Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting questions.

I don't think the rift between Harry and his family will be so big, they won't welcome him back. There will be some wounds to heal, but that I think will not be a big hindrance.
After all Harry wasn't a potential national security risk, not does he harbor questionable political views.
Harry will especially be welcomed back by the family should he divorce. Naturally.
Should he and Meghan decide to return, she will as his wife also be welcomed or at least accepted back. (Because it's impossible to gauge the BRF members feelings for Meghan at present. We simply don't know.)

But will Harry again have a public role? Or will he be put on grass?
I think he will, at least initially, be given some obscure charity he can focus on, without too much attention. (A half-Andrew so to speak.) It all depends under what circumstances he returns, when and under whose reign. As well as the public view on Harry.
He sure can forget all about having the same prominent role he had beforehand! Too much damage has been done.

Also, being welcomed back to the family, doesn't mean he will be physically together with the family. He may very well be de facto exiled, only to appear with the family a prominent events.

Meghan has a supporting role here, unless the family clearly believe she had no responsibility for this mess. I.e. they blame Harry for it all. She is her husband's wife, and that will be it! IMO. There will be no platform for her either.

Now for a hypothetical, but IMO far from unlikely, scenario. H&M divorce.
Statistically it is very much a possibility.
IMO it is a probability in regards to H&M.
Infatuations have a tendency to burn out, like a nova. I.e. dramatic but short-lived.
It is my impression that Harry was not happy before marrying Meghan.
I doubt very much he is happy in his present life and the future prospects...? Well...
He may one day look around in the mansion, they have borrowed. In a foreign country. In a different culture - in every definition of the word! I.e. a Hollywoodsk culture.
Looking at the calendar it's another day of doing... what?
He is no longer in contact with his family. He has AFAIK left most of his old friends behind. He is shunned by the public in his own country. The public in his new country don't care. That's a big culture shock for someone who has never known anything else.
He has no charities anymore. No purpose. Little contact with ordinary people, for whom he genuinely means something and for whom he can do something.

That will put a strain on even the happiest marriage and might very well plunge Harry into a genuine depression.
And Meghan. She is looking at a disillusioned shell of a husband who very likely will have lost his drive. Where is the dynamic Harry who wanted to change the world? You can't live on mirages in the long run.
So unless they find a purpose with their lives, in particular Harry, their marriage will face a serious crisis. - It's brutal psychology.

There is a very good chance I'll be wrong with this thought pattern, but there is also a good chance I'll be right.

Yes I agree with your scenario but also, who really cares so much about this couple now. They appeared so self absorbed before, now they are irrelevant

Last edited by a moderator:
It is beyond baffling. I often wonder if (pre Meghan) his every whim was granted and catered to growing up and he just expects... I get he was indulged but something is just not right with him IMO

I believe that was the case.
To me, more and more he seems like another Andrew- entitled, petulant, and resentful of the heir.

It's funny for people to think the BRF are 100% blameless in this matter. The Windsors did rapid response to this book as opposed to the previous ones are showing the hit dogs are hollering. And no one from the BRF is threatening to sue. The public attacks only increase interest. And the US press is not calling the Sussexes the bad guys as opposed to the British press, which is probably what's upsetting the royals and the Rota. They have no influence with media beyond its borders.

I understand that you feel there are things that the royal family could have handled better. But the reality is that Harry and Meghan also could have handled this better. I think what most people here are saying is that even if the royal family was in the wrong in each of these instances, this is a major overreaction.

It seems that Harry and Meghan are deeply hurt because they are not William and Kate's best friends. I understand their hurt but I don't understand lashing out in public. Frankly, this just vindicates any reservations William and Kate had about Meghan.

Maybe William was insensitive when he talked to Harry about slowing down, but does that justify such a high profile public attack? Do you really think that Harry has never done anything that has hurt William's feelings? So far, the worst complaints about Kate are that she didn't call enough. Maybe Kate should she have asked Meghan to go shopping but everyone feels excluded at some time or another. Not being invited to something you want to do can sting, but it happens to everyone. Can you honestly say that you you never excluded someone?

Perhaps Kate and William should have tried harder to protect Harry and Meghan's feelings during the Commonwealth services. But at the same time, it doesn't appear that Harry and Meghan cared about William and Kate's feelings when they were pressured to give up their role in the official procession for Harry and Meghan.

I hope Harry and Meghan can resolve their differences with the family but they are going to have to start putting things in perspective or they will n ever be happy.

I'm not so sure if the Sussexes are so irrelevant

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8564595/Finding-Freedom-Amazon-UKs-No-1-bestseller.html

No. 1 on Amazon UK, no. 14 in the US two weeks before release. The media hit pieces and palace pushback generated sales. The numbers may not have been so high if it weren't for the slamfest. People apparently want to read the whole book and make their own judgment.

Meghan's dad finally weighed in

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Meghan-Prince-Harry-bombshell-biography.html

Dad took a couple of hits in the book but DM brought him out to slam the Sussexes for complaining and that they allegedly did not help him. DM's star witness in Meghan's lawsuit just got damaged and the rag is doing clean up.

It's funny for people to think the BRF are 100% blameless in this matter. The Windsors did rapid response to this book as opposed to the previous ones are showing the hit dogs are hollering. And no one from the BRF is threatening to sue. The public attacks only increase interest. And the US press is not calling the Sussexes the bad guys as opposed to the British press, which is probably what's upsetting the royals and the Rota. They have no influence with media beyond its borders.

I agree that the BRF are not 100% blameless in how things have turned out, Madame Verseau.

The background checks on the Duchess of Sussex, when she first came into Prince Harry’s life, raised a lot of red flags, a lot of concern.

People within the Royal system knew a middle-aged, free-living, divorced women - from a lifestyle where it was considered “cool” to give wedding guest drugs - would not fit in.

However ...

The Duchess being bi-racial - a good fit for the Commonwealth.

Her and Harry’s obvious happiness with each other.

The Prince’s wish to be married rather than just have a long term live-in arrangement.

Meghan’s vivacity - a draw personally for the Queen, remember Sarah Ferguson.

Meghan expressing her willingness to do what would be required - shades of Diana loving country-life until she didn’t.

The Duchess being experienced, and being comfortable in the public eye.

The threat of being seen as racist if Meghan was rejected.

The “suck it up” remark to Her Majesty from her grandson, showing how off the deep end he may go if thwarted and his wishes/demands denied.

I think they crossed their fingers, hoped for the best, gave every assistance they could, covered a lot of awful behaviour up, and so on.

They took the lesser of two evils - having the couple “within”, rather than having them go rogue and running riot outside of the system.

Even though of course, that is where it has all ended up.

So yes, the BRF have had a hand in this, but I don’t think it could have gone any other way.

From the slights and insults being reported in the “Finding Freedom” book, I really believe everyone, family/staff etc, must have been put through the mill by them when they were in the UK.

No-one was able to soothe/settle the deep, deep rage we have been seeing spill everywhere from the Sussexes.

When people try to control things around them - and the Sussexes want to sort out the whole world - it can be a way of avoiding dealing with what’s within.

And we’re all getting to witness it.

I'm not so sure if the Sussexes are so irrelevant

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8564595/Finding-Freedom-Amazon-UKs-No-1-bestseller.html

No. 1 on Amazon UK, no. 14 in the US two weeks before release. The media hit pieces and palace pushback generated sales. The numbers may not have been so high if it weren't for the slamfest. People apparently want to read the whole book.

What’s your point even Lady Colin Campbell’s book is on the bestseller list! People love drama and want to read about the crap show that is the Sussex story!

What’s your point even Lady Colin Campbell’s book is on the bestseller list! People love drama and want to read about the crap show that is the Sussex story!

On the us best sellers list right now is Mary trump and John Bolton’s book. Trump speeches are great for cnn ratings but it doesn’t mean popular not by a long shot. It’s like trying to watch nascar for crashes. Entertaining but not substance

I guess with the pandemic, they're not going to be filming episodes of soap operas any time soon so this turns out to be the "social distancing" relief. Stay tuned for more episodes of "As The Stomach Churns".

This message brought to you by the letter S. :D

My question for Harry and Meghan, are they any happier now than when they were living in the UK. It seemed at least from the outside they both had enjoyed their work and were very involved with their charities and other activities related to being a working royal. It seemed a pretty prestigious life. Now what are they actually doing? I realize covid has put a damper on most peoples lives currently but what do they do every day, are they doing any meaningful work? After reading through this thread I've decided to preorder the book perhaps to glean some insight on what went wrong. They appeared so happy and hopeful on their wedding day. To go from all that to being holed up in someone else's home in the foothills of LA. They seem very whiny and immature now.

My question for Harry and Meghan, are they any happier now than when they were living in the UK. It seemed at least from the outside they both had enjoyed their work and were very involved with their charities and other activities related to being a working royal. It seemed a pretty prestigious life. Now what are they actually doing? I realize covid has put a damper on most peoples lives currently but what do they do every day, are they doing any meaningful work? After reading through this thread I've decided to preorder the book perhaps to glean some insight on what went wrong. They appeared so happy and hopeful on their wedding day. To go from all that to being holed up in someone else's home in the foothills of LA. They seem very whiny and immature now.
Most people tend to see happy on their wedding day.. and they were the centre of attention then, which I think is important to both of them.

Most people tend to see happy on their wedding day.. and they were the centre of attention then, which I think is important to both of them.
Well, that is definitely true isn't it. It just seems there was so much excitement and good will and now their lives seem in disarray. Perhaps they are very content and just laying low like many others these days.

Well, that is definitely true isn't it. It just seems there was so much excitement and good will and now their lives seem in disarray. Perhaps they are very content and just laying low like many others these days.

Um, maybe they are not all that happy. when they left, it was with the intention of making a new life, where they could earn their own money, do their own charity engagements, talk about issues more freely etc. And Covid has put paid to all that...
I suppose they may be happy in LA with their son.. but living in a strangers house does not seem very comfortable to me. Why not at least try and find a home of tehir own?

On the us best sellers list right now is Mary trump and John Bolton’s book. Trump speeches are great for cnn ratings but it doesn’t mean popular not by a long shot. It’s like trying to watch nascar for crashes. Entertaining but not substance

One of the bigwigs from Waterstones, the UK's biggest chain of bookshops, was interviewed on TV about the fact that people have been buying books from Amazon and other online sellers since lockdown started, and how he thinks bookshops are going to manage. He said that they hoped Mary Trump's book would save the book industry. I do hope he was joking ?. But, yes, crap sells!

Very good points, Sun Lion. Whatever reservations anyone had about Meghan, I don't think they had much choice but to hope things would turn out for the best. A lot of people will have been in a position where they had reservations about a friend or relative's choice of partner, but there's not a lot you can do about it.

And I think there was a lot of goodwill towards Meghan, and about the idea that anyone, even the Queen's grandson, could marry for love, and that it didn't matter about the other person's ethnicity or socio-economic background or whether they'd been married before or anything else. Even 50 years ago, people from all backgrounds were being disowned by their families for choosing a partner from another religion or race. Not to mention the fact that Charles married someone who ticked every box, and look how that turned out!

Last edited:
There appear to be a lot of references in this book to things that only friends would know and the assumption is that these friends are Meghan's not Harry's. I wonder if any of Harry's pre-Meghan friends are still in close contact with them and whether they are amongst the 100 sources for the book.

I've also been pondering the complaint that Harry had to take a back seat to more senior royals and was being held back so that he wouldn't eclipse them. It's an extraordinary complaint (if true) and one that I can't imagine receiving any sympathy from British friends because they'd understand that's how it has to be. Of course there are degrees of complaint but it isn't clear from the extracts to what extent it was just general grumbling about an accepted situation (which all BRF members probably do when their projects are curtailed or vetoed) or which specific issues built into a burning frustration that was a major factor in their departure.

I've also been thinking about the discrepancy between how Harry & Meghan described the Cambridge's support pre-wedding versus post-wedding. It seems to have started well enough but it appears that Harry's frustrations with his restricted role, resulting in tensions with William inevitably impacted on the relationship between their wives, which although was probably never destined to be a deep friendship, could have evolved into something mutually beneficial.

Overall, it's occurring to me that many of the 'complaints' cited in extracts might be overblown. We all know how it is when we let off steam to friends or family about niggling annoyances but imagine how that would look repeated months later in a book! It's possible that Meghan gave broad approval to her friends to 'set the record straight' about many of the false media stories without imagining they'd repeat every detail of her every petty whine & grumble, which would then be printed as a diatribe against her in-laws.

They've been away for months now and we know that time and distance can bring perspective to many situations. Things said and done during times of high emotion might be regretted on reflection and rifts can be healed but even if that were happening behind the scenes, this book has the potential to scupper any attempts at bridge-building or fence-mending. I feel very sad for them all but particularly for HMQ, who should be reaping the rewards for her lifetime of devoted service without the anxiety this must be causing her (on top of the Andrew mess).

I dont see what could have been done... They could not refuse to let H marry meghan, it would look awfully bad.. and if she was willing to do her best to fit in it could have worked. She is supposed to be an intelligent woman and could learn about what she needed to do. But IMO she ether didn't intend to stay that long.. and so didn't worry about fitting in.. or else she very much over estimated her agility to fit in... I don't know what she was thinking. I think if she had doubts on whether she could fit in and be a working royal duchess, why not say it out first and go ahead and marry H with the provision that she would not be a working royal...

It would have been unusual but not all THAT much..and its possible that the queen would have agreed that harry could go on doing his royal work and Meghan would be his wife in private. I think continuing with her acting career would have been difficult.. but she could have found some acceptable "arty" business or job to work at, and perhaps be a patron of a charity or 2, as a private person, rather than as a member of the RF..
Instead, she and Harry seem to have given the impression that they were keen to be full time royals, to start into the job quickly, rather than play herself in slowly as K had done.. and the queen gave them the important job of concentrating on the Commonwealth.. which I'm sure she would not have done had she not believed that they were committed to the work and interested and up to the job.. I think the queen was mistaken in that either they (or at least Meg) weren't committed, or weren't really up to teh job..

Last edited:
Um, maybe they are not all that happy. when they left, it was with the intention of making a new life, where they could earn their own money, do their own charity engagements, talk about issues more freely etc. And Covid has put paid to all that...
I suppose they may be happy in LA with their son.. but living in a strangers house does not seem very comfortable to me. Why not at least try and find a home of tehir own?

I am not sure they could afford a home similar to the house they are borrowing (maybe they could afford to rent, but possibly not to buy). And there would be a backlash if Charles paid for their housing in LA.

BTW, I understand they kept British security while they were temporarily in Canada. I assume that must be gone in LA. Are they paying now for private security?

I've also been thinking about the discrepancy between how Harry & Meghan described the Cambridge's support pre-wedding versus post-wedding. It seems to have started well enough but it appears that Harry's frustrations with his restricted role, resulting in tensions with William inevitably impacted on the relationship between their wives, which although was probably never destined to be a deep friendship, could have evolved into something mutually beneficial.

Given the scale of the discrepancy, I am now inclined to believe Harry and Meghan were less than sincere when they spoke about how great things were going with the family (the family that Meghan allegedly never had !).

In any case, the accusation that the couple's official role was downplayed is puzzling given that Meghan had official events with the Queen shortly after the wedding and had two high-profile Commonwealth tours in her first 18 months in the family with a pregnancy in between. In fact, Harry, who is just the Queen's grandson and not in direct line, was given a higher profile than the Queen's younger children for example, which in my opinion is actually wrong. Harry should not have that kind of seniority until his father were King.

Last edited:
I am not sure they could afford a home similar to the house they are borrowing (maybe they could afford to rent, but possibly not to buy). And there would be a backlash if Charles paid for their housing in LA.

BTW, I understand they kept British security while they were temporarily in Canada. I assume that must be gone in LA. Are they paying now for private security?

Given the scale of the discrepancy, I am now inclined to believe Harry and Meghan were less than sincere when they spoke about how great things were going with the family (the family that Meghan allegedly never had !).

In any case, the accusation that the couple's official role was downplayed is puzzling given that Meghan had official events shortly after the wedding and had two high-profile Commonwealth tours in her first 18 months in the family with a pregnancy in between. In fact, Harry, who is just the Queen's grandson and not in direct line, was given a higher profile than the Queen's younger children for example, which in my opinion is actually wrong. Harry should not have that kind of seniority until his father were King.

Someone is paying for their security and I doubt if they can afford it on top of household expenses even if they dont have to pay rent. Im sure security in LA is not cheap. Probably Charles is. But I would have felt that if they want to stay in LA, why not buy an affordable house.. and not go on taking hospitality from a stranger..
I think that harry was as usual too prone to say too much when he was going on about how Meg was loved by everyone in the RF.. when now, it seems they are trying to indicate that she didn't get support and was looked down on..
I think that probably the RF as a whole were willing to welcome her but maybe weren't all crazy about her.. and possibly as they got to know her they began to have reservations... But H doesn't seem to realise if he says something, adn then contradicts it later, people WILl remember what he said first and wonder if he's got it right..

In any case, the accusation that the couple's official role was downplayed is puzzling given that Meghan had official events with the Queen shortly after the wedding and had two high-profile Commonwealth tours in her first 18 months in the family with a pregnancy in between. In fact, Harry, who is just the Queen's grandson and not in direct line, was given a higher profile than the Queen's younger children for example, which in my opinion is actually wrong. Harry should not have that kind of seniority until his father were King.

According to Katie Nicholls, they are still house hunting...away from Beverly Hills and the Hollywood scene, hoping for more privacy and to give Archie a normal childhood. Even away from BH, these mansions costs many millions of dollars, so I don’t think H and M can truly afford that. I wonder just what their idea of a “normal childhood” is, lol. In the same article, Katie talks about how Archie is spending time with Doria, which is great, but I can’t help but think how sad it is that Charles will never really get to bond with his grandson. It’s expected that H and M will return to the UK for Christmas instead of at Balmoral (due to pandemic), so maybe then the family can actually talk to each other ...

I have to say that I’m inclined to agree with you. If they weren’t exaggerating, then how is it that she could speak about them not supporting her in a public interview, how could they both treat Harry’s family with such disrespect, such disdain?

Your last point is very well taken. I think it comes down to ego. Harry and Meghan are incredibly self-centered - everything is about them. It explains why they apparently loathe the Royal “system”, why they wanted to change it, why they have such disrespect for the Queen, Charles, William. Harry’s need to be “equal” with his brother colors everything - since he can never be equal, it must be that the entire institution is wrong. He just doesn’t understand or care that he is as loved as William, that has always been the case. Sadly, however, Harry equates “Royal standing” with love...and he doesn’t understand that just because he won’t be King doesn’t mean I he wouldn’t be or isn’t now valued.

According to Katie Nicholls, they are still house hunting...away from Beverly Hills and the Hollywood scene, hoping for more privacy and to give Archie a normal childhood. Even away from BH, these mansions costs many millions of dollars, so I don’t think H and M can truly afford that. I wonder just what their idea of a “normal childhood” is, lol. In the same article, Katie talks about how Archie is spending time with Doria, which is great, but I can’t help but think how sad it is that Charles will never really get to bond with his grandson. It’s expected that H and M will return to the UK for Christmas instead of at Balmoral (due to pandemic), so maybe then the family can actually talk to each other ...

I have to say that I’m inclined to agree with you. If they weren’t exaggerating, then how is it that she could speak about them not supporting her in a public interview, how could they both treat Harry’s family with such disrespect, such disdain?

cant be sure that they will come back for Christmas. Lord knows what will be happening in the terms of Covid then..and its quite possible that travelling wont be a good idea. Besides, I suspect that there is tension.. and if there wasn't before this book came out there surely will be now...
I wonder if they're really looking for a house. I feel they'll stick that one out as long as its available or till they can buy a big fancy one...

If everyone is able to put these issues behind them, or to the side, long enough for H&M to visit with the BRF over Christmas, they are all much better people than me.

I just can't see how anyone could manage it. After everything that's happened - the sheer effort it would take to stay calm and polite at the dinner table...

One of the bigwigs from Waterstones, the UK's biggest chain of bookshops, was interviewed on TV about the fact that people have been buying books from Amazon and other online sellers since lockdown started, and how he thinks bookshops are going to manage. He said that they hoped Mary Trump's book would save the book industry. I do hope he was joking ?. But, yes, crap sells!

Very good points, Sun Lion. Whatever reservations anyone had about Meghan, I don't think they had much choice but to hope things would turn out for the best. A lot of people will have been in a position where they had reservations about a friend or relative's choice of partner, but there's not a lot you can do about it.

And I think there was a lot of goodwill towards Meghan, and about the idea that anyone, even the Queen's grandson, could marry for love, and that it didn't matter about the other person's ethnicity or socio-economic background or whether they'd been married before or anything else. Even 50 years ago, people from all backgrounds were being disowned by their families for choosing a partner from another religion or race. Not to mention the fact that Charles married someone who ticked every box, and look how that turned out!

I don't think the Mary Trump book is necessarily crap. The subject maybe but its probably written well and she as a clinical psychologist possesses a good insight into people. I wouldn't buy it but I would pick it up if it was in front of me and read it.

I don't think this book is going to be badly written. They are professional writers.

I ordered books from hive.co.uk an independent bookshop hub but I didn't read that much during lockdown. Odd really.

Crap doesn't necessarily sell but War and Peace is never going to be a big hitter but Harry Potter will be. Books that appeal to the masses and spin a good yarn without being too taxing. I am so excited for JK Rowlings Strike book in September.

Last edited:
If everyone is able to put these issues behind them, or to the side, long enough for H&M to visit with the BRF over Christmas, they are all much better people than me.

I just can't see how anyone could manage it. After everything that's happened - the sheer effort it would take to stay calm and polite at the dinner table...

I hope they can manage to be polite.. but I dont think that they will be comfortable...and its probalby too soon to meet up for any length of time

Thank you Sun Lion for your well thought out response to Madame Verseau. However, I don't think she will get what you are saying at all as she seems too far into the "Sussexes are perfect and can do no wrong" mold.

No disrespect intended, just how I see it. Personally, I am trying to look at this from all sides and I am in agreement with most on here, that H&M have just proven their egos and selfishness for those reading the book to see.

It’s not like they’d fly in straight to the dining room table....it’s still a family, despite the rifts. Sure there will be tensions - anger, frustration, etc... but, these people need to talk, and they need to talk in person. The other alternative is to give up ...and that isn’t an option.

It’s not like they’d fly in straight to the dining room table....it’s still a family, despite the rifts. Sure there will be tensions - anger, frustration, etc... but, these people need to talk, and they need to talk in person. The other alternative is to give up ...and that isn’t an option.

I don't know if Christmas will be doable. It may be we are all physically distancing and the Queen and Duke are extremely elderly to have that many potential carriers around them.

It's likely they were entirely sincere if it all started off well. The initial warm welcomes and inclusion in the extended family could have elicited the positive response from the couple in their interview. There's no logical reason why they'd cook up a false scenario and I don't believe for a minute that they did. That's how it was at that time and their reportage of it matches what the BRF themselves have said about how they welcomed her.

It's likely they were entirely sincere if it all started off well. The initial warm welcomes and inclusion in the extended family could have elicited the positive response from the couple in their interview. There's no logical reason why they'd cook up a false scenario and I don't believe for a minute that they did. That's how it was at that time and their reportage of it matches what the BRF themselves have said about how they welcomed her.

THe RF are hardly likely to say they disliked her or did not welcome her.. but Harry and Meg seemed to ramp up "how happy the RF and indeed the Spencers and the corgis were" with Meghan... So it seems a bit odd that a year or so later, things went so very wrong.. Or that Harry could indicate that William had annoyed him by saying during the courtship that he should not rush things with "that girl".. and also that Will and K were all keen to meet her and get to know her. Both can hardly be true.

I don't know if Christmas will be doable. It may be we are all physically distancing and the Queen and Duke are extremely elderly to have that many potential carriers around them.

They’re pretty much getting together this Summer, and the Cambridges are visiting Charles and Camilla in August, so I think even if the family doesn’t stay at Sandringham, they will still get together. It might be that HM and the Duke see only a few people at a time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom