The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 08:48 PM
Nobility

Very many pages of comments here, but a couple that have stuck out to me:

On the notion that you can't wipe the stench away from the Cambridges with these excerpts, oh my, that could not be further from the truth in my perception. To the contrary, how soon does the world forget that Catherine was the subject of constant media criticism from her freshmen year of university, such that there was an active thread on this very forum for years speculating that she was surely the victim of a hate-filled, spiteful, targeted bullying campaign by the media (sound familiar?). Now one can practically smell the roses emitting from her in every picture, and with every new word that is released, if she wore her feelings on her face at the Commonwealth Service or went shopping without inviting Meghan, I can practically hear everyone around me with their copy of the Times going, "Who could blame her??"

As far as the cooperation for this book, either (1) essentially everything in it is false, or (2) sources very close to the Sussexes, closer than almost anyone in their lives (to have been told these details only they could have known) cooperated. If (2), people can decide for themselves whether this couple's closest confidantes did so without permission, the ultimate betrayal for a couple so desperate for privacy in their personal lives.

Or, the lesson of the People interview episode may be that it is no sin for this couple's friends to give out, without permission, the most intimate details of their daily lives, domestic habits, and private writings. As long as they tell the story the right way.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:23 PM
Royal Highness

@Queen Claude - FF is Finding Freedom; BM is British Media.

And yes Dad and Sam got paid for Pap gate; 30% of the papparrazzo's payout.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/meghan...d-by-the-media

Allegedly the pap got 100000.00 for those staged photos so Sr and Sam split over 30000.00. I wonder if the IRS knows.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
That DM article is weird. They try to bait with this big "Harry thinks Dad cared more about public relations than him".......and, unless I'm missing something, the only thing that article describes is Harry being all bent out of shape because he's not as high as his brother on the pecking order.

Charles didn't take a hit as far as I'm concerned, though sadly I'm sure he will be hurt.

There was another DM article quoting a different excerpt from the book where it is claimed that Charles was "crushed" when Harry confirmed Meghan was his girlfriend because the announcement coincided with and overshadowed Charles' Middle East tour.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml#newcomment
Old 07-26-2020, 10:39 PM
Royal Highness

Wow, that's some classy joint the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had their blind date/first date together in.

Soho Houses's Dean Street Townhouse.

Thanks for the heads up on the wallpaper there Mr Scobie/Ms Durand.

I was feeling that "fear of missing out" thing about probably not being "good" enough to be a private member, or even just the guest of a member.

But now I'm ok about that.

Imagaine meeting someone for the first time surrounded by photos of female genitalia.

Yeah, real classy.

OK, I've now seen the wallpaper for myself and I'm going to give the Duke and Duchess a pass on this.

Yes, it's made up of both male and female genitalia - but you may not realise that at first.

Here is an "Architectural Digest" article about it.

However, don't open the link if you really do not wish to have these images in your mind.

Be edgy and provocative I guess, but really why bother, isn't that getting a bit passe too.

https://www-architecturaldigest-com....first-date/amp
Old 07-26-2020, 11:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Wow, that's some classy joint the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had their blind date/first date together in.

I was feeling that "fear of missing out" thing about probably not being "good" enough to be a private member, or even just the guest of a member.

Imagaine meeting someone for the first time surrounded by photos of female genitalia.

Yeah, real classy.
https://www.deanstreettownhouse.com/restaurant
Scrolling pictures on the website for the Dean Street Restaurant it does show some quite over the top ? lurid artwork by "emerging British artists". However, the food looks good

Who recommended these two meet up at this restaurant which also includes bedrooms and private dining. A little history: "Soho House began in London's Greek Street in 1995, when founder Nick Jones was offered the space above his restaurant, Cafe Boheme. It could only be accessed via a small door, inspiring Nick to turn the townhouse into a members’ club for the local artists and actors who ate downstairs."

I can hardly wait for the book, or not.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
https://www.deanstreettownhouse.com/restaurant
Scrolling pictures on the website for the Dean Street Restaurant it does show some quite over the top ? lurid artwork by "emerging British artists". However, the food looks good

Who recommended these two meet up at this restaurant which also includes bedrooms and private dining. A little history: "Soho House began in London's Greek Street in 1995, when founder Nick Jones was offered the space above his restaurant, Cafe Boheme. It could only be accessed via a small door, inspiring Nick to turn the townhouse into a members’ club for the local artists and actors who ate downstairs."

I can hardly wait for the book, or not.

They only had eyes for each other apparently Lady Daly, so guess that makes it ok.

They didn't even nibble their nibbles. (The details in this book! Amazing.)

And they returned the next night - going in via the door that the fish from Billingsgate Market is brought in by - so if they did notice the wallpaper, they mustn't have minded it too much.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:10 AM
Aristocracy

I think Meghan tapped into Harry's longstanding anger (rightly or wrongly) at the royal establishment, and maybe even at his father for reasons he (rightly or wrongly) related to his mother. I don't lay all of this mess at Meghan's feet.That being said, this book (it's obvious that they actively or tacitly supported its publication) tells me that Harry's personality/mental state/situation combined with Meghan's personality (as I observe it from a great distance) and the hypercritical and sometimes blatantly racist press coverage of Meghan was a lethal combination. I do agree with another poster who commented that Harry was always like a bomb waiting to go off. That being said, I don't want them to be miserable. I do want them to lay low for a while. I'm not sure either of those two things are likely to happen anytime soon.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
There was another DM article quoting a different excerpt from the book where it is claimed that Charles was "crushed" when Harry confirmed Meghan was his girlfriend because the announcement coincided with and overshadowed Charles' Middle East tour.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml#newcomment
I read that earlier, and now I’m annoyed all over again. I don’t think Harry intended to hurt his father, but I think this is a good example of his selfishness and thoughtlessness. 20 minutes?
Old 07-27-2020, 12:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

It wasn't Harry confirming Meghan as his girlfriend though. It was the media breaking the story.

My question about this book: according to Scobie he had at least two sources for all his stories so who were the two people in the bathroom with Meghan, who then spoke to him, to tell us that she sent texts to her father from the bath?

Who else was in the room when Harry and The Queen had their private lunch?

Either the royal staff are leaking like sieves, Scobie is lying or Harry and Meghan have co-operated massively in the writing of this book ... either directly or by telling their friends what to say.

This smells of Diana and the Morton book all over again.

They do come across as whiney children who didn't get their own way so quit ... which Harry has a history of doing anyway ... remember he said in November 2014 he wanted to do a 20 year army career but then in February, after being told he had to do a couple of years desk work, he announced he was leaving.

I hope they find happiness together in the US because I don't see them being welcomed back to the UK, even by their family after this book.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:41 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Personally I feel that we would have seen a problem with Harry even if he hadn’t married Meghan . It was just bound to happen. He really seems to have became obsessed with his popularity to the point where he really is under the impression that the monarchy cannot do without him.
He expected the Diana dust to last forever and spread to Meghan. Think about it over the years he got away with things other royals would have been crucified for . But he just made people laugh and go oh, what a lad our Harry. He just wasn’t expecting the backlash with Meghan. He expected the press to continue that goodwill and support forever. Now he is convinced it is still there and looking for a support group.

I know I'm being skeptical, but I always think that the reason why he created Sentebale and Invictus was because he had a major scandal shortly before (Nazi uniform and Las Vegas incident).

ETA: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hy-claims.html

It must be their first attempt at stealing the spotlight because it certainly wasn't the last, and I also blame Harry on this one considering he knows the drill.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:44 AM
Courtier

I don't know if they cooperated with this book or not but it looks like they did. It makes them look whiney, spoiled and petulant. Especially Harry - Meghan you can say didn't know much about the royal family so she might not know better. I think there's no way they can go back to the royals now and they need to be cut off completely. There's no reason not to - they've already put out a book that paints the royals in a negative light.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post

Yeah, real classy.

OK, I've now seen the wallpaper for myself and I'm going to give the Duke and Duchess a pass on this.

Yes, it's made up of both male and female genitalia - but you may not realise that at first.

Here is an "Architectural Digest" article about it.

However, don't open the link if you really do not wish to have these images in your mind.

Be edgy and provocative I guess, but really why bother, isn't that getting a bit passe too.

https://www-architecturaldigest-com....first-date/amp
Soho House isn't some kind of brothel. It's a perfectly respectable and in fact very successful group of private members clubs, hotels and restaurants. It's expanding in spite of Covid.

The founder of Soho House, Nick Jones, is an old friend of Charles's and a donor to his charities. In fact Prince Charles opened the White City hotel which is part of the Solo House properties, and he is believed to be a member.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:27 AM
Courtier

Either the authors have made half of it up or there are some major leaks coming from somewhere ... and it's hard to believe that they're coming from the royal staff, because you wouldn't leak stuff that makes you look bad. And the royal staff presumably did not sit in the bathroom whilst Meghan was in the bath!

What a mess all this is.

According to one of the papers today:

Finding Freedom claims there was no feud between the Duchesses of Cambridge and Sussex – they simply had nothing in common.

The book states that the press were too quick to blame the decision of the Sussexes to move to Windsor – removing themselves from the Kensington Palace umbrella – on the “duelling duchesses”, the authors say, when it was Harry who felt suffocated by his brother.

Ms Durand and Mr Scobie write: “The truth was that Meghan and Kate just didn’t know each other that well.”

That's interesting. I think the press have made a big deal about the fact that Kate and Meghan didn't become bosom buddies, which isn't fair to either of them. Just because your partners are siblings, or your partners are close friends, doesn't mean that you have to be best friends. It's lovely if that happens, but it often doesn't, especially if the two people have very different personalities. It doesn't mean that either of them are bad people, just that they're not each other's cup of tea.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Sussexes have not been shy in taking legal action when they feel they have been wronged by the press publishing information relating to them so it will be interesting to see if they take any legal action regarding this book.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:14 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It wasn't Harry confirming Meghan as his girlfriend though. It was the media breaking the story.
It was Harry confirming that Meghan was his girlfriend by issuing a statement that Meghan had been abused and harassed since the news of their relationship broke. He issued the statement while Charles and Camilla were visiting Bahrain as part of their 2016 tour of the Middle East.

Quote:
My question about this book: according to Scobie he had at least two sources for all his stories so who were the two people in the bathroom with Meghan, who then spoke to him, to tell us that she sent texts to her father from the bath?

Who else was in the room when Harry and The Queen had their private lunch?

Either the royal staff are leaking like sieves, Scobie is lying or Harry and Meghan have co-operated massively in the writing of this book ... either directly or by telling their friends what to say.

This smells of Diana and the Morton book all over again.
Two people would not have to be at the lunch or in the bathroom, it just means that Meghan and/or Harry relayed these incidents to two people, or in the case of Facetime, one of the sources could have been the party she was Facetime-ing with.

Nevertheless I do think that you are right that they did "massively" cooperate with the book, not merely by giving the greenlight to multiple friends to answer questions but the nitty-gritty details suggests to me that Harry or Meghan wordsmithed the responses.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:16 AM
Royal Highness

This book is Andrew Morton-Diana redux. You would think that Harry would have learned from his mother that this type of thing eventually backfires on you. JMHO
Old 07-27-2020, 06:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

The original Morton book was Diana Her True Story which came out in 1992. She denied any involvement.

The second Morton book is the one in which he uses the tapes he made from the interviews she gave him for the first book.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
This book is Andrew Morton-Diana redux. You would think that Harry would have learned from his mother that this type of thing eventually backfires on you. JMHO
I do wonder if P.Harry realizes this though...did anyone explain at some point that his mother also did some things that maybe didn't help in a constructive way (however understandable it was from a 'scorned spouse' point of view)..or did everybody think the subject too painful after Diana died?
Old 07-27-2020, 07:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
I do wonder if P.Harry realizes this though...did anyone explain at some point that his mother also did some things that maybe didn't help in a constructive way (however understandable it was from a 'scorned spouse' point of view)..or did everybody think the subject too painful after Diana died?

I’m beginning to think that Meghan just encourages some of Harry’s worst impulses rather than being a stabilizing and rational force.

She could have made a huge impact by staying inside the family rather than blaming them for what seems to be everything. JMHO
Old 07-27-2020, 07:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I’m beginning to think that Meghan just encourages some of Harry’s worst impulses rather than being a stabilizing and rational force.

She could have made a huge impact by staying inside the family rather than blaming them for what seems to be everything. JMHO
Oh, I think that’s true....and probably vice versa as well. I think Meghan encourages Harry’s deep-seated insecurity about his place in the family, which seems to be at the root of so many of his actions. I suspect she plays up his fears that he’s not valued by the BRF as well as her own belief in him, and as a result, he thinks she can do no wrong, that his family are the bad guys. He enables her worst tendencies (ex: “whatever Meghan wants, Meghan gets”). Personally, I think they bring out the worst in each other.

Closed Thread