The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #381  
Old 07-25-2020, 04:34 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Someplace, United States
Posts: 72
I really want to believe that the Sussex’s didn’t have anything to do with the book, but Harry is Diana’s soon. It’s right out of her playbook.

I think this book isn’t going to make anyone look good. I find it hard to believe that Harry didn’t realize that sometimes Charles’ projects came before his. From reading what I have, IMO it makes the Sussex’s seem out of touch.
__________________

  #382  
Old 07-25-2020, 04:36 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
We know this? How? Its been surmised that Charles is helping out financially but there's been no credible statement that says this is so.



One reason that comes to my mind. They're family. People in families make mistakes and sometimes something that looks like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ends up being a pot of fool's gold. Should it happen that because of the pandemic, the Sussexes come to believe that they've really bitten off way more than they can chew, I'm sure the family would welcome them back home and to the "Firm" without second thoughts.
On a personal level I think Charles would like Harry to come back.. but on a working level NO. He is not going to be liked in the Uk after all that he and Meg hav said and done in the past 6 months or so. He chose to move to USA when the pandemic struck.. so presumably he preferred that to being in the UK.. so he shoudl stay there..
And I doubt if Charles wants Meghan back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akina21
Well , Charles is paying their bills , can't piss him off too much .
True. I think that Harry is peeved over WIll's natural question as to whether his relationship with Meghan was moving too fast and he is still sulky over this and over the fact that William is the future king and not him. And as Charles is the money giver, he probably does not want to offend him..
__________________

  #383  
Old 07-25-2020, 04:39 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,873
This book to me seems like the last few episodes of a series where all the tensions with the characters unravel. In other words, not a good thing for the Sussexes or anyone else close to them!
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
  #384  
Old 07-25-2020, 04:48 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Someplace, United States
Posts: 72
What Really Happened When Prince William and Prince Harry Had a Falling Out?

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...inding-freedom
  #385  
Old 07-25-2020, 05:13 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
What Really Happened When Prince William and Prince Harry Had a Falling Out?

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...inding-freedom
So if correct, and I guess the gist of it at least is correct.
Harry fell out with his brother because he, true or not, believed William disapproved of her.
And instead of telling his brother, his close relative, what he felt and give William the benefit of doubt, he reacted with bitterness?

Sounds like something I've heard before.
Why didn't Harry grab William by the wing-bone and ask: "What the H do you mean with: This girl?!?"

Well, it's not the first time someone in love have turned their back on people close and dear to them, in the defense of their new love.
How many family feuds have started on such a tenuous basis?

And of course William being human, would have been taken aback and probably felt hurt by Harry's reaction.
And if they didn't try to sit down and talk - and especially listen - the gap between them would have grown wider.

How tranquil the world would be, if people would only try and listen. - And how dull...

The problem in this is that logically the rest of the BRF senior members must also have expressed, what to Harry, were misgivings about Meghan. Otherwise he surely would have been able to live with "only" having an issue with his brother?
  #386  
Old 07-25-2020, 05:18 PM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,207
I'm finding the extracts from this book very upsetting. I have huge affection for Harry & William as they're the same age as my own children and when they lost their mother, I grieved for them.

I've said for years that Harry appears to be floundering, whereas William found an anchor with the Middletons. Harry has spoken openly about his emotional struggles and it's clear he felt he'd found his own anchor with Meghan. I wonder if his deep desire to secure her & his impatient enthusiasm to be married & become a father impeded his ability to see the reality of his own situation and convey the restrictions to Meghan. He said he told her about the news media etc but being married to Harry was always going to involve far more difficulties than just the media.

I don't think Harry had (or has now) a sufficient understanding of what his royal role is and for that I hold Prince Charles largely (but not wholly) responsible (the details of my argument on this would be better placed in another thread). Harry is compassionate and a hard worker but he's a hothead and outside of the military, he's a rebel. It looks to me as though he sold Meghan a vision of exciting enterprises where they could use their platform to promote great causes and have a global impact. What he probably didn't do (because he doesn't understand or accept it himself) is describe their future as one of subservience to the monarchy, which in reality is what his role is. He can have ideas and pet projects but they have to sit within the monarchy's overall work and be subject to his grandmother's, father's and brother's veto.

The extent to which Meghan is to blame for their unhappiness, their departure (and the nature of it) should be considered alongside how poorly prepared she was for her new life. Her main source of information on how it would be and her main guide on how to navigate it was Harry, who was probably the least qualified person to fulfil that role.

It's a huge mess resulting from a lack of appropriate leadership, which does not bode well for the future. I'll leave it there for now but I'll probably say more as the book reveals more.
  #387  
Old 07-25-2020, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
What Really Happened When Prince William and Prince Harry Had a Falling Out?

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...inding-freedom
Harry is so ridiculously thin-skinned. I’m sure William didn’t mean anything by “this girl”..He hadn’t met Meghan and Harry hadn’t been dating her long. If H had an issue with his brother not supporting him (from his POV), then instead of getting in a huff, he should have told William how he felt. They could have had a conversation. Instead, Harry blew him off ...and didn’t even keep up his relationship with poor little George and Charlotte, who probably wondered where their uncle went. Louis is like, “Uncle Harry, who?”
  #388  
Old 07-25-2020, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,120
The alarm bells should have been ringing when she gave the interview to Vanity Fair when they were just dating. She courted the press then. Ensuring she confirmed that her and Harry were dating and it wasn't rumours.

Another one out of the Diana playbook. In her case it was photographs outside the nursery where she worked posing with children. That was while her and Charles were dating. Putting pressure on Charles.
  #389  
Old 07-25-2020, 05:33 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I'm finding the extracts from this book very upsetting. I have huge affection for Harry & William as they're the same age as my own children and when they lost their mother, I grieved for them.

nderstanding of what his royal role is and for that I hold Prince Charles largely (but not wholly) responsible (the details of my argument on this would be better placed in another thread). Harry is compassionate and a hard worker but he's a hothead and outside of the military, he's a rebel. It looks to me as though he sold Meghan a vision of exciting enterprises where they could use their platform to promote great causes and have a global impact. What he probably didn't do (because he doesn't understand or accept it himself) is describe their future as one of subservience to the monarchy, which in reality is what his role is. He can have ideas and pet projects but they have to sit within the monarchy's overall work and be subject to his grandmother's, father's and brother's veto.

The extent to which Meghan is to blame for their unhappiness, their departure (and the nature of it) should be considered alongside how poorly prepared she was for her new life. Her main source of information on how it would be and her main guide on how to navigate it was Harry, who was probably the least qualified person to fulfil that role.

It's a huge mess resulting from a lack of appropriate leadership, which does not bode well for the future. I'll leave it there for now but I'll probably say more as the book reveals more.
What evidence is there that Megahn was "ill prepared" for her new life? She was the one who spoke of "hitting the ground running" and seemed to be very confidenet in her first year as a royal. Im sure she had the same preparation as other incoming wives...
  #390  
Old 07-25-2020, 05:39 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
What evidence is there that Megahn was "ill prepared" for her new life? She was the one who spoke of "hitting the ground running" and seemed to be very confidenet in her first year as a royal. Im sure she had the same preparation as other incoming wives...
I am not sure if she had time to receive the same preparation as the other wives. Their courtship was conducted flying back and forth across the Atlantic.
They were engaged in the November and married in May. I would agree she wanted to make a difference etc etc, and indeed was very confident but just how prepared was she for the life within the palace.
This could be why William had asked whatever the question was he allegedly asked. Possibly simply based on the timescale not the person.
  #391  
Old 07-25-2020, 05:46 PM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
What evidence is there that Megahn was "ill prepared" for her new life? She was the one who spoke of "hitting the ground running" and seemed to be very confidenet in her first year as a royal. Im sure she had the same preparation as other incoming wives...
For starters, saying she was "hitting the ground running" is a clear indication that she didn't realise her best option was to take a back seat to existing working royals in order to learn more about the BRF and how best she might be able to make a contribution. Being confident is definitely an asset but any incomer to a business or institution should spend some time absorbing the culture and observing how the experienced members conduct their work.

Which other 'incoming wives' would you say had the same preparation as Meghan?
  #392  
Old 07-25-2020, 05:56 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I am not sure if she had time to receive the same preparation as the other wives. Their courtship was conducted flying back and forth across the Atlantic.
They were engaged in the November and married in May. I would agree she wanted to make a difference etc etc, and indeed was very confident but just how prepared was she for the life within the palace.
This could be why William had asked whatever the question was he allegedly asked. Possibly simply based on the timescale not the person.
that's one reason why I felt (wen she was first Mooted as a bride for Harry) that she might find it hard to fit in.. because she had not spend more than a couple of holidays in the UK and didn't know the country. But people assured me that Meghan was highly intelligent and would learn everything she needed to know. And she was living in England with H for 6 months before they married.. so overall I think she had a reasonable chance to learn.. and presumably spent some of the 6 months learning about the UK and royal cutlture as well as getting her wedding dress etc.
  #393  
Old 07-25-2020, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,532
The latest extracts really throw W&K under the bus, saying they never liked Meghan, didn't welcome her and didn't support her.

Its really quite unsettling how much the book only ever shows H&Ms side of things and really goes for them. Given how much talk there is of bullying and unkind media attention towards Meghan if its found out there was any involvement from H&M, friends, aides or employed PR people then they will be in huge crisis. To be honest, as it stands anything short of suing the authors for breaching their privacy and telling lies will look like they endorse it.
  #394  
Old 07-25-2020, 06:02 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,784
If there were a problem with the marriage the queen should not have given consent as required by law because Harry was 5th in line to the throne at the time. As a councillor of state William should have spoken then or forever held his peace. Nor William should have agreed to be the best man. Since the queen signed off more effort should have given for the support. These snitching courtiers allegedly at the behest of royals only gave the House of Windsor a black eye.

I think Scobie and Durand's days on the royal beat are numbered or over. But I think the intent to put other BRF members in a bad light showed everyone messed up here. And the Sussexes per their rep did not contribute to the book.
  #395  
Old 07-25-2020, 06:03 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
that's one reason why I felt (wen she was first Mooted as a bride for Harry) that she might find it hard to fit in.. because she had not spend more than a couple of holidays in the UK and didn't know the country. But people assured me that Meghan was highly intelligent and would learn everything she needed to know. And she was living in England with H for 6 months before they married.. so overall I think she had a reasonable chance to learn.. and presumably spent some of the 6 months learning about the UK and royal cutlture as well as getting her wedding dress etc.
We can agree to disagree on this one.
  #396  
Old 07-25-2020, 06:06 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Someplace, United States
Posts: 72
I thought Omid was supposed to be a mouth piece for the Sussex’s. So far he isn’t doing them any favors!
  #397  
Old 07-25-2020, 06:07 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
For starters, saying she was "hitting the ground running" is a clear indication that she didn't realise her best option was to take a back seat to existing working royals in order to learn more about the BRF and how best she might be able to make a contribution. Being confident is definitely an asset but any incomer to a business or institution should spend some time absorbing the culture and observing how the experienced members conduct their work.

Which other 'incoming wives' would you say had the same preparation as Meghan?
I was surprised that Meg started with full time engagements so soon, but I put it down to the fact that the queen's getting older and wanted her granddaughters in law to be both working and taking on their royal roles...and also due ot the fact that Meg was a trained public speaker and confident... and seemed eager to get out there and start doing the job...so they let her jum pin.
I am guessing that it was considered that she was confident, that she had learned during her engagement, and would learn the rest of the job quickly...
I dont think that Kate had any more training than Meghan.. I'd say that both of them had some training during their months of being engaged.. and that Kate then did a a small programme of work in her first few years of marriage...but Meg was a more outgoing, confident, activist sort of person and felt able to get started and learn on the job.
Did she know the UK well? No, of course not.. but IMO she was if you like ovr confident and felt that she'd soon get the hang of everything and maybe change a few things she didn't like... But I dont think she was "poorly prepared"....
  #398  
Old 07-25-2020, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
We know this? How? Its been surmised that Charles is helping out financially but there's been no credible statement that says this is so.



One reason that comes to my mind. They're family. People in families make mistakes and sometimes something that looks like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ends up being a pot of fool's gold. Should it happen that because of the pandemic, the Sussexes come to believe that they've really bitten off way more than they can chew, I'm sure the family would welcome them back home and to the "Firm" without second thoughts.
THANK YOU for saying this. Many- not all - families experience blow ups or betrayals or disappointments, and most-not all-work it out and resume a dignified and cordial relationship.

Harry and Meghan haven’t cheated in their marriage or committed crimes or behaved in boorish fashion. I think it’s likely that this is a tempest in a tea cup which will blow over when ‘peace talks’ are held. There are certainly ways to make the H & M situation tolerable for all.

With the exception of Edward VIII, the BRF has found a way to make it work when family members have strayed and stumbled.

I frankly find the criticism a bit over the top. What actually happened has been embellished in extraordinary fashion and interpreted in unrealistic fashion.

And I don’t find it at all objectionable that a wealthy parent supports and subsidizes his/her child. Quite the opposite.
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
  #399  
Old 07-25-2020, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,532
The Cambridge's (or more likely those close to them) have hit back at claims they didn't make Meghan welcome:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...han-Harry.html

According to the friends, the Cambridges 'welcomed Meghan with open arms' by inviting her to Anmer Hall, their family home in Norfolk, where Kate personally cooked vegan meals for her brother-in-law's then fiance.

William and Kate also invited Meghan's friends, bridesmaids and page boys to a party before her wedding to Harry in May 2018, and keen tennis fan Kate asked Meghan to join her in the Royal Box at Wimbledon for two successive years.

'It's just completely wrong to suggest they didn't talk and plain wrong to say the Cambridges weren't welcoming,' a friend told The Mail on Sunday.


...In an indication of the mistrust that developed between the two women, a friend of the Cambridges acknowledged that Kate had 'snubbed' Meghan at the Commonwealth Service in March which marked her last appearance as a working Royal.

The friend said her actions were born 'out of sheer frustration' at Harry and Meghan's behaviour over their withdrawal from Royal life, announced on Instagram, and the launch of the Sussex Royal website.

The source acknowledged that Kate snubbed Meghan at the West Door of Westminster Abbey, but added: 'That was after the Sussexes had issued that incendiary statement and website.'

But friends of the Cambridges dismissed claims in Finding Freedom that Kate and Meghan 'barely exchanged a word' at the King Power Royal Charity Polo Day last year.

In what was intended as a public show of solidarity, Harry was cheered on the polo field by Meghan and baby Archie, and William by Kate and their three children, George, seven, Charlotte, five and Louis, two.

'Everyone saw Kate and Meghan chatting. She [Meghan] had the baby and it was really sweet,' one pal insisted. 'George went up to Archie and gently stroked his head. Louis was larking around and making Meghan laugh - it was really positive and happy.'

However, allies of the Cambridges accept that the once close relationship between the brothers is now 'strained' and best described as 'on and off'.

They said William had been left 'sad' and 'disappointed' by the claims in Finding Freedom.
  #400  
Old 07-25-2020, 06:14 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
THANK YOU for saying this. Many- not all - families experience blow ups or betrayals or disappointments, and most-not all-work it out and resume a dignified and cordial relationship.

Harry and Meghan haven’t cheated in their marriage or committed crimes or behaved in boorish fashion. I think it’s likely that this is a tempest in a tea cup which will blow over when ‘peace talks’ are held. There are certainly ways to make the H & M situation tolerable for all.

With the exception of Edward VIII, the BRF has found a way to make it work when family members have strayed and stumbled.

I frankly find the criticism a bit over the top. What actually happened has been embellished in extraordinary fashion and interpreted in unrealistic fashion.

And I don’t find it at all objectionable that a wealthy parent supports and subsidizes his/her child. Quite the opposite.
I dont think its a good thing for wealthy parents to subsidize their children.. and esp. when the son says that he and his wife want financial independence.. it seems very odd to go on taking money from Rich Dad.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia baby names baptism birth britain britannia british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs dresses dubai duchess of sussex duke of sussex earl of snowdon general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf hello! history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan jewellery kensington palace king edward vii lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg medical meghan markle monarchy nepalese royal family nepalese royal jewels pless prince constantijn prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn walailak princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii royal jewels royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family sussex swedish queen thai royal family tradition uae customs united states wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×