. Rewriting and explaining things that may or may not have happened doesn't change anything at all. They're still out. They're still on their own. I wonder most what they would be doing now should the pandemic never have happened.

But that's just me. ?

I dont think they are really all that concerned about in itself. I mean I don't think they burn with indignation at the thought that its a monarchy and therefore not egalitarian.. or that it has all these old fashioned rituals that they think of as "out of touch..."
but they care about how it impinges on THEIR lives. I think that there is a bit of simmering resentment in Harry that because he was born 2 years later, HE wont ever be King or POW..
I don't think that Harry ever really took much interest in politics till he got Meghan. He would hardly have been saying stuff like "Give old Trump a chance" if he were a card carrying liberal...

And I think that Harry and Meg also resent the convention that senior royals can't engage in business, because that put paid to their plans to do exactly this. But I don't think that either of them really is concerned about the inherent conservatism of monarchy...

I disagree, especially with Meghan. From even when she was a little girl, she was acutely aware of inequality and actually persuaded a retail giant to change their commercials. That is not a bad thing in and of itself, but it IS when she chooses to get involved with the son of the future King. I do stand by my previous comments, although I will admit that in this regard, I think Harry likely just follows his wife.

No and Eugenie would have been obvious as she was a neighbour and close to Harry. But that seems a no. And obviously if the announcing of the pregnancy on the wedding day is to be believed. Well I wouldn't bother with someone after that. Just because you marry into a family doesn't mean you have to be anything but civil. It helps on this family because they take over your life. And I am sure they were friendly enough. Kate doesn't have to ask her to go shopping with her. She could well have been meeting some else or just wanted alone time for example.

I agree that Harry may have exaggerated how much his cousins liked Meghan. They love him and were very much invested in seeing him happy and settled at last. So my belief is that they were willing to welcome her for his sake.

However, it was reported that the PoW did develop genuine affection for Meghan and i believe that 100%. Which is why the idea that the Sussexes felt inadequate support from Clarence House confuses me.

What was the expectation from Harry and Meghan?

An America that has never wanted Royalty....at least not post- Revolution

I agree that Harry may have exaggerated how much his cousins liked Meghan. They love him and were very much invested in seeing him happy and settled at last. So my belief is that they were willing to welcome her for his sake.

However, it was reported that the PoW did develop genuine affection for Meghan and i believe that 100%. Which is why the idea that the Sussexes felt inadequate support from Clarence House confuses me.

We saw it on the screen - not only did Charles walk her down the aisle, but he was very warm towards Doria...

I think they expected the BRF to go to war with the media over their treatment of Meghan.....expectations that were always unfair and unrealistic. The problem is that both H and M care way too much what people think; they read articles about themselves as well as comments on social media. For anyone in the public spotlight, that’s a bad idea.

We saw it on the screen - not only did Charles walk her down the aisle, but he was very warm towards Doria...

I think they expected the BRF to go to war with the media over their treatment of Meghan.....expectations that were always unfair and unrealistic. The problem is that both H and M care way too much what people think; they read articles about themselves as well as comments on social media. For anyone in the public spotlight, that’s a bad idea.

It is hideous. For not only famous people but anyone who works with the public. Meghan was too low key before. Not big enough to have anyone interested enough to criticise her. So she did what she wanted. Had TIG hoe she wanted. No one cared
When they put up about hand washing on Sussexroyal people practically ate them.

She just wanted adoration without scrutiny. Which to be honest he wants too. But also that isnt the career of an successful actress anyway because they always have reviews. But she hadn't even had that.

There did appear to be genuine affection on the part of both Charles and Meghan, although obviously a picture doesn't tell the whole story. Supporting her when her father was causing chaos was lovely. And the Queen also took her on a joint engagement early on and gave them both important jobs with an international outlook and there's been nothing particularly concrete in this book about why it crumbled beyond the petty and trivial even from people who say they've read the whole thing. That's partly what's confusing to me. Lightweight has many royal "tell alls" are I expected a bit more. Especially about the sudden announcement of it all.

Eugenie liked all the official "Happy Birthday" posts on Instagram but did not post anything publicly herself.

I don't necessarily expect them to sue over this just as I don't expect William and Kate to but I'd also expect a bit more of a reaction from these two if "Meghan in the bath" and "Harry and the Queen" had been completely made up. The former especially is too detailed and intimate to be anything other than from the source or fanfiction and if it's the latter then it's weird coming from one of their known biggest supporters in the press.

Yes, it seems there are several posters on here that believe that the information did not come from Meghan and Harry because Omid has said so. I guess in their world no one tells lies.

Yes, it seems there are several posters on here that believe that the information did not come from Meghan and Harry because Omid has said so. I guess in their world no one tells lies.

It's not just Omid there is a co-author, Carolyn, who from all accounts I've read is fairly well respected. Frankly no I don't go around assuming (without any past history or behavior indicating otherwise) someone lies when they say XYZ.

The other side of the coin is that there are many here who are almost gleeful in their decision to post the worst theories of The Sussexes. I don't understand it myself.

LaRae

It is hideous. For not only famous people but anyone who works with the public. Meghan was too low key before. Not big enough to have anyone interested enough to criticise her. So she did what she wanted. Had TIG hoe she wanted. No one cared
When they put up about hand washing on Sussexroyal people practically ate them.

She just wanted adoration without scrutiny. Which to be honest he wants too. But also that isnt the career of an successful actress anyway because they always have reviews. But she hadn't even had that.

This is all true...Like you said, who ever was criticizing her ? She was pretty much unknown...a mediocre actress on a not popular show. I can’t imagine she was talked or written about then, so I doubt she was paranoid about that sort of thing...although I do believe she craved that kind of attention.

I don’t know why Harry cares so much...maybe because Meghan does. In any case, if they didn’t care, if they just did their thing, they wouldn’t have such silly and unrealistic expectations of the BRF feuding with the media. How does he not understand this?

Even if they had nothing to do with it, I agree that they probably hoped it was from a favourable journalist and it would give a picture of them as two free spirits ready to lead a new life in the US and shaking off the shackles of the old fashioned UK Monarchy...
but it seems that they come across as silly, throwing fits about trivial things...

The answer is target markets.

The book is intended for the American audience, because that is where H&M want to build their “brand”. They come across as spoiled and petulant in the articles about the book in the UK media- I’m not sure it will play out that way in the US. They might come off as victims of the BRF and establishment, which will garner them the sympathy and help brand building— the whole point in broadcasting their side of the story.

We have no idea if Meghan is close to any of them but I have seen images of Eugenie and Beatrice hanging out with Misha and Benita (who are very close to Meghan). I also didn't Edo arrive with Harry and Meghan at Misha's wedding? So I wouldn't be surprised if they were friendlier to her than some think. But not that we would know either way unless we see them pop up in LA at some point post Covid.

Last edited:
The other side of the coin is that there are many here who are almost gleeful in their decision to post the worst theories of The Sussexes. I don't understand it myself.

LaRae

But you are so gleeful to rebuke them, so i guess it's well balanced :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom